Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Christmas Classic in Somerset
Attended this morning and Southern was playing.
This is a awesome team with or without their Varsity players but when they find out the varsity players can't play the rest of tourney they withdrawal from tourney. I am sorry but so not classy!
I honestly can say I have never heard of varsity players still playing middle school. If I had a child not getting to play due to this selfish act I would be looking for a new coach. So sad this is happening again in a PC school.
You don't ever need to make 3 or 4 players feel like they are better than everyone else on the team. It takes a whole team to win a game and Southern is going to take away the respect people have for their great team. First by turning their own against them and than by the selfishness with the players that do start. Sure hope they lose some of the cocky in their attitudes as well.
who is left and who will be fav to win it?
i hate that for the kids an parents! worried that winning streak will come to a end. sad day when you have to pull your team out! good luck to the other young men that give there time an effort! keep your heads up...with the holdback rule going into effect next year we'll see if the coach hangs around very long
The coach isn't going anywhere.
basketballdad Wrote:Attended this morning and Southern was playing.
This is a awesome team with or without their Varsity players but when they find out the varsity players can't play the rest of tourney they withdrawal from tourney. I am sorry but so not classy!
I honestly can say I have never heard of varsity players still playing middle school. If I had a child not getting to play due to this selfish act I would be looking for a new coach. So sad this is happening again in a PC school.
You don't ever need to make 3 or 4 players feel like they are better than everyone else on the team. It takes a whole team to win a game and Southern is going to take away the respect people have for their great team. First by turning their own against them and than by the selfishness with the players that do start. Sure hope they lose some of the cocky in their attitudes as well.

Are you saying that because a couple of kids was not going to be able to play they drop out so they would not get beat? If this is the case I can't believe the parents are putting up with this,and I can't belief a high school coach would allow kids to keep playing middle school ball if they are on the high school team. If this is happening you are getting ready to see some fireworks.
insideinfo Wrote:Are you saying that because a couple of kids was not going to be able to play they drop out so they would not get beat? If this is the case I can't believe the parents are putting up with this,and I can't belief a high school coach would allow kids to keep playing middle school ball if they are on the high school team. If this is happening you are getting ready to see some fireworks.

Yes this happen. A couple of kids, the varsity players, were unable to play later in the day so after their pool play games they dropped out of the tournament.

PLease, correct me if I'm wrong.. Wasn't Southern the host of the tournament? As if it's not already a sad thing to do, that only makes matters worse.
Not making excuses, but all 5 starters play on the high school team. One starts, two play major minutes and two play when needed. There are three more that play JV and freshman also I believe.
KarnivalKat Wrote:Yes this happen. A couple of kids, the varsity players, were unable to play later in the day so after their pool play games they dropped out of the tournament.

PLease, correct me if I'm wrong.. Wasn't Southern the host of the tournament? As if it's not already a sad thing to do, that only makes matters worse.

What high school do they play for? They dropped out of there own tournament?
Warrior Grandpa Wrote:Not making excuses, but all 5 starters play on the high school team. One starts, two play major minutes and two play when needed. There are three more that play JV and freshman also I believe.

They all play?. As for Jv/Fresh it was just Varsity on Saturday, right? Therefore they didn't miss anything other than valuable experience that would've benefited the other players down the road. Nonetheless it was a bad gesture & would've been a huge letdown for the other players..

Inside: Southwestern
KarnivalKat Wrote:They all play?. As for Jv/Fresh it was just Varsity on Saturday, right? Therefore they didn't miss anything other than valuable experience that would've benefited the other players down the road. Nonetheless it was a bad gesture & would've been a huge letdown for the other players..

Inside: Southwestern
This all makes no since to me. Then I see who the high school coach is and things start clearing up. Just wait there is implosion coming and it will be good.
I talked to one of the players tonite. he plays 8th but not one of the 5 that plays varsity. He told me that they wasnt even suppose to be in the tourny. they was asked to play some pool play games to help out and that was it.
ky playmaker Wrote:I talked to one of the players tonite. he plays 8th but not one of the 5 that plays varsity. He told me that they wasnt even suppose to be in the tourny. they was asked to play some pool play games to help out and that was it.
I don't think that is true because the tournament brackets were set up with them as participants . They had to redo the brackets after pool play.
I do know that southern had dropped out as off about 2 weeks ago. shannon had called me and told me they had dropped and asked if I knew any body over this way that would fill their spot. My nephew told me the rest.
My Grandson, is a non starter and they knew going in they were only playing two games. None of the players he knows was upset by it,so the implosion maybe a while coming.
I knew as well that they were only playing their pool games.

However, that doesnt change the fact that nothing would've hurt them to play in the tournament. It comes down to not wanting to play without the varsity players or w.e they are. And at the end of the day those few that get minutes every game at the Varsity level shouldn't even be playing middle school, there's nothing to gain from it really..
I agree with you that I feel they have no business playing 8th grade but at the same time they are not my kids and not my choice. I do know that when my boy was in 8th he did not want to give up his 8th grade year.
First off Southern wasnt the host. The tournament was conducted by the Youth Basketball League.

2nd of all Southern was going to drop out all together, but was ask to play in the pool play.

I initially agreed with most of you all, and thought they should of played the tournament round game with the players that usually dont get to play. However, to my suprise, I was informed by a parent of one of these players, that they ( the players) told the coach that they wanted to withdraw.

It is my understanding that this team is like 91-0 in middle school and it was more important to the team members to keep that streak in tact than to lose it by playing in a christmas tournament.

So like it or hate it, there was more to the story than meets the eye.
The implosion want come the kids it will be from mommies mad that little Johnny not getting to play. Is this the same team that best Corbin something like 75-5 because Corbin best two eight graders play high school ball and they don't let 7th grader play up.
I would be ashamed to let these boys play 8th grade ball if they play varsity at all. I can think of lots of teams that have players that play varsity and coaches would never let them play both. It seems bad enough to let one kid do it but a whole team? What a joke!!
It would be nice to see other teams put their 8th graders back in the game that play varsity and watch them get beat!
I don't think any other coaches and teams would be so nasty, selfish,un tasteful, dirty, rude and whatever word fits.
In my book they r losers for allowing the kids to do this!
Shame on the coaches!!
No one blames a cocky bunch of boys for acting the way they are being taught to act.
Shame Shame Shame
It's a free country, you have your opinion and that's fine. If they were the only one doing so it maybe different, but they are not. A very good Wayne Co team has Four that also play up,know body is crying about them. Would it have made you feel better if you had beaten a team with half their players gone or is it just about getting even with the EVIL Warriors of Southern Pulaski...Any ways I'm done with this thread. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE BGR AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!
Warrior Grandpa Wrote:It's a free country, you have your opinion and that's fine. If they were the only one doing so it maybe different, but they are not. A very good Wayne Co team has Four that also play up,know body is crying about them. Would it have made you feel better if you had beaten a team with half their players gone or is it just about getting even with the EVIL Warriors of Southern Pulaski...Any ways I'm done with this thread. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL THE BGR AND HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

Wayne co has 4 players on Varsity that start varsity and play 8th grade? I couldn't care less who plays where or when but I have never....in a whole lotta years known any kid starting in a varsity sport play middle school as well.
Wayne has 1 kid who dresses varsity but rarely plays. They have 3 others that play jv. They play middle school first.
Cardfan1 Wrote:Wayne has 1 kid who dresses varsity but rarely plays. They have 3 others that play jv. They play middle school first.

That is clearly not the same as starting varsity and dropping out of middle school tournaments to keep a winning streak in tact. Is the rest of the team that bad that they can't win without them? They certainly are in 8th grade and have every right to play MS, I just think people can't figure what's to gain. If your whole middle school starters are also the high school varsity team, I would think most schools are aware they wouldn't likely lose a MS game.
Someone told me a phone call has already been made to KHSAA as well as KBA about Southern.
If we can get enough to boycott this we may be able to get them kicked out of middle school State tourney.
Grandpa, I can't believe you would think this is ok and good sportsmanship.
It's a sad day when a grandpa thinks its ok.
Praying this Christmas that these parents see what they are doing.
Shame Shame Shame
Basketballdad please explain to me exactly what they were reported to KHSAA and KBA for (I.e. what specific rule are they breaking)? Secondly, if you are concerned about the rest of the boys on the team, why would you want them kicked out of the middle school state tournament? KBA has clear age, grade and minimum game participation guidelines to qualify for state and the coaches know these guidelines. What team would want to win KBA state without having to go through Southern? What would you have accomplished? FYI-I do not have a boy playing at SMS (only a daughter in 6th grade).
this has got funny. The boys are in the 8th grade. If they want to play 8th grade why in the world shouldnt they. Only thing I see is I dont understand why the varsity coach allows it
oh and they can call and report all they want. There is no rule against what they are doing
The boys need to play as long as they play middle school only. If they are playing for varsity NO they should not be playing.
I have never heard of such a thing.
I know of other kids that play varsity and their parents laugh if Southern has a team good enough and playing varsity and are still playing middle school.
Hey..... I am not downing the boys that play.... They r awesome but my point is if they r good enough for varsity they should not be playing middle school.
If it's about the championship ring..... Let us give them that and let another team that has no varsity players step up and have a chance.
Do u really think its normal and a fair game if your opponents are losing by 20 to 60?
Do u really think its fair?
You have serious issues if you think anyone cares about playing a bunch of holdbacks. Wayne has a few holdbacks but not the whole team.
The fact is ,ask any other head coach from another school and ask them if boys play middle school and start or play varsity consistently should play?
oh out comes the ole holdback thing. If you want to make it all fair maybe every player should be the same size and strength to not get an advantage. that would be fair. or maybe dont keep score let all the kidos leave winners. sounds fair. lmbo your killing me. 8th grade kids can play 8th grade basketball no matter how good or bad a player they are. geez
If they qualify as to age and grade then yes, it is fair. Players who work hard and get better and have some success are expected to apologize for being good. Teams should not have to feel bad about winning. As far as kids playing both, if you look at KHSAA rosters, there are more teams than not in the 12th region with 8th graders on the high school roster. Not sure how many still play middle school, but they are within their right to do both.