Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)?
ERblue4ever Wrote:Here is my Top 15. None of these players are in the same class as Todd May. I watched him play during his career. I watch alot alot of high school basketball.

1. Todd May-Virgie
2. John Pelfrey-Paintsville
3.JR Vanhoose-Paintsville
4. Dan Hall-Betsy Layne5.Jon Bentley-Hazard
6.Myron Mindolavic-Elkhorn City (Spelling????)
7.Mark Surgalsk- Ashland
8. Mike May-Virgie
9. Craig Ratliff-Paintsville
10. Josh Mckenzie-Paintsville
11.Mike Scott- Greenup Co. (Snowman)
12. Kyle Umberger- Ashland
13. Steve Smith- Mcdowell
14. Jackson Julson-East Carter
15.Larry Stamper- Lee Co.
It amazes me that Dan Hall gets constantly mentioned in these things. Dan could pass the ball well for a big man, but that was about it. He was a big wuss in the middle that you could push around and have your way with. . Look I am only 6'1" and I once sent a ball 10 rows into the stands on him. Dan Hall never played at UK and then in turn never played much when he went to Marshall. The most over rated player that I can think of.

How can Larry Stamper be rated below most of these guys? He had a pretty solid career at UK on some pretty good teams. How can you rank him below Mike May, Craig Ratliff, and Josh McKenzie in particular. I dont like your list at all, as it may show your age somewhat, but I guess every one is entitled to their opinion.

I personally would have Mike Castle from the early days of Johnson Central and Alvin Ratliff from Meade Memorial, and Carrol Burchett from Flat Gap, above a big chunk of the guys that you have listed.

But I agree with you that Todd May is probaly the best to have played from this area, with VanHoose a very close second. VanHoose was more of a true center, while May was more of a forward type talent. They had different styles.
Messages In This Thread
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)? - by Mr.Kimball - 08-16-2008, 10:12 AM