Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cheerleaders needed or not?
They are needed and should be respected.

:Cheerlead :Cheerlead :Cheerlead :Cheerlead
Cheerleaders add to the atmosphere and excitement of the game, but it should never be in doubt who the fans are paying to see on game night. Fans come to see the basketball players (unless they are direct relatives of the kids who are cheerleading).
"DOC" Wrote:Cheerleaders add to the atmosphere and excitement of the game, but it should never be in doubt who the fans are paying to see on game night. Fans come to see the basketball players (unless they are direct relatives of the kids who are cheerleading).

True.
"blackcatforever" Wrote:I know exactly what you're talking about. Some are out there because THEY WANT to support the school, others are there because they want to wear a skirt.
All the games that I have been to in the 58th - the fans chant with the cheerleaders, at any game tourney or not.

And you are right, some people won't chant with us- why? You tell me.. all we do is try to help.

For 'most of us' (and I quote 'most of us') cheerleading isn't about us - it is about being there for our team win or lose. Telling them good job and giving them hugs when they're down. Waiting on them after a 20 point loss, because they're 'our boys'. Decorating the school and giving them a team breakfast the day of the game - just to let them know that we care about them - win or lose. We are there for them no matter if they lose 1 game or every game. We ALWAYS support them because that is our job.
Sometimes I feel like I coach just as much as the coaches do. Screaming 'Offense and Defense'. We scream at the ref's just like the people from the crowd do, we start cheers with basketball jargon in them. We know A LOT about what we cheer for because we've cheered for it just as long as the boys have played ball.

It is A LOT more than what most of you all think it is.
It's a lot about being there for 'our boys, our team' - even when they aren't there for us in return when we go compete for districts or nationals.

If Cheerleading is not important then why does most of the players, coachs, and players parents get upset when the Cheerleaders dont attend every game. I would like to see some of you guys flip down the floor to every letter spelled of the mascot's name and hear the crowd spell with the flips...!!! Ask a gymnastics instructor how important Cheerleading is....it pays good money to the instructors. I agree it would be very nice to see the boys attending the districts or nationals and repay the cheers to our Cheerleaders....:Cheerlead :bounce:
My personal opinion is that while cheerleaders aren't "needed"; they make the game more enjoyable for all involved. Several friends of mine are cheerleaders or former cheerleaders and I know they work their tails off to learn routines that get the crowds involved. Typically Lee Co. fans haveno problems being heard, but there are times, like say during a time out when the cheerleaders get the fans involved AND help bring momentum back to their teams.
Yes, they help with Title 9.
I see a big difference in the crowds and in the players when they are there and when they aren't. I haven't really seen LC cheerleaders much this year, at boys or girls games. Don't know whats going on there. But they definitely make a difference. And as for respect, they've got mine. All the wear and tear on their joints from hours and hours of tumbling...I know its not easy.
"Nascar99" Wrote:If Cheerleading is not important then why does most of the players, coachs, and players parents get upset when the Cheerleaders dont attend every game.

Good Point
Because the school and parents pay for the chearleaders stuff. Thats why they get upset
i love me some cheerleaders....if the team is down by 20 in 4th quarter the fans are usually out of the game but the cheerleaders are there to cheer them on through the worst and best....and they usually look good at where there doin also .....after watching couple hours of sweaty guys on the court its a relief to look at some cheer leaders do there thing lol ....but yes cheerleaders and fans are needed combined they make and awesome pep section period
"Raider Time" Wrote:Because the school and parents pay for the chearleaders stuff. Thats why they get upset

Prestonsburg does not pay for anything done by the cheerleaders. The parents and girls do it all!
"catsfan072" Wrote:Prestonsburg does not pay for anything done by the cheerleaders. The parents and girls do it all!

EXACTLY! And it's a GOOD amount of money, EACH YEAR, also!!
cheerleaders are not completly needed... but i do think it helps the boys to see sum good lookin females on the side of the court lmao, but i think they r way outdone by sum fans
"HomeGrown" Wrote:Yes, they help with Title 9.

I didn't think that Title 9 applied to cheerlading. They aren't KHSAA governed afterall.
needed
Cheerleaders are needed...and yes title 9 does apply to us...title 9 basicly says we have to cheer girls and boys games and thats fine bc we will support OUR raiders no matter what....idk about other places but at SF the fans love to see us there...espically girls games and long away games...we have had many ppl thank us for supporting them!!..and even thou the school does support the cheerleaders...we work for our money too!! lol...the cheerleaders dont have a boosters like in FB and BB! lol....

Thanks for sticking by us raiders!! GO SF!!
I think Title 9 actually says if you have cheerleaders for the boys team you have to have cheerleaders for the girls team. Title 9 applies to sports- unfortunately KHSAA does not recognize cheerleading as a sport. However - I have to agree with some of the other posters on here- cheerleaders are some of the best athletes out there. Its a shame they don't get more support. The cost parents are out for these cheerleaders is astronomical. If parents were paying out of pocket expenses like that for football, baseball and basketball players- I wonder how many would be playing.
First of all, if the cheerleaders are doing their job which is motivating the crowd, providing support for the boys, and most of all making the game a little more exciting to watch then YES most definately cheerleaders are needed. On the other hand, there are some cheerleading squads that do not provide these things and are just out there to look pretty, in that case then no they're not needed, just in the way. We are out there because we want to be, not because anyone makes us. We enjoy what we do, and at Prestonsburg, get mush respect for it.
Yes, title 9 says you have to have equal representation for both teams, or the school will get fined a certain amount of money
Depends on the cheerleaders.
Nice post, wildcat.
at lawrence county, i'd say we have one of those squads that are just out there to look pretty. They've only cheered 1 home boys game this year. Kind of sad i think, that they don't contribute like they used to.
yes they can add to the game and they work very hard
yes i believe cheerleaders are a big part of high school sports period...they get the crowd ready to go by showing off their school spirit....i thank all the cheerleaders nationwide for their support for our high school athletes..!!
Ya they are a big part of the game when the crowd wants to be supportive. You can tell when they are not present.
"THUNDERCHILD" Wrote:Ya they are a big part of the game when the crowd wants to be supportive. You can tell when they are not present.

That's a major "when", thunderchild. I have been to games that are so exciting and the fans are sitting there like lumps on logs...and the cheerleaders are screaming their hearts out. I hate a dead crowd. If you are going to go to a game go to cheer! Not to be seen by the who's who crowd.:Cheerlead
I love cheerleaders!, Gives me something to watch in a blow-out, or truthfuly, whenever I feel like it!...lol
What about the cheerleaders who only cheer the minimum amout of games they have to in order to attend cheerleader competitions. I think that isnt right. Games should come first then competitions second. If they are really there for there school spirit, then they shouldnt have a problem with it.
they are a joke just like a band
I think a band and cheerleaders give a team a boost. I love schools who have a band it really helps get the crowd into it.
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:What about the cheerleaders who only cheer the minimum amout of games they have to in order to attend cheerleader competitions. I think that isnt right. Games should come first then competitions second. If they are really there for there school spirit, then they shouldnt have a problem with it.

agreed most definitely!