Bruner NL
Massingale - Harlan Co

Fr
Brock - Harlan
Bridges - NL

8th
Green - Middlesboro
Lawson - NL
There is alot of good 8th graders in the region. taylor cromer at south laurel, madison shepard at north may be as good as anybody by the time it is all over, abby estes and seirra feltner at whitley can both play and knox has a good bunch
ky playmaker Wrote:There is alot of good 8th graders in the region. taylor cromer at south laurel, madison shepard at north may be as good as anybody by the time it is all over, abby estes and seirra feltner at whitley can both play and knox has a good bunch
Just for the record, Green, Lawson, both Whitley girls and Cromer from South were hold backs in middle school. Not sure about Shepard... Also several girls mentioned in the upper grades are hold backs. I know it is not practical and hard to track, but if we are apples to apples and are going to compare you should really do it by age instead of grade. For instance, Brock (Harlan) and Davis (South) are Freshman, but not hold backs.
shepard is not a holdback but not because mom and dad didnt want her too. lol Hard to go by age cause high school is based on what grade you are in. cromer was held back in elementary, not middle, 3rd grade to be exact and it was for poor grades because of a divorce
taylor is 14 how old are davis and brock. I know most 8th graders are 13-14 with a few with a good birthday being as old as 15
JagNation Wrote:Best couple players by class.....

Srs
Smith Whitley
Wilsons Corbin

Jrs
Cotton Clay
Morris Bell

So
Bruner NL
Massingale - Harlan Co

Fr
Brock - Harlan
Bridges - NL

8th
Green - Middlesboro
Lawson - NL
Of coarse, you left Craig from Whitley Co. off your list. Word has it she is averaging a DOUBLE-DOUBLE so far this season. Do you realize how much talent it takes to do this while being TRIPLE TEAMED every game? And the level of competition Whitley Co. has played (mostly on the road) has been tough. Come on.....give the girl some credit!!! :dudecomeon:
ky playmaker Wrote:taylor is 14 how old are davis and brock. I know most 8th graders are 13-14 with a few with a good birthday being as old as 15
I'm not saying its a bad thing to be held back, especially for non-athletic reasons. Just wanted to make the point that around that age, one year can make a significant difference developmentally. Example, Whitley held back their entire 7th grade team a few years back that lost several games in the region and then turned around the next year and won the KBA state title. Comparing by grade level isn't always what it appears.
funny story. I had a lady text me today and say that she had heard this kid or that kid was holding back in 6th grade and asked if I knew who all it was. she went on to complain and fuss about holdbacks. saying she would never hold one of her kids back for athletic reasons and how stupid it was for them to hold back and not fair. I know this ladies kid he is in 5th grade so you see where she was going with it but the kicker was I asked her what her kids birthday (which I already knew his age just having fun with her at this point) was and guess what he is hold back. amazing
I didn't think Lawson or Sheppard was a hold back. I know Estes is but I love how she is such a smart player. She is already a very heady player. I will say Lawson and Sheppard looked really good for 8th graders tonight against Corbin. Corbin is just so much deeper and was able to pull the 10 point lead at half time to a 30+ lead into the game by a constant press for almost the entire game. I think it's our depth that will be the difference for us in most games. You could tell that the floor was a college floor tonight and it played in our favor. The weakness for us is no post depth. That is what hurt us against clay as Robinson was a hard player for us to guard and drew a lot of attention.
skyhawk14 Wrote:Just for the record, Green, Lawson, both Whitley girls and Cromer from South were hold backs in middle school. Not sure about Shepard... Also several girls mentioned in the upper grades are hold backs. I know it is not practical and hard to track, but if we are apples to apples and are going to compare you should really do it by age instead of grade. For instance, Brock (Harlan) and Davis (South) are Freshman, but not hold backs.

Ive never understood this point, or what I would call an excuse.

Every player in the state can be held back in grade school for pretty much any reason. Whitley has done this hundreds of times with girls bball players but not really in any other sports. The only way to rank players is usually by grade. To say a 14 year old is being cheated because a 15 year old is in the same grade is kind of absurd. The 14 years olds parents had the same opportunity and could have held her back as well.

Not to mention its is 100% legal so long as they don't end up turning 19 before August 1st of there senior year. Ive found a lot of Whitleys girls that were held back had summer birthdays and should have started in the grade they were held back to anyways.
thats the way my girl and one of my boys are will still just be 18 when they graduate
Basketball Wizzard Wrote:Of coarse, you left Craig from Whitley Co. off your list. Word has it she is averaging a DOUBLE-DOUBLE so far this season. Do you realize how much talent it takes to do this while being TRIPLE TEAMED every game? And the level of competition Whitley Co. has played (mostly on the road) has been tough. Come on.....give the girl some credit!!! :dudecomeon:

Im surprised you showed your face after another embarrassing loss to a 12th region team.:lmao::truestory::biglmao::please::Cheerlead
Excuse is a good word.
The only date that matters is not turning 19 before Aug. 1.
Some parents plan ahead and start their children a little later. Some who hold back are still younger than some who don't.
If it's such a big advantage, why aren't parents who are complaining holding theirs back?
skyhawk14 Wrote:Just for the record, Green, Lawson, both Whitley girls and Cromer from South were hold backs in middle school. Not sure about Shepard... Also several girls mentioned in the upper grades are hold backs. I know it is not practical and hard to track, but if we are apples to apples and are going to compare you should really do it by age instead of grade. For instance, Brock (Harlan) and Davis (South) are Freshman, but not hold backs.

I can't figure out what you are saying but through the rule is Age 19 before Aug 1st and your eligible that is all should matter.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Ive never understood this point, or what I would call an excuse.

Every player in the state can be held back in grade school for pretty much any reason. Whitley has done this hundreds of times with girls bball players but not really in any other sports. The only way to rank players is usually by grade. To say a 14 year old is being cheated because a 15 year old is in the same grade is kind of absurd. The 14 years olds parents had the same opportunity and could have held her back as well.

Not to mention its is 100% legal so long as they don't end up turning 19 before August 1st of there senior year. Ive found a lot of Whitleys girls that were held back had summer birthdays and should have started in the grade they were held back to anyways.
No excuse, and never mentioned anyone getting cheated. It is perfectly legal and is justified to do for many reasons. Just saying if you are comparing talent, it is useful to have ages vs grade level. I know on this site and in high school bball discussions in general, grade level is king. However, there is a reason AAU is based on age and not grade level, so talent can be evaluated more accurately and efficiently. I promise you, if you have a college coach trying to decide who to offer between two fairly equal kids and one is a 19 year old senior and the other is a 17 year old senior, the 17 year old gets the nod in most cases. That is my point.... At the end of the day, if holding a kid back is in the best interest of the kid and it helps them develop into a better athlete, in turn, allowing them more time to develop which helps them get a free higher education, that is awesome and warms my heart. However, all of us know of kids who were already well advanced beyond there age level and were still held back by their parents (lots of times against the kids wishes) so the parent can live vicariously through the child and fuel their own need for a higher socio-economic status.
AAU is based on age?
All the tournaments I've seen in the summer are based on high school eligibility.
skyhawk14 Wrote:No excuse, and never mentioned anyone getting cheated. It is perfectly legal and is justified to do for many reasons. Just saying if you are comparing talent, it is useful to have ages vs grade level. I know on this site and in high school bball discussions in general, grade level is king. However, there is a reason AAU is based on age and not grade level, so talent can be evaluated more accurately and efficiently. I promise you, if you have a college coach trying to decide who to offer between two fairly equal kids and one is a 19 year old senior and the other is a 17 year old senior, the 17 year old gets the nod in most cases. That is my point.... At the end of the day, if holding a kid back is in the best interest of the kid and it helps them develop into a better athlete, in turn, allowing them more time to develop which helps them get a free higher education, that is awesome and warms my heart. However, all of us know of kids who were already well advanced beyond there age level and were still held back by their parents (lots of times against the kids wishes) so the parent can live vicariously through the child and fuel their own need for a higher socio-economic status.

My point is if your kids birthday is August 1st, he or she will either be the youngest kid in the grade above, or the oldest kid in the grade below.
There are several kids who are 17 when they graduate. All of the holdbacks have to be 18 at least until that august deadline.
In all seriousness, how many girls are playing that graduate at 19 or almost 19but wasn't held back? Parents send there kids to school late all of the time. Since there never held back, unless you personally know them, you wouldn't know they were old enough to be in the grade ahead, making them the same age as other holdbacks, and yet they were never held back.
I think its pretty white and black. As long as your not 19 before august first, you are good to go, even if you've been held back twice.
As for the AAU thing, im with HDE on that one, I don't remember any girls AAU leagues or teams based on age. To my knowledge its not like you see with boys 17 and under and so on.
The summer AAU tournaments for boys aren't 17 and under etc anymore. They have varsity and JV divisions. As far as I know, if you turn 19 on Aug. 1 or later you are eligible.
^
I didn't even know that much.
I assume the only age and under teams are the traveling teams?
If they are eligible you got to consider them because they are going to play. Holding girls back is not the difference maker in high school that holding boys back is. Girls are often full grown at 14 and don't make those dramatic improvements from 17 to 18 that boys do. It makes for better middle school teams but does not make a significant difference in high school. Some girls get slower as their body changes. Hips and breasts are a pain to run up and down the floor with.
aau is based on grade and age you can be a hold back and still be eligible as long as you are in that grade. The only kid that is not eligible is the kid thats a double hold back with an august birthday and even that kid is eligible in high school aau. college coaches these days are not looking for the 17 year old high school sr that they can develope. It did use to be that way but now they want the kid that is already ready to help his or her program now.
Top players in the 13th region period:

1. Morris
2. Green
3. Smith
4. Brock
5. Massingill
:happysmile: Everytime you say something it makes me laugh! You missed your calling.......
Let's see your list. Don't cut on mine unless you want to post yours. Put up or shut up.
After kids get in high school a kid can either
Play or they can't. If she's 18 on July 31 of her senior
Year that's all that matters. The only people
That talk about it and cry about it on every
Message board are the parents of kids
That can't play. Get over it.
Lilly Wrote:Top players in the 13th region period:

1. Morris
2. Green
3. Smith
4. Brock
5. Massingill

I can tell you this much. If I were to put a starting five on the floor from the 13th it would involve Wilson from Corbin. Morris, Green and Smith are shoe ins IMO.

After that I think both Wilson sisters, especially the scorer is as good as anyone in the region.

If both of them would have stayed at Whitley, I honestly think Whitley would have a legit shot at a state title.
I forgot about the WIlsons. yes they should be included.

but I'll stick with the rest of my list for better or worse.
Speaking of 8th graders, Harlan County is UNBELIEVABLY STACKED in this grade.
1.morris
2. Smith
3. Brock
4.m. Wilson
5. Craig

best of rest...

Green
massingill
cotton
sanders
may
erslans
ledford
garnett
enix
gambrel
Basketball Wizzard Wrote::happysmile: Everytime you say something it makes me laugh! You missed your calling.......

Wizzard I am still waiting on your list? Im calling you out.:gtfo: