Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is 75 points running the score up?
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Absolutely NOT. "They ran the score up on us" is absolutely the weakest, softest, most pathetic statement that ANYBODY can give defending their team. I would take it as an insult if a team intentionally tried not to score against a team I was coaching. As a coach, if you keep your team from burying another team, you are taking away their killer instinct. In my opinion, and its the right one, as long as the time doesnt show a bunch of 0's, you should be trying to score, and you should be trying every way in the book to do it. If you are beating a hapless team by 80 points, its not your fault they cant stop you. Keep scoring. Call timeouts to stop the clock, fake punts, the whole 9 yards. I absolutely hate when coaches take their foot off the pedal. So no, 75 points isnt running up the score. There is no such thing. If you can dish it out, you need to learn to take it.

Sir, I'd like to shake your hand. This may be the best thing I've ever read on here.
VHSL-helper Wrote:let's see.... 47-14 at h/t ... gotta wipe that out, so 28-0 in 2nd half.
Had a late 3rd q TD from a starter, which isn't cool, but it put him over 300, so he might been going for the school record... who knows. Makes the score 67-14.
Only TD in 4th came after a SV turnover at their 26 ... hard not to score from there.

This coulda been a LOT worse.... doesn't look like running-up to me.... looks like, well, I won't say what I was gonna say... these are HS kids.

This ain't Peanut League where everyone wins. This is a game. My job is to score... yours is to score more. If you csn't keep up, don't blsme me for being better.

As the Old Ball Coach Steve Spurrier once said" It's my job to score it's your job to stop me.I did my job better than you"

I got no love for Valley on this subject they have always kicked peoples teeth in when the chance was there to do it from there feeder system when Greg newsome coached Virgie he'd put a 100 on you if he could to Kevin Saunders who whipped every bodyhe could as bad as he could so dry it up and take it like a man.
JIMLEE58 Wrote:First of all, let me say I'm in no way complaining,just stating some facts.LC is a very good team who deserved the win and dominated in every aspect. With that said, they did do an onside kick while being up by 31, they did have their starting offense in until the 6:36mark of the 4th quarter,and I'm not really sure about how long the starting defense was in. As for the "fake punt" at KC, it was actually a busted punt and the kicker chose to run it,as I remember it.Again, I reiterate, I'm not complaining.If we had a team like LC, who knows what we might do?? Hopefully not that though!
Well to start with we never onside kicked the first time.....after the opening kick off we decided not to kick to them anymore.. so they would just pooch it over the first line and our kids are so fast to the ball they made it close everytime.. and yes valley miss handled on kick that LC recovered but it was not an onside kick.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Absolutely NOT. "They ran the score up on us" is absolutely the weakest, softest, most pathetic statement that ANYBODY can give defending their team. I would take it as an insult if a team intentionally tried not to score against a team I was coaching. As a coach, if you keep your team from burying another team, you are taking away their killer instinct. In my opinion, and its the right one, as long as the time doesnt show a bunch of 0's, you should be trying to score, and you should be trying every way in the book to do it. If you are beating a hapless team by 80 points, its not your fault they cant stop you. Keep scoring. Call timeouts to stop the clock, fake punts, the whole 9 yards. I absolutely hate when coaches take their foot off the pedal. So no, 75 points isnt running up the score. There is no such thing. If you can dish it out, you need to learn to take it.

Its HS football. You wanna teach kids good sportsmanship and what your suggesting is none of that. If your JV and freshman put up points, then that can't be helped. Why take the risk of hurting a starter in a game that you have already won? thats STUPID. You take your "foot off the pedal" so that all of your players actually get a chance to play and your younger players get some experience. As far as im concerned this is one of the dumbest posts I have ever read on here. How would it have looked if a star player broke his leg and your up 60 points against a terrible ball team? Could ruin the rest of a teams season.
StrayBullet Wrote:Just gets to me a little that nobody is mentioning that SV MAY have ran the score up last week at KCC but when LC does it then it becomes a hot topic of discussion.

I know for a fact that SV played their starters for about one half, some did not even play that much.

I believe to that there was only one offensive play Friday night that #3 was not on the field, and that play was run with 26 seconds left.

I do believe you have to give your starters some time on the field no matter what the score is, but give me a break.
CatDawg Wrote:Have you noticed most of the complaints haven't came from SV, heck maybe none of them. Seems others are the ones having the problem with it.

I'm not complaining, a game is a game; one point to add, I would hate to see a starter, especially one of your primary offensive weapons, get hit and have an injury or have a freak accident on a play and blow out a knee on a play that doesn't really mean anything, when you are up by an unsummountable margin.

Just something to think about...
after 42 points you should back off
Let me add something it has nothing to do with football but I seen several score from Valleys basketball team that was beating teams by 40 points.. Do you tell them not to shoot or try for the steal or try for the rebound.. Well its the same difference. And I am not trashing the program just using them as an example.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[YOUTUBE="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Y2Ezx8SnN0"][/YOUTUBE]
I was told from a very reliable source close to the team that LC started to bring reserves into the game during the 2nd quarter.
Valley needs to take a cue from LC and quit scheduling tough teams until they can get more competitive.
RoShamBo Wrote:Pendleton Co. put up 97 on Letcher Co. a few years back if I remember correctly. Anyways I think it has more to do with the nature of the win. Was there bad blood before the game? Did the starters stay in late into the 2nd half? Were they passing the ball or running trick plays after going up a few touchdowns? If the answer is yes to all of these questions, then yeah 75 is running up the score. But as Jimmy Johnson would say, you can only coach one team.

I don't think Pendleton Co. put 97 points up on Letcher Co. Might have put that much up on someone, but I am certain it was not Letcher.
Diogenes Wrote:Sir, I'd like to shake your hand. This may be the best thing I've ever read on here.

Its about time someone said something sensible:thanks: For the rest of you babies:Cheerlead heres your pom poms take up cheerleading, no on second thought its probably too rough for you.
Hondo Wrote:I'm not complaining, a game is a game; one point to add, I would hate to see a starter, especially one of your primary offensive weapons, get hit and have an injury or have a freak accident on a play and blow out a knee on a play that doesn't really mean anything, when you are up by an unsummountable margin.

Just something to think about...
I agree and would hate for that to happen at anytime. It could happen in practice and the way some compare LC's schedule I'm sure they feel this was just a practice scrimmage anyway. I would love for them to have been out by halftime, but they also need some game experience and if they keep pulling them out at the half they won't be ready for the tougher games much less playoffs. I also think that LC only had the ball twice in the 4th. 1 play to start the period which went for a 26 yard TD by Marcum and then for the last few seconds. Due to the running clock the offense wasn't even on the field but for 2 plays in the 4th if I'm correct. Like someone VERY close to the program said on here earlier they started putting in the reserves on defense in the 2nd qtr, prior to SV getting their only offensive TD. So even if the Offense had starters in until late, SV had a runnning clock plus played against 2nd, 3rd and 4th string defenses from the second qtr on which should have allowed them to kill some clock as well.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
I just think it was one of those games where SV was over-matched on the field and compared to the coaching staffs. Some offensive play calls were setup so well by the LC coaches that SV was out of position and we had WR's running wide open for days it seems.
mandan Wrote:Valley needs to take a cue from LC and quit scheduling tough teams until they can get more competitive.
Next year this could be a district game. Probably more like a regional one but could be in the same district.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
tcb Wrote:I don't think Pendleton Co. put 97 points up on Letcher Co. Might have put that much up on someone, but I am certain it was not Letcher.
According to KHSAA they did.

http://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kyfb4/17464

Pendleton was 3-3 at the time and finished 5-5. This game took place on October 1st, 2004.
CatDawg Wrote:According to KHSAA they did.

Pendleton was 3-3 at the time and finished 5-5. This game took place on October 1st, 2004.

Catdawg is all over it tonight people watch out...:yikes:
No I'm just sick of hearing some of this crap. If LC doesn't play their players for long parts of games they won't stand a chance once again come playoffs. This is due to the weak schedule that we all know about. However, I didn't hear anything about ANY of these teams on the schedule calling and trying to get out of the games this year after last years results.
CatDawg Wrote:No I'm just sick of hearing some of this crap. If LC doesn't play their players for long parts of games they won't stand a chance once again come playoffs. This is due to the weak schedule that we all know about. However, I didn't hear anything about ANY of these teams on the schedule calling and trying to get out of the games this year after last years results.

With LC dropping a class next fall I am sure that the schedule will be a little different than this year.
Actually not sure how much, it is possible that Sheldon Clark, East Ridge and Shelby Valley could all be district games. Most likely not due to location but is possible. So do we keep Boyd, Rowan and Greenup on the schedule since they are an upper class that way eveyone can say how much tougher the schedule is since we will have at least three teams from an upper class on the schedule. LOL
CatDawg Wrote:Actually not sure how much, it is possible that Sheldon Clark, East Ridge and Shelby Valley could all be district games. Most likely not due to location but is possible. So do we keep Boyd, Rowan and Greenup on the schedule since they are an upper class that way eveyone can say how much tougher the schedule is since we will have at least three teams from an upper class on the schedule. LOL

We should more than likely drop Boyd, Rowan and Greenup and pick up Prestonsburg, Raceland and Russell.
Those names sound better but you drop three 4a teams to add a single A Raceland, AA Prestonsburg and Russell? I don't know if that is a good trade or not.
StrayBullet Wrote:We should more than likely drop Boyd, Rowan and Greenup and pick up Prestonsburg, Raceland and Russell.

I would love it if LC and Raceland rivalry was renewed. I loved playing LC.
CatDawg Wrote:Those names sound better but you drop three 4a teams to add a single A Raceland, AA Prestonsburg and Russell? I don't know if that is a good trade or not.

They may not be the biggest school LC could play but the quality of the opponent to most would look better on paper. Playing Greenup, Rowan and such apparently to most on here gets you no respect.
Jarons Wrote:I would love it if LC and Raceland rivalry was renewed. I loved playing LC.

From what I am told that is being setup and discussed for next year:Thumbs:
I'd say it is running up the score. Danville was ahead 47-0 over Pikeville tonight at half and only scored 7 in the second half. No need to run up a huge score.
But give Pikeville 14 at the half does Danville add more than 7 especially if they intercept a pass and have a walk to the endzone.
CatDawg Wrote:But give Pikeville 14 at the half does Danville add more than 7 especially if they intercept a pass and have a walk to the endzone.

:rockon:
CatDawg Wrote:According to KHSAA they did.

This was Letcher High not LCC . It was a year or so before Consolidation to form LCC....
I don't think he said Letcher Co. Central in his post and the last part of tcb's post stated, "but I am certain it was not Letcher". However, it was Letcher.