Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pulaski County 49 Russell County 21
Maroons pick up the big win.
Pulaski has a really good team. We have work to do, but can still have a good season.
Congratulations to the PC crowd. Complete domination in the second half. Russell County had no answer for the passing game. Nice team and a good showing. Number 11 was a beast all night and an excellent game by PC quarterback. Nice win.
WOW! PC is for real. This is scary.
All I read in the pre game thread was pc couldn't move the ball against the laker defense and pc couldn't contend with Russell's speed. Well I think we know that that could and did.

Good win pc think everyone will now know you guys a the real deal!!
Ouch. I took Pulaski County in this one but wow. Russell County still has a good team. I know I wouldn't want to play them.
Maroons continue with delivery Emergency Room Afternoons.
Very nice win for the Maroons, congrats!
I called PC being good.
Been saying it since i seen them last year.

PC will challenge HC for that region crown unless MS or North pulls an upset somewhere along the way.
Pulaski County has a very good team that will only get better the next couple of years. #11 was a beast all game. This could very well be one of the top 2-3 teams in 5A. Russell County is still a top 10 4A team, but just didn't have enough studs to keep up with the Maroons in the 3rd. The Lakers are too reliant on Ellis' play making ability. He had an awesome game and I believe was on the field for every play of the game. They really need a couple of the young players to step up and carry some of the load. It's just too hard to beat a good team if they know there's a 90% chance that your QB is going to hand the ball off or run it himself.
It's just too hard to beat a good team if they know there's a 90% chance that your QB is going to hand the ball off or run it himself.
As wiseguy85 put it, that is the definition of 1 dimensional.
Maroons are very good. This shaping up as one of the more competitive districts in the state. PC, North and Madison Southern are all good,
I said in the prediction thread that Pulaski would pull away in the second half and win big 42-14...I had the scenario and the margin exactly right. Big win for the Maroons.
Tough loss for the lakers ,congrats to Pulaski,I knew last season when they played Russell county to a 28 to 14 game they were going to be a force to be reconed with.Russell has a buy week next week and needs to kinda go back to the drawing board a little bit after being shell shocked in the third quarter last night,you can only ride a horse so long till hes wore out gotta have some more plays outta more people we are to one demionsial its true .,congrats Pulaski on big win,keep your head up lakers were gonna be alright,go back to work and get ready for district play soon.Good to play teams like pc in non district helps you learn,ANCHOR DOWN boys, GO BIG BLUE.
rc58 Wrote:Tough loss for the lakers ,congrats to Pulaski,I knew last season when they played Russell county to a 28 to 14 game they were going to be a force to be reconed with.Russell has a buy week next week and needs to kinda go back to the drawing board a little bit after being shell shocked in the third quarter last night,you can only ride a horse so long till hes wore out gotta have some more plays outta more people we are to one demionsial its true .,congrats Pulaski on big win,keep your head up lakers were gonna be alright,go back to work and get ready for district play soon.Good to play teams like pc in non district helps you learn,ANCHOR DOWN boys, GO BIG BLUE.

If RC can get the turnover-bug under control they will be ok. I do not think they have been stopped as much as they have turned the ball over. Discipline, discipline, and more discipline.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

If you watch the game Pulaski FORCED every one of those turnovers. Hard hitting, rallying to the football, pressure on the QB & being disciplined on defense is what caused those turnovers. Yes, PC stopped Russell County. Russell is a very good team ,they just ran into a much better team last night.
I was impressed with the arm on Ellis, when he had time to throw it. That is an area of the game RC can improve on as the season progresses.
Forever Maroon Wrote:If you watch the game Pulaski FORCED every one of those turnovers. Hard hitting, rallying to the football, pressure on the QB & being disciplined on defense is what caused those turnovers. Yes, PC stopped Russell County. Russell is a very good team ,they just ran into a much better team last night.
I was impressed with the arm on Ellis, when he had time to throw it. That is an area of the game RC can improve on as the season progresses.

No doubt that the physical play from PC helped create the turnovers, but the Lakers have been too loose with the ball all season.

The problem with Ellis at QB is even though he's capable of delivering the ball, he is a much more potent receiver and we don't seem to have another stepping up. So, it's not so much that the Lakers are one dimensional, it's that with Ellis at QB and Fletcher in the backfield the defense can still load the box and and bring the heat because all of our real threats are in the backfield.....we don't really have another go to receiver. We really need Smiddy to step up at QB which will free Ellis to move around on the field and make keep the defense on its heels a bit more.

What we're doing now will work against the weaker teams because of Ellis' and Fletcher's talent, but it's not going to work against the better teams. The sad thing is we'll probably keep on keeping on and possibly win out on the regular season, but as soon as we face a descent team in the playoffs we'll have the same result as last night.
I am not sure if no one is stepping up or if they are not getting the opportunity. Cox played well last night and caught at least 3 good balls. Both Fletchers and Short caught passes too. I think we need to force ourselves to develop the passing game more. We can probably win the rest of the games on our schedule without it but come playoff time we will need to be able to pass.
PreacherVol71 Wrote:I am not sure if no one is stepping up or if they are not getting the opportunity. Cox played well last night and caught at least 3 good balls. Both Fletchers and Short caught passes too. I think we need to force ourselves to develop the passing game more. We can probably win the rest of the games on our schedule without it but come playoff time we will need to be able to pass.

Confident are we.
insideinfo Wrote:Confident are we.

Not so much confident, but a really weak schedule.
PreacherVol71 Wrote:I am not sure if no one is stepping up or if they are not getting the opportunity. Cox played well last night and caught at least 3 good balls. Both Fletchers and Short caught passes too. I think we need to force ourselves to develop the passing game more. We can probably win the rest of the games on our schedule without it but come playoff time we will need to be able to pass.

I agree with this. In order for Russell to improve, they have to trust those other guys on the field. I was impressed with ellis's delivery and the catching ability of the receivers. need to trust them more, throw more early. Establish the pass, even if it is just the short game. Make it a threat. Then you control the box. Then Fletcher and Ellis will have more running room. Plus it keeps the banging off those 2. They are tough kids but they shouldn't have to prove it every night.
Ellis is a great runner and athlete but not yet a good passer. But how could he be, he's not played QB since before high school? His first instinct is to tuck and run. And being such a great athlete who could blame him. To get the ball to cox , who is really fast, on more screens and quick slants could help Ellis. He has a huge tight end and a very capable younger Fletcher. At times he must scramble with the determination to pass instead of to tuck and run. The poor young man took a beating Friday night.
The maroons a for real, they will not only win the district but also the region, yes I like Harlan but I think Pulaski is has more offensive weapons
It's hard to step up if your not given the chance! Smiddy has the talent to QB this team. I love this coaching staff and I respect their decisions, but I feel we should have played Smiddy more at QB earlier in the year, against the weaker teams. This would have given him and Blake the chance to workout timing issues and build confidence. Smiddy is not as good of a runner as Blake, but he can run well when needed. He has the arm strength and will to run the offense. Blake is a good QB but he is a better receiver! Go Lakers!
I agree totally big brown ,it is hard to step up when you don't get the chance.I do think that Smiddy needs to be the starter at qb,Ellis aint gonna finish the season with many more nights like that ,he was taking a beating they just need to find away to get him the ball in other ways .I figured with Ellis coming in to coach the offense we would be more balanced ,hasn't happened We definetley need more balance or we will get know where come playoffs.I really think they need to make the switch at, qb and try to get more balanced for Adair and the rest of the teams they face the zone read is a good play but not every play need to take #10 off the field and put someone out there that's not so soft.
rc58 Wrote:I agree totally big brown ,it is hard to step up when you don't get the chance.I do think that Smiddy needs to be the starter at qb,Ellis aint gonna finish the season with many more nights like that ,he was taking a beating they just need to find away to get him the ball in other ways .I figured with Ellis coming in to coach the offense we would be more balanced ,hasn't happened We definetley need more balance or we will get know where come playoffs.I really think they need to make the switch at, qb and try to get more balanced for Adair and the rest of the teams they face the zone read is a good play but not every play need to take #10 off the field and put someone out there that's not so soft.

Although I agree with many things you say. I see no point in calling out a high school player on here for being soft. Especially a sophomore.
Someone needs to teach Ellis to sell his fakes on the read plays when he actually hands it to Fletcher. He put Fletcher on a tee for Pulaski's defense by simply turning to watch the play after the hand off. It happened numerous times. If he sells it better and fakes the keep, the middle should open up at least a little more. Fletcher's a good back, but you have to give him a chance. I think Smiddy would be a decent option at QB with a little work. He never had a chance against Pulaski because of the target that was already on his back from his Southern Middle/Southwestern days in that rivalry. He may do a good job against Russell County's weaker schedule from here on out. Good luck to the Lakers the rest of the way.
So excited for the Maroons' future. Best of luck to Russell rest of the year.