Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rick Pitino stands alone
Rick Pitino became the only coach to win National Championships with 2 different NCAA teams. Even more amazing the schools are less than an hour apart.

Does this make him the best coach in the State of Kentucky?
State of Kentucky? Are you serious? He's one of the all-time top 5 coaches in America why limit him to one state?
I hope he goes and stands alone for a long long time.
Mountaineer Man Wrote:State of Kentucky? Are you serious? He's one of the all-time top 5 coaches in America why limit him to one state?

I understand that. I was trying to draw some Calapari comparison.
Until Calipari wins another one Pitino is better. In a few months the love feat will subside. More than likely after next season Calipari will be getting the praise just like this time last year. Face it. We are a what have you done recently society.
He is just an amazing coach.
Puts him up there with Knight, Wooden, Coach K and Dean.
Did it what will soon be called the old fashion way: Best player was a senior captain. Most of key contributors were upperclassmen. MVP was someone who won't go to pros. And a walk on was a major factor in getting them to finals.
Quicky Ricky is an awesome coach. No doubt about it. IMO, he's one of the greatest ever. I wonder how many he would have won by now if he had stayed at UK?
As a coach I think this season right here puts him on a totally different level than Cal. I mean he has no lottery picks and Reall only one potential draft pick. Cal needs 5 first round draft picks to do what Coach P done this season. Now Cal is the best recruiter ever, one cant deny that. I still dont believe he does it legally but thats just my Opinion. Regardless the state of KY has 2 terrific programs. One way or another the state will have the title 3 years in a row. Can we get a 30for30 made for this???
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
IAJ
"IT'S ALL JESUS"
There is no way anyone can say that Pitino is not one of top 5 NCAA coaches ever!!!
IMO if he never leaves UK they would have over took UCLA with the most championship..
Love him or hate him the man can coach and get the job done!!
In no order: Coach K, John Wooden, Adolph Rupp, Bobby Knight, Jim Calhoun, Rick Pitino, Roy Williams, Dean Smith, Denny Crum.

Feel free to pick a top 5 from that list. Love them or hate them John Wooden, Coach K, Adolph Rupp and Dean Smith have to be four of the five. After them a handful of coaches can be #5.
Best coach in the state. Roy Kidd!!!
If you are talking best coaches ever in the state.
theVILLE Wrote:As a coach I think this season right here puts him on a totally different level than Cal. I mean he has no lottery picks and Reall only one potential draft pick. Cal needs 5 first round draft picks to do what Coach P done this season. Now Cal is the best recruiter ever, one cant deny that. I still dont believe he does it legally but thats just my Opinion. Regardless the state of KY has 2 terrific programs. One way or another the state will have the title 3 years in a row. Can we get a 30for30 made for this???

Are you not aware of the 96 team pitino won with.

As for the 5 draft picks. Teague, lamb, and miller never see the floor. They was drafted because they won a title. Which amazes me.
I was meaning in his time at UL. He has won what he has with very little talent. If a player has it in them, he will get it out of them. I dont agree with geting drafted because you win a championship either. Very stupid if you ask me!
Miller and Lamb both see significant playing time this year.
I liken Pitino to an Izzo.
Will coach 30 or 40 years, win a lot of games, and only have one or two championships to show for it.

IMHO, thats not success. I feel if your going to coach for 30 years you should be in the 7-8 range when your coaching powerhouse schools.
I think Cal will get three or four, which for 30 years isnt that good either, so in all, every coach can be considered a failure for the most part.
Lets not forget the early bow outs. Peyton Siva has more to do with this championship than pitino. He lost in 97 with the best team he ever had. Has perennially struggled against cal's team especially cal has been at UK. And lost to a morehead state team that had 1 player that was equal to the talent level he had. Rick is a good coach but lets not put him as best in the world. Cal is breaking all his records at UK and has had mostly success against Rick. Hell even this years cats only lost by 3 at The Chicken Bucket. So it's arguable at best if he is even best in the state let alone country. He deserves his hall of fame and all cards fans should be proud of this title but one could name a bunch of coaches all time better than pitino.
The 1997 team was very good, but no way the best team he ever had. They had lost Delk, Pope, Walker and McCarty from the year before and didn't have Jeff Shepherd playing either since he redshirted that year. No comparison between the 1996 team and this one.
Two win a championship at two different schools is amazing. Here's the ratio; (approx) Wooden won a championship one every 3 years, Coach K. one every 9 years, Rupp one every 10 years, Knight one every 14 years, Pitino one every 14 years, Dean Smith one every 18 years, Cal one every 22 years. So yes, Pitino should be counted amongst the greats.
FBALL Wrote:I hope he goes and stands alone for a long long time.

lol
tomcatfan722000 Wrote:Lets not forget the early bow outs. Peyton Siva has more to do with this championship than pitino. He lost in 97 with the best team he ever had. Has perennially struggled against cal's team especially cal has been at UK. And lost to a morehead state team that had 1 player that was equal to the talent level he had. Rick is a good coach but lets not put him as best in the world. Cal is breaking all his records at UK and has had mostly success against Rick. Hell even this years cats only lost by 3 at The Chicken Bucket. So it's arguable at best if he is even best in the state let alone country. He deserves his hall of fame and all cards fans should be proud of this title but one could name a bunch of coaches all time better than pitino.

UK and UL games will be under 10 points 90% of the time. Rivalry games are like that
Patch Wrote:The 1997 team was very good, but no way the best team he ever had. They had lost Delk, Pope, Walker and McCarty from the year before and didn't have Jeff Shepherd playing either since he redshirted that year. No comparison between the 1996 team and this one.

march happens. Everyone gets upset. Im not saying this years team was the best he ever had because I know better. Talent wise he had more talent Edgar Sosa and Twill last season. This years group may have been the "most special" to him though. The brotherhood, the heart, the will, the desire to win. This team never gave up. And yes I realize the 96' UK team was better than both this years. But I like the comparison of the 2 teams on defense
theVILLE Wrote:UK and UL games will be under 10 points 90% of the time. Rivalry games are like that

But what about when cal was at UMass and Memphis?
Steve Kuberski Wrote:Two win a championship at two different schools is amazing. Here's the ratio; (approx) Wooden won a championship one every 3 years, Coach K. one every 9 years, Rupp one every 10 years, Knight one every 14 years, Pitino one every 14 years, Dean Smith one every 18 years, Cal one every 22 years. So yes, Pitino should be counted amongst the greats.

I'm gonna love when cal wins one next year and everyone says he's a great recruiter but not a great coach.
theVILLE Wrote:march happens. Everyone gets upset. Im not saying this years team was the best he ever had because I know better. Talent wise he had more talent Edgar Sosa and Twill last season. This years group may have been the "most special" to him though. The brotherhood, the heart, the will, the desire to win. This team never gave up. And yes I realize the 96' UK team was better than both this years. But I like the comparison of the 2 teams on defense

Yes march happens but it seems there are two HOF coaches it happens to more right now. Coach K and Coach Pitino. Pitino is not that great of a coach he made his name at UK off OF NBA TALENT and at Louisville has been mediocre and this year they were the best team in the weakest field of college basketball in 20 years. Not one NBA Star was playing in this tournament anywhere. Remember UK's Most painful loss in history happened because Rick didnt think to guard the inbounds man. I'm sorry but I'm just not buying pitino as a top 20 all time coach cause he won a title with arguably the best talent ever assembled and then again in a year where college basketball was so down Wichita State was the best team he played.
I want to see your top 20 then.
To be honest, Florida Gulf Coast was the best team in this years tourney, plus least watched tourney since 87, backs up this was the weakest one in 15 years theory. Rick is good, but top 5 of all time? No way. Top 20 yea. He's had more talented teams at Louisville but didn't win it. You put this team in any other year and they would be lucky to get to the final four, let alone win a title. That's not a knock, just the facts. Great coach, just not top 5 in my book.

Mix1...