Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
John Wall...Best College Guard since
leecoukfan Wrote:Johnny Flynn wasn't half the player in college that John Wall is!

hahah, Okay. :eyeroll:
leecoukfan Wrote:Johnny Flynn wasn't half the player in college that John Wall is!

LCF, I'm not going to defend that Johnny Flynn was better than John Wall, but how do you compare players? Stats?

Both Players Freshman year:

Wall 17 PPG 7 assists PG (through 18 games)

Flynn 16 PPG 5 assists PG (Season totals - including Big East which was the #1 conference in the nation)
Overrated Wrote:Reminds me of Johnny Flynn also.

Stardust Wrote::lmao: That is great :Thumbs:

Came across wrong.:worthy: My comment was meant to be a compliment to Flynn's entire Freshman season against a top 5 RPI schedule.
Stardust Wrote:Came across wrong.:worthy: My comment was meant to be a compliment to Flynn's entire Freshman season against a top 5 RPI schedule.

Ohh, Im sorry, I thought ya was meaning different. My bad. And yeah nothing wrong with being compared to Flynn, He had 29 the other night against Sixers. Right there for ROTY.:Thumbs:
Also I think Flynn just avg. 3 T/O a game as a freshman, Not sure what Wall averages right now..
Stardust Wrote:LCF, I'm not going to defend that Johnny Flynn was better than John Wall, but how do you compare players? Stats?

Flynn 16 PPG 5 assists PG (Season totals - including Big East which was the #1 conference in the nation)

Not to disagree with your point, I am going to disagree with the indication that the stats are that close.

An AVERAGE of 2 assists a game makes a big difference. 5 assists puts a player about middle of the pack for good point guards. 7 assists per game puts a player 2nd in the NCAA's.

Johnny Flynn was one of the major scoring options for Syracuse. Flynn, Devendorf and .....I'm not sure who else. don't forget that Flynn played in that 6 overtime game, so he got to county basically two full games worth of stats as one game. The reason that is a big deal is this:
Imagine if Flynn only played 2 games. One game he had 16 points and 5 assists, (like his regular average) then he played a 6-OT game against UCONN and had 43 points and 12 assists. His average goes to 29.5 points and 8.5 assists. I know that the gap would be smaller if stretched out to a 30 game season but the fact remains that he had a sensational game against UCONN and the LENGTH of that game certainly helped him pad the stats.

BTW- i realize that I am making a mountain out of a mole-hill with the UCONN game but someone I know actually calculated his stats before and after the game and it did make a significant difference. One player on the team went from about 8 PPG to around 12.5!!!!!!!!!!!
lwc Wrote:Not to disagree with your point, I am going to disagree with the indication that the stats are that close.

An AVERAGE of 2 assists a game makes a big difference. 5 assists puts a player about middle of the pack for good point guards. 7 assists per game puts a player 2nd in the NCAA's.

Johnny Flynn was one of the major scoring options for Syracuse. Flynn, Devendorf and .....I'm not sure who else. don't forget that Flynn played in that 6 overtime game, so he got to county basically two full games worth of stats as one game. The reason that is a big deal is this:
Imagine if Flynn only played 2 games. One game he had 16 points and 5 assists, (like his regular average) then he played a 6-OT game against UCONN and had 43 points and 12 assists. His average goes to 29.5 points and 8.5 assists. I know that the gap would be smaller if stretched out to a 30 game season but the fact remains that he had a sensational game against UCONN and the LENGTH of that game certainly helped him pad the stats.

BTW- i realize that I am making a mountain out of a mole-hill with the UCONN game but someone I know actually calculated his stats before and after the game and it did make a significant difference. One player on the team went from about 8 PPG to around 12.5!!!!!!!!!!!

The Uconn game was Flynns Sophomore year. Not Freshman.
hmmm...Tony Delk??
Stardust Wrote:LCF, I'm not going to defend that Johnny Flynn was better than John Wall, but how do you compare players? Stats?

well freshman year Edgar Sosa shared big east fresh of the year with flynn..not saying that sosa is better than wall or wall is better than sosa, but if flynn as a fresh was thrown in the mix you have to put sosa in there too!:biggrin:
lwc Wrote:Not to disagree with your point, I am going to disagree with the indication that the stats are that close.

As far as assist go...you have to look at who wall has around him...he has alot more talent than flynn had around him..to put the ball in hole when he dished it to him..
im saying steph curry was better than wall though
theVILLE Wrote:im saying steph curry was better than wall though

As a Freshman????
Spartan4Life Wrote:how can you compare Johnn Wall to Pete Marivich?

I was never comparing Wall to Maravich, Robertson or West. Wall couldn't hold Maravich's JOCK. The trouble with some of you people is you are either very very young and haven't seen many good guards or you're so nearsighted you can't judge talent. Wall is a very good guard but he's not the best guard ever to play the game. He's not even the best guard to play at UK. Does the names Dampier, Chapman, Delk ring a bell?
Don't take an opinion of someone who don't happen to agree with your's as a criticism it isn't meant that way. Again Wall is a very good player, but I seen a lot of players better than him.
Stardust Wrote::Thumbs: Yes, he does not compare with these guys. What I don't know is the records and stats for their teams in their Freshman years. I'm doubtful that Freshman were elligible when the Big O and West played. Not sure about Pete.

Freshmen were not allowed to play until 1972, so yes that includes Pete.
Spartan4Life Wrote:how can you compare Johnn Wall to Pete Marivich?

You cant because there is no comparison. Pete in a landslide.
Stardust Wrote:As a Freshman????

possibly
Overrated Wrote:Ohh, Im sorry, I thought ya was meaning different. My bad. And yeah nothing wrong with being compared to Flynn, He had 29 the other night against Sixers. Right there for ROTY.:Thumbs:

ROTY might as well already be on its way to Sacramento. The only player close to Tyreke is Brandon Jennings. Not a bad rookie campaign for Flynn though.
Stardust Wrote:As a Freshman????
I don't think theres been this much hype over a freshman since Stephon Marbury at Georgia Tech coming out of NYC.
I believe the Pistol Pete comment has some truth in it, but it depends on the perspective you look at it.

In terms of shear God given talent I think it is very fair to put Wall in a category with Maravich, Magic, and the other greats. Wall has the ability to transcend the sport and evolve the game... he is that talented.

BUT, in terms of actual performance and statistical output there is no comparison to the greats of the collegiate game and we won't see Wall long enough at this level to ever put him on that level. All we can go by is his performance while in college, and as an 18 YO Freshman he simply cannot stack up to what some of the greats did. If Wall were at UK for 4 seasons there is not a doubt in my mind he could become the greatest collegiate player ever...but that won't happen.

For what he has done this year, Chris Paul is the first name that comes to mind.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I believe the Pistol Pete comment has some truth in it, but it depends on the perspective you look at it.

In terms of shear God given talent I think it is very fair to put Wall in a category with Maravich, Magic, and the other greats. Wall has the ability to transcend the sport and evolve the game... he is that talented.

BUT, in terms of actual performance and statistical output there is no comparison to the greats of the collegiate game and we won't see Wall long enough at this level to ever put him on that level. All we can go by is his performance while in college, and as an 18 YO Freshman he simply cannot stack up to what some of the greats did. If Wall were at UK for 4 seasons there is not a doubt in my mind he could become the greatest collegiate player ever...but that won't happen.For what he has done this year, Chris Paul is the first name that comes to mind.

You could make the same arguement for Melo and Kevin Durant if they stayed four years.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I believe the Pistol Pete comment has some truth in it, but it depends on the perspective you look at it.

BUT, in terms of actual performance and statistical output there is no comparison to the greats of the collegiate game and we won't see Wall long enough at this level to ever put him on that level. All we can go by is his performance while in college, and as an 18 YO Freshman he simply cannot stack up to what some of the greats did. If Wall were at UK for 4 seasons there is not a doubt in my mind he could become the greatest collegiate player ever...but that won't happen.
For what he has done this year, Chris Paul is the first name that comes to mind.
The thing that would make me contradict that is his shooting ability. Not that he is a bad shooter, but he will never become what Pete was if he played at UK for 40 years.

The thing that sets Pete head and shoulders above the rest IMO, is his unlimted shooting range. People that do this sort of thing went back and recharted every game that Pete ever played in college and determined that if the three point line had been in existence back then he would have AVERAGED 13 , 3points shots a game. That's right, AVERAGED, FOR A CAREER. That's puts him averaging almost 60 points a game , every game, for every game he ever played in. Unbelievable. He was a wizard with a basketball, and maybe the best passer that ever played the game to go on top of it.

Is everybody forgetting about another guard that played at UNC a few years ago. Surely you people are not in anyway trying to compare Wall with Michael Jordon too, are you? My how quickly you can be forgotten.

Matter of fact after I think about it, Pete /Michael, hmmmm.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:The thing that would make me contradict that is his shooting ability. Not that he is a bad shooter, but he will never become what Pete was if he played at UK for 40 years.

The thing that sets Pete head and shoulders above the rest IMO, is his unlimted shooting range. People that do this sort of thing went back and recharted every game that Pete ever played in college and determined that if the three point line had been in existence back then he would have AVERAGED 13 , 3points shots a game. That's right, AVERAGED, FOR A CAREER. That's puts him averaging almost 60 points a game , every game, for every game he ever played in. Unbelievable. He was a wizard with a basketball, and maybe the best passer that ever played the game to go on top of it.

Is everybody forgetting about another guard that played at UNC a few years ago. Surely you people are not in anyway trying to compare Wall with Michael Jordon too, are you? My how quickly you can be forgotten.

Matter of fact after I think about it, Pete /Michael, hmmmm.

Couldn't have said it better myself Mr Kimball.
Uhh Since Derek Rose??????? Smile
Derrick Rose is my pick
His quickness off the 1st step reminds me of someone a bit taller... The L-Train, Lionel Simmons. He could just explode to the hoop.
LCDAWGS19 Wrote:His quickness off the 1st step reminds me of someone a bit taller... The L-Train, Lionel Simmons. He could just explode to the hoop.

Now Lionel Simmons was a great college basketball player. Lasalle right???
kyrifle Wrote:Couldn't have said it better myself Mr Kimball.

You remember last year when all these kids went on and on about Jodie Meeks being the greatest player in Kentucky history, just because he scored what was it 56 points in one game? Put this in perspective, that greatest game ever for Meeks by a Kentucky player was below Maravich's average for every single game he played his entire career.
Stardust Wrote:Now Lionel Simmons was a great college basketball player. Lasalle right???

That is correct. He's 4th all-time in DI scoring with 3217 pts.
John Wall...Best College Guard since hummm Confusedecret: Eric Bledsoe.
The best since Devon Downey?