Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boyd County 57 Ashland 45 (16th Region Finals)
Final from Morehead.
I didn't fully expect this.
Congrats to Boyd County!
Congrats to bc,,,,,,Ashland could not make shots,could not hit free throws,and they played bc ball instead of Ashland ball,,,
Could not be prouder of the Ashland Kittens. You have made all of Ashland proud. You play with style and class. Thanks for the great season. Don't worry your time at state is coming. I think for a few years in a row. Thanks again girls and all the coaches for your hard work.
Looks like the pre-season pollsters had this one right. Boyd Co. has a very good squad. Inside game, outside shooters, experienced point guard and Wheeler. Senior experience was a big key. Ashland had a fantastic year that no one expected and they have everyone back. Congrats to both teams on a fine season.
LWC you took the words right out of my mouth.I fully expected Ashland to win-but I still will say Congrats to Boyd Co.
Congrats BC.
I expected the Kittens to head to state. Great job by the ladies of BC
Congrats BC girls, you deserve it. I look for Ashland to be cutting down some nets in the next few years, however.
i think i mentioned this before but if they don't figure out and fix the problem they won't go very far. should have turned the 8th graders loose earlier in the season, and demanded them to take the game over. thats how we won an 8th and 9th grader. however we appreciate you being so grateful to us, we just let the district game slip away, not this time.
16th Lion Wrote:i think i mentioned this before but if they don't figure out and fix the problem they won't go very far. should have turned the 8th graders loose earlier in the season, and demanded them to take the game over. thats how we won an 8th and 9th grader. however we appreciate you being so grateful to us, we just let the district game slip away, not this time.

Catering to only the young players will only cause future problems. Ashland had a solid starting 5. In the games I saw, Bradley had about a 10-man rotation and each of these players played at least a quarter. That's a pretty good player rotation in a 32-minute game. Additionally, are you automatically going to throw experienced (and good) older players under the bus just because younger players with talent come along? A good coach will try to include them all as much as possible.

Of course you always have a selfish player (or parent) that demands more playing time. IMO, if that player wants to leave (especially as an 8th or 9th grader before they have "paid their dues") then let them go. That player will only be a bigger problem for the program down the road.

Of course, in this day and age, players regularly transfer when not happy. With the current sports environment, no coach can be sure of what his next year's team will look like. But all indications lead me to believe that the Kitten's future is extremely bright. You say Ashland has a problem that needs to be fixed. A 26-5 record and beating Boyd County 4 times out of 5 with no seniors (and only 2 juniors) is an unbelievable season. Ashland had 2 horrible shooting games of the season. Unfortunately, one just happened during the regional final.

However, I do wish Boyd luck at State - represent the 16th region well!! :Thumbs:
If I can remember correctly this years sophmoreswhen they were in 7th ,8th did the same as this young bunch but we didn't throw the other older kids under the bus, they waited for there time. These two groups together will b awesome if the parents will leave things along
the comment about the 8th and 9ty graders taking over wasn't from ashland. it was from bc talking about fraley wheeler and stewart!
Skip Pass Wrote:Catering to only the young players will only cause future problems. Ashland had a solid starting 5. In the games I saw, Bradley had about a 10-man rotation and each of these players played at least a quarter. That's a pretty good player rotation in a 32-minute game. Additionally, are you automatically going to throw experienced (and good) older players under the bus just because younger players with talent come along? A good coach will try to include them all as much as possible.

Of course you always have a selfish player (or parent) that demands more playing time. IMO, if that player wants to leave (especially as an 8th or 9th grader before they have "paid their dues") then let them go. That player will only be a bigger problem for the program down the road.

Of course, in this day and age, players regularly transfer when not happy. With the current sports environment, no coach can be sure of what his next year's team will look like. But all indications lead me to believe that the Kitten's future is extremely bright. You say Ashland has a problem that needs to be fixed. A 26-5 record and beating Boyd County 4 times out of 5 with no seniors (and only 2 juniors) is an unbelievable season. Ashland had 2 horrible shooting games of the season. Unfortunately, one just happened during the regional final.

However, I do wish Boyd luck at State - represent the 16th region well!! :Thumbs:

Whoa! You must be one of the daddies from the Kitten Nation.
Leisure Larry Wrote:Whoa! You must be one of the daddies from the Kitten Nation.

Nope, just an old ball player with an old school philosophy.
Skip Pass Wrote:Nope, just an old ball player with an old school philosophy.

wooo great job
I think the adults that get on here need to be careful what they post. Kids get on here and read this stuff. I think the "old school" mentality needs to be re-evaluated. Once these girls make a team that are all on equal footing. Regardless of age. There are a lot of schools that play girls because of their ability and not their grade. Logan Fraley is a bright spot for BC. And she outplayed the seniors on her team more than once. As for Ashland I think starting positions are not a lock for next year. Hard work and committment will decide who gets what. Coach Bradley has a bench full of very talented girls. Anyone of them could step up and make big thinks happen. Age or grade will have nothing to do with it. Talent and hardwork will. And no I am not a parent of any of these girls. Just someone who believes in the Kitten program.
Luv Maroon Wrote:I think the adults that get on here need to be careful what they post. Kids get on here and read this stuff. I think the "old school" mentality needs to be re-evaluated. Once these girls make a team that are all on equal footing. Regardless of age. There are a lot of schools that play girls because of their ability and not their grade. Logan Fraley is a bright spot for BC. And she outplayed the seniors on her team more than once. As for Ashland I think starting positions are not a lock for next year. Hard work and committment will decide who gets what. Coach Bradley has a bench full of very talented girls. Anyone of them could step up and make big thinks happen. Age or grade will have nothing to do with it. Talent and hardwork will. And no I am not a parent of any of these girls. Just someone who believes in the Kitten program.

Good post. I agree.
Truth Wrote:Good post. I agree.

I also agree. Don't misunderstand my post. I believe that the best players should play. Talent is important to winning but so is experience. IMO you have to have a combination of both to be successful. The best situation is when you have enough good and experienced players on the team that you don't have to throw the young ones into the fire too quickly but to let them learn and bring them along slowly.

Many times a younger player may have the talent but the strength and "knowledge of the game" need development. A good example is defense and rebounding. Offensively a young player may be outstanding but struggles on the defensive end because she lacks strength and still has a "middle school defensive mentality". These things take a while to learn. The first year of varsity ball is a true learning curve in these areas. Many fans see the offensive benefits of a young player, but fail to see the defensive shortcomings.

That being said, I believe that the starting positions for the Kittens are all up for grabs next year. With the young players having a year of varsity experience, I can see some possible changes in the starting lineup. Summer ball will probably have a huge impact on these decisions. Of course if changes are made, then we may hear the other side of the argument from fans who believe that the players who lose their starting positions are being mistreated.
Coach Bradley is a great coach and more importantly a better person. He knows what he is doing and the parents should realize the opportunity their children have to play for such a person.
Skip Pass Wrote:I also agree. Don't misunderstand my post. I believe that the best players should play. Talent is important to winning but so is experience. IMO you have to have a combination of both to be successful. The best situation is when you have enough good and experienced players on the team that you don't have to throw the young ones into the fire too quickly but to let them learn and bring them along slowly.

Many times a younger player may have the talent but the strength and "knowledge of the game" need development. A good example is defense and rebounding. Offensively a young player may be outstanding but struggles on the defensive end because she lacks strength and still has a "middle school defensive mentality". These things take a while to learn. The first year of varsity ball is a true learning curve in these areas. Many fans see the offensive benefits of a young player, but fail to see the defensive shortcomings.

That being said, I believe that the starting positions for the Kittens are all up for grabs next year. With the young players having a year of varsity experience, I can see some possible changes in the starting lineup. Summer ball will probably have a huge impact on these decisions. Of course if changes are made, then we may hear the other side of the argument from fans who believe that the players who lose their starting positions are being mistreated.

Also, a good post. Valid points in regard to the value of upperclassmen. There is no substitute for experience and the physical development that comes with age and competition.
Bet other coaches wouldn't mind having these problems.
His best starting five are those who started this past season. No need to throw the younger kids this starting line up. They will have their turn soon enough, they gained a lot of valuable playing time this season.
marooncheese Wrote:His best starting five are those who started this past season. No need to throw the younger kids this starting line up. They will have their turn soon enough, they gained a lot of valuable playing time this season.

Unpropitious as it was for Coach Bradley...he probably learned a very valuable lesson this past year. Whereas Coach Fraley of Boyd County won with his underclasswomen so will Coach Bradley come next season. I predict outside of Farris and Heaberlin the starting line up will have some new looks and new faces to it.

As for Robinson, Gransberry and Foutch...those 3 could have started varsity at any other school in the region. Is there anyone out there to argue this point? I think not! Trust me, Coach Bradley has the fortitude to make the necessary adjustments to earn a trip next year to Diddle! Good Luck Kittens and we had a awesome season!
The Robinson girl has star written all over her; she could conceivably be a top 10 player in the region next year as a freshman. Looked like her playing time decreased as the year went on though...
There is no way that Gambill, Culloup and Jones are not in the starting line up next season. Imo
marooncheese Wrote:There is no way that Gambill, Culloup and Jones are not in the starting line up next season. Imo

I believe you are correct! Three 8th graders are going to transfer after school is out, so yeah, I agree with you!
Boyd will miss Chaney and Plybon. They really played great late in the year.
Talk to the Hand Wrote:I believe you are correct! Three 8th graders are going to transfer after school is out, so yeah, I agree with you!

Bradley will make all the appropriate player decisions after summer ball and pre-season practices. There is no doubt in my mind that Bradley will play the best players that he feels gives him the best chance of winning. Bradley is a coach above all else and that means his first priority is winning. He is not going to play the politics game (or any other game) that keeps him from his number one goal of getting to state.