Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Labor Day
Happy Labor Day folks of BGR. Thank a union for this holiday, we brought it to you. I am going to enjoy the rest of this weekend without talking politics. Have fun, and be safe.
Wow RealVille....you have found something we can agree on!!!
Happy Labor Day to you and your family; have a wonderful and safe holiday!!!!
The government brought us Labor Day.
RV why make a fine holiday Political?
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:The government brought us Labor Day.

Quote:Labor Day: How it Came About; What it Means
Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.
Founder of Labor Day
More than 100 years after the first Labor Day observance, there is still some doubt as to who first proposed the holiday for workers.
Some records show that Peter J. McGuire, general secretary of the Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners and a cofounder of the American Federation of Labor, was first in suggesting a day to honor those "who from rude nature have delved and carved all the grandeur we behold."
But Peter McGuire's place in Labor Day history has not gone unchallenged. Many believe that Matthew Maguire, a machinist, not Peter McGuire, founded the holiday. Recent research seems to support the contention that Matthew Maguire, later the secretary of Local 344 of the International Association of Machinists in Paterson, N.J., proposed the holiday in 1882 while serving as secretary of the Central Labor Union in New York. What is clear is that the Central Labor Union adopted a Labor Day proposal and appointed a committee to plan a demonstration and picn
ic.
The First Labor Day
The first Labor Day holiday was celebrated on Tuesday, September 5, 1882, in New York City, in accordance with the plans of the Central Labor Union. The Central Labor Union held its second Labor Day holiday just a year later, on September 5, 1883.
In 1884 the first Monday in September was selected as the holiday, as originally proposed, and the Central Labor Union urged similar organizations in other cities to follow the example of New York and celebrate a "workingmen's holiday" on that date. The idea spread with the growth of labor organizations, and in 1885 Labor Day was celebrated in many industrial centers of the country.
Labor Day Legislation
Through the years the nation gave increasing emphasis to Labor Day. The first governmental recognition came through municipal ordinances passed during 1885 and 1886. From them developed the movement to secure state legislation. The first state bill was introduced into the New York legislature, but the first to become law was passed by Oregon on February 21, 1887. During the year four more states — Colorado, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York — created the Labor Day holiday by legislative enactment. By the end of the decade Connecticut, Nebraska, and Pennsylvania had followed suit. By 1894, 23 other states had adopted the holiday in honor of workers, and on June 28 of that year, Congress passed an act making the first Monday in September of each year a legal holiday in the District of Columbia and the territories.
http://www.dol.gov/opa/aboutdol/laborday.htm

Can't help myself but to come back for a bit to quell falsehoods.
Wait a minute!!! No politics, no accusations, no "links"......just Happy Labor Day to my BGR family..

ok?
[Image: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9G...8O5T-OzZe3]
The jobs are over there
Granny Bear Wrote:Wait a minute!!! No politics, no accusations, no "links"......just Happy Labor Day to my BGR family..

ok?
I tried Granny, but the usual suspects wouldn't leave it alone.
[Image: http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9G...4tSOrBM08Q] Cheers Enjoy the rain..... (God must be punishing the unions on their dayConfusednickerSmile
TheRealVille Wrote:http://www.dol.gov/opa/aboutdol/laborday.htm

Can't help myself but to come back for a bit to quell falsehoods.

As I said before, the government brought us Labor Day. I know that the labor unions think they are all powerful but they cannot establish national holidays.
Confusedhh:
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:As I said before, the government brought us Labor Day. I know that the labor unions think they are all powerful but they cannot establish national holidays.
As a national holiday, yes, but Labor Day started in states, by union labor, before it was a national holiday. The US government just followed suit. Admit it or not, Labor Day was started by unions. Even Hoot and TRT will say that is fact.
hitler brought us Hanukkah? JOKE
happy labor day
TheRealVille Wrote:Happy Labor Day folks of BGR. Thank a union for this holiday, we brought it to you. I am going to enjoy the rest of this weekend without talking politics. Have fun, and be safe.

Y'all didn't build that!!:biggrin:
i think hoot should have to work a double shift on labor day since he is anti union
TheRealVille Wrote:As a national holiday, yes, but Labor Day started in states, by union labor, before it was a national holiday. The US government just followed suit. Admit it or not, Labor Day was started by unions. Even Hoot and TRT will say that is fact.

Come on. You are telling us that unions declared a day to "honor" workers and the states recognized it without any official state action? Never. If you had a day recognized by various states, those states acted to establish the day. Unions, on their own, couldn't do squat unless they just went out on a one day strike.

I do feel sure that Labor Day was pushed by the unions just like Groundhog Day was pushed by the groundhogs. Very similar.
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:Come on. You are telling us that unions declared a day to "honor" workers and the states recognized it without any official state action? Never. If you had a day recognized by various states, those states acted to establish the day. Unions, on their own, couldn't do squat unless they just went out on a one day strike.

I do feel sure that Labor Day was pushed by the unions just like Groundhog Day was pushed by the groundhogs. Very similar.
Look up the facts of labor day, and quit being an ass. It's all on the government link I provided. the states did officially honor it, then the US government followed suit.
^He may have you on this one Harry Rex, LOL. Of course government officials enacted the legislation but it was working men that came up with the idea.

Happy Labor Day to all. RV we disagree on just about everything but, you're my union brother. Have a good one.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealVille Wrote:Look up the facts of labor day, and quit being an ass. It's all on the government link I provided. the states did officially honor it, then the US government followed suit.

Yep. Just like I said. It was really nothing until, as you said, the states "officially honor it then the US government followed suit". There was no official holiday until the government made it official. Unions, even in their former heyday, obviously couldn't make anything official. Just like the groundhogs couldn't, on their own, make their day official.
The unions also gave China the steel industry.
SKINNYPIG Wrote:The unions also gave China the steel industry.

Now this statement is not politically correct. But it is the absolute truth. All those demands for outrageous wages and benefits are the major cause of jobs fleeing this country. And, look at all the governmental units in various stages of bankruptcy. What caused that? Pension funds for union retirees.

Whine all you want, union supporters, but you have, through raw greed, caused your own problems.

Why did Kardashian demand a bail out of the auto industry rather than the far more practical Chapter 11 Bankruptcy? The answer is obvious. The bailout protected his buddies in the union at the expense of the rest of us. Chapter 11 would have allowed renegotiation of those obscene labor contracts. Kardashian, a community agitator and nothing else, would never do anything to hurt the union ilk.
Does anybody know what the breakdown is for union vs. non-union steelworkers employed in the U.S. steel mills that are still operating? China currently produces 8 times as much steel as the United States produces and the gap is growing fast. Thank you, United Steelworkers and your Democratic sponsors.
You can be sure that the nonunion steel plants are far more successful.
Truth Wrote:You can be sure that the nonunion steel plants are far more successful.
I worked on site in a non-union steel mill's IT department near Indianapolis on and off for more than 5 years. It was 100 percent non-union and owned by one of the most most successful steel companies in the world.

The old steel mills in this country that use coal and union labor can no longer compete in the world market. Electric arc furnaces and non-union labor have allowed this country to hang on to its small share of the global steel market.

Non-union labor is labor and the contributions of the men and women who have managed to keep some of our factories and steel mills open deserve to be celebrated as much as those who belong to the unions that still survive against increasingly long odds.
According to liberals, government built everything. Our nation was supposedly founded on big government, high taxes, and socialized health care.
OK guys lets pull those horns in for just a second. If unions have become corrupt, and I agree they certainly have, it isn't because there is something innately evil with the unions. Rather there is something innately evil in men. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. When unions promote the sharks into positions of leadership the membership winds up getting taken advantage of and being force fed a diet of leadership's self serving lies and the manipulations that go along with them. Same exact thing happens when the masses keep sending the sharks up to the Hill. Of the people, for the people, by the people goes the way of the dodo, and again, we become a controlled people. I do agree that thinking folks associated with the union and the voting public make conscious decisions to support the bad guys as well.

Compromising the moral standards which have provided the foundation of our civilization will eventually bring us down. And don't think I haven't noticed the framework of our country sagging, of late.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]