Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)?
letthebighogroot Wrote:Or how much they know.....Pikeville college stats show that Mr. May averaged 41.4 ppg in 86. Giving him 10 made free throws per contest (an estimate) leaves him with 31.4 on made field goals. If he shot 53 percent that means he took roughly 30 shots per ballgame, for arguements sake we'll call it 29. Show me the last "team player" that averaged 29 shots a ballgame and you have shown me the first one also.

In my book, a "team player" does what is needed to help his team win games, whatever that may be. If that is scoring points, making assists, grabbing rebounds, or shutting down the other team's best player on defense, the team player does what is needed.

Now, Todd May was easily the best scorer on both his Virgie and his Pikeville College teams. If they needed him to score 30-40 points for his team to have the best chance to win, then how is that not being a team player? Like another poster mentioned on here, many great players in history have had high PPG averages and took a lot of shots. I only consider that selfish if the player in question is hurting the team by taking all those shots. With regard to May, that was certainly not the case. Bottom line, would you want a fairly even shot distribution amongst your starters, or would you want the best player taking the majority of the shots?

In the end, one has to remember that you can't control who you play with. All you can do is your best as a player to help your team win. VanHoose had a better supporting cast, so he didn't have to do as much for his team to win. May did.
If the roles were reversed, and VanHoose didn't have such good players around him, he likely would have averaged more points but may not have his championship ring. And vice versa for May.

In the end, if you disregard May's better stats and VanHoose's championship, I go by what I saw when I watched them play. And even though VanHoose was a terrific inside player, he didn't have May's outside shooting ability. Having seen them both in person, I am confident in saying that May was the better player.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Messages In This Thread
Top 5 Big Men All-Time in the Mountains (14th, 15th, 16th)? - by More Cowbell - 08-25-2008, 05:21 PM