Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Death Penalty and Abortion
Midee1 Wrote:Me personally I would rather the honest taxpayers not have to spend thousands of dollars housing and feeding someone like that.

New Jersey just banned the death penalty, after an extensive study proved that it doesn't save any money......

So let me ask YOU an honest question... is it worth killing an innocent person? ever? It has, and does happen. Would be willing to pull that lever?
Didn't someone do a study that suggested that taking a death penalty case through the appeals process to culmination in execution costs more money than imprisoning that same inmate for life (an average of forty years)?
thecavemaster Wrote:Didn't someone do a study that suggested that taking a death penalty case through the appeals process to culmination in execution costs more money than imprisoning that same inmate for life (an average of forty years)?

Honestly, I've saw studies showing it costs more as you say, and then sometimes that it costs the same. Either way, its not about money to me. Its about the preservation of life.
Of course, it's all different in Texas, where they are creating an express lane to the death chamber.
thecavemaster Wrote:Of course, it's all different in Texas, where they are creating an express lane to the death chamber.

Yes it is.
Can anyone tell me what the average time on Death Row is?
Looks to be about 12 years nationally.
I am 100% for the death penalty.
**Send me a pm if you have any questions or comments**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
thecavemaster Wrote:Of course, it's all different in Texas, where they are creating an express lane to the death chamber.

I just did some research, very quickly.. and I saw the average time on DR in Texas was 10.86 years.... according to a state website.

Nationally I found 147 months, or about 12 years. This is interesting. One of the two numbers doesn't seem right from what I've been told... and read.
Redneck Wrote:I believe in the death penalty. If someone kills another person in cold blood, NOT self-defense, they deserve to die. But then again life in prison with no chance of parole might as well be the death penalty because they have to live with that guilt in an 8x10 cell til the day they die. Let's just say I'm NOT against it IF they are proven guilty of cold blooded murder.

Abortion... I don't believe in it. If a woman is gonna let a man go without protection and she gets pregnant, she should have to live with the responsibility. If a woman is raped and gets pregnant then I see no problem with it.
Basically my stance exactly. But I never thought of it this way. Interesting that I'm for death in one instance while against it in the other.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ronald_reagan Wrote:New Jersey just banned the death penalty, after an extensive study proved that it doesn't save any money......

So let me ask YOU an honest question... is it worth killing an innocent person? ever? It has, and does happen. Would be willing to pull that lever?

If it were the case that I originally posted about I would not even have a second thought about it.

It is not worth killing an innocent person and I am sure that it has happened. But of those that are put to death what percentage have actually been innocent? I know that is a question that cannot actually be answered but if evidence proves beyond a shadow of a doubt their guilt I think they should be put to death.

Another honest question? If they didn't allow all of the appeals and such and executed them in a timely manner how could it not save the tax payers money?
ronald_reagan Wrote:I'm not hurt that some are executed.... perhaps thats a flaw (as i think it is)....

but i'd never advocate it, support it, or wish it... its god's role to judge man... not mans role to play god
God does judge man when he get to the gates. And if he was put to death by the judicial system then you can probably bet that the judgment won't be a good one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
If the don't allow appeals, the chances of executing the innocent go WAY up. Seems like I read in the OT a long time ago that the death penalty could be carried out but the facts had to be established by two eyewitnesses. Does anyone else remember anything like that?
Midee1 Wrote:If it were the case that I originally posted about I would not even have a second thought about it.

It is not worth killing an innocent person and I am sure that it has happened. But of those that are put to death what percentage have actually been innocent? I know that is a question that cannot actually be answered but if evidence proves beyond a shadow of a doubt their guilt I think they should be put to death.

Another honest question? If they didn't allow all of the appeals and such and executed them in a timely manner how could it not save the tax payers money?

well it would save money... but why wouldn't you want to give every reasonable opportunity for their innocence to be proven... instead of just 'offing' them immediately?
thecavemaster Wrote:If the don't allow appeals, the chances of executing the innocent go WAY up. Seems like I read in the OT a long time ago that the death penalty could be carried out but the facts had to be established by two eyewitnesses. Does anyone else remember anything like that?

I think its even repeated in the NT in regards to church discipline.
Beef Wrote:God does judge man when he get to the gates. And if he was put to death by the judicial system then you can probably bet that the judgment won't be a good one.

you think?

so he can't repent while in prison?

Even the pope forgave the converted man who shot him....
ronald_reagan Wrote:well it would save money... but why wouldn't you want to give every reasonable opportunity for their innocence to be proven... instead of just 'offing' them immediately?

I only agree with offing them if there was evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt such as video tape, many credible witnesses, confessions or things along those lines. If there was any doubt then they should be free to use their appeals to prove their claim. There are many out there on death row that brag about what they did like they are proud of it. Why not execute them and save both mine and your money?
Midee1 Wrote:I only agree with offing them if there was evidence beyond a shadow of a doubt such as video tape, many credible witnesses, confessions or things along those lines. If there was any doubt then they should be free to use their appeals to prove their claim. There are many out there on death row that brag about what they did like they are proud of it. Why not execute them and save both mine and your money?

I can see your point. I just happen to disagree with it being the role of the government to it.

I guess the next question I have, and typically get surprising responses on... Could you be the executioner?
ONLY if I could see myself as functioning as the "agent" of the State... "Nothing personal, there buddy, I'm just carrying out my duties." I think the dangerous thing would be to begin to like it, thinking it conveyed upon one's life some kind of somber "god" like significance.
thecavemaster Wrote:ONLY if I could see myself as functioning as the "agent" of the State... "Nothing personal, there buddy, I'm just carrying out my duties." I think the dangerous thing would be to begin to like it, thinking it conveyed upon one's life some kind of somber "god" like significance.

I just have a hard time beleiving that many that support it so strongly as some here do, would ever be willing to flip the switch themselves.

However, nothing surprises me anymore
People who can take life without grieving (Even when they think the death was necessary) have, IMO, racheted down their humanity a few notches). Determining who is "fit" to live and "deserving" to die is NO LIGHT MATTER.
ronald_reagan Wrote:you think?

so he can't repent while in prison?

Even the pope forgave the converted man who shot him....
Well, it seems to me like he has about 12 years to repent. I just have no respect for someone that can do such a horrible crime and believe that they should be punished harshly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Beef Wrote:Well, it seems to me like he has about 12 years to repent. I just have no respect for someone that can do such a horrible crime and believe that they should be punished harshly.

Spending 50 years in a cell for 23 hours a day, never to touch a single person you love again, dying alone.... I don't how you can say this isn't 'harsh'.

I no respect for them either. But that doesn't mean that I have to kill a defenseless human being who is a sinner just as I am.

In fact, if they repent in those 12 years... you'll be helping them out of the **** they're already in by sending them to heaven much faster...
ronald_reagan Wrote:I can see your point. I just happen to disagree with it being the role of the government to it.

I guess the next question I have, and typically get surprising responses on... Could you be the executioner?

If it was for the scenario I posted earlier then without a doubt in my mind yes.

If it was just for someone random I think I would have troubles flipping the switch unless I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt they were guilty.
Midee1 Wrote:If it was for the scenario I posted earlier then without a doubt in my mind yes.

If it was just for someone random I think I would have troubles flipping the switch unless I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt they were guilty.

Someone I find that hard to believe. It may be easy to say and think. But do... I surely hope it doesnt' come that easy to you.
ronald_reagan Wrote:Someone I find that hard to believe. It may be easy to say and think. But do... I surely hope it doesnt' come that easy to you.

If I witnessed this person murder my family in front of me then I will say that I would not have one bit of hesitation in throwing the switch. Other than that I can't say for sure whether I could or not for sure.
Midee1 Wrote:If I witnessed this person murder my family in front of me then I will say that I would not have one bit of hesitation in throwing the switch. Other than that I can't say for sure whether I could or not for sure.

Well, I'd take them out right then and there..... Smile

But once in custody, convicted, and sentenced to life WITHOUT parole... I don't see how its in anyone's best interest. Its not 'punishment' to end ones life....

Do you realize that drug trade can be a capital offense?
ronald_reagan Wrote:Well, I'd take them out right then and there..... Smile

But once in custody, convicted, and sentenced to life WITHOUT parole... I don't see how its in anyone's best interest. Its not 'punishment' to end ones life....

Do you realize that drug trade can be a capital offense?

No but why should they be able to live after committing that heinous of a crime and why should the tax payers have to provide food, shelter and medical care for the rest of their lives?

Yes I realized that and I say that the drug dealers should fry as well.
I used to ride with a police officer in Nashville. If he pulled a person over who got mad and said, "Hey, I pay your salary," he would give them a dime and write them a ticket. It is interesting to start figuring out share of tax dollars and portion allotted and where.
Midee1 Wrote:No but why should they be able to live after committing that heinous of a crime and why should the tax payers have to provide food, shelter and medical care for the rest of their lives?

Yes I realized that and I say that the drug dealers should fry as well.

Tells you how far apart we are. I'm for drug legalization. Smile

Thats very surprising that you feel that way. Besides Slick Willy bragging about it, you're the 2nd.. lol

I have no problem sustaining someone in prison who has been convicted with murder. do you have a problem with someone who has robbed a bank and kidnapped its workers and recieved 50 years?? What do you we with them? You pay for it through tax money as well... so they deserve it??? Or would you fry them? lol jk

There is an option however... a self sustaining island and no healthcare. Put them out in the ocean on an island.. Hire a crew to make sure they're not getting boats showing up to
pick them up... provide them with some shovels, some seeds, and tell them to have a nice life.