Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major Scandal Coming for KHSAA Referees?
OffTheHook Wrote:I have heard for years that they have bet on Sweet 16 games, while reffing the games. BUT, those games that you have listed. Those were some pretty darn GOOD teams that won those games.

I actually got that off KSR, they were the one's who wrote it lol.
Strikeout King Wrote:I actually got that off KSR, they were the one's who wrote it lol.

They're just trying to piss the Louisville people off in any way. Cause they know that the "EKY Teams" are better teams than the Louisville teams...LOL!

Just kidding people....somewhat...LOL!! :biggrin:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
^ lol :biggrin:

But being serious, it's wrong for people to bet on high school games. Come on people these are high school kids playing the game(s) that they love to play. They play with heart, passion and integrity, They play sport(s) to make it to the next level and better there life's.
^ I agree 100% and they don't need some jerk off trying to win a buck by steering a game in the direction they want it to go! If it's true...I hope they throw every last one of them, that is involved, in prison!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

“Relax, all right? Don’t try to strike everybody out. Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they’re fascist. Throw some ground balls – it’s more democratic.”

Crash Davis
^ I agree 100%

I LOVE High School Sports more than I do College and Professional. To me it's more intense and get's your adrenaline going. Just more fun to watch
I have witnessed several regional tournament games in which the results were flat out determined by the officials. I used to think it was human error or the official had a vendetta against a coach. However, now I wonder how many of those games have been stolen for financial game for the official. I watched an 11th region final a couple years ago that the winner was determined by a "phantom" foul with 2 seconds to go in the game. It makes one think. I don't think this problem is isolated to eastern Kentucky.

Several years ago a group of high school officials were arrested by the Lexington police for gambling on Sweet 16 games. They actually were running a book and taking bets. The officials were never even suspended by the KHSAA.
rojas Wrote:I have witnessed several regional tournament games in which the results were flat out determined by the officials. I used to think it was human error or the official had a vendetta against a coach. However, now I wonder how many of those games have been stolen for financial game for the official. I watched an 11th region final a couple years ago that the winner was determined by a "phantom" foul with 2 seconds to go in the game. It makes one think. I don't think this problem is isolated to eastern Kentucky.

Several years ago a group of high school officials were arrested by the Lexington police for gambling on Sweet 16 games. They actually were running a book and taking bets. The officials were never even suspended by the KHSAA.

I think in some cases, bribes are also present. I have heard some people who wouldn't just go running around spreading stuff unless they had good sources and reasoning say that an official (has been mentioned in this thread already, not been arrested) took a bribe to make sure a team did not advance in the post season. I normally don't think anything of stuff like that, but if you saw the final 5-6 minutes of this game, you would at least raise an eyebrow. It is sickening every time I see this person now.

And while it is no secret that most of the state roots against the Louisville teams, I have watched most of those games and never came away thinking "Boy, they got screwed". If anything, the calls for Catholic against Christian County this year by one official were just pitiful. All of this does make one think. In some games I have seen, 2 of the 3 will miss calls, but it seems like there is always one that takes control.

Hopefully this is all just my imagination. High School athletics is a big part of my life and I want to see it played fair and stay exciting.
Looks to me like it is just some more pillbillies getting nabbed. Every call an official makes in any competition makes half the crowd mad. A thankless job and less and less folks are going into the ranks because of fan attitudes toward them. And I think we are starting to see the results of this attrition in all competitions.
they would not have let the teams get to the state title if this were the case
The overwhelming majority of men and women who officiate do so because they love it. In order to get more people who will join them and weed out the few bad apples is to make it worth their time. There are solutions to the problem but there seems to be reluctance to break the tradition. I like what some states are doing. They are playing boy/girl double headers at the varsity level primarily on Friday and Saturday. JV and freshmen games are one night during the week and early on Saturday before the varsity.
Young officials do those games and get paid the fee for two games for one night's service. More people can officiate if they do not have to get up at six the next morning to be at work. Three officials doing two games in one night for double the money would make it more attractive to bring in more officials and you can choose based on abliity to officate. Now we have to choose just because they take the test and pay the fees.
As far as the Louisville teams getting shafted in state championships is horse hockey. Those teams lose when coaching becomes a factor. Talent can only win so much without good coaching. If you want to talk about fixed games, lets discuss the 1986 state tournament game between Pleasure Ridge Park and Hazard. Most everyone who watched that game regardless of where they were from felt like Hazard got shafted. KY Jelly wasn't even used.
Paducah vs. Scott County. That one was horrible as well.
hypersport Wrote:Paducah vs. Scott County. That one was horrible as well.

If you are referring to the 1999 sweet 16 semi, then you are absolutely correct. The pushing call on the kid at the end of the game while he was boxing out is still the worst call I have ever seen in basketball. That includes pro, college, high school, and the grade school ranks. It allowed Scott Co. to go on and play for the state title. But thats when karma caught up with them. Ballard destroyed Scott Co.
EKY_Basketball Wrote:If you are referring to the 1999 sweet 16 semi, then you are absolutely correct. The pushing call on the kid at the end of the game while he was boxing out is still the worst call I have ever seen in basketball. That includes pro, college, high school, and the grade school ranks. It allowed Scott Co. to go on and play for the state title. But thats when karma caught up with them. Ballard destroyed Scott Co.

Hutton called the 2010 quarter-final Sweet Sixteen game with Christian Co. vs Scott Co. when they fouled out 4 of the top 6 players for Scott Co. Scott Co. went on to win the game, then I'm pretty sure he also called the Semi-final game with Scott Co. vs Ballard when they fouled out three of the top 6 players for Scott Co.

Hutton and crew made sure Scott Co. didn't make it to the finals to play Shelby Valley.
LOL. He just fouled out the 4 players that Scott County recruited to play for them.
OrangenowBlue Wrote:LOL. He just fouled out the 4 players that Scott County recruited to play for them.

Yeah, sort of ironic though, especially after the talk of fixing games and betting on the outcome of games.
goodguy Wrote:Hutton called the 2010 quarter-final Sweet Sixteen game with Christian Co. vs Scott Co. when they fouled out 4 of the top 6 players for Scott Co. Scott Co. went on to win the game, then I'm pretty sure he also called the Semi-final game with Scott Co. vs Ballard when they fouled out three of the top 6 players for Scott Co.

Hutton and crew made sure Scott Co. didn't make it to the finals to play Shelby Valley.

When I read about the rumors of gambling among officials, these were 2 of 3 games I was thinking of that Hutton officiated. Hutton was obvious in his intentions in these two games.
Some refs just don't care about the game or the kids. A lot of times they make decisions based on how they feel about a coach, player or school. Not all refs, but the impact of a few can be devastating to the game. They should be evaluated by a secret panel in each district, and that panel should watch the film of the game to make sure that there is no pattern. Coaches evaluating is worthless. The refs can tell how they got rated by coaches.