Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region Pairings
sballgal3 Wrote:Jenkins went to tournaments on the weekends at Somerset and Ashland and played some really good teams. More times than not, they came back with some losses, but the team got to see what teams in other parts of the state look like. For people close to the state borders, Virginia, West Virginia, and Tennessee have tough programs. You gotta get out of the 14th in order to be successful. Jenkins and Estill are the two furthest teams in the region, it takes almost 3 hours to get to Estill county on a bus making it impossible to play each other unless its on weekends. They both played in a lot of tourney's on the weekends so that is probably why they didn't play each other this year, just an assumption Smile

Good Post. More than likely Jenkins and Estill will play in the finals of the 14th Region Tourney. It should be a very good match up.
I agree with that 100%!
cougarpride08 Wrote:A basketball coach has a top 4 region team two years in a row, and get fired. We have a softball coach who hasn't won a district title in three years, and nothing will probably be done to him. What a shame.

Next year will make it four ;]
Does Jenkins have enough talent to do it again next year? Who all will be returning?
Playhard Wrote:Does Jenkins have enough talent to do it again next year? Who all will be returning?

They do have the talent. The ones graduating will be Rachel and Whitney. Pitcher and 1st Baseman. I'd say next year Senior Brooke Webb will pitch. And I don't know who would be 1st Baseman. They've got what it takes to win district and make a run in the Region Tourney.
is all the softball games gonna get played today or is it pouring the rain down in Breathitt?
Eastern Ky will always be behind till coaches care and study the game. Girls are not taught the correct fundamentals on how to throw, field, hit, running bases, pitching and i could go on. There are only a few people in eastern ky that know and study the game. Very few - they don't put the time in that it takes and it starts at a young age but they can be changed in high school with the work ethic. how many play summerball??? and I mean summerball not the league at the park ball. I could go on but I won't. but you ask aboput estill , they do good in 14th because it's very weak. move into any other region they wouldn't make it. shows when they go to state. 2 and out.
The sun is shining right now. Hopefully it stays that way.
heard it was thundering in Hazard.
cougarpride08 Wrote:heard it was thundering in Hazard.

The Jenkins Powell game will be finished on Saturday at 1.
This was posted by outsidein "Eastern Ky will always be behind till coaches care and study the game. Girls are not taught the correct fundamentals on how to throw, field, hit, running bases, pitching and i could go on. There are only a few people in eastern ky that know and study the game. Very few - they don't put the time in that it takes and it starts at a young age but they can be changed in high school with the work ethic. how many play summerball??? and I mean summerball not the league at the park ball. I could go on but I won't. but you ask aboput estill , they do good in 14th because it's very weak. move into any other region they wouldn't make it. shows when they go to state. 2 and out."

The problem in the 14th Region with girls softball is that it starts the week after the girls basketball state tournament. A lot of girls play hoops. Another thing is that the Head Softball Coaches only make about 10% of what a HEAD GIRLS Basketball Coach makes. So why in the world would anyone want to work their *** off to build a program when you DONT get rewarded for it? Its probably harder coaching softball and keeping up a field as compared to playing in a gym. Everyone around here is BASKETBALL crazy. In the other parts of Kentucky, they like their softball just as good as basketball. I guarantee if the schools in the 14th shelled out as much as North Laurel or South Laurel did to their coaches that we could get some experienced coaches in this area. Letcher Central pays really well but thats about the only school in Eastern Kentucky that takes care of their coaches and respects their time and hard work. Everyone else coaches for peanuts around here and thats why nobody cares.
why would they because they love the game - when you love the game it doesn't matter what your pay is and you take pride in your team and players. If you coach because of money in highschool esp. girls sports your in it for the wrong reason so you should get out. You coach because you love the game. The season doesn't start after girls basketball it's year round. That is if you love the game. People can continue to blame this and that, we don't get this we don't get that. study the game... go to clinics.. rewards is making a athlete better, making a team better...
outsidein Wrote:Eastern Ky will always be behind till coaches care and study the game. Girls are not taught the correct fundamentals on how to throw, field, hit, running bases, pitching and i could go on. There are only a few people in eastern ky that know and study the game. Very few - they don't put the time in that it takes and it starts at a young age but they can be changed in high school with the work ethic. how many play summerball??? and I mean summerball not the league at the park ball. I could go on but I won't. but you ask aboput estill , they do good in 14th because it's very weak. move into any other region they wouldn't make it. shows when they go to state. 2 and out.

It pains me to admit this being born in Eastern Kentucky and having lived there all my life but there is a lot of truth to this post. Before everyone crucifies me, I realize there may be a few others in the 14th that I'm not familiar with, but for the most part outside of Estill and Jenkins there is not a high level of commitment and passion from the coaches. The same thing is true to a large degree in the 15th region as well.
Playhard Wrote:Does Jenkins have enough talent to do it again next year? Who all will be returning?

Jenkins should be very strong next year in 2010. They will return 7 of the nine starters from this years squad year in addition to the designiated hitter who has batted for the pitcher most of this season. They will graduate the pitcher and the 1st baseman. Brooke Webb is the heir apparent to replace Thacker on the Mound. She throws hard, 55 mph or thereabouts and can change speeds well. She should do well next year. More than likeley Lesha Fleiming will step in at first base next year as a junior. She has done well this year in JV games and as a pinch hitter for the varsity until an injury sidelned her for the season 3weeks ago. The following year in 2011 they will be competitive with most of the 14th region teams but it will most definately be a rebuilding year and they will take some lumps.
warmachine Wrote:This was posted by outsidein "Eastern Ky will always be behind till coaches care and study the game. Girls are not taught the correct fundamentals on how to throw, field, hit, running bases, pitching and i could go on. There are only a few people in eastern ky that know and study the game. Very few - they don't put the time in that it takes and it starts at a young age but they can be changed in high school with the work ethic. how many play summerball??? and I mean summerball not the league at the park ball. I could go on but I won't. but you ask aboput estill , they do good in 14th because it's very weak. move into any other region they wouldn't make it. shows when they go to state. 2 and out."

The problem in the 14th Region with girls softball is that it starts the week after the girls basketball state tournament. A lot of girls play hoops. Another thing is that the Head Softball Coaches only make about 10% of what a HEAD GIRLS Basketball Coach makes. So why in the world would anyone want to work their *** off to build a program when you DONT get rewarded for it? Its probably harder coaching softball and keeping up a field as compared to playing in a gym. Everyone around here is BASKETBALL crazy. In the other parts of Kentucky, they like their softball just as good as basketball. I guarantee if the schools in the 14th shelled out as much as North Laurel or South Laurel did to their coaches that we could get some experienced coaches in this area. Letcher Central pays really well but thats about the only school in Eastern Kentucky that takes care of their coaches and respects their time and hard work. Everyone else coaches for peanuts around here and thats why nobody cares.

I don't know that I agree with the 10% figure quoted here but for the most part I do agree with this post.
warmachine Wrote:This was posted by outsidein "Eastern Ky will always be behind till coaches care and study the game. Girls are not taught the correct fundamentals on how to throw, field, hit, running bases, pitching and i could go on. There are only a few people in eastern ky that know and study the game. Very few - they don't put the time in that it takes and it starts at a young age but they can be changed in high school with the work ethic. how many play summerball??? and I mean summerball not the league at the park ball. I could go on but I won't. but you ask aboput estill , they do good in 14th because it's very weak. move into any other region they wouldn't make it. shows when they go to state. 2 and out."

if Estill couldnt make it out of any other Region then why did they make it out of the 10th a few years back and finished 4th in the state?
nothing against estill but i'm trying to remember i believe they had two pretty good pitchers and they had a girl that hit the ball well and i think she wsa a freshman or sophmore i think, long time so sorry if it's not right but i can't remember, but up untill that year estill did nothing in 10th and that was there last year in the tenth. I think there pitcher went to berea and georgetown to play and the girl that hit was all regional last year (i think) not sure where she went but from the games last year i saw of estill she probably the best that ever came out of there. but just seen a few
outsidein Wrote:Eastern Ky will always be behind till coaches care and study the game. Girls are not taught the correct fundamentals on how to throw, field, hit, running bases, pitching and i could go on. There are only a few people in eastern ky that know and study the game. Very few - they don't put the time in that it takes and it starts at a young age but they can be changed in high school with the work ethic. how many play summerball??? and I mean summerball not the league at the park ball. I could go on but I won't. but you ask aboput estill , they do good in 14th because it's very weak. move into any other region they wouldn't make it. shows when they go to state. 2 and out.

You make good points. And just to add on what you said about very few people studying the game, those that do study it and coach the young teams are forced to put ball on the back-burner for the sake of working long hours and late nights and cannot put the time into what would make for championship teams in the future...if any of that makes sense.

And I agree about Estill. Why else would the be moved into this region where most of their regional competition is over an hour and a half away?

But Letcher Central doesn't take care of their coaches. The treat them like crap unless their last name happens to be Howard. He is probably the only coach you'll find in that school that is happy with the administration.

And as far as the pay is concerned, Places like Laurel County have an economic infrastructure that allows the schools to make more money and be able to pay coaches more. I don't think you'll ever see anything like that in places like Letcher, Perry, and Knott Counties. There is just no economic base except for the coal industry and when we hit an economic downturn like we're in right now you might as well roll up the sidewalks in these communities.

Any coach that comes to this area will probably come here for love of the game and not for the money. They'd be fool hearted to do so. That is, unless of course you name HAPPENS to be Howard.
Love for the game???? It starts out that way and then you get treated like crap by the parents and get spit on by the administration then all of a sudden you start looking at the big picture. Why should a GIRLS Basketball Coach make $8,000 dollars a year coaching while a GIRLS Softball Coach makes $1,200? I know several BOYS Basketball Coaches in the 54th district making 80 and $90,000 a year and they dont even TEACH a class. If you can sit back and say thats fair then you are a complete RETARD. Theres plenty of money floating around the great 54th district. You know that district that produces so man Division 1 basketball players every year. WHAT A JOKE! If anyone knows for sure, post what each softball coach in the Region makes for coaching if you know. And also post what the Girls Basketball Coach makes. Lets look at some figures and then try to figure out if you would honestly have your so called LOVE FOR THE GAME.
outsidein Wrote:nothing against estill but i'm trying to remember i believe they had two pretty good pitchers and they had a girl that hit the ball well and i think she wsa a freshman or sophmore i think, long time so sorry if it's not right but i can't remember, but up untill that year estill did nothing in 10th and that was there last year in the tenth. I think there pitcher went to berea and georgetown to play and the girl that hit was all regional last year (i think) not sure where she went but from the games last year i saw of estill she probably the best that ever came out of there. but just seen a few

they might have, i think i was a Freshman or sophmore when they came out of the 10th. i know they had a really good pitcher in Brittany Thomas and all kinds of other really good players
warmachine Wrote:Love for the game???? It starts out that way and then you get treated like crap by the parents and get spit on by the administration then all of a sudden you start looking at the big picture. Why should a GIRLS Basketball Coach make $8,000 dollars a year coaching while a GIRLS Softball Coach makes $1,200? I know several BOYS Basketball Coaches in the 54th district making 80 and $90,000 a year and they dont even TEACH a class. If you can sit back and say thats fair then you are a complete RETARD. Theres plenty of money floating around the great 54th district. You know that district that produces so man Division 1 basketball players every year. WHAT A JOKE! If anyone knows for sure, post what each softball coach in the Region makes for coaching if you know. And also post what the Girls Basketball Coach makes. Lets look at some figures and then try to figure out if you would honestly have your so called LOVE FOR THE GAME.

yes love for the game... sounds like you need to find another game why does uk basketball coach makes more the the football coach more than the any coach on uk teams. No coaches make the same. Thats not done. but if you make less does that mean you don't do your best. That's the problem with people with your attitude. Your just in it for the money and you turn out bad teams. Parents?? Yep there are bad parents and parents that only think of one thing but that's where a coach needs to study the game know what there doing and work hard to make there kids better. If you make the kids better and better as a person than the team will be better and then parents will be better. Of course your not going to make everyone happy the best coachesin the country doesn't make everyone happy. If you worry about that then you need to find another love of the game. How many division 1 softball players come out of 54 dis.???? Well a retard can figure that out also. so lets say you get paid on what you produce???? But that's not coaching... coaching ismaking your players the best they can be and thats also making them better people. Coaches in eastern ky do not study the gme. They teach athletes no mechanics in fielding, throwing, hitting or any aspect of the game. Learn fastpich it'sa great game. Don't worry about the money. worry about these young ladies and make them great people and athletes. They are athletes.
outsidein Wrote:yes love for the game... sounds like you need to find another game why does uk basketball coach makes more the the football coach more than the any coach on uk teams. No coaches make the same. Thats not done. but if you make less does that mean you don't do your best. That's the problem with people with your attitude. Your just in it for the money and you turn out bad teams. Parents?? Yep there are bad parents and parents that only think of one thing but that's where a coach needs to study the game know what there doing and work hard to make there kids better. If you make the kids better and better as a person than the team will be better and then parents will be better. Of course your not going to make everyone happy the best coachesin the country doesn't make everyone happy. If you worry about that then you need to find another love of the game. How many division 1 softball players come out of 54 dis.???? Well a retard can figure that out also. so lets say you get paid on what you produce???? But that's not coaching... coaching ismaking your players the best they can be and thats also making them better people. Coaches in eastern ky do not study the gme. They teach athletes no mechanics in fielding, throwing, hitting or any aspect of the game. Learn fastpich it'sa great game. Don't worry about the money. worry about these young ladies and make them great people and athletes. They are athletes.

See...this person has the right idea. Obviously Mr. warmachine is the one that doesn't get it.
This is HIGH SCHOOL Sports we are talking about!!!!!!!!! NOT THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY. Is it fair to say the basketball coach deserves more than the Volleyball Coach? They are working with the same kids right? What if the basketball coach doesnt play AAU or do anything extra after the regular season as compared to the Volleyball Coach that Coaches and Plays year around with his or her volleyball team and constantly wins the regional?

The REASON you dont see the great FUNDAMENTALLY sound coaches in the
14th Region is because the Great Coaching Candidates cant get a job teaching in this area because all they hire here are BASKETBALL coaches. This is just the truth. Most teams in the 14th Region wouldnt pay Jenny Finch $2000 a year to coach. Why? BECAUSE THEY DONT CARE. If someone at the School Board has a kid playing that is serious about the sport then its a different story. They may pay their coaches more. But people around here only care about the big orange leather ball, even the women.

No it isnt about the money you are right about that. I just think people in this area of the state have their priorities all messed up. You are working with kids and all the kids should be treated fairly. Have you ever wondered if the girls softball players wondered why their coach only made lets say a $1,000 a year as compared to the Boys Basketball Coach that makes $90,000 a year? How would that make you feel? Real important? I didnt think so.

I LOVE SOFTBALL and about every other sport their is. I just believe everyone should be treated equally.
warmachine Wrote:This is HIGH SCHOOL Sports we are talking about!!!!!!!!! NOT THE UNIVERSITY OF KENTUCKY. Is it fair to say the basketball coach deserves more than the Volleyball Coach? They are working with the same kids right? What if the basketball coach doesnt play AAU or do anything extra after the regular season as compared to the Volleyball Coach that Coaches and Plays year around with his or her volleyball team and constantly wins the regional?

The REASON you dont see the great FUNDAMENTALLY sound coaches in the
14th Region is because the Great Coaching Candidates cant get a job teaching in this area because all they hire here are BASKETBALL coaches. This is just the truth. Most teams in the 14th Region wouldnt pay Jenny Finch $2000 a year to coach. Why? BECAUSE THEY DONT CARE. If someone at the School Board has a kid playing that is serious about the sport then its a different story. They may pay their coaches more. But people around here only care about the big orange leather ball, even the women.

No it isnt about the money you are right about that. I just think people in this area of the state have their priorities all messed up. You are working with kids and all the kids should be treated fairly. Have you ever wondered if the girls softball players wondered why their coach only made lets say a $1,000 a year as compared to the Boys Basketball Coach that makes $90,000 a year? How would that make you feel? Real important? I didnt think so.

I LOVE SOFTBALL and about every other sport their is. I just believe everyone should be treated equally.

See, that makes more sense. I agree that it should be equal across the board and I agree that the madness for basketball is out of control, especially with what these coaches are making now. It's pitiful.

I think talent should be compensated fairly, yes, but teachers that teach science, english, math, and social studies have a far more important job than a basketball or football coach and they should be the ones making higher salaries. The lessons they teach will at least help this kids to make a living post-high school but the lessons of coaches will do little more than teach them how to have conversations about sports (and yes I'm aware that kids learn teamwork and disciplin from coaches but the two just don't compare.)

As far as baseball and softball go, it is a pretty crappy feeling to know that your sport gets maybe $2000 a year to operate on while the football teams and basketball teams get $15,000 or more (and that's in small schools). You really get a feel for how important you are to the board with figures like that.
high school sports that's right.. your right we are talking high school sports but that gives a coach no right to coach and not learn the game... not learn the basics of the game... if your upset because you don't make enough money guess what ??? you can get out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!we are talking high school sports. we are talking softball but i was trying to point out that there are alot of things in life not fair. teachers making less than coaches, administrators making more than teachers ..... i could go on but the point is if you only coach because of money than you need to get out esp. softball... if you want to coach softball learn the game..... learn the game..... it doesn't cost much to learn the game... try reading... try internet.... try clinics... call a college coach ... successful college coach ask them if you can come and watch practice... guess what they would love to have you.... but people learn the game.. war if your upset cause your not making anything find another sport you think you can... if you trully love softball than work hard in learning the game not because of money but because you want your girls to be better.. calm down if you need help in learning the game yell at me and i would love to help you... and guess what i won't charge you a dime.... because it's a great game and have a great time teaching young ladies the game.
Whatever Jenkins pays their coach, it's not enough. To quote Bum Phillips, She could take hers and beat yours or take yours and beat hers. She adapts her style of play to the strengths of her players.
At LCC the softball team gets no money from the board. All expenses are paid by money that is raised by the players and parents. That includes all equipment, buses and umpires.
I coach basketball. And I really dont give a **** either. I have bigger fish to fry. Good luck to all you girls softball coaches out there and I hope you get a raise. If you dont like what you are getting paid, start *****ing about it. Everyone has the right to talk and speak there mind. So what if you get fired. Wow.
There is still that rumor about they have two years to build a softball field since they built the baseball field. I have heard that they are appealing it due to the fact they are waiting on funding for the vocational school, and the location where they want to build the field is where all the equipment is going to be located.