Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
OSH's Rock Music Lyrics" Name that Tune " Game
(12-28-2020, 11:44 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 08:46 PM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 05:59 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: As someone who has had a passionate interest in science and space since I was a child and has taught science and math, these lyrics always struck a chord:

"Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
 In fact, it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them if you did
And all this science I don't understand
It's just my job five days a week"

Rocket Man by Elton John

Nice, granny. You're good at this.  I've seen Elton in concert many times(first time was in '79).  He always gives the fans a great show.

Here's one that I bet granny likes.  It's always been a favorite of mine.  I fell in love with it the first time I heard it. Can you name it?  One bonus point for being able to name the songwriter of  this classic:  

"Showed your photograph
To some old gray-bearded men
Sitting on a bench outside a gen'ral store
They said "yes, she's been here"
But their memory wasn't clear
Was it yesterday?
No, wait, the day before?"

I really like this song. I knew the lyrics, but I could not place them.  I ended up having to Google them, so I'm out.
(12-29-2020, 02:34 AM)Westside Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 11:44 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 08:46 PM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 05:59 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: As someone who has had a passionate interest in science and space since I was a child and has taught science and math, these lyrics always struck a chord:

"Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
 In fact, it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them if you did
And all this science I don't understand
It's just my job five days a week"

Rocket Man by Elton John

Nice, granny. You're good at this.  I've seen Elton in concert many times(first time was in '79).  He always gives the fans a great show.

Here's one that I bet granny likes.  It's always been a favorite of mine.  I fell in love with it the first time I heard it. Can you name it?  One bonus point for being able to name the songwriter of  this classic:  

"Showed your photograph
To some old gray-bearded men
Sitting on a bench outside a gen'ral store
They said "yes, she's been here"
But their memory wasn't clear
Was it yesterday?
No, wait, the day before?"

I really like this song. I knew the lyrics, but I could not place them.  I ended up having to Google them, so I'm out.

Thanks, Westside.  It's one of my favorites by this recording artist.  You might say it reminds me of where I was born and raised.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Westside
That's Kentucky Rain.

You're gonna hate me but Elvis was never a favorite artist of mine.

I enjoy all genres and most artists, but I do have my favs. Motown, Country, Oldies, Classical, etc. Most of Elvis' music always seemed a little gimmicky to me.
I'll have to admit, those were the first lyrics where I didn't know the song immediately.  Good one OSH. And Granny!! But I mostly agree with you, I thought Elvis was strongest when he just sang, like a slow ballad, or gospel, I thought he was a really good gospel singer.
  Wish Jet Pilot would come out and play, he would love this thread, but he must be on an extended leave from the site.  Come on, JP, you're a music man, sign back in!
And Granny, since you and I both love country also, here's one from you from possibly my favorite female country singer ever. "Who knows where love starts, I woke up with you in my heart." Any idea?
(12-29-2020, 07:07 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: That's Kentucky Rain.

You're gonna hate me but Elvis was never a favorite artist of mine.

I enjoy all genres and most artists, but I do have my favs.  Motown, Country, Oldies, Classical, etc.  Most of Elvis' music always seemed a little gimmicky to me.

I was never a huge Elvis fan either, but did like "Kentucky Rain." Now my mom and dad... that's a different story. They were both huge Elvis fans. Do you know who wrote "Kentucky Rain" ?

The person who wrote "Kentucky Rain" was someone Elvis liked a lot.  The writer had a thing for rain, apparently.  In fact, he loved a rainy night.

I will forever link this song with the summer. It peaked on the charts in July of the bicentennial year. I can remember playing basketball outside my grandparents house all that summer.

"You know that chick that used to dance a lot
Every night she'd be on the floor, shakin' what she's got
Man when I tell you she was cool, she was red hot
I mean, she was steamin'

And that time over at Johnny's place
Well, this chick got up and she slapped Johnny's face
Man, we just fell about the place
If that chick don't wanna know, forget her..."
The Boys are Back by Thin Lizzy. And, although I don’t know for sure, I’m going to guess by your clue that Eddie Rabbit wrote Kentucky Rain.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Granny Bear
(12-29-2020, 08:18 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: I'll have to admit, those were the first lyrics where I didn't know the song immediately.  Good one OSH. And Granny!! But I mostly agree with you, I thought Elvis was strongest when he just sang, like a slow ballad, or gospel, I thought he was a really good gospel singer.
             Wish Jet Pilot would come out and play, he would love this thread, but he must be on an extended leave from the site.  Come on, JP, you're a music man, sign back in!
                And Granny, since you and I both love country also, here's one from you from possibly my favorite female country singer ever. "Who knows where love starts, I woke up with you in my heart." Any idea?

I'm not certain.....Patty Lovelace?
Since you're talking country music, I don't know how many times my grandchildren and I drove up I-75 singing this song to the top of our lungs. It has a swinging beat that the kids loved!! LOL What a classic.

I drive a '57 Chevrolet
With busted tail lights
Burned out valves and a leaky radiator
I wear a twenty dollar suit
I bought from J.C. Penney's
Back in 1962

My very first concert was when I was in college in the late sixties. Back before it became College of the Cumberlands, it was known as Cumberland College and it forbade the playing of football. I saw Kenny Rogers and the First Edition. Are you old enough to remember that?? LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • Van Hagar
(12-29-2020, 11:10 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: The Boys are Back by Thin Lizzy. And, although I don’t know for sure, I’m going to guess by your clue that Eddie Rabbit wrote Kentucky Rain.

You are correct , sir, on both. Nice job.

(12-29-2020, 02:05 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 11:10 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: The Boys are Back by Thin Lizzy. And, although I don’t know for sure, I’m going to guess by your clue that Eddie Rabbit wrote Kentucky Rain.

VH,  would you give one little clue on the writer of "Wagon Wheel" ?  Not a give away clue but just a small one.   I'm going to take another  guess, again a total guess, and say Neil Young.   I'm thinking from the lyrics maybe it is someone who isn't from this area of the country and , since Neil is a prolific songwriter , I will go with him as my guess.
(12-29-2020, 01:55 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Since you're talking country music, I don't know how many times my grandchildren and I drove up I-75 singing this song to the top of our lungs. It has a swinging beat that the kids loved!! LOL What a classic

I drive a '57 Chevrolet
With busted tail lights
Back in 1962

My very first concert was when I was in college in the late sixties. Back before it became College of the Cumberlands, it was known as Cumberland College and it forbade the playing of football. I saw Kenny Rogers and the First Edition. Are you old enough to remember that?? LOL

Several things. One, the country lyrics I quoted were indeed from the great (and Kentucky’s own) Patty Loveless, that song was Timber, I’m Falling in Love. Two, I was almost a Cumberland College Indian (wound up at UK, would have been happier at Cumberland). And three, I’m a music geek, and I don’t have the first clue what song those lyrics are from, which is really bugging v me!!!

(12-29-2020, 02:05 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

VH,  would you give one little clue on the writer of "Wagon Wheel" ?  Not a give away clue but just a small one.   I'm going to take another  guess, again a total guess, and say Neil Young.   I'm thinking from the lyrics maybe it is someone who isn't from this area of the country and , since Neil is a prolific songwriter , I will go with him as my guess.

Not Mr. Young, although another great guess. This may be too much of a clue, but here goes. This year, this artist became the only act in history to have at least one top-40 album in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s and 20s. So I guess that rules out Justin Bieber.????
For my next one, I am going to go with a song I believe was a one-hit wonder that reached the top 15 of the charts back in the late 70's.    If you were a high school kid back in the 70's like I was , this song was the bomb for getting in the car and just cruising the shopping center or other favorite cruising spots in town.  Actually, I think the song is not so much about the joys of cruising around as it is about the fragmented, conflicting emotions that occur at the end of a relationship.  All of us who were kids in the 70's encountered that as well, didn't we?  Anyway, I LOVE this song. See if you can name it.  Bonus pt. for naming the group who made it their one-hit wonder:

"Jenny was sweet
She always smiled for the people she'd meet
On trouble and strife
She had another way of looking at life

The news is blue 
Has its own way to get to you 
What can I do
I'll not remember my time with you

Pick up your feet
You've got to move to the trick of the beat
There is no elite
Just take your place in the ____  ____  "

Granny and VH :  I am also a Cumberland College graduate, back when we were the Indians.  Small world...

(12-29-2020, 02:25 PM)Van Hagar Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 01:55 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Since you're talking country music, I don't know how many times my grandchildren and I drove up I-75 singing this song to the top of our lungs.  It has a swinging beat that the kids loved!!  LOL  What a classic

I drive a '57 Chevrolet
With busted tail lights
Back in 1962

My very first concert was when I was in college in the late sixties.  Back before it became College of the Cumberlands, it was known as Cumberland College and it forbade the playing of football.  I saw Kenny Rogers and the First Edition.  Are you old enough to remember that??  LOL

Several things. One, the country lyrics I quoted were indeed from the great (and Kentucky’s own) Patty Loveless, that song was Timber, I’m Falling in Love. Two, I was almost a Cumberland College Indian (wound up at UK, would have been happier at Cumberland).  And three, I’m a music geek, and I don’t have the first clue what song those lyrics are from, which is really bugging v me!!!

Not Mr. Young, although another great guess. This may be too much of a clue, but here goes. This year, this artist became the only act in history to have at least one top-40 album in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s and 20s. So I guess that rules out Justin Bieber.????
Paul McCartney???
Just take your place in the "Back Seat" comes to mind, but I don't believe that's correct. My guess (and it is a guess) is Driver's Seat.
Oh, and for my song, think George Jones & Tammy Wynette. :)

George is the last person I've seen in concert; down at The Arena.
(12-29-2020, 03:26 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Just take your place in the "Back Seat" comes to mind, but I don't believe that's correct.  My guess (and it is a guess) is Driver's Seat.

Is this not a great groove or what?    Good job, granny.

Not Sir Paul. This person is American.
(12-29-2020, 05:04 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Not Sir Paul. This person is American.

You're killing me... lol .   One of the most prolific songwriters ever... Bobby Dylan ??? I don't think he's had those top 40's of late, though. So, I'll keep guessing.
You can stop now. It is indeed Bob Dylan. He is actually co-writer on this song with a guy that was in Old Crow Medicine Show (they recorded the original version of the song). It certainly has that Dylanesque feel if you just look at lyrics and forget the arrangement. And I know, sorta hard to believe he’s hit the top 40 all those times, but he has even with a new album he put out this year.
This one's cake ... Have at it. Won't take long.

"Well Johnny died one night, died in his bed
A bottle of whiskey, sleeping tablets by his head
Johnny's life passed him by like a warm summer day
If you listen to the wind you can still hear him play

Don't you know? Don't you know?  "

Yet another slice of cake, double layer ... Eat it up.

"So I called up the Captain
'Please bring me my wine'
He said, 'We haven't had that spirit here since 1969'  "
(12-29-2020, 11:32 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: This one's cake ... Have at it. Won't take long.

1. Shooting Star Bad Company 
2. Hotel California Eagles
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarons's post:
  • Granny Bear
(12-29-2020, 11:50 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 11:32 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: This one's cake ... Have at it. Won't take long.

1. Shooting Star Bad Company 
2. Hotel California Eagles
Jarons with a big ole double helping of cake.     Good job, sir.
I was a precocious (nearly) 5 year-old  when  this song was released:

"One pill makes you larger, and one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you, don't do anything at all

Go ask Alice, when she's ten feet tall ...

When the men on the chessboard get up and tell you where to go
And you've just had some kind of mushroom, and your mind is moving low

Go ask Alice, I think she'll know"
I'm gonna give the answer on my rock lyrics from earlier, I think you may have to be a big fan of this artist to get it. My song was 'Minutes to Memories' by John Mellencamp, who I consider one of the greatest American songwriters. It's told as a story of a young man (John) riding a bus home, with an old man teaching him life lessons. It's sort of a rock version of 'The Gambler." Here is the chorus, it's from the perspective of the old man speaking to the younger man.

"Days turn to minutes, and minutes to memories,"
"Life sweeps away the dreams that we had planned,"
"You are young, yeah, you are the future,"
"Suck it up, tough it out, be the best you can."

Google it, it's a great song. It was on Mellencamp's Scarecrow album, which is one of the all-time best. That album also had 'Small Town', 'Rain on the Scarecrow.' 'R.O.C.K. in the USA,", 'Rumble Seat," 'Justice and Independence,", probably Mellencamp's greatest album.
Oh I love Jefferson Airplane!!!
:)

White Rabbit
(12-30-2020, 11:24 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: Oh I love Jefferson Airplane!!!
Smile

White Rabbit

Me too.  I was too young to see J. Airplane live but i have seen Starship three times.  Martin Balin was my favorite from the group.

I think this will be easy!!

I've seen a lot of places, I've been around the world
I've seen some pretty faces, been with some beautiful girls
After all I've witnessed, one thing still amazes me
Just like a miracle, you have to see to believe
(12-30-2020, 04:40 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: I think this will be easy!!

I've seen a lot of places, I've been around the world
I've seen some pretty faces, been with some beautiful girls
After all I've witnessed, one thing still amazes me
Just like a miracle, you have to see to believe

Granny, is this one classic rock or another genre?
C & W

I used to line dance to this one at Cotton Eye Joes in Knoxville! LOL
"He's the hairy-handed gent
Who ran amok in Kent
Lately he's been overheard in Mayfair
You better stay away from him
He'll rip your lungs out, Jim
Hunh, I'd like to meet his tailor"
That of course is Werewolves of London from the criminally underrated Warren Zevon. Here’s one of my favorites, probably pretty easy, but oh well.

“Well daddy ran the whiskey in a big block Dodge,”
“Bought it at an auction at the Mason’s lodge,”
“Johnson County Sheriff painted on the side,”
“He just shot a coat of primer then we looked inside,”
“Him and my uncle tore that engine down,”
“I still remember that rumbling sound,”
Copperhead Road. We actually have one of those in Harlan County!! :)

So my song wasn't guessed, so it God Blessed Texas.