Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tubby Smith is done at Minnesota
Mike Wilbon said it best yesterday..."who does Minnesota think they are; before Tubby came they were losers"...

Tubby took a basketball program from the dumps to national rankings....this year alone they beat the #1 team, made it to the NCAA tourney and even won a game.

IMO, Tubby's downfall was his recruiting. I honestly think that he just didn't want to sacrifice time with his family to recruit 24 hours a day.

I feel that if Tubby had the same talent Cal had this year, no way they are playing in the NIT.
Tubby is a good coach, as good as Cal, just can't recruit as well. This team had a major collapse the second half of the season and played like dogs on several occasions. Too bad for him. He is as non-shady as Cal is shady. He'll land somewhere. One of the good guys in NCAA.
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Where you at, FBALL?

I highly doubt Minnesota finds a better coach than Tubby Smith. Minnesota will be return to their garbage days.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
I mean I know he has some rough times in the tourney..
But they where what? a 12 seed?

Pay Tubby Smith for his swag.
Tubby #1 Woooooooooooooooo

Of course, he has no job now, but still number one in the hearts of 10, maybe 20 UK fans....
ekff Wrote:LOL Have I ever said I was a Roy Williams fan.... Notre Dame does pretty well at all sports.... I don't really follow them in college basketball... Because I am a basketball coach myself, in College Basketball I just enjoy all the great coaches, not that I cheer for teams just that I enjoy studying the game...

P.S. Come back when UK football wins 6 games..

Roy Williams = JOKE:biglmao:

Roy Williams has 7 final fours and 2 titles.

Thats 2 more National titles then your fighting Irish have in the past 20 years.

As for everyone thinking tubby is the best thing since sliced bread i don't get it. College basketball is about recruiting. Then coaching. The NBA is about Drafting, Then Coaching. Alabama football is about Recruiting, Then Coaching.

Tubby Won a National Title with very very little help from himself. They was not his players. Recruits. Any Such. We seen the achievements he had since then. I loved when players stayed 3-4 years. Bogans Fitch Hayes. But they did not win a title. That is what its all about.

As for Minnesota firing him? Maybe they having something in the works.
^
Theyll never understand cat.
Tubby is the end all be all for some, and lets just be very glad hes no longer around to further hurt UK.
Tubby rules!!!!!!!!!
Who would of thunk it
Tubby won. And he won with class and character. Ill take that any day.

That's not a knock on Calipari either. He has been spectacular and there is no end in sight to what he can accomplish. But the Hate for Tubby is something that started when he first got here. It was there through national championships and final fours.

The ball line defense or the conservative offense were not Pitino and they are not Calipari. But they were effective. There was a whole lot to like about Tubby.
FBALL Wrote:Tubby won. And he won with class and character. Ill take that any day.

That's not a knock on Calipari either. He has been spectacular and there is no end in sight to what he can accomplish. But the Hate for Tubby is something that started when he first got here. It was there through national championships and final fours.

The ball line defense or the conservative offense were not Pitino and they are not Calipari. But they were effective. There was a whole lot to like about Tubby.

We are right back to where we was on the Football hire, you want Class and Character, and I want to win CHAMPIONSHIPS.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Roy Williams has 7 final fours and 2 titles.

Thats 2 more National titles then your fighting Irish have in the past 20 years.

As for everyone thinking tubby is the best thing since sliced bread i don't get it. College basketball is about recruiting. Then coaching. The NBA is about Drafting, Then Coaching. Alabama football is about Recruiting, Then Coaching.

Tubby Won a National Title with very very little help from himself. They was not his players. Recruits. Any Such. We seen the achievements he had since then. I loved when players stayed 3-4 years. Bogans Fitch Hayes. But they did not win a title. That is what its all about.

As for Minnesota firing him? Maybe they having something in the works.

Your whole post is crazy...

1st - I never said Roy Williams was a "bad" coach, I just said I wasn't fan.

2nd - Never said Tubby was the "best" coach, just that he is a good coach.

3rd - Notre Dame has 11 National Championships in Football, I don't give a damn when they won them... Do u all care about Kentucky winning in the 50's? no u still count them... Get over it, UK Football will NEVER have a National Title... And I mean NEVER
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
insideinfo Wrote:We are right back to where we was on the Football hire, you want Class and Character, and I want to win CHAMPIONSHIPS.

God, Tubby won a Championship, get over it.... Tubby = 1, Cal = 1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ekff Wrote:God, Tubby won a Championship, get over it.... Tubby = 1, Cal = 1

How many recruits besides Sal did he have on this team.
insideinfo Wrote:How many recruits besides Sal did he have on this team.
Tubby coached his title winning players for the same amount of time that Cal coached most of his title winning team. One year. Were the freshmen players's high school coaches responsible for last year's title? Give it a rest.
ekff Wrote:Your whole post is crazy...

1st - I never said Roy Williams was a "bad" coach, I just said I wasn't fan.

2nd - Never said Tubby was the "best" coach, just that he is a good coach.

3rd - Notre Dame has 11 National Championships in Football, I don't give a damn when they won them... Do u all care about Kentucky winning in the 50's? no u still count them... Get over it, UK Football will NEVER have a National Title... And I mean NEVER

1. You said Roy Williams was a joke.

2. 1950. 1 of 5 national champions.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Tubby coached his title winning players for the same amount of time that Cal coached most of his title winning team. One year. Were the freshmen players's high school coaches responsible for last year's title? Give it a rest.

Your wrong again. Miller 3 years. Jones and Lamb 2 years. Much more than Tubby.

Tubby=fail after Pitino team. There is no if and or butts about it. The guy was a class act. Did wonders for the community. But he couldnt win with his own players.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Your wrong again. Miller 3 years. Jones and Lamb 2 years. Much more than Tubby.

Tubby=fail after Pitino team. There is no if and or butts about it. The guy was a class act. Did wonders for the community. But he couldnt win with his own players.

Finally someone with some sense.
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Your wrong again. Miller 3 years. Jones and Lamb 2 years. Much more than Tubby.

1998 was Tubby's team and his National Championship, Tubby also never lost in the 1st round of the NIT....
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

No, what's wrong is your reading skills. I never said that Calipari did not coach any of his players more than a year. Calipari relies on high school coaches to send him skilled players. You and many other Tubby bashers seem unable to admit the obvious fact that Calipari prefers recruiting to player development. That is what made him a horrible NBA coach.
ekff Wrote:1998 was Tubby's team and his National Championship, Tubby also never lost in the 1st round of the NIT....
If you combine the 68 NCAA tournament teams with the 32 teams in the NIT, Kentucky lost to a team ranked #100 in the post season. This season may have been the worst coaching job ever turned in by a UK coach - or maybe just the worst since Rupp took over the program. Think about this, Kentucky shot 52.5 percent and lost to Robert Morris.
Tubby loosing 6 or so transfers in past 3 years didn't help him. can't have that many leaving, there's a problem with him somewhere. Even Rondo was unhappy with him at Ky, and rightfully so, Tubby held him back big time.

Had a bad year at Ky, nobody is happy nor should be. I was ready for the season to be over prior to the nit. If Ky could have, should have turned down the nit. Was just a disappointing year. Yea Cal is to blame, but the players are also for being wussys. No player wanted to be a leader, all players were afraid of contact. Gotta have those Millers, Lambs and Jones every year. Another banner next year, all be ok again in the basketball universe.

Mix1...
Hoot Gibson Wrote:No, what's wrong is your reading skills. I never said that Calipari did not coach any of his players more than a year. Calipari relies on high school coaches to send him skilled players. You and many other Tubby bashers seem unable to admit the obvious fact that Calipari prefers recruiting to player development. That is what made him a horrible NBA coach.

He was a horrible coach in the NBA because u have to have good players. He did not have good players.

YOu said that Tubby coached his team just as much as Cal coached his. And thats incorrect.
And actually he wasn't a "horrible" NBA coach, won 43 games his 2nd year, was fired after a 3-17 start his 3rd year after bad bad trades.

Everyone can go back and forth here. It's all about what have you done for me lately in major college ball, and Cal has done 100 things more at Ky than tubby ever did, could, will, ever. And all positive at that. Tubby is a nice guy, but where has being nice gotten him over the past 6-8 years? With Tubby, for every Keith Bogans, there's 2 Marvin Stones with his recruiting.

Mix1...
Mix1 Wrote:And actually he wasn't a "horrible" NBA coach, won 43 games his 2nd year, was fired after a 3-17 start his 3rd year after bad bad trades.

Everyone can go back and forth here. It's all about what have you done for me lately in major college ball, and Cal has done 100 things more at Ky than tubby ever did, could, will, ever. And all positive at that. Tubby is a nice guy, but where has being nice gotten him over the past 6-8 years? With Tubby, for every Keith Bogans, there's 2 Marvin Stones with his recruiting.

Mix1...
There is much more parity in the NBA than there is at the college level. No healthy NBA franchise will be knocking on Calipari's door because he has a record of losing when he does not have superior talent. In his prime, which IMO is far behind him, Pitino showed that he could win many games over teams having superior athletes.

I am no Pitino fan, but nobody can dispute that he got as much out of his players while he was at UK as anybody ever has. If Calipari had inherited the mess that Pitino did, with the scholarship restrictions he had, he would have been a different kind of one-and-done coach.

A 3-17 record in the third year of coaching a team is about as bad as it gets. Better than Jerry Tarkanian fared in the NBA, but a horrible record nonetheless. How he manages to convince so many players that he is the fast track to the NBA mystifies me. He takes NBA prospects and passes them through to the NBA.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:There is much more parity in the NBA than there is at the college level. No healthy NBA franchise will be knocking on Calipari's door because he has a record of losing when he does not have superior talent. In his prime, which IMO is far behind him, Pitino showed that he could win many games over teams having superior athletes.

I am no Pitino fan, but nobody can dispute that he got as much out of his players while he was at UK as anybody ever has. If Calipari had inherited the mess that Pitino did, with the scholarship restrictions he had, he would have been a different kind of one-and-done coach.

A 3-17 record in the third year of coaching a team is about as bad as it gets. Better than Jerry Tarkanian fared in the NBA, but a horrible record nonetheless. How he manages to convince so many players that he is the fast track to the NBA mystifies me. He takes NBA prospects and passes them through to the NBA.

Doesnt everyone now? He just gets more.
insideinfo Wrote:We are right back to where we was on the Football hire, you want Class and Character, and I want to win CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Looks like we are right back to you being a dumbass. I want to win but I don't want to sell my soul to do it. That attitude led to that sports illustrated cover Kentucky's Shame.

Tubby has done nothing but win no matter where he has been.

Some of you hated him from day one much for the same reason you hated Phillips from day one. That's not hard to see.

Now Phillips had to be fired. He lost the program. I think Stopps was a great hire. Much better than Scumbag and so far the recruiting results and enthusiasm for the program show that.

It's a good thing character means nothing to you.
FBALL Wrote:Looks like we are right back to you being a dumbass. I want to win but I don't want to sell my soul to do it. That attitude led to that sports illustrated cover Kentucky's Shame.

Tubby has done nothing but win no matter where he has been.

Some of you hated him from day one much for the same reason you hated Phillips from day one. That's not hard to see.

Now Phillips had to be fired. He lost the program. I think Stopps was a great hire. Much better than Scumbag and so far the recruiting results and enthusiasm for the program show that.

It's a good thing character means nothing to you.

Are you serious? LOL. Come on man.

Character? Calipari has earned MILLIONS of dollars for charities and foundations. Is that not Character?
Wildcatk23 Wrote:Are you serious? LOL. Come on man.

Character? Calipari has earned MILLIONS of dollars for charities and foundations. Is that not Character?

I agree, that comment you mentioned, about as dumb as I've ever seen. Going to bed on that.

Mix1...
That's pathetic. Lets pull the race card.