Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Salt Lake Tribune endorses Obama
The leading Mormon newspaper endorses Obama. That should tell you something. Even they, a mormon owned paper, know he flip flops like the wind. :hilarious:
Quote:The Salt Lake Tribune, paper of record in the heart of Mormon territory, has endorsed President Barack Obama.

The Salt Lake Trib endorsed Obama in 2008 as well, but given Mitt Romney's Mormon faith, as well as his role in the 2002 Winter Olympics, there was a reasonable expecation that the editorial board might lean the other way.

The board notes these allegiances -- "[Romney's] head for business and the bottom line all inspire admiration and hope in our largely Mormon, Republican, business-friendly state" -- and they celebrate his "singular role in rescuing Utah’s organization of the 2002 Olympics from a cesspool of scandal."

But:

[This] is not the only Romney, as his campaign for the White House has made abundantly clear, first in his servile courtship of the tea party in order to win the nomination, and now as the party’s shape-shifting nominee. From his embrace of the party’s radical right wing, to subsequent portrayals of himself as a moderate champion of the middle class, Romney has raised the most frequently asked question of the campaign: "Who is this guy, really, and what in the world does he truly believe?"

The evidence suggests no clear answer, or at least one that would survive Romney’s next speech or sound bite. Politicians routinely tailor their words to suit an audience. Romney, though, is shameless, lavishing vastly diverse audiences with words, any words, they would trade their votes to hear.

More troubling, Romney has repeatedly refused to share specifics of his radical plan to simultaneously reduce the debt, get rid of Obamacare (or, as he now says, only part of it), make a voucher program of Medicare, slash taxes and spending, and thereby create millions of new jobs. ...
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2012...39025.html

Another source.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/comp..._blog.html
TheRealVille Wrote:The leading Mormon newspaper endorses Obama. That should tell you something. Even they, a mormon owned paper, know he flip flops like the wind. :hilarious:

Another source.
Who is the Mormon who owns the newspaper? You would not simply assume that the paper is owned by a Mormon because it is based in Utah, would you?
^The Salt Lake Tribune filed Chapter 11 reorganization bankruptcy in Jan. 2010. These days the Salt Lake Tribune is owned by the MediaNews Group, based in Denver, Colorado, and is one of the largest newspaper companies in the United States. It is privately owned and operates 56 daily newspapers in 12 states, with combined daily and Sunday circulation of approximately 2.4 million and 2.7 million, respectively. The company also owns KTVA, a CBS affiliate in Anchorage, Alaska, and radio stations in Texas.

The company's executive board chairman is co-founder William Dean Singleton, previously CEO. MediaNews' other founder, Richard Scudder, served as the chairman from 1985 to 2009. The former president, Jody Lodovic, recently resigned. [Wiki]

I can't find any ties to the Mormon Church whatever
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealThing Wrote:^The Salt Lake Tribune filed Chapter 11 reorganization bankruptcy in Jan. 2010. These days the Salt Lake Tribune is owned by the MediaNews Group, based in Denver, Colorado, and is one of the largest newspaper companies in the United States. It is privately owned and operates 56 daily newspapers in 12 states, with combined daily and Sunday circulation of approximately 2.4 million and 2.7 million, respectively. The company also owns KTVA, a CBS affiliate in Anchorage, Alaska, and radio stations in Texas.

The company's executive board chairman is co-founder William Dean Singleton, previously CEO. MediaNews' other founder, Richard Scudder, served as the chairman from 1985 to 2009. The former president, Jody Lodovic, recently resigned. [Wiki]

I can't find any ties to the Mormon Church whatever.
Me neither. I just wanted to give RV a chance to admit his mistake or substantiate his assertion. Confusednicker:
Wouldn't surprise me if the Chinese didn't own it, since they are strong supporters of dear leader.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Who is the Mormon who owns the newspaper? You would not simply assume that the paper is owned by a Mormon because it is based in Utah, would you?
I can't track down where The Desert News doesn't still own a part of it.

Quote:The Deseret News is a newspaper published in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States, and is Utah's oldest continuously published daily newspaper. It has the second largest daily circulation in the state behind The Salt Lake Tribune. The Deseret News is owned by Deseret News Publishing Company, a subsidiary of Deseret Management Corporation, which is a for-profit business holdings company owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The newspaper is printed by Newspaper Agency Corporation, which it co-owns with the MediaNews Group-owned newspaper The Salt Lake Tribune under a joint operating agreement. As of 2006, combined circulation of the two papers was 151,422.[3]
The Deseret News also publishes a weekly tabloid-sized insert, the Church News, and the Mormon Times insert, both of which are included in the newspaper (in the Saturday and the Thursday editions, respectively); the two inserts are also distributed as a separate publication outside of Utah. Church News includes news of the LDS Church and has been published since 1931,[4] while the Mormon Times is about "the people, faith and culture associated with the church".[5] Since 1974 the Deseret News has also published the Church Almanac, an annual edition carrying LDS Church facts and statistics edited by Church News staff.
The editorial tone of the Deseret News is usually described as moderate to conservative, and is often assumed to reflect the values of its owner, the LDS Church. For example, the newspaper does not accept advertising that violates church standards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deseret_News
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Me neither. I just wanted to give RV a chance to admit his mistake or substantiate his assertion. Confusednicker:
Trace it, and you might find out that I might not be wrong, better yet, just look above.
The Orlando paper has endorsed Romney...
TheRealVille Wrote:Trace it, and you might find out that I might not be wrong, better yet, just look above.
Is that your final answer? I am once again giving you multiple chances to correct your own "mistake." You should know by now that I do not ask you questions unless I already know the answers. Confusednicker:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:The Orlando paper has endorsed Romney...
There seems to be a lot of former Obama supporters jumping aboard the Romney bandwagon. I have noticed that Obama's most enthusiastic talking pointer on BGR now says that he doesn't really care who wins the election. It reminds me of The Fox and the Grapes fable. Strange things begin to happen when a campaign crashes into the rock of reality. :popcorn:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:There seems to be a lot of former Obama supporters jumping aboard the Romney bandwagon. I have noticed that Obama's most enthusiastic talking pointer on BGR now says that he doesn't really care who wins the election. It reminds me of The Fox and the Grapes fable. Strange things begin to happen when a campaign crashes into the rock of reality. :popcorn:

Truth destroys lies, like light dispels the darkness.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Is that your final answer? I am once again giving you multiple chances to correct your own "mistake." You should know by now that I do not ask you questions unless I already know the answers. Confusednicker:

Would that RV could deal with others in such gracious terms.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
As of today, the the Utah projections has Romney winning by a 39% margin, so no one in Utah must have read the incredibly respected newspaper Wink

http://www.electionprojection.com/2012el...s/ut12.php

The Tennessean (of Nashville) and the Orlando Sentinel both endorsed Mitt Romney after going for Obama in 2008, so, I'll take YOUR one newspaper endorsement and give you MY two......
Hoot Gibson Wrote:There seems to be a lot of former Obama supporters jumping aboard the Romney bandwagon. I have noticed that Obama's most enthusiastic talking pointer on BGR now says that he doesn't really care who wins the election. It reminds me of The Fox and the Grapes fable. Strange things begin to happen when a campaign crashes into the rock of reality. :popcorn:
Neither can hurt me, so yes, win or lose, I could care less. My hopes are not pinned on a hotdog stand for retirement.
Tic tock..
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Tic tock..
That's what I'd say if were in your shoes when I retired. I'll take sauce, mustard, and onion on my dog.
TheRealVille Wrote:That's what I'd say if were in your shoes when I retired. I'll take sauce, mustard, and onion on my dog.
You seen to be obsessed with hot dog stands today, RV. Cheer up, the campaign will be over soon. About the Salt Lake Tribune, how's your research going? Have you figured our that the Mormons don't own it yet or do you need more time?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You seen to be obsessed with hot dog stands today, RV. Cheer up, the campaign will be over soon. About the Salt Lake Tribune, how's your research going? Have you figured our that the Mormons don't own it yet or do you need more time?
You were the one that said your plans were to save up and but a hotdog stand when you retire, not me. I'm going to be kicked back in Florida. I hope you aren't depending on social security and medicare, if your boy get's in.
TheRealVille Wrote:The leading Mormon newspaper endorses Obama. That should tell you something. Even they, a mormon owned paper, know he flip flops like the wind. :hilarious:

Another source.

When Romney changes a position, it is said that he "flip flops". When Kardashian changes a position (like homosexual marriage), it is said he "evolves".
Harry Rex Vonner Wrote:When Romney changes a position, it is said that he "flip flops". When Kardashian changes a position (like homosexual marriage), it is said he "evolves".
I've only heard him take one position on that. Feel free to post any links you know of.
TheRealVille Wrote:I've only heard him take one position on that. Feel free to post any links you know of.

"President Barack Obama voiced support for gay marriage in an interview with ABC News today, the third time he has changed his stance on the issue in his political career."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...nions.html
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
TheRealVille Wrote:You were the one that said your plans were to save up and but a hotdog stand when you retire, not me. I'm going to be kicked back in Florida. I hope you aren't depending on social security and medicare, if your boy get's in.
I think you are confusing me with somebody else. The only reference to a hot dog stand that I recall making was when I said that Obama could not run one. However, if one enjoys people, has the patience, and understands capitalism, I don't see anything wrong with opening a hot dog stand. One is not my future, however.
You cant own a hot dog stand, only the government builds those.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I think you are confusing me with somebody else. The only reference to a hot dog stand that I recall making was when I said that Obama could not run one. However, if one enjoys people, has the patience, and understands capitalism, I don't see anything wrong with opening a hot dog stand. One is not my future, however.

LOL, I wondered what he was talking about, thought I missed your post with your retirement plans or something.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:You cant own a hot dog stand, only the government builds those.
:thatsfunn It is probably very tough to make ends meet by running a hot dog stand these days. Of course, we could always apply for one of those multi-million dollar Obama green energy grants and name our company something like Solar Sausages.

Then, we make some big donations to retire Obama's campaign debt, pay ourselves a couple of million per year salary, file bankruptcy, and leave the taxpayers to "foot" the bill. It is a sound business plan that worked for Solyndra and other big Obama donors.
TheRealThing Wrote:LOL, I wondered what he was talking about, thought I missed your post with your retirement plans or something.
I don't think so. If RV can point me to a post where I outlined a plan to retire as a hot dog vendor, then I will gladly admit to my lapse of memory.
LOL can you think for yourself TRV?
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I don't think so. If RV can point me to a post where I outlined a plan to retire as a hot dog vendor, then I will gladly admit to my lapse of memory.
Did you, or did you not say once you wanted to save up and buy a hot dog cart, or not?
TheRealVille Wrote:I can't track down where The Desert News doesn't still own a part of it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deseret_News
Time's up, RV. The Deseret News owns no part of the Salt Lake Tribune. Nor has it ever owned the Salt Lake Tribune. In fact, the SLT was originally founded out of a protest over the LDS's leadership's influence over state government. U.S. Senator (and a Roman Catholic) Thomas Kearnes bought the Salt Lake Tribune with a partner in 1901 and his family still owns the controlling interest in the newspaper company.

The fact that the LDS-owned newspaper, Deseret News, and the Salt Lake Tribune entered into a joint operating agreement in 1952 to reduce some of their operating costs does not mean that the Mormons own the Salt Lake Tribune. The Mormon-owned newspaper, Deseret News, did not endorse Barack Obama and they will not be endorsing him in the future.

The two newspapers are not owned by a common company and each paper has its own staff of reporters and editorial staffs. The joint operating agreement applies only to areas such as ads, circulation, and physical printing of the newspapers.

Your statement that the Salt Lake Tribune was a Mormon-owned newspaper was untrue and you refused to admit your mistake when I challenged you to either back up your claim or admit that you were mistaken. You misrepresented the facts in such a way that implied that the Mormon church had turned its back on Romney in Utah. Nothing could be further from the truth.

[INDENT]
Quote:MediaOne of Utah was incorporated in 1952 — then as Newspaper Agency Corporation — as the joint advertising, circulation and production arm of The Salt Lake Tribune and Deseret News, Utah’s largest daily newspapers. Since then, MediaOne’s portfolio has grown to include magazines, niche publications, websites, mobile applications, events, direct-mail solutions, delivery services, printing services, creative services and real estate — with a combined reach of more than 1 million people in Utah every week.
[/INDENT]

[INDENT]
Quote:The Deseret News (http://www.deseretnews.com) is the first news organization and the longest continuously-operating business in the state of Utah. Owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, The Deseret News offers news, information, commentary, and analysis from an award-winning and experienced team of reporters, editors, columnists, and bloggers. Its mission is to be a leading news brand for faith and family oriented audiences in Utah and around the world.
[/INDENT]
TheRealVille Wrote:Did you, or did you not say once you wanted to save up and buy a hot dog cart, or not?
Did I? You should be able to point to the post in which I made the comment if that is your recollection. Did I ever say such a thing or are you just making things up again? Unless you can find the post, then I suggest that you admit your mistake and move on. I have no plans to open a hot dog stand and have never had such a plan. So, let's see the post in which I left you with that impression.