Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland 2024
For the first time in a long time the Rams come into a season with a question mark at the QB position. In no particular order, Waller, Ison, McKee, and transfer Ayden Cooper from Lewis Co, are all in the mix. What’s everyone’s thoughts on that race?
(04-24-2024, 04:18 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: For the first time in a long time the Rams come into a season with a question mark at the QB position. In no particular order, Waller, Ison, McKee, and transfer Ayden Cooper from Lewis Co, are all in the mix. What’s everyone’s thoughts on that race?

We've all heard from every coach throughout history that going into the season all positions are there for the taking. But....we all knew that wasn't exactly true.  In this case I think it's a reality that the QB position is up for grabs. I just hope we have a clear standout and don't spend a lot of energy saying what if....It's just hard for a QB to play at a high level if every time things don't go the way we think it should the chatter starts. With the front end of the schedule being what it is I hope the fan base can hold their tongue's, show some maturity, and let the season and the "chosen one" have a chance.  Now then, who will the "chosen one" be?  As usual, I don't have a clue.
(04-25-2024, 06:22 PM)i82much Wrote:
(04-24-2024, 04:18 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: For the first time in a long time the Rams come into a season with a question mark at the QB position. In no particular order, Waller, Ison, McKee, and transfer Ayden Cooper from Lewis Co, are all in the mix. What’s everyone’s thoughts on that race?

We've all heard from every coach throughout history that going into the season all positions are there for the taking. But....we all knew that wasn't exactly true.  In this case I think it's a reality that the QB position is up for grabs. I just hope we have a clear standout and don't spend a lot of energy saying what if....It's just hard for a QB to play at a high level if every time things don't go the way we think it should the chatter starts. With the front end of the schedule being what it is I hope the fan base can hold their tongue's, show some maturity, and let the season and the "chosen one" have a chance.  Now then, who will the "chosen one" be?  As usual, I don't have a clue.
This is one of those years where a strong running game needs to be developed so the pressure isn’t on the quarterback to carry the team.  Imo a soph or JR needs to be placed in this role so they can be developed for multiple seasons rather than using a senior with limited experience who could be more valuable in another spot.
Bump
Where’s my other Ram fans at? Kind of a business as usual going on over at the field. Kids are working hard. Kind of nice for the chatter to be a little quieter tbh. Gets bothersome year in and out for everyone to be talking about it being “the year”. This year the expectations aren’t nearly as high, but for me, the expectations stay the same. Get to the semis and a shot to play at Kroger. 1A isn’t top heavy enough, imo for it to be any less for Raceland. A state title isn’t in the cards this year, imo. Baring a freak thing and Pikeville takes an upset defeat, it’s not in the cards for anyone else realistically. I kind of think Raceland and Sayre flip spots from a year ago…imo.

Good news is, Raceland has some legit speed this year that they haven’t had in a long time. Have some lazer times that have impressed me quite a bit. Rowsey is closing in on 4.4 speed, Rister at lazer 4.5s. And the most impressive is Landon Stiltner who just continues to turn heads at the combines. He ran a 4.38 at UK. The kid has always been strong, fast, and atheletic, but he has worked his ass off this off-season and I expect him to do big things the next 3 years. He is just a sophomore and already at 200lbs of muscle. Idk if Raceland has had a RB with that type of speed. Ever.

QB and OL are huge question marks in terms of personel coming in to replace. But Elkins, Hunt, Litteral, Crum, and Bowden are the front runners for the starting OL imo. I think Ison gets the knod the next two years at QB.

There’s big holes to fill. But for those that anticipate “a slide back down the hill” are still eating sour grapes and suffer from wishful thinking disorder. Raceland will still be a top 3/4 team in the state by November.
Holy cow…..4.38 is unreal for an upcoming Soph.
Also Scotty, I agree Raceland will be right in the thick of things come late November.
The last few years that’s exactly what Raceland has been missing, having those 1 or 2 kids that could literally take it to the house any play. If Raceland gets a few of those type kids the next few years, that elusive state title may find its way to Ramland. Pikeville will obviously still be a hurdle but after this year, Pikeville will still have loads of talent, but it will be lots of new faces on both sides of the ball. So who knows how that will pan out but I foresee many more big battles between those two programs. Good luck to the Rams this year. Tons of respect for that program from this fella.
Same to Pikeville from me they are the gold standard now.
I hope Raceland enjoys the 3 players they plucked from Lewis County. I just learned of the 3rd so there may be more at this point, idk. Something fishy is going on over there and if you don’t think anybody from the coaching staff or school talked to these kids and their parents before they enrolled at Raceland then I have some beach front property in Vanceburg to sell you. Win and lose with your own kids. Could have been a special year for Lewis Co football according to our standards and our two best skill players and best OL decide to drive 45 minutes east for school and practice every day. Dirty. When the hammer comes down on Raceland it’s gonna make Fairview of the early 2010’s look like nothing was happening.
Let me just say this…if Raceland was going to go poach kids and risk “the hammer being dropped” as you said, Lewis County isn’t likely the place they would go looking. Nothing against these 3 kids, but I don’t see them being huge impact players that will turn heads. They are all solid football players, but imo, are typical 1A football players. And like I said it’s not a knock on the kids, 1A schools across the state have rosters full of these types of kids. Salmons calls the “program guys”, they are blue collar and work hard. . Rister has good speed, the lineman has huge size, and Cooper has experience as a starting QB. But Rister is the only one I see having a big impact and it’s likely in the return game. I think Cooper will be used as a DB or WR. I welcome them with open arms though, if a kid wants to come to Raceland and have the character these boys seem to have….they don’t have to be superstars to be welcomed. Just gotta want to be here.

That’s another thing that gets under my skin. If a kid leaves Raceland to go learn and play somewhere else, more power to them. If a kid isn’t happy somewhere or their parents feel like there’s a better situation somewhere, why is it always the new school that’s done something wrong? Raceland lost two middle school starters from the basketball team to Russell. Guess what? It’s what the families felt like was best for the kids. So be it. People who get on here and gripe about transfers in the portal world we live in are blind to reality in this day and age. It wasn’t like it was back in the day where we all played for one school for 12 years.

And comparing what went on at Fairview….the Eagles didn’t get in trouble for “plucking kids”. They got in trouble for a player being ineligible and the AD didn’t report it and let the kid keep playing. I am a lifelong Ram and it’s amazing to me how this “little school with all it’s problems” and “the school that plucks kids from all the area schools” and most importantly, “the school that has never won a state title” lives rent free in peoples head.
I try to understand the transfer situation from both sides. I can understand the side where kids leave a program to go elsewhere. I don’t understand taking that attitude where the school is doing something wrong for letting kids transfer in. It’s easy to get on a site and say silly stuff and the sad thing is most people that read it will believe it. The truth is Raceland doesn’t go after kids. If we did we would get much much better players. The funny thing is ….people tend to gang up on a school in a particular area and jump on the cry me a river wagon. Boyd County just loaded up a baseball team full of transfers but nobody said a word. Drive by Raceland and look at the facilities and tell me you don’t want your kid playing there. Look at their success in sports….why wouldn’t a kid wanna play there? Get better or get left behind. That’s where we’re at in sports.If a kid can play football why would they stay at LC ? A few years back LC had a good run in basketball…..if a hand full of kids wanted to transfer in back then would LC say no?? No they wouldn’t have. But like I said….its fun to get on here and soap box it up. Hell….thats what makes tvis site good.
And fwiw…I know that Cooper and Rister both went to other schools to look around. Which is crazy to me. That kids are doing that now days.
(06-15-2024, 06:27 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: And fwiw…I know that Cooper and Rister both went to other schools to look around. Which is crazy to me. That kids are doing that now days.

Time for my annual reminder that the kids cant do any of this by themselves, a parent has to sign off.
Raceland getting a new field house?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Yes they are. Should be done by mid July I believe
(06-16-2024, 10:08 AM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Yes they are. Should be done by mid July I believe
That’s a wishful date…..gonna be more closer to the first of August
(06-10-2024, 01:00 PM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Where’s my other Ram fans at? Kind of a business as usual going on over at the field. Kids are working hard. Kind of nice for the chatter to be a little quieter tbh. Gets bothersome year in and out for everyone to be talking about it being “the year”. This year the expectations aren’t nearly as high, but for me, the expectations stay the same. Get to the semis and a shot to play at Kroger. 1A isn’t top heavy enough, imo for it to be any less for Raceland. A state title isn’t in the cards this year, imo. Baring a freak thing and Pikeville takes an upset defeat, it’s not in the cards for anyone else realistically. I kind of think Raceland and Sayre flip spots from a year ago…imo.

Good news is, Raceland has some legit speed this year that they haven’t had in a long time. Have some lazer times that have impressed me quite a bit. Rowsey is closing in on 4.4 speed, Rister at lazer 4.5s. And the most impressive is Landon Stiltner who just continues to turn heads at the combines. He ran a 4.38 at UK. The kid has always been strong, fast, and atheletic, but he has worked his ass off this off-season and I expect him to do big things the next 3 years. He is just a sophomore and already at 200lbs of muscle. Idk if Raceland has had a RB with that type of speed. Ever.

QB and OL are huge question marks in terms of personel coming in to replace. But Elkins, Hunt, Litteral, Crum, and Bowden are the front runners for the starting OL imo. I think Ison gets the knod the next two years at QB.

There’s big holes to fill. But for those that anticipate “a slide back down the hill” are still eating sour grapes and suffer from wishful thinking disorder. Raceland will still be a top 3/4 team in the state by November.

4.38?  That would have been the 10th fastest 40 time at the 2024 NFL combine.  Pretty unreal that a rising sophomore is faster than all but 10 incoming NFL rookies.  Raceland must truly have a star in the making.
The 4.38 is obviously bogus in a big way but I expect Raceland to be back at Kroger if they avoid Pikeville. They ran for 1000 yards against Sayre and they know how to line up and run over them again IMO.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Walt Longmire
Obviously I didn’t see the 4.38 with my own two eyes and wasn’t the one that timed it. But the 4.38 was documented at the combine at UK. He also ran a 4.4 something. He has documented 4.45 or lower at each combine he has attended If I’m not mistaken. That being said, that speed only goes as far as the line allows. And with a new QB I expect teams to load the box a little more. So regardless of his speed, there are big holes to fill to make that speed relevant.
Did this Rister kid get hurt last year? Noticed he only played 1 game.
One of the new kids had an acl injury last year in week 1 I believe. So that’s probably the one.

I could have some names mixed up from that group as well. I know cooper was a QB but I could have the WR and Lineman mixed up.
(06-18-2024, 09:20 AM)ArmChairHC Wrote: Obviously I didn’t see the 4.38 with my own two eyes and wasn’t the one that timed it. But the 4.38 was documented at the combine at UK. He also ran a 4.4 something. He has documented 4.45 or lower at each combine he has attended If I’m not mistaken. That being said, that speed only goes as far as the line allows. And with a new QB I expect teams to load the box a little more. So regardless of his speed, there are big holes to fill to make that speed relevant.

Careful, those kind of numbers might attract the Russell people and they may find out that his great uncle actually lived in Russell for three months in 1968. Therefore he's another transfer which will enact a new starting point for the five year no play clause. To my Russell friends, I'm just joking......and besides that, I don't know if it was actually 1968.  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes i82much's post:
  • Jarons
(06-18-2024, 11:32 AM)ArmChairHC Wrote: One of the new kids had an acl injury last year in week 1 I believe. So that’s probably the one.

I could have some names mixed up from that group as well. I know cooper was a QB but I could have the WR and Lineman mixed up.

That kid was a lineman. Issac Horsley.
(06-15-2024, 07:47 AM)LClion4life Wrote: I hope Raceland enjoys the 3 players they plucked from Lewis County. I just learned of the 3rd so there may be more at this point, idk. Something fishy is going on over there and if you don’t think anybody from the coaching staff or school talked to these kids and their parents before they enrolled at Raceland then I have some beach front property in Vanceburg to sell you. Win and lose with your own kids. Could have been a special year for Lewis Co football according to our standards and our two best skill players and best OL decide to drive 45 minutes east for school and practice every day. Dirty. When the hammer comes down on Raceland it’s gonna make Fairview of the early 2010’s look like nothing was happening.
I’m an alumni and a lifelong Ram fan but I have to say that I am inclined to agree with you.  If these kids lived nearby or had ties with the community then that would be different but in this case I don’t agree with it.  Raceland used to be a special place where you knew everyone you played with from the time you grew up until you graduated.  Not so much now with kids coming from all over the place and half of the team never living within the school district.  

Also what message does this send to the kids that actually grew up in the district and lose their spot that they worked hard for because the school allowed someone who lives an hour away to come in and take their spot?  This may not be a popular opinion amongst my fellow Rams but we have to do a better job at developing our own kids and not taking talent from other places to make up for our own lack of player development.
(06-19-2024, 07:41 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(06-15-2024, 07:47 AM)LClion4life Wrote: I hope Raceland enjoys the 3 players they plucked from Lewis County. I just learned of the 3rd so there may be more at this point, idk. Something fishy is going on over there and if you don’t think anybody from the coaching staff or school talked to these kids and their parents before they enrolled at Raceland then I have some beach front property in Vanceburg to sell you. Win and lose with your own kids. Could have been a special year for Lewis Co football according to our standards and our two best skill players and best OL decide to drive 45 minutes east for school and practice every day. Dirty. When the hammer comes down on Raceland it’s gonna make Fairview of the early 2010’s look like nothing was happening.
I’m an alumni and a lifelong Ram fan but I have to say that I am inclined to agree with you.  If these kids lived nearby or had ties with the community then that would be different but in this case I don’t agree with it.  Raceland used to be a special place where you knew everyone you played with from the time you grew up until you graduated.  Not so much now with kids coming from all over the place and half of the team never living within the school district.  

Also what message does this send to the kids that actually grew up in the district and lose their spot that they worked hard for because the school allowed someone who lives an hour away to come in and take their spot?  This may not be a popular opinion amongst my fellow Rams but we have to do a better job at developing our own kids and not taking talent from other places to make up for our own lack of player development.

So you’re not a fan of the best player playing? You’re more of a fan who’s been there the longest playing. What a terrible outlook.
(06-19-2024, 10:00 AM)Waitaminute Wrote:

So you’re not a fan of the best player playing? You’re more of a fan who’s been there the longest playing. What a terrible outlook.
I’m not a fan of kids who live an hour away taking a spot from someone who actually lives in the district. At some point the integrity of actually supporting your own communities residents supersedes winning or losing.

It also goes back to what I said at the end of my original statement. Do a better job at developing your own kids and you won’t need to take the kids that someone else developed.
I used to feel the same way OB. But the world we live in is so different now than it was even as recent as 10 years ago. Kids come and go all the time these days. It’s even worse in basketball and softball with AAU and travel team connections.
I’m all for kids staying put if they’re in a good situation.
And as for the development part, I don’t agree with that at all. Some kids no matter the coaching just aren’t good enough. If that was the case Nick Saban wouldn’t have cared about getting the best players in the country every year. He would’ve just took a team full of walk ons. Typically the kids who are your best players at an early age are still your best players as jrs and srs.
There is the exceptions to the rule both ways, you sometimes get 1-2 kids that develop late and really turn into good players and you also have those grade school legends who have fully matured by 6th grade and never get one bit better. But overall the best usually stay the best, and some kids no matter how well they’re coached just aren’t ever good enough ….unfortunately that’s just life. When kids from worse programs want to join better programs for the chances of winning, or better facilities or whatever, I’m all for it.
Took a look at the Cooper kid and he is a 3 year starting quarterback. My opinion as an outsider is he will be raceland quarterback. No way u don’t give him the nod being a 3 year starter.
(06-20-2024, 10:44 AM)ArmChairHC Wrote: I used to feel the same way OB. But the world we live in is so different now than it was even as recent as 10 years ago. Kids come and go all the time these days. It’s even worse in basketball and softball with AAU and travel team connections.
I get where you are coming from but the purpose of high school sports is supposed to be about supporting your community and not having outsiders come in to exploit your resources for their own personal gain.

And before anyone tries to say you can’t win without transfers I’ll just say this.  Raceland’s only state title in any sport (track) was won with a team of all home grown Raceland kids who actually lived there.

I use to think a lot of these same things. Times have changed and I believe this mentality has alot to do with Raceland kids never staying in college on a sports scholarship. They’ve been pampered and sheltered their whole life