Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senate 2014 Pick'em
When do the East Coast polls close?
South Dakota-R
Kentucky-R
Arkansas-R
Louisiana-Too Close to call. The run-off is anybody's guess. Too many factors come into play with a run-off. My guess is that Landruea will win in the runoff, with the primary reason being that Republicans will have easily taken control of the Senate after tonight, and will likely pull funding from the republican candidate if its too close to call. The democrats will throw every dime and asset they have towards that race between now and dec 6th. Then again, this race could also influence the committee make-up. Say a committee with 18 members might have a makeup of 10-8 if the Senate is 54-46 GOP. But if it goes 55-45, it might tip the committee make up to 11-7. If this race determines that, the GOP and its SuperPAC allies will flood the market with ads and endorsements. We'll have to see.
Colorado-R
Alaska-R
Iowa-R
Georgia-R
Kansas-R
North Carolina-D
New Hampshire-D
Michigan-D
Virginia-D
New Mexico-D

I'm not sure if its been mentioned, but West Virginia is another GOP pickup.

My prediction is an optimistic one, but I believe the energy is there -- therefor, after tonight it will be 53-46 (with Louisiana undecided).

--------------------

So what does this mean? well.... Obamacare can be repealed with just 51 votes, or 50 and the vice presidency. Meaning that in 2016, we stand a good shot of repealing it. Most people say that it needs 60 votes to beat a filibuster, but this isn't so. Through a process of reconciliation in the senate, only 51 votes are needed to pass legislation. These bills can not be filibustered. They have a debate time limit attached. About 85% (According to paul ryan) of the Healthcare Reform bill is eligible for reconciliation, as it pertains to spending and taxes. The supreme court ruled that it was a tax, and thus the unintended consequence for the obama adminstration was that it is now hanging by a thread. And tonight, the thread gets cut!
LWC....I believe they close at 6 p.m. EST. However, if you are in line at that time, then you may vote even if that line extends over an hour.
Granny Bear, LWC,

It varies widely throughout the east coast. Here are the times I can confirm:

Ohio, West Virginia, North Carolina - 7:30
Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Vermont - 7:00
Penn, Maryland, NJ, Delaware, Alabama, Miss, Tenn, Mass, Conn, RI, Maine, Michigan - 8:00
Kentucky, Indiana, 6pm-7pm depending on area
New York, Louisana - 9pm
Arkansas - 830
NH - 7pm and 8pm depending on the area
It looks like I missed on Kansas and North Carolina. I am assuming that Republicans will take Louisiana in the run-off election next month. I cannot see any amount of money convincing voters to vote to send Landrieu back to Washington after she lost her clout in the Senate. Her best argument was incumbency and that argument is gone. Her only shot at keeping the seat was for Democrats to avoid losing the majority on election day.

R-South Dakota
R-Kentucky
R-Arkansas
R-Louisiana
R-Colorado
R-Alaska
R-Iowa
R-Georgia

I-Kansas
D-North Carolina
D-New Hampshire
D-Michigan
D-Virginia
D-New Mexico
I only missed North Carolina. Nearly missed virginia. I'm in that state, and the energy was crazy for gillespie. 3 weeks ago there were polls showing him down a legitimate 15-20%. Today, the election goes into overtime with a recount and canvas. Probably a few lawsuits too.
Well, I missed two.
I sure thought that Nunn had a good shot in Georgia, and I don't believe anybody thought Hagan would lose in NC.
Glad I was wrong on both accounts.