Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
McCain picks VP candidate
ukbadmammajamma Wrote:So true! And Alaska only has about 650,000 people in it total. There are more deer, elk, caribou and critters to govern in Alaska than people! And the town she was the mayor of has about 6,500 people, about the size of Pikeville. She's no Rudy Guliani.

The only thing she has in common with Hillary is anatomical! They share NO views on anything politically. She is super-conservative and Hillary is liberal. I was a huge Hillary supporter and the thought of this amateur taking "the call at 3AM" if McCain dies in office is just plain SCARY!!!!!

She needs to go home to Alaska and hunt, fish & take care of her children, especially the new one!
The only important call she's received in while serving in a public office at 3am was when a moose was in the city dumpster!
One BIG positive that no one has mentioned about for McCain is that the selection of Palin makes HER the target of criticism from democrats right now, not McCain. If you have noticed, McCain is nearly untouchable when it comes to attacking him because of his POW status. Obama treads lightly around it, always mentioning McCain's "service to our country" before attacking him.

Essentially, Obama's campaign can't go negative between McCain's war record/foreign policy experience, Palin's inexperience (it flys in the face of Obama attacks on the same thing) and ticking off Regan democrats who voted for Hillary and are still on the fence.
DevilsWin Wrote:So you're banking the country's future on your notion that nothing will happen to old cancer ridden John McCain so we need not worry about Palin becoming President.

Just plain ridiculous!

I am sorry, but pointing me to another opinion-based forum is not a good basis for argument.... and, as you say, is just plain ridiculous....

To me, and I AM entitled to MY opinion, it is better than banking on someone who has shown ME nothing but talk.... I like McCain.... and will vote for him.... especially over the other option! And I can have an opinion....

Oh, and don't call me ridiculous.... I don't deserve that as I have not attacked you!

We should simply agree to disagree....
jammin' jamey Wrote:One BIG positive that no one has mentioned about for McCain is that the selection of Palin makes HER the target of criticism from democrats right now, not McCain. If you have noticed, McCain is nearly untouchable when it comes to attacking him because of his POW status. Obama treads lightly around it, always mentioning McCain's "service to our country" before attacking him.

Essentially, Obama's campaign can't go negative between McCain's war record/foreign policy experience, Palin's inexperience (it flys in the face of Obama attacks on the same thing) and ticking off Regan democrats who voted for Hillary and are still on the fence.

It also handcuffs Biden, especially as any direct attack toward her in a debate may be seen as machismo and drive women voters that direction.... They will have to tread lightly so as not to tick off women who would have otherwise voted for them!

It also neutralizes the history angle for Obama as someone mentioned earlier.
PHS95 Wrote:It also neutralizes the history angle for Obama as someone mentioned earlier.

That's another good point.

Does anyone else see that maybe the focus of this campaign will once again shift to fundamental values? Palin is a conservative mother of 5 who takes on the oil industry and she's also highly active in Fellowship of Christian athletes, which will be brought out this week as a footnote for the religious right.

The argument of Jeremiah Wright and Obama's lack of appeal to the Christian vote will become a centerpiece for attacks from the McCain camp with the addition of Palin and her squeaky clean "soccer mom" image.

Genius.
Someone told me they can't wait for the VP debate. He said Biden would eat Palin alive. I believe it'll be the other way around.

I was impressed with her when she spoke. She didn't have a teleprompter and wasn't looking at any note cards. The other 3 candidates have to use notes or the teleprompter.

Palin has a lot more savy than what people think.
Me being a DIEHARD REPUBLICAN..I hate this move! I was so sure Romney would be his VP and couldn't believe this decision. Although he will still get my vote..I say BAD MOVE McCAIN! I may write myself in this year, lol!
jetpilot Wrote:So the old-fashioned sexist hillbilly vote will beat her?:booo:SmileRolleyesConfusedhh:
Not even hillbilly- I know a ton of businessmen and that sort who wouldn't vote for a woman. A ton of people still see the world like that, but then again maybe jammin's right.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Here's the problem with that not vote for a woman mentality.... They should be voting for a president.... not his running mate...
by him getting a woman for his VP just won him the election.
jammin' jamey Wrote:That's another good point.

Does anyone else see that maybe the focus of this campaign will once again shift to fundamental values? Palin is a conservative mother of 5 who takes on the oil industry and she's also highly active in Fellowship of Christian athletes, which will be brought out this week as a footnote for the religious right.

The argument of Jeremiah Wright and Obama's lack of appeal to the Christian vote will become a centerpiece for attacks from the McCain camp with the addition of Palin and her squeaky clean "soccer mom" image.

Genius.

It's weird that Palin is more in line with Obama's taxing plan on big oil than McCains, but no one seems to mention it. She supported a windfall profits tax on big oil in Alaska, something that John McCain, and most conservatives dont want to do.

It's also interesting to note that her husband is a long time employee of BP. (But to be fair, a lot of people in Alaska work in the Oil industry). He did take a leave recently to prevent any conflict of interest while she was governor, but is now back on the payroll. IMO this could create a huge conflict of interest. He may or may not be in a position to sway any policies with BP, but the thought of another tie between big oil and the white house worries me.

Can she really take on Big oil when she agrees with most issues that side with Big Oil? She supports drilling in protected areas, denounces global warming, and supports taking polar bears off of the endangered species list, all of these issues fall in line with Bush policies.

Here is a quote from Palin:

"We believe that listing polar bears as is a significant threat to development, because most live on the North Slope."

Threat to development! Is this taking on big Oil? Taxing them to make a profit is not "fighting" big oil.
Palin's Husband was convicted of DUI 20 years ago!
DevilsWin Wrote:Palin's Husband was convicted of DUI 20 years ago!

Okay... :confused:

Relevance?
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Okay... :confused:

Relevance?
Just letting the voters know.Wink
Her husband works in the fields, its not like he is somewhere high on the corporate ladder.

I think it is a good pick, because when you start attacking Palin, it allows for comparison between her and Obama. Both have a small amount of experience. Both started very low in the political world. One was a mayor of a small town, the other was a community advisor or w/e it was. Neither have military experience, nor very much foreign relations experience.

When you can make people start comparing a 44yo gov. from Alaska who is the VP nominee to the Presidential nominee from the other party, things should go your way.The DNC better hope all those people they sent to Alaska to try and find dirt on Palin find something before this convention is over, or I look for about a 10pt lead fro Mccain by the weekend.
Beetle01 Wrote:Her husband works in the fields, its not like he is somewhere high on the corporate ladder.

I think it is a good pick, because when you start attacking Palin, it allows for comparison between her and Obama. Both have a small amount of experience. Both started very low in the political world. One was a mayor of a small town, the other was a community advisor or w/e it was. Neither have military experience, nor very much foreign relations experience.

When you can make people start comparing a 44yo gov. from Alaska who is the VP nominee to the Presidential nominee from the other party, things should go your way.The DNC better hope all those people they sent to Alaska to try and find dirt on Palin find something before this convention is over, or I look for about a 10pt lead fro Mccain by the weekend.

Good points. Nixon and Johnson...career politicians...tons of experience... both held on to a war in support of a government that did not have the popular support of its own people. Experience, while one factor, is overrated by middle-aged and older people because it flatters self in those age groups.
Did anyone notice that she didn't speak on any of the issues?

She is an empty suit with nice legs, a pretty smile and a smart mouth.

I feel sorry for her husband.
DevilsWin Wrote:Did anyone notice that she didn't speak on any of the issues?

Pretty much sums it up.

All she done was attack Obama, and spit out some BS talking points. She mentions any issues or give any details on how she plans to clean up this country.

I thought it was a pretty lame, typical political speech, just attack your opponent, and take the people mind off the fact that your party has been screwing this country up for 8 years.

Most on the right will probably point to her precise speech, and her emphasis on her "family values".
DevilsWin Wrote:Did anyone notice that she didn't speak on any of the issues?

The same can be said about Obama. Except the legs and pretty smile.
Beetle01 Wrote:The same can be said about Obama. Except the legs and pretty smile.

No it can't Beetle. Obama has been talking about the issues for nearly 2 years!Rolleyes
DevilsWin Wrote:No it can't Beetle. Obama has been talking about the issues for nearly 2 years!Rolleyes

No he's been talking about how bad Bush is for 2 years.
Since 2 years ago when he decided to run for President, he has changed his mind on just about every issue.
Beetle01 Wrote:No he's been talking about how bad Bush is for 2 years.
Since 2 years ago when he decided to run for President, he has changed his mind on just about every issue.

Not really, he has remained constant on almost all of his stances, although Billdo and Hannity would have you think differently.

And you need to wake up because everyone has been talking about how bad bush has been for the last 8 years, and unless the republicans can fess up and talk about this, they wont stand a chance in the election.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:Not really, he has remained constant on almost all of his stances, although Billdo and Hannity would have you think differently.

And you need to wake up because everyone has been talking about how bad bush has been for the last 8 years, and unless the republicans can fess up and talk about this, they wont stand a chance in the election.
McCain after praising Bush by name last night tore the party a new rear end.

The party that was lead by Bush!Smile
DevilsWin Wrote:Palin's Husband was convicted of DUI 20 years ago!
Billy G was also and he is our coach. I care more about him than the VP hubby.
RavenBoy Wrote:Billy G was also and he is our coach. I care more about him than the VP hubby.
Coaching is different than politics.
Its over Obama blew it. McCain already had a 10pt lead, I never say anything is a sure thing, but this is as close as its gonna get.
Beetle01 Wrote:Its over Obama blew it. McCain already had a 10pt lead, I never say anything is a sure thing, but this is as close as its gonna get.
:lmao: You wish.
DevilsWin Wrote::lmao: You wish.
Dukakis had a seventeen point lead right after convention. He did not win. Two months is an eternity in the 24 hour news cycle. Obama was behind by more than that to Hilary Clinton. It will be a close election...but it's not over by a long shot.
By the way, RealPolitic does a compilation poll of state and national survey polls (Political Dashboard). McCain leads by 3 points, but Obama leads in delegates. Again, not over by a LONG SHOT.
Bush Sr had a big lead against Clinton late in the game as well.