Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
52nd district favorite
I know it is a long time until baseball even starts but who is the Favorite to win the 52nd district
Never to early to talk baseball! With that said the favorite will be Harlan County. They return basically everything and won the district last year. Middlesboro will be solid also.
Harlan County should definitely be the favorite returning almost everything. If they can get it going, they are also one of the top contenders for the region this spring. Middlesboro returns much as well and will contend for the district crown as well. Bell County will be very young and could compete for the district, but I believe they are a year or two away still yet; although they do have a solid freshman class from what I understand. Harlan returns every player as well and may be a little better, but just do not have the talent or coaching to compete for the district at this time.
It's been awhile since Harlan has been good in baseball?
Middlesboro should be the favorite. They return everyone and HC cannot beat them when Epperson is on the mound, which he was not for the district championship last year. Middlesboro however, has beaten Boggs on several occasions.

Furthermore, Middlesboro has 6 starters playing in the Union College Fall League right now and they are getting better and better.

Bell County lost their best offensive player and top pitcher in Hilton. I assume they thought of him as their top pitcher seeing as though they chose to pitch him against Middlesboro in the district tourney opener. They do have a solid freshman class but it is the same group that got beat by Middlesboro's Middle School team last year.

Harlan, unfortunately, won't win a single district game.

Is Harlan County still going to be at Cawood High School's baseball field again this year? Surely not.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:Is Harlan County still going to be at Cawood High School's baseball field again this year? Surely not.

Harlan County will be on the new field this spring.

I guess Harlan County will just stay at the house when Epperson throws. They can't beat him. You know since we've seen this happen before.

And poor Boggs just gets beat to death by the Jackets, he just shut them down when it mattered last season, but that's it. Nothing more. Just a district championship. But wait the great Middlesboro is about more than that, they have tradition and everybody is envious.

I respect everyone's opinion and even respect minor bias for one's own school. However a lot of stuff you say on here is just well, dumb. Harlan County and Middlesboro both return a lot and both should be solid contenders within the 52nd District and the 13th Region. However, Harlan County did win 2 of 3 last season and took the District Title and returns everything so why shouldn't they be the favorite? They are the champion until Middlesboro, Bell, or Harlan knock them off right?

I do expect Harlan to be slightly improved, but I don't think they are going to factor into the championship contention. Bell I believe from what I hear has some good young talent, but they are a year or two away.

February can't get here soon enough.
1. Harlan Co.
2. Middlesboro
3. Bell Co.
4. Harlan

Harlan Co. I think will beat Middlesboro in a close game!

Quote:Furthermore, Middlesboro has 6 starters playing in the Union College Fall League right now and they are getting better and better.

^
I have watched a couple games there. Bubba's power is UNBELIEVABLE!! Still yet, the team consisting of Barbourville and Bell Co. has beaten them twice at a total of 37-14! Sure it is a fall league but I wouldn't sleep on Bell Co. too much this upcoming year.
Harlan County is the definite favorite here. Middlesboro's pitching staff just does not compare to Harlan County's.

IMO, HC will dominate the 52nd district for the years to come. After this year they return the same team and so on. Don't get me wrong M'boro is a solid team, just not solid enough to contend with Harlan County this year.

Looking forward to this matchup on Hc's new baseball facility.
SeKyCatFan Wrote:Harlan County will be on the new field this spring.

I guess Harlan County will just stay at the house when Epperson throws. They can't beat him. You know since we've seen this happen before.

And poor Boggs just gets beat to death by the Jackets, he just shut them down when it mattered last season, but that's it. Nothing more. Just a district championship. But wait the great Middlesboro is about more than that, they have tradition and everybody is envious.

I respect everyone's opinion and even respect minor bias for one's own school. However a lot of stuff you say on here is just well, dumb. Harlan County and Middlesboro both return a lot and both should be solid contenders within the 52nd District and the 13th Region. However, Harlan County did win 2 of 3 last season and took the District Title and returns everything so why shouldn't they be the favorite? They are the champion until Middlesboro, Bell, or Harlan knock them off right?

I do expect Harlan to be slightly improved, but I don't think they are going to factor into the championship contention. Bell I believe from what I hear has some good young talent, but they are a year or two away.

February can't get here soon enough.

When exactly did you see this happen? He didn't pitch against them last year. Middlesboro pitched Epperson against Bell County in the district opener against Bell County when he struck out 12 batters.

If Boggs shut down Middlesboro than Wilson and Capps flat out dominated seeing as how Boggs gave up 5 hits to Middlesboro and Wilson/Capps gave up a combined 4 hits and just 1 earned run.

They will definitely both be contenders. Quite frankly, I just feel that HC beating MHS in the district championship was a fluke. I would venture to say that many would agree. I'm definitely looking forward to this season though.
MHS Parent4Life Wrote:When exactly did you see this happen? He didn't pitch against them last year. Middlesboro pitched Epperson against Bell County in the district opener against Bell County when he struck out 12 batters.

If Boggs shut down Middlesboro than Wilson and Capps flat out dominated seeing as how Boggs gave up 5 hits to Middlesboro and Wilson/Capps gave up a combined 4 hits and just 1 earned run.

They will definitely both be contenders. Quite frankly, I just feel that HC beating MHS in the district championship was a fluke. I would venture to say that many would agree. I'm definitely looking forward to this season though.

Since five people have replied to this thread with each picking Harlan County as the favorite and only you picking Middlesboro, I doubt too many people thought Harlan County beating Middlesboro was a fluke. However, there likely are a few in Middlesboro.
That "union fall league" isn't going to help M'boro come timid to play HC.. I look for a sweep of the jackets. Also, the only reason Wilson/capps gave up a four combined hits is because Wilson did nothing but walk people and when HC needed a hit they got it to bring in runs. The last two games against each other showed who the district champ was.
I really don't understand how Harlan County beating Middlesboro in district was a fluke. Just wow.
Very good point^ I believe HC outscored M'boro 6-2 the last two games they played?
well umm hilton did not start agaisnt m-boro in the district tourney last year, cox started. and im pretty sure that m-boro started epperson agaisnt bell (which is y harlan county dident see him) and bell should have won that game they gave m-boro and epperson everything they wanted!
and the championship game was not a fluke at all, HC did what they had to do when they needed to. I will say, this year its gonna be a little crazy between HC an M-boro. they both are bringing back VERY soild teams and are gonna be hard to beat. bell will struggle only having Dillon cox as their only consistent pitcher, but they are bringing in a pretty good freshmen class. and no-offense to harlan i just dont know what to say, but to wish you the best of luck!
I'm not sure if M'boro will be able to pllay on that much bigger field of Harlan County's seeing that they play on a short porch.

Winning the district last year definitely makes them the favorite, I expect the games between these two this year to not even be close. IMO, Harlan county will put M'boro in there rightful place which is 2nd.
Harlan County will certainly be the favorite. They are the defending 52nd District Champions and have virtually everyone returning.

Middlesboro will always be a solid 13th Region team as long as Bill Powell has his hand on the program, but Harlan County will probably be, in my opinion, one of the Top 3 teams in the 13th Region with a good chance to win it in 2012!
FanofThegame12 Wrote:I'm not sure if M'boro will be able to pllay on that much bigger field of Harlan County's seeing that they play on a short porch.

Winning the district last year definitely makes them the favorite, I expect the games between these two this year to not even be close. IMO, Harlan county will put M'boro in there rightful place which is 2nd.

This just shows how little you know about baseball. What has HC done this off-season to make you think they can blow MHS out? lol

Also, is HC field any deeper that Cumberland's old field? Or Corbin's? Or Cawood's old field? Because Middlesboro has won regional titles at all of these places.

Harlan County has a good team coming back. However, let's keep things in perspective, it is their 1st district title. They will be a tough team to beat but it isn't like they have been a powerhouse for years. MHS has won 53 of them. Win them with class.

I don't think MHS will blow out HC. However, I do feel very comfortable about it. With Epperson on the mound, it's a near lock.
lets not forget about boggs now, and does HC still have the bond kid because both of them can flat out pitch...epperson is a good pitcher not takin anything away from him at all.
How little I know about baseball? That's a real knee slapper. And with Epperson on the mound it's a near lock? You can't serious. I've not seen anything from him that's dominant. And just because I said the games won't be close doesn't mean I meant they were a powerhouse, all I meant was your All mighty yellow jackets are having down years and HC is on the rise. And I should've been more specific, I didn't mean like blowouts I meant like maybe 7 or 8 to nothing games maybe give um a run or two.:zzz:
And HC's new field and hitting facility is almost done from what I heard so give them time and they'll be working their butts off. And when you say what has HC done I hope you don't mean that by a couple of M'boro players that are playing in that Union/fall league makes them any better because I could've watched a little league game and been more impressed.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:How little I know about baseball? That's a real knee slapper. And with Epperson on the mound it's a near lock? You can't serious. I've not seen anything from him that's dominant. And just because I said the games won't be close doesn't mean I meant they were a powerhouse, all I meant was your All mighty yellow jackets are having down years and HC is on the rise. And I should've been more specific, I didn't mean like blowouts I meant like maybe 7 or 8 to nothing games maybe give um a run or two.:zzz:

You meant to say had a down year, singular form, right? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but Middlesboro won 23 games and beat HC 3 out of 3 times the year before last.

In fact, MHS has won 6 of the last 9 against HC.
Well sort of meant in singular form, but don't get wrong if they got 23 wins the year before that's pretty darn good. I meant that usually they make pretty deep runs in the region and I'd say before they won more than 23 in the past right? HC is a new program and they are progressively winning more and more each year going from I think like a 500 season to a 22-11 season I believe.

Its just basically these aren't the teams we're used to seeing from M'boro.
I could be wrong, but I'd say with coach powell he'll be getting his underclassmen ready. HC in the next year or so will be very talented with the underclassmen they have while you include Boggs next year. Should be good match ups between the two in the next couple of years.
FanofThegame12 Wrote:Well sort of meant in singular form, but don't get wrong if they got 23 wins the year before that's pretty darn good. I meant that usually they make pretty deep runs in the region and I'd say before they won more than 23 in the past right? HC is a new program and they are progressively winning more and more each year going from I think like a 500 season to a 22-11 season I believe.

Its just basically these aren't the teams we're used to seeing from M'boro.
I could be wrong, but I'd say with coach powell he'll be getting his underclassmen ready. HC in the next year or so will be very talented with the underclassmen they have while you include Boggs next year. Should be good match ups between the two in the next couple of years.

I can respect that answer. Very good response. You are correct about Middlesboro have much more struggles last year than usual. I think it was a rebuilding year. I'm looking forward to the season already.
You and me both. I completely respect Middlesboro's program history because not many schools can say they have a rich tradition. I'm looking forward to a good season, with the Black bears and Yellow jackets lining up for another district championship battle. And hopefully Harlan county's new field gets done so they can host the 52nd district? Correct me if I'm wrong. It would be a good atmosphere for the tournament.
I don't think there's any doubt that the Harlan County field will be ready. It is a facility that is second to none.
jackets will be very tough. i think harlan co. and middlesboro will be a great game.
middlesboro! will give anyone aa run for there money.
This thread has died, lets hear what everybody thinks now that the season is a little under a month away.
1. Harlan Co
2. Middlesboro
3. Bell Co
4. Harlan