Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is 75 points running the score up?
zaga_fan Wrote:Running the score up is an imaginary concept thought up by teams that can't compete!
or play defense
I think that if you are the one that is complaining about running up the score then you are more than likely on the losing end, but not in this case. It's the jealous ppl of the other area schools that enjoyed beating us to death in our "down years" and now that we are back to where we once were, everyone is picking and pointing fingers at everything we do. I think I read somewhere in another post where it said something like this.... "It's my job to score and it's your job to stop me. I did my job better than you." Just because a coach prepares his team better than another coach does not mean that he has class. It means he is a better coach!! :Thumbs: :1:
zaga_fan Wrote:Most teams around don't even have anyone that can kick extra points.
So going for 2 in High School football is not a big deal and it isn't a sign that someone is running the score up.

When you're up by as much as 60+, dont you think that that's a good time to work on extra point kicks?
Below Zero Wrote:When you're up by as much as 60+, dont you think that that's a good time to work on extra point kicks?
LC did kick extra points in this game. However, I think in the SV blow out against KC they went for two.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
Here's my take, from a longtime Shelby Valley supporter...

No, I don't think scoring 75 points is classless. The object of the game is for one team to score on offense, and try to stop the other team while on defense. That's it. LC was just doing what they're supposed to do.

I will say, though, that a score like this shows that maybe this game shouldn't have been played in the first place. Shelby Valley was obviously not ready to play a team as talented as Lawrence this year, so why was the game even on the schedule? Either the SV folks overestimated how good their team would be this year, or the LC people underestimated theirs, or both. Bottom line is I don't think either team gets better from a 60-point blowout. SV won't get better as a team from taking a beating like this, nor will they get better from giving a similar beating to a team like KCC. An effort should be made to schedule other teams that are around the same level talent-wise, at least for non-district foes. Games that are competitive between two evenly matched teams would be ideal for working on late-game pressure situations, something that just can't be replicated in a blowout.

Now, some are complaining about starters being left in too long, and whether it happened or not, I don't care. I still wouldn't say it is classless to leave starters in after the score has gotten out of hand. But it is kinda stupid. For one, by leaving a starter in long after the game is decided runs the risk of injury, which could completely torpedo a team's season. And two, leaving starters in deprives the backups and younger players a chance to see game action that they might not get otherwise. So, while leaving starters in too long doesn't show a lack of class, it does show a lack of sense. But that said, when backups are in the game, I would still run the same kind of plays as before. No reason to make the young ones run a dive play every time, let them see what they can do too.

So bottom line, for anyone complaining, give it a rest and move on.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IMO, yes.
We (the bulldogs) played a team in 08 and the entire starting line changed into their street cloths at half time and watched the J.V. play us (the second half) from the bleachers...I just assumed they beat us 100 to nothing then to have disrespected us like that! That is something that will stay with us forever!!!
Bulldog 17 Wrote:We (the bulldogs) played a team in 08 and the entire starting line changed into their street cloths at half time and watched the J.V. play us (the second half) from the bleachers...I just assumed they beat us 100 to nothing then to have disrespected us like that! That is something that will stay with us forever!!!
I think that was very low and wasn't going to bring it up. Actually surprised it took this long. However, I think we need to remember it and just move on.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
More Cowbell Wrote:Here's my take, from a longtime Shelby Valley supporter...

No, I don't think scoring 75 points is classless. The object of the game is for one team to score on offense, and try to stop the other team while on defense. That's it. LC was just doing what they're supposed to do.

I will say, though, that a score like this shows that maybe this game shouldn't have been played in the first place. Shelby Valley was obviously not ready to play a team as talented as Lawrence this year, so why was the game even on the schedule? Either the SV folks overestimated how good their team would be this year, or the LC people underestimated theirs, or both. Bottom line is I don't think either team gets better from a 60-point blowout. SV won't get better as a team from taking a beating like this, nor will they get better from giving a similar beating to a team like KCC. An effort should be made to schedule other teams that are around the same level talent-wise, at least for non-district foes. Games that are competitive between two evenly matched teams would be ideal for working on late-game pressure situations, something that just can't be replicated in a blowout.

Now, some are complaining about starters being left in too long, and whether it happened or not, I don't care. I still wouldn't say it is classless to leave starters in after the score has gotten out of hand. But it is kinda stupid. For one, by leaving a starter in long after the game is decided runs the risk of injury, which could completely torpedo a team's season. And two, leaving starters in deprives the backups and younger players a chance to see game action that they might not get otherwise. So, while leaving starters in too long doesn't show a lack of class, it does show a lack of sense. But that said, when backups are in the game, I would still run the same kind of plays as before. No reason to make the young ones run a dive play every time, let them see what they can do too.

So bottom line, for anyone complaining, give it a rest and move on.
Great post. However, these two teams could match up next year in the playoffs so it wasn't like a 6a playing a 2a or anything. Yes LC is 4a even though it was by mistake only due to LCs reporting they should actually have been a 3a which is where both will be next year.
My gosh guys by reading some of these posts you would think we were talkin about a youth league game or something! I mean come on, it's football take your beatings like a man.Some of you need to put on you big boy panties! My cheerleaders dont cry as much!
It was is the starter stay in the game. I think when they think the game is over, then put the JV in. If they score a few TD. then put the FR team in.