Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the ruling on holdbacks?
SEKYFAN Wrote:He won't turn 19 until after school starts his senior year. He looks like he could be 16 or 17, but I understand that he will turn 15 this fall.

Again, just doing the math there. If he is repeating the 8th grade (or I guess we should say he repeated the 7th grade last year?) he has 5 more years of school left before graduation.

If he does in fact turn 15 after August 1st of this year, he should be ok.

Again, I would like to ask what the actual reason was for letting him complete the 7th grade, attend school in (I would assume) 8th grade level classes for the entire year, and then be placed back into the 7th grade that he has successfully completed the year before 2 weeks before the end of last school year?

Does anyone on here know what that reason is?
SEKYFAN Wrote:It was 9 and 10 year old baseball all-stars. I had a kid in the league that year and the child who did not make the team was probably on the bubble along with 6-7 others, so I think they let the all-star coaches make the call on the last few picked for the team. It happens every year in every little league across the country, but the parents thought their was a personal vendetta against them and threatened to sue the local little league and also had some words with the coach. The same coach had a AAU basketball team that fall and decided not to ask the same kid to play, which I guess was the final straw and resulted in them moving 3 of their 4 kids to the Whitley school system. They are good people, they just can't let go of these incidents and HATE the Corbin school system because of it.
The kid has some talent and with the proper coaching will be an excellent high school QB.

We've seen him the last 2 years at the UK 7 on 7. We beat them the first time we played them last year and then lost to them in the playoff round. Didn't get to play against them this year.

I agree that he is definitely a very good QB. Very big kid and looks to be very stong.
FF40212 Wrote:Again, just doing the math there. If he is repeating the 8th grade (or I guess we should say he repeated the 7th grade last year?) he has 5 more years of school left before graduation.

If he does in fact turn 15 after August 1st of this year, he should be ok.

Again, I would like to ask what the actual reason was for letting him complete the 7th grade, attend school in (I would assume) 8th grade level classes for the entire year, and then be placed back into the 7th grade that he has successfully completed the year before 2 weeks before the end of last school year?

Does anyone on here know what that reason is?

I believe one of the big reasons behind this was the time frame. The decision to hold him back was later in his eighth grade year. So one of the only ways to bypass all the different rules is just to have everything he completed this year void and place him back in the 7th grade so he can be promoted to the 8th grade again.
I understand the logisitics of what happened.

I'm asking what was the ACTUAL REASON for doing it?

At least one fellow is on here railing on Corbin folks for even questioning it, using their rivalry with them as the basis for his argument. I'm just asking a common sense question here without any of the other details? Its been said that the boy was successful accademically last year as an 8th grader, had completed the 7th grade successfully the year before, Whitley has great facilities, etc. - all of these seemingly perfectly good reasons NOT to have this a question.

So, what made holding the kid back necessary?
FF40212 Wrote:I understand the logisitics of what happened.

At least one fellow is on here railing on Corbin folks for even questioning it, using their rivalry with them as the basis for his argument. I'm just asking a common sense question here without any of the other details? Its been said that the boy was successful accademically last year as an 8th grader, had completed the 7th grade successfully the year before, Whitley has great facilities, etc. - all of these seemingly perfectly good reasons NOT to have this a question.

Sorry i guess i didn't understand your question. The only person that can answer your question is the Father and Coaches at Whitley Co., and I'm sure neither of them are going to give you an answer. I've simply asked what the reasoning was at least 4-5 times and it always comes back as personal attacks or changing of the subject.
goBIGblue82 Wrote:Sorry i guess i didn't understand your question. The only person that can answer your question is the Father and Coaches at Whitley Co., and I'm sure neither of them are going to give you an answer. I've simply asked what the reasoning was at least 4-5 times and it always comes back as personal attacks or changing of the subject.

If they had a legit reason, it would be pretty easy to give one just to stop your questioniong. Tells me the answer may not be all that legit...
Parents can hold kids back for whatever reason they feel is necessary
FF40212 Wrote:I understand the logisitics of what happened.

Whitley's QB from last year is returning, so he would not be able to start this season on the varsity is one reason that I have heard. The other reason that I was told had to do with wanting to beat Corbin out of the middle school playoffs this year. Whatever the reason is really none of my business and the parents have the right to do as they see fit. I just have a hard time with the school system sending someone back a grade after they have successfully completed the grade with flying colors, which is totally different than allowing someone to stay back. This is not the first time Whitley has allowed this either.
FF40212 Wrote:Not so fast my fine feathered friend, if he is 14 now and turns 15 before next August 1st that will make him 19 before August 1st of 2014 which would make him 19 years old and 100% INELIGIBLE according to the KHSAA.

ff40212;805418, YOU ARE OUT OF LINE!
1. I'm not fast.
2. Chickens and turkeys have feathers and I'm not neither!
3. And our friendship has not been established yet. So, don't call me your fine feathered friend.
You seem to be pretty excited about your post. From reading this, I would have thought you just won the lottery. Your negative attitude has really shown in this post. Would you be thrilled if this were the truth and this kid was ineligible? We in Whitley County don't worry about Spencer County; whatever you can do legally to improve your program is fine with us. Mr. FF, you are 100% WRONG on your post and this fairy tale about Whiltey's kids returning to the 7th grade for the second time is not true! Again, you are 100% WRONG [B]! If you don't have the facts, don't post rumors. Mr. FF, is this kid in Whitley the only hold back in the state? And why are you so concerned? The school system or their employees legally can't give out confidential information on students. Only the parents and administrators have this information. No matter why this kid was held back in the 8th grade, it's legal and should be of no concern to anyone. " So, get over it". GOOD LUCK W.C.M.S.!
Stardust Wrote:If they had a legit reason, it would be pretty easy to give one just to stop your questioniong. Tells me the answer may not be all that legit...

Looking at your spelling maybe another year in 7th grade would have done wonders for you! "questioniong".
Past the feather and friend commits (which I think it is an Indian reference) what is incorrect about his statement? If you turn 19 before Aug 1st you can not play.

Also what part of stardust's post is spelled incorrectly?
olballcoach Wrote:REALLY that's your answer to what we are teaching kids. You have no augment but to attack my grammar, nicely played. By the way it is, re-freshen, hold-backs, and retainment, maybe you need to try spell check. No I am not a teacher, but I am one of those former players that was told how great they were from an early age, held back to get better. So you can get off your high horse and stop attacking everyone on here to justify actions. Yes we do have grade school sports and if you fail you do not play the following year. I didn't realize that 17 was to young to graduate high school, I am sorry for not realizing that. So what should we do to stop this from happening? I'm sure there are hundreds of kids out there we must save from graduating at 17. At least use the some kids are not mature enough to go onto high school yet, or the some kids develop later than others and will get discouraged from playing if they move to high school team. If you would use these I could get on board with your argument, but, the your grammar is notorious and 17 is to young to graduate that's weak. Nice use of the word notorious though.

augment your spell checker is not working
barrel Wrote:Past the feather and friend commits (which I think it is an Indian reference) what is incorrect about his statement? If you turn 19 before Aug 1st you can not play. In post 122 he refered to me as cowardly, the kid has a September birthdate

Also what part of stardust's post is spelled incorrectly?

look at the post again " " it should be easy to see
cherokee Wrote:look at the post again " " it should be easy to see

Which " " post are you refering to? Since I was looking for a better understanding on what was incorrect on 2 different quoted posts I am not sure which part of either is incorrect. That is why I asked about both.

Ok I found the cowardly commit on post 56. I was a little confused due to the post 122 being placed into my quote. Though that does not change that his " " statement from being true.
The bottom line is that kids being held back in the same grade has been happening for a long time in school systems across the commonwealth. It was happening 15 years ago when I was in school and it happens today. I have coached grade school, middle school, and high school sports for the past 7 years and I am confident that it has happened every year in the school system that I am in. Sometimes it is done because the student athlete needs another year to mature academically or socially before they enter high school and then sometimes it is done because it is thought that another year of maturity when the kid is a senior could help them get a scholarship to play a sport. I personally do not see a problem with this in the 8th grade if the parents, kid, and school system are in agreement. The cases that I have seen that have not worked out well have been those were kids stay back in the 6th grade and do not go on to the middle school. Regardless what the argument here is, in a public school system a parent has the right too keep their child in the same grade again for whatever reason they wish and this has been going on and will continue to go on.
cherokee Wrote:ff40212;805418, YOU ARE OUT OF LINE!
1. I'm not fast.
2. Chickens and turkeys have feathers and I'm not neither!
3. And our friendship has not been established yet. So, don't call me your fine feathered friend.
You seem to be pretty excited about your post. From reading this, I would have thought you just won the lottery. Your negative attitude has really shown in this post. Would you be thrilled if this were the truth and this kid was ineligible? We in Whitley County don't worry about Spencer County; whatever you can do legally to improve your program is fine with us. Mr. FF, you are 100% WRONG on your post and this fairy tale about Whiltey's kids returning to the 7th grade for the second time is not true! Again, you are 100% WRONG [B]! If you don't have the facts, don't post rumors. Mr. FF, is this kid in Whitley the only hold back in the state? And why are you so concerned? The school system or their employees legally can't give out confidential information on students. Only the parents and administrators have this information. No matter why this kid was held back in the 8th grade, it's legal and should be of no concern to anyone. " So, get over it". GOOD LUCK W.C.M.S.!

You got me Cherokee. You really do. I'm sorry for going out on a limb and trying to use a little humor there. I didn't realize your feathers (no pun intended) would get that ruffled..... I'm sorry. There you have it.

However, I guess even though Whitley is a long ways away from me, could the fact that we played WCMS twice in the UK 7 on 7s last year give me a reason to ask that question? No, WCMS isn't in my conference, but what if they make it to the state playoffs through the KYMSFA and I have to play your 8th grade team with this kid as the QB for the second year in a row? Could it be of concern to me then?
FF40212 Wrote:You got me Cherokee. You really do. I'm sorry for going out on a limb and trying to use a little humor there. I didn't realize your feathers (no pun intended) would get that ruffled..... I'm sorry. There you have it.

However, I guess even though Whitley is a long ways away from me, could the fact that we played WCMS twice in the UK 7 on 7s last year give me a reason to ask that question? No, WCMS isn't in my conference, but what if they make it to the state playoffs through the KYMSFA and I have to play your 8th grade team with this kid as the QB for the second year in a row? Could it be of concern to me then?

You have no worrries FFabout this Whitley team knocking any contender out of the play offs. They have changed their offense to a Double Wing T. Whitley played Bell County last night and this kid only only had 5 total passing attempts; 3 on the 3rd down and long, and 1 in the closing seconds of the game. Whitley did not even give him any attempts on running the ball even when they were down inside Bell's 10 yard line which was several times. Whitley has taken this offensive weapon and disarmed him. Defensively he was a monster, he had maybe 15 to 20 tackels and Bell got their first score with 43 seconds left in the game after this kid went out with leg cramps. :please:
Who really cares? He is a good middle school QB which means nothing about how good he will be in High School. I have been around a long time, and have seen many middle school superstars be just average or worse once the other kids grow up and catch or pass them in high school
bearhunter Wrote:Who really cares? He is a good middle school QB which means nothing about how good he will be in High School. I have been around a long time, and have seen many middle school superstars be just average or worse once the other kids grow up and catch or pass them in high school

Sorry but we are not talking about the future bearhunter, could you jerk out that crystal ball and get me some #'s for the lottery tonight. Bearhunter you must agree on his ability right now calling him a good qb and a middle school superstar so come on confess you really do care, enough to get enrolled on this web site.
I do not care about middle school holdbacks. This has nothing to do with what they do in high school is all that I am saying. He is a really good middle school QB. I would not say great because I have seen many better than him at that age, his uncle for 1. I will qualify this though by saying I have only seen him play 3 times. I have known the kid him since he was probably 7 or 8 and he seems to be a great kid. My original post really had nothing to do with him. It is just funny that some get on here and whine about a kid staying back in middle school. If his parents think that is what his best for him or any other kid for that matter, they should do it.
bearhunter Wrote:I do not care about middle school holdbacks. This has nothing to do with what they do in high school is all that I am saying. He is a really good middle school QB. I would not say great because I have seen many better than him at that age, his uncle for 1. I will qualify this though by saying I have only seen him play 3 times. I have known the kid him since he was probably 7 or 8 and he seems to be a great kid. My original post really had nothing to do with him. It is just funny that some get on here and whine about a kid staying back in middle school. If his parents think that is what his best for him or any other kid for that matter, they should do it.

I agree Bearhunter, but I never saw his uncle play he must have been pretty good. I was retained in the 8th grade and it was the best thing, even though I did not think so at the time. I look forward to talking with you this football season, I guess you know by now I'm a Whitley County fan but support all Mnt teams. The Cherokee wishes you a nice day my friend
I am a mountain football fan also. Best of luck this year. I hear you have a good high school team again.