Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Jackson County 69. Clay County 58
(02-25-2022, 12:22 AM)Spoozer12 Wrote: Don't worry fans, everything will be set straight/explained in next weeks Manchester Enterprise, how John Wooden & Adolph Rupp would have been lucky to have won 6 games with the athletes Clay had. 

If I were a player or parent I'd be offended by the accusations in those statements, point blank placing blame on the kids. 

OBI just hired a new coach, coaching in his very first season, add to that OBI didn't even have a team to play a game last year, and only met when school started and won 16 games.  Wrap your head around that little fact.
This is crazy. The OBI coach is originally from Clay, coached at North under Sizemore, left North to come to Clay to be an assistant with Gray, resigned as a coach at Clay, took the head job at OBI, OBI can't hire him as a teacher so he stays at Clay to teach, Clay moves him to the middle school where he is now. That about it? What a story !!
(02-24-2022, 04:08 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 10:47 AM)cchsfan4life Wrote: Gray could be the worst coach in the state of Kentucky.  People can defend him all they want and make excuses all they want but the results won't lie.  Yes he took a middle school state tournament championship team and beat a couple of good teams no one can argue with that.  During his 5 year stint Gray has failed to make the Regional tournament 3 times.  He does have 1 district title, but remember he did this with a middle school championship team.  He has lost the last 2 district tournaments on his home floor.  He has never even coached his team to a regional final.  He has lost to Jackson County more in this 5 year stint than all Clay's other coaches combined.  Last nights game showed once again he can't coach.  He switched defenses for whatever reason going into the 4th and Jackson got to the rim every time.  If Harris didn't protect the rim and block it then they shot a lay up......however if you look at Gray's track record any coach would have known what he was going to do.  He has a history of doing the same stuff over and over and never making any type of adjustments when things start going bad.  Everyone in Clay County knows what the real problem in and only outsiders or people in his political bubble protects him.  Lose the pride Gray, step down and let someone else have their shot.  I just hope that the powers will do the right thing and put in a coach and not a puppet......but they don't have a good track record at that either.

(02-23-2022, 10:19 AM)jamesclay Wrote: Hopefully Robert Marcum had a nice relaxing drink last night.
If that is the case then Marcum has had a lot of relaxing drinking nights in the past 5 years.  I know Marcum and have talked to him a few times since he stepped down and he still cares for the program.  I've even heard he sits down with Hibbard (JV coach) and helps him out and gives him advice......and well I think the JV won a heck of a lot more games than the varsity this year and even had to move up 2-3 of his JV players half way during the year.  He would never come back to coach with this administration in office, but he does care about the kids.

And you could have the least knowledgeable basketball mind in the state of Kentucky if you think that. In fact, someone need to nominate you for that dubious award.  Wasn't it just three seasons or so ago that Gray had his Tigers off to a 16-0 start? That season included  wins over a 30-win Knox Central team, Lexington Catholic,  a good Boyle County team and a really good Huntington(WV) Prep team,  Pulaski County, a terrific Mercer County team with a Mr. Basketball  candidate , North Laurel , and two wins over a 20-win Harlan team. They also beat Corbin to win the CFIT.  The only reason this team didn't win the region is because the Tigers lost a close game at North Laurel in the opening round of the district to a 23-win Jaguar team. If they had beaten the Jags, they win the region that year, in my opinion.

Now, let's turn to the following season.  They beat a damn good North Laurel team THREE times, including the championship of the 49th district.  They beat a crazy good Knoxville Catholic team(same team that had beaten Corbin by 30) that had three D-I starters. Coach Gray accomplished something I had never seen before. He shut out Knoxville Catholic in the 4th quarter to come from behind and pull off the big upset. The Tigers soundly beat Scott County and a 25-win Knox Central team at Knox. They also beat an outstanding 28-win South Laurel team and had a very close two-point loss to Trinity at Louisville. If that wasn't enough , Coach Gray and his Tigers took #1 ranked John Hardin to the wire before finally falling in the championship of the CFIT. The only reason they didn't win the region that season was because of a close loss to a Harlan County team that caught fire late in the season and was playing extremely well.

I'm sorry, but these games are not from the resume of the "worst coach in the state of Kentucky." That is as ignorant a statement as I've ever read on a sports message board. Glenn Gray can coach the game of basketball. Reread the two paragraphs above if you are still not convinced. And let me say this. When Gray was recording all of these impressive wins, he was not blessed with great talent. He had some nice talent, some good players, maybe even a couple of really good players,  but no where near the talent that Hicks had at Scott County or Keith had back in the day with guys like Richie Farmer, Russ Farmer, Russ Chadwell, Shannon Hoskins, etc...

Please just stop the insanity about Glenn Gray not being able to coach. You can bring up other things like politics or socioeconomic factors as to why Clay has fallen on hard times but your argument is just plain weak if you say it's because Glenn Gray is a bad coach. That's just not the case, as I have outlined.  Pissed off Manchesterites  need to come up with something better than that.
I think I have more knowledge than you sir.  I'd like to know just how many games you have saw Gray coach in the past 6 years.  He has not produced anything positive in his 6 years.  He neglected younger players and ran off some fine players to other schools.  Clay's biggest problem is they compare everything to Coach Keith and the teams of the 80's.  Clay has had the talent in Grays  6 years to show results in the post season.  You just named some good wins he has had and he has nothing to show for it those years.  Just remember all those wins you mentioned....Gray also couldn't get that same team out of district.  I have nothing personal against him...I don't even have a dog in the fight except I'm a big Clay supporter and fan.....Unlike you sir I have watched Clay play many many games not just when they come over to play your hounds and Clay sitting at home 3 out of the past 5 years without a chance to even play at the arena is pathetic and a disgrace to the kids.

(02-25-2022, 12:54 AM)BUFFALO Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 12:22 AM)Spoozer12 Wrote: Don't worry fans, everything will be set straight/explained in next weeks Manchester Enterprise, how John Wooden & Adolph Rupp would have been lucky to have won 6 games with the athletes Clay had. 

If I were a player or parent I'd be offended by the accusations in those statements, point blank placing blame on the kids. 

OBI just hired a new coach, coaching in his very first season, add to that OBI didn't even have a team to play a game last year, and only met when school started and won 16 games.  Wrap your head around that little fact.
This is crazy. The OBI coach is originally from Clay, coached at North under Sizemore, left North to come to Clay to be an assistant with Gray, resigned as a coach at Clay, took the head job at OBI, OBI can't hire him as a teacher so he stays at Clay to teach, Clay moves him to the middle school where he is now. That about it? What a story !!
Politics and people flexing their muscle power at its best.

(02-24-2022, 10:49 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 07:34 PM)Hound05 Wrote: Ego’s and bad decisions that come with them will set a program back decades

Signed,

Corbin football

Corbin may not have as poor of a win-loss percentage in football as Clay in basketball but their leadership, or lack there of, is likely going to have greater negative long-term ramifications than will ever be seen in Manchester. The Tigers will be back and competing for regions again eventually but, in Corbin, they won't be able to count on one hand the number of state titles they forfeited by running off one of the state's best coaches in favor of a Hilton flunkie who will probably never sniff a title. The situation at Corbin is a hot, damned, mess of epic proportions as a result of coaches(and administrators) who put their own agendas ahead of what's best for the program and the kids who sacrifice their precious HS years and bodies to play for the Redhounds.  What a travesty!!!
And Clay county won't be able to count on one hand the number of opportunities they would have had to compete for a State Tournament by running of Marcum and hiring in a flunkie like Gray who will almost be guaranteed to never sniff a regional title.
#championshipsarewoninmarch
#nothingelsematters
#stopbuyingtheenterprise
#stopbuyingthephotopackagesfromjunior
#picketthefrontlawnofboe
#idiotsrus
#dontsupporttheenemiesoftheprogram
Maybe Tony P. needs phone Glenn and ask him how to beat South Laurel.   Coach Gray absolutely coached circles around Jeff Davis in last year's region victory. Totally had the South Laurel offense discombobulated all night. Tremendous game plan that South never adjusted to. Incredible coaching.
(02-25-2022, 03:47 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Maybe Tony P. needs phone Glenn and ask him how to beat South Laurel.   Coach Gray absolutely coached circles around Jeff Davis in last year's region victory. Totally had the South Laurel offense discombobulated all night. Tremendous game plan that South never adjusted to. Incredible coach
LOL.....why don't you pull some strings and get him over to Corbin then if he is such a good coach.  If you at both rosters last year....Clay is a double digit favorite over South.  That shows you what a nice coach Glenn is.  I don't understand how it was such a great win when Clay was a favorite going in anyway.
(02-25-2022, 05:11 PM)cchsfan4life Wrote:
(02-25-2022, 03:47 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Maybe Tony P. needs phone Glenn and ask him how to beat South Laurel.   Coach Gray absolutely coached circles around Jeff Davis in last year's region victory. Totally had the South Laurel offense discombobulated all night. Tremendous game plan that South never adjusted to. Incredible coach
LOL.....why don't you pull some strings and get him over to Corbin then if he is such a good coach.  If you at both rosters last year....Clay is a double digit favorite over South.  That shows you what a nice coach Glenn is.  I don't understand how it was such a great win when Clay was a favorite going in anyway.

Clay was absolutely not the favorite.
(02-25-2022, 05:11 PM)cchsfan4life Wrote:

Corbin fans know talent when they see it. They're usually watching the best of it, whether it's players or coaches, walk out the door to another school that presents a better opportunity for a State Championship.
(02-25-2022, 03:47 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Maybe Tony P. needs phone Glenn and ask him how to beat South Laurel.   Coach Gray absolutely coached circles around Jeff Davis in last year's region victory. Totally had the South Laurel offense discombobulated all night. Tremendous game plan that South never adjusted to. Incredible coaching.
What’s crazy is that tremendous gameplay wasn’t from Glenn. It was from Hibbard(obi current coach). It was the defense north ran against south when they beat them in the 2019 region tournament when hibbard was the assistant coach. When hibbard got hired at cc he put in that defense and that’s what they ran against south in the region and against north in the district championship in 2021. So that was really hibbard who “absolutely coached circles around Jeff Davis.” Glenn had nothing to do with it but took all the credit. Don’t believe me? Hibbard took a program that didn’t even have a team last year and won 16 games, Glenn won 6 this year. I think based on that alone it’s pretty easy to tell who was doing the coaching and game planning.
[-] The following 1 user Likes basketballbilly17's post:
  • NorthsidetilIdie
Clay failed when they put all their eggs in the basket of the group that just graduated. If you want a good program you need to invest in every grade level. Gray has ultimately failed to do that and its not going to get better, because a lot of Clays good younger elementary / middle school players have already transferred to other schools (numerous kids at North Laurel). If you want a program, you build it from the ground up, you dont wait until they get to high school. Letting Marcum get away was a bad decision then and will haunt Clay for a decade or more. You reap what you sew, I dont know anyone that played hometown politics and won in the end.
(02-26-2022, 07:15 PM)Prime.Time Wrote: Clay failed when they put all their eggs in the basket of the group that just graduated.  If you want a good program you need to invest in every grade level.  Gray has ultimately failed to do that and its not going to get better, because a lot of Clays good younger elementary / middle school players have already transferred to other schools (numerous kids at North Laurel).  If you want a program, you build it from the ground up, you dont wait until they get to high school.  Letting Marcum get away was a bad decision then and will haunt Clay for a decade or more.  You reap what you sew, I dont know anyone that played hometown politics and won in the end.
Well said prime time.  The truth will set you free!
Didn’t Gray have the job once before and quit? What year was that? Also, didn’t Burchell coach the boys once? If so, what year(s)? Will Burchell retire soon? It doesn’t appear this Clay boys team will do much as juniors or seniors either so is there a plan to right the ship or just be happy to be over .500 every 2 out of 3 years? How many more kids will transfer(both girls and boys)?
(02-27-2022, 12:12 PM)nedreader Wrote: Didn’t Gray have the job once before and quit?  What year was that?  Also, didn’t Burchell coach the boys once?  If so, what year(s)?  Will Burchell retire soon?  It doesn’t appear this Clay boys team will do much as juniors or seniors either so is there a plan to right the ship or just be happy to be over .500 every 2 out of 3 years?  How many more kids will transfer(both girls and boys)?

If the talent pool is on par with what we saw on the court this season at Clay, all they will be transferring to will be a bench somewhere. Amazing job by Glenn to win six games this season. When he has had better players he wins 16 in a row to start a season and beats the likes Lex Cath, Scott County, and North Laurel three times in a season.

#goodplayerswingamebadplayerslosegames
So these are bad players? I thought they were just young players. Thanks for the assessment of Clay’s talent OldSchoolHound.
#sportswriterssticktogether
#LDknowsbest
(02-27-2022, 12:30 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-27-2022, 12:12 PM)nedreader Wrote: Didn’t Gray have the job once before and quit?  What year was that?  Also, didn’t Burchell coach the boys once?  If so, what year(s)?  Will Burchell retire soon?  It doesn’t appear this Clay boys team will do much as juniors or seniors either so is there a plan to right the ship or just be happy to be over .500 every 2 out of 3 years?  How many more kids will transfer(both girls and boys)?

If the talent pool is on par with what we saw on the court this season at Clay, all they will be transferring to will be a bench somewhere. Amazing job by Glenn to win six games this season. When he has had better players he wins 16 in a row to start a season and beats the likes Lex Cath, Scott County, and North Laurel three times in a season.

#goodplayerswingamebadplayerslosegames

Isnt it the coaches responsibility to make sure that players are being developed in the pipeline? Who's fault is it that the cupboard is now bare?
Clay County 6 wins

Redbird 2-24 record
Logan County 1-27 record
Leslie County 3-24 record beat Leslie county twice this year.
Whitley County 13-16 record
OBI 16-14 record
*********** canceled second game with OBI ???????????????????
[-] The following 2 users Like 64SUR's post:
  • Bull got out!, nedreader
(02-27-2022, 09:07 PM)64SUR Wrote: Clay County 6 wins

Redbird 2-24 record
Logan County 1-27 record
Leslie County 3-24 record beat Leslie county twice this year.
Whitley County 13-16 record
OBI 16-14 record
*********** canceled second game with OBI ???????????????????

Clay shouldn't have canceled the game with Cov. Catholic. That could have been a 7th win. Maybe it was Cov, Cath. that was afraid to come into the Tiger Den. lol
One thing for certain, it's regional tournament time and everyone has stopped talking about the mess in Clay Co..
(03-03-2022, 01:48 PM)BUFFALO Wrote: One thing for certain, it's regional tournament time and everyone has stopped talking about the mess in Clay Co..

What mess!?!?  They have a good coach , legendary program, and passionate fanbase. What could be wrong???
Glenn Gray hasn’t been past the 2nd round of region, I don’t think he’s terrible but he’s not some great coach. Bringing up regular season wins is overall meaningless when the goal is to do well in region, something he hasn’t done.
(03-03-2022, 05:16 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 01:48 PM)BUFFALO Wrote: One thing for certain, it's regional tournament time and everyone has stopped talking about the mess in Clay Co..

What mess!?!?  They have a good coach , legendary program, and passionate fanbase. What could be wrong???
The fan base may be passionate, if they are, they're passionate at home. No one comes to the games.
Realize there are people posting accolades about the Clay staff that are only doing so to rile the Clay fans up, and they're really good at it.

Urban Dictionary defines:
Internet troll -/ˈin(t)ərˌnet/ /trōl/ A Person who want to provoke and upset others online for their own amusement.
WHODEY...WHODEY GONNA GET TO REPLACE GLENN GRAY.
(03-06-2022, 02:49 PM)nedreader Wrote: WHODEY...WHODEY GONNA GET TO REPLACE GLENN GRAY.
I think he will stay.
(03-04-2022, 10:03 AM)Spoozer12 Wrote: Realize there are people posting accolades about the Clay staff that are only doing so to rile the Clay fans up, and they're really good at it.

Internet troll -/ˈin(t)ərˌnet/  /trōl/  A Person who want to provoke and upset others online for their own amusement.

That may be true for some posters but certainly not for me . My goal has been to simply refute the absurd notion that Gray is a bad basketball coach and I think I've made the case quite well. Yes, Clay had a tough season but that was expected. There wasn't much talent on the floor this year. But they did improve as the season went on and they always played hard.  Clay will be back eventually. You have to have good basketball players to win a lot of games and Clay just didn't this season. If Gray remains on as coach and the talent picks up, Clay will be back competing for titles. Glenn is a good coach.
(03-04-2022, 10:03 AM)Spoozer12 Wrote: Realize there are people posting accolades about the Clay staff that are only doing so to rile the Clay fans up, and they're really good at it.

Internet troll -/ˈin(t)ərˌnet/  /trōl/  A Person who want to provoke and upset others online for their own amusement.

And some posters have no clue what a good coach looks like.
(03-06-2022, 04:32 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

That may be true for some posters but certainly not for me . My goal has been to simply refute the absurd notion that Gray is a bad basketball coach and I think I've made the case quite well. Yes, Clay had a tough season but that was expected. There wasn't much talent on the floor this year. But they did improve as the season went on and they always played hard.  Clay will be back eventually. You have to have good basketball players to win a lot of games and Clay just didn't this season. If Gray remains on as coach and the talent picks up, Clay will be back competing for titles. Glenn is a good coach.
If your case went before a jury.....I'm afraid you wouldn't have a case and would easily lose.  Clay will never be back into contention as long as he is leading the bench.....I get so sick of people saying talent....talent...talent.......he has had more than enough talent with nothing to show for it but a few wins in the regular season.  Yes he started 16-0 or whatever but sucked it up when it counted....and you can't blame the kids because if you really watch any of Grays game he makes ZERO adjustments.
(03-08-2022, 05:18 PM)cchsfan4life Wrote:

If your case went before a jury.....I'm afraid you wouldn't have a case and would easily lose.  Clay will never be back into contention as long as he is leading the bench.....I get so sick of people saying talent....talent...talent.......he has had more than enough talent with nothing to show for it but a few wins in the regular season.  Yes he started 16-0 or whatever but sucked it up when it counted....and you can't blame the kids because if you really watch any of Grays game he makes ZERO adjustments.

Depends on jury selection. If the jury is selected from the handful of disgruntled Clay County posters on this board who long for the glory days when they still had a full head of hair and Bob Keith prowled the sidelines in Manchester, then, yes, I would lose my case. If the jury was selected from Glenn's peers in the coaching profession, then the case would be decided overwhelmingly in my favor.
The program is all but done. People making decisions who are keeping Gray around while anyone with a brain is taking their kid elsewhere. Yet the ones complaining about kids going to different counties are too blind to see they’re big contributors to the problem by allowing Gray to hang around. Just face it, he can’t do the job effectively. Try and pick up the pieces now because it’s just going to get worse. Glenn, the Board of Education, Superintendent and everyone else involved needs to do the right thing and get a new coach. Glenn has had his turn…it’s time for everyone to admit the failures and move on for the sake of the youth in the county. All the info is already out there from eyewitnesses about how horrible the practices are, how unprepared the team is and it’s obvious Glenn can’t make in game adjustments or get the kids to execute them. If they don’t listen to him then they don’t respect him. If he can’t garner respect, then he’s not an effective coach. It’s not personal at this point, it’s just all business.
(03-08-2022, 10:03 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Depends on jury selection. If the jury is selected from the handful of disgruntled Clay County posters on this board who long for the glory days when they still had a full head of hair and Bob Keith prowled the sidelines in Manchester, then, yes, I would lose my case. If the jury was selected from Glenn's peers in the coaching profession, then the case would be decided overwhelmingly in my favor.
LOL.......no actually anyone with any common sense and basketball knowledge would not side in your favor.  Why do you keep taking things back to the Bobby Keith era.....Coach Gray was handed a team with tons and tons of talent when Marcum was forced out....I mean stepped down.......and didn't do anything with that.  Clay County was a threat every year until he got the keys to the gym.  I don't know who you are but you have to be a Corbin media person with ties to Glenn......or just someone who just like flapping that jaw.
(03-11-2022, 11:09 AM)cchsfan4life Wrote:
(03-08-2022, 10:03 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

LOL.......no actually anyone with any common sense and basketball knowledge would not side in your favor.  Why do you keep taking things back to the Bobby Keith era.....Coach Gray was handed a team with tons and tons of talent when Marcum was forced out....I mean stepped down.......and didn't do anything with that.  Clay County was a threat every year until he got the keys to the gym.  I don't know who you are but you have to be a Corbin media person with ties to Glenn......or just someone who just like flapping that jaw.

I'm just an Old School Hound who has watched 13th region basketball for fifty years, from the early days of the Bully Keith era up til the present. Never said Glenn was the best coach in the history of the universe, just that he's certainly NOT a bad coach. No one was complaining when he was 16-0 a few years ago. No one was complaining when his Tigers shut out Knoxville Catholic in the fourth quarter and got the win over a team with three DI players. No one was complaining when Glenn's team pulled off the upset over a really good North Laurel team to win the district. We have a handful of Manchesterians on here who have sore rectums over something Glenn said or did that they didn't like. Maybe he sat your little Johnny on the bench where he belonged or maybe you walked in while he was nailing your beloved woman after hours  at his newspaper office. Whatever the reason, the acrimonious stench of his 'enemies' complaints reeks of something very personal. My views are clearly more objective than those of his butt hurt detractors on here. 

On a side note , I've always respected the way Glenn conducts himself on the sidelines during a game. He's a good representative for CCHS. Competitive but under control. Good sportsmanship, not ranting and raving up and down the court trying to intimidate players, coaches, and referees like the legend did. I hear the leadership wants the focus to be on  a new direction in Clay County. I hear that CC administrators want their athletes to do just as well or better in the classroom than on athletic fields of play. Maybe they want more well-rounded young men who are prepared for the business world and are arms with more than just basketball wins. I hear that Clay Co. administrators want to arm these young men and women with the tools to be successful in life and not ending up behind the iron gates of a federal prison. The current leadership seems to be willing to sacrifice some wins in favor of the greater good. It's an admirable goal. 

Bottomline, though, is that the talent pool has dried up in Clay County.  Coach K and Mark Few could have been leading the Tigers this past season and they wouldn't have won much more than six games.  When Gray had some better players, he beat virtually every coach in the region multiple times. Cast your personal hatred of Glenn aside and try to see things in a more objective and "big picture" capacity.