Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay County Girl's Basketball Coach Ivy Burchell Retires
Burchell is a very good coach and still knows the game better than maybe any coach in the region. Unfortunately, times change and coaches sometimes struggle with that.

I do not think a school system will be hiring a male coach who was fired with “allegations” and take that type of liability. The first time someone didn’t get playing time a parent would bring the newspaper articles back out.
That probably explains why they have been reaching out to people who did not apply trying to recruit a coach in. I have been told of at least 2 people that have been contacted and said “not interested”. My opinion would be to hire someone young that will build some excitement in Clay again. In all of my life I never thought I would see the day that Clay County basketball girls and boys would be in such bad shape. The biggest surprise though is that I’m actually sad about it.
Dude allegations are allegations. Not nothing been proved. If a dang person is guilty then it’s a different story. You Clay countians won’t find a better guy for the job, trust me.

And what are these allegations? I’d like to know. Spill it ole red.
I’m not from Clay so it’s not my program to worry about. However, you don’t fire the local former basketball star without something to the claims. The articles are out there to read if you want. People wouldn’t want to hire a teacher with those allegations so I wouldn’t want to hire a coach either. These are young kids.

Even with that pushed to the side. South Laurel hired a multiple state champion coach, North Laurel hired a former college coach, Jackson County hired a former local star who was an assistant college coach, Corbin hired a former boys coach who was a local kid, whitley hires a head coach who won a region and had been on Souder’s staff during state championships, but your telling me a Coach with one bad year as a high school coach that ended in being fired and a few years as a low level travel coach makes him the best guy for the program with the most success in the 13th Region? We will have to disagree on this one.

This stuff is just crazy enough that it might happen though.
(03-22-2022, 10:07 AM)Olred Wrote: I’m not from Clay so it’s not my program to worry about. However, you don’t fire the local former basketball star without something to the claims. The articles are out there to read if you want. People wouldn’t want to hire a teacher with those allegations so I wouldn’t want to hire a coach either. These are young kids.

Even with that pushed to the side. South Laurel hired a multiple state champion coach, North Laurel hired a former college coach, Jackson County hired a former local star who was an assistant college coach, Corbin hired a former boys coach who was a local kid, whitley hires a head coach who won a region and had been on Souder’s staff during state championships, but your telling me a Coach with one bad year as a high school coach that ended in being fired and a few years as a low level travel coach makes him the best guy for the program with the most success in the 13th Region? We will have to disagree on this one.

This stuff is just crazy enough that it might happen though.
So all these girls programs are hiring state champion coaches, former college assistants, etc. and you expect Clay to do that for their girls program when they have a boys coach that never even played basketball in college much less was a college asst. or won multiple state championships?
I think that says something about who’s doing the hiring in Clay… or at least the political people pulling the strings. You can’t keep great programs and not make good hires!
(03-22-2022, 04:01 PM)Olred Wrote: I think that says something about who’s doing the hiring in Clay… or at least the political people pulling the strings.  You can’t keep great programs and not make good hires!
Spoken like a true bitter Clay Countian. According to the articles written up about madden when he was inducted into 13th region hall of fame, he resigned after one year as girls head coach at jc and then went back on the boys bench as assistant. I'm assuming if he was "fired" he wouldn't have been on any bench the following year but what do i know.
Bobby Keith coach in College before coming to Clay?
(03-22-2022, 09:38 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Bobby Keith coach in College before coming to Clay?

No, he played in college I’m pretty sure though. The current coach didn’t even play college basketball.
Playing or coaching in college wouldn’t be necessary, but elementary coach and podunk travel does not make a resume worth a high school head job at a decent or above program. I’m sure they have some upward and optimist coaches available if he falls through. If you don’t have better candidates than that then that should probably be the first question answered and if anyone in leadership would be pushing to hire those type of candidates that might actually be the real problem!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Olred's post:
  • nedreader
Donnie Gray didn't play BB, won a state championship and is in the hall of fame. The new head coach of the Miami Dolphins has never played a down of football on any level. Playing a sport doesn't necessarily qualify a person to become a coach. I know of several men who became successful football coaches who didn't play.
Mike Mcdaniel wasn’t hired straight from Pop Warner either. No one is saying you had to be some great player to coach, but real coaching experience should be expected.
(03-23-2022, 12:11 AM)Olred Wrote: Mike Mcdaniel wasn’t hired straight from Pop Warner either.  No one is saying you had to be some great player to coach, but real coaching experience should be expected.
Right. Mcdaniel had been a successful assistant on the college and NFL level before landing a head coaching job. No one held it against him because he had never played. I was trying to show that some coaches are very good at what they do without playing experience.
I agree with that 100%
You guys realize what a dang high school girls basketball coach makes? What does Clay pay? 7 or 8 thousand dollars. Then you throw in the teaching salary or whatever. Ain’t a heck of a lot. Why would any College Coach worth a piss come and Coach high school basketball in Eastern KY? Some of you guys crack me up. There’s probably some high school kids right now that could do well coaching. It’s not that hard. Well it gets hard when you have to play POLITICS and play certain higher up kids in order to better yourself financially like a lot of high school coaches do in these parts. But I honestly don’t think the Madden guy would play that games. Hell he may not even want the Clay job. He really has better things going on up at The Lab in London. 10 or 15 teams. Dang po dunk. Some of you should go up there yourself and watch the guy in action. May learn a few things. I know he’d help Clays girls program leaps and bounds. Maybe Rick Pitino will come and apply for the prestigious job.
Filling the coaching vacancy in Clay won't be done until after the May election. Seriously.
any news or updates
Think they are gonna drop girls basketball and tell the ones that want to play to go to North or South.
(05-20-2022, 01:06 PM)hchs fan Wrote: any news or updates

Could there be another Gray as a head BB coach in Clay Co. ?
One of the best, sad she is leaving, who is next in line?
any news or updates on coaching annoucement
Think Saffie will take them over.
wondor when they name or annouce somebody
(05-23-2022, 09:27 AM)ballaboveall Wrote: One of the best, sad she is leaving, who is next in line?

So the Gray lady isn't going to be the coach ?
any annoucement or anything anytime soon on new coach
any annoucement or anything anytime soon
The only ones who seem to care are people from another county.
Wasn’t this supposed to be announced after the election
Congratulations to Coach Gemma Parks! Clay County has hired a good young coach.