Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Russell Red Devils a One Man Show?
We all know about Kasey Clark and I believe he deserves every bit of press he gets. But, who else can make plays for the Devils? I don't even know the other running backs names.

Honest/good faith question for the Red Devil fans. Is this team more reliant on one man (Kasey) than the past Russell teams?
LovetheBucs Wrote:We all know about Kasey Clark and I believe he deserves every bit of press he gets. But, who else can make plays for the Devils? I don't even know the other running backs names.

Honest/good faith question for the Red Devil fans. Is this team more reliant on one man (Kasey) than the past Russell teams?

Not really. Although Kasey is the feature back there are several younger ones that are capable of making big plays. Tyler Jones is dangerous on the keeper. Nick Lewis, Daryl Wells, Aaron Beekman, David Bailey, Josh Hopper and Drew Abrams have all gained decent yardage for limited playing time. Basically Kasey can get the job done but key on him and we have several that can move the ball.
I was at "The game" last year between Belfry and Russell and I have alot of respect for the Red Devils . I think they have a classy program BUT they were very lucky to come out with a win last year we know it and they know it. If both teams advance to the Semis (I think they will) you will find out Clark is a great back but he is only one guy. Belfry will be on him like ugly on an ape. We have 3 impressive backs and a great quarterback. Its gonna be a WAR in Death Valley
No, they are not a one man show. Clark is without a doubt the main man but there is alot of talent besides him.

Nick Lewis RB/CB and Jacob Sizemore E/S are both injured but hopefully can return for the playoffs. Both played pivotal roles last season and were going to be counted on as a big part of the offense this year.

Tyler Jones QB/DE. Would excel at RB if not for the need at QB. Started at DE as a sophmore last season. Has a good arm and runs like a FB. Picture Dustin May playing QB.

Marcus Frazier E/CB. Very quick reciever. Big play ability and a threat anywhere on the field.

Josh Wills may be the heart of this team. A returning starter at G and LB.

Josh Beekman RB/LB, Daryl Wells FB/DE, Ethan Gullet C/DL, Toby Hicks OL, and Seth Harvey DL are some of the other key players.

Also Dwaine Evans is a very good kicker. A big part of the team.
Pirate4Life Wrote:I was at "The game" last year between Belfry and Russell and I have alot of respect for the Red Devils . I think they have a classy program BUT they were very lucky to come out with a win last year we know it and they know it. If both teams advance to the Semis (I think they will) you will find out Clark is a great back but he is only one guy. Belfry will be on him like ugly on an ape. We have 3 impressive backs and a great quarterback. Its gonna be a WAR in Death Valley

Well I was at the game as well. Russell totally dominated the first half. They fell apart the second half. I'm sorry that you think Russell was lucky. But the best team won that night. End of story!As for being on Kasey like ugly on an ape. It didn't work last year so what makes you think it will be any different this year. Keep in mind what I posted earlier. Key on Kasey and get burned by the others. As for a QB we are ranked in the top 10 in the state in passing this year. Stop the run and deal with the pass.

I certainly hope that both teams make it to the semis. But like any other year the best team that particular day will win the game and advance to state. No excuses.
FBALL Wrote:Josh Beekman RB/LB,

While Josh would be a wonderful addition to the team Aaron is the one playing this year.Confusedhh:

While we are adding past players in there what would be the chances of sneaking #25 back in there. Help me out FBALL what was his name?Smile
Midee1 Wrote:While Josh would be a wonderful addition to the team Aaron is the one playing this year.Confusedhh:

While we are adding past players in there what would be the chances of sneaking #25 back in there. Help me out FBALL what was his name?Smile

oops.. He plays alot like Josh though.:moon:
Pirate4Life Wrote:I was at "The game" last year between Belfry and Russell and I have alot of respect for the Red Devils . I think they have a classy program BUT they were very lucky to come out with a win last year we know it and they know it. If both teams advance to the Semis (I think they will) you will find out Clark is a great back but he is only one guy. Belfry will be on him like ugly on an ape. We have 3 impressive backs and a great quarterback. Its gonna be a WAR in Death Valley

Russell may have been lucky to escape with the win. On the other hand Belfry was lucky not to be down 35-0 at the half with no chance of comming back.
Just want to reiterate that this post was made in good faith. I just remember in 03 when Russell came to Belfry they had a back over 2000 yds and another (Clark) well over 1000. That team had two KNOWN weapons. If you guys say that Russell is not a one man show, I believe you. I just hadn't heard of any other Devils necessarily making a name for themself.

Belfry vs Russell is in my mind, and probably the the minds of both school's FANS (not players before someone posts that crap) but I have a feeling Middlesboro is quietly waiting in the wings to explode in the 3rd round.

So Russell has more than one way to beat it's opponents. I believe and can live with that. Hopefully the Pirates do their job, Russell does their job, and the Semi's are played in the EK coal field late Novemeber.
FBALL Wrote:Russell may have been lucky to escape with the win. On the other hand Belfry was lucky not to be down 35-0 at the half with no chance of comming back.

What's the old saying? Somedays i'd rather be lucky than good.

Call it what you want but in the end the score was 20-14 Russell and they went on to play in the State championship game.
Clark is the main weapon in a deadly arsenal. If you overconcentrate on Clark, the rest will kill you. Play too balanced, and Clark will eat you alive.

When it comes to the big clutch play, the ball will be in Kasey's hands (one way or another) 90% of the time.

You have to have a main concentration on Clark, while still being aware, and able to stop the rest of the team.
Welcome to BlueGrassRivals

If you ever have any questions, problems, or comments, contact me at [email=tomcat6868@gmail.com]tomcat6868@gmail.com[/email] or via PM by clicking here [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/finalnewbanner3.png]
LovetheBucs Wrote:Just want to reiterate that this post was made in good faith. I just remember in 03 when Russell came to Belfry they had a back over 2000 yds and another (Clark) well over 1000. That team had two KNOWN weapons. If you guys say that Russell is not a one man show, I believe you. I just hadn't heard of any other Devils necessarily making a name for themself.

Belfry vs Russell is in my mind, and probably the the minds of both school's FANS (not players before someone posts that crap) but I have a feeling Middlesboro is quietly waiting in the wings to explode in the 3rd round.

So Russell has more than one way to beat it's opponents. I believe and can live with that. Hopefully the Pirates do their job, Russell does their job, and the Semi's are played in the EK coal field late Novemeber.

Excellent post!

I've said this several times and some may not agree with me. I honestly believe that in that game Russell was just wore out. The weak district and the fact that both Josh and Kasey seen very limited time after the half in any game led to them being a bit out of shape. Last years team had to play deeper into a lot of games and their conditioning was built up some. No excuses here Belfry just put it to us in 04. 05 now that was a different story.

06 I would love to see a rematch. I would also love to see the winner go and bring the hardware back to the eastern part of the state. Where it belongs.
Tomcat68 Wrote:Clark is the main weapon in a deadly arsenal. If you overconcentrate on Clark, the rest will kill you. Play too balanced, and Clark will eat you alive.

When it comes to the big clutch play, the ball will be in Kasey's hands (one way or another) 90% of the time.

You have to have a main concentration on Clark, while still being aware, and able to stop the rest of the team.

That is a very good summation by someone not associated with either school.:thumpsup:
Tomcat68 Wrote:Clark is the main weapon in a deadly arsenal. If you overconcentrate on Clark, the rest will kill you. Play too balanced, and Clark will eat you alive.

Which Ashland did a pretty good job of. Russell didn't roll over and play dead though. I have to say that was the most interesting game Russell has had this year. I hope it served as a wake up call just like the Boyd Co game last year.
Midee1 Wrote:What's the old saying? Somedays i'd rather be lucky than good.

Call it what you want but in the end the score was 20-14 Russell and they went on to play in the State championship game.

Belfry was a flinch away from bringing back the title..
Showtime_05 Wrote:Belfry was a flinch away from bringing back the title..

Then they shouldn't have flinched...Confusedhh:
I was also at the game we were just out played the first half,we looked terrible couldn't hold on to the ball .Glad to see Russell win it all, if Belfry dont win it all this year,I'll be pulling for Russell.
95% of the time, Even against Morgan and Powell, Klark was pretty much the only name I heard. Either he was runing or catching. Now This was usually in about 2-1/2 0r 3 quarters, He never touched the field in the 4th. His stats could be much greater than even they are, Believe me. If Coach Maglone wanted Clark to have 10 td's in either game he could have.Russell has some other solid players on O, But their not Kasey Clark status this year, Just like Kasey wasn't Josh Gross status couple years ago. Kasey is TREMENDOUS but we seem to forget about how outstanding Russell's defense is. Russell's D is what impresses me and Defense above all else is what wins championships. Their D will knock your head off. I talked to a couple coaches who played Russell last year, First thing both said was how Russell had a couple Backers who'd ring your freakin bell. Offense with Clark and a Defense that will keep Clark on the field.One man show? Have to say no........11 guys on Defense.
While Clark is not a "one man show", Russell would be lost and just above average OFFENSIVELY without him.
Their defense is very impressive.
Red Devil fans, say your prayers nightly that Clark stays healthy.
An injury to Clark could end your season prematurely.
RUSSELL is a system offense........... Kasey is the back this year and last year, before that it was JOSH GROSS...... When Kasey is not in this year, DAVID BAILEY, DREW ABRAMS runs that spot... The system works...the difference is that how muchyouplay or how many carries you get..
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
no not really.It sounds like kasey is the one man show but he is really turned into the face of the red devils now.
No I don't think Russell is a one man team. Kasey is a great athlete and would be sorely missed. We lost Jonathan Cornwell off the defensive line early against Ashland. Lost Sizemore offensive end/safety and Lewis halfback/corner. The guys that have filled in for these young men have stepped in and done a good job. We have also shown that we can pass the ball, think Jones is getting more comfortable in the pocket and on the sprint pass and showing a lot of poise. Also believe that the defense is getting better each week.

As far as last years game with Belfry, We should have been up 28/35-0 at the half. IMO one of the turning points was early in the second half when Russell threw and interception. I think from that point on Russell got way to conservative and started playing not to lose instead of playing to win.
naw,not really
LovetheBucs Wrote:We all know about Kasey Clark and I believe he deserves every bit of press he gets. But, who else can make plays for the Devils? I don't even know the other running backs names.

Kasey is definately the lead back but he's far from the only one Russell has. McGlone has been using a bunch of capable RB this year and I'm sure he'll decide on 1 or 2 before the playoffs start. Josh Hopper is a kid who is not well known and I think that's the way they want it. He's about 6'1 or 6'2 around 190 and he'll flat out hit you. He's tough. Drew Abrahms is also another kid who is big, fast, and strong. Russell has another 4 or so RB who are capable to be that 2nd back. McGlone always has a reason for what he does in the regular season and I think he'll reveal those reasons in the playoffs. I hope teams do think Russell is a one man show and I'm sure McGlone does do.
DEVIL#24 Wrote:Kasey is definately the lead back but he's far from the only one Russell has. McGlone has been using a bunch of capable RB this year and I'm sure he'll decide on 1 or 2 before the playoffs start. Josh Hopper is a kid who is not well known and I think that's the way they want it. He's about 6'1 or 6'2 around 190 and he'll flat out hit you. He's tough. Drew Abrahms is also another kid who is big, fast, and strong. Russell has another 4 or so RB who are capable to be that 2nd back. McGlone always has a reason for what he does in the regular season and I think he'll reveal those reasons in the playoffs. I hope teams do think Russell is a one man show and I'm sure McGlone does do.
i agree with DEVIL #24. McGlone does have a bunch of other backs that are just as capable as making an impact in not only the regular season but in playoffs. josh hopper is going to be one heck of a back when his time comes. he is a true brahma bull as they say. another not well known back is drew abrahms. he's only a sophmore but hes about 160 lbs an beches over 250. how many backs do you know of that are his size but have his power? i just think that people need to not only look for Kasey when playoffs come but they also need to look out for the second and even third stringers.
How can Russell be as good as they are with only one player? True he may be their big play guy but imo no player can make or break a team. But I would sure have him on my team.
Reddevil07 Wrote:i agree with DEVIL #24. McGlone does have a bunch of other backs that are just as capable as making an impact in not only the regular season but in playoffs. josh hopper is going to be one heck of a back when his time comes. he is a true brahma bull as they say. another not well known back is drew abrahms. he's only a sophmore but hes about 160 lbs an beches over 250. how many backs do you know of that are his size but have his power? i just think that people need to not only look for Kasey when playoffs come but they also need to look out for the second and even third stringers.

Yeah, this team has talent all over the place. Russell has gotten beat-up with injuries this year but it looks as though the stars are lining up and we'll be full strength come playoff time and when Russell is full strength they are very solid at every single position.
everyone iss good but no one is better than me
Although Russell has produced superb backs like Kasey Clark and Josh Gross in recent years, I don't think Russell has ever been a one-man show, and it's no different this year. There is no question that Clark is Russell's biggest rushing (and probably receiving) threat, but if you key on him too much, those other backs will make you pay, and it seems as if these guys are continuing to improve as we get deeper into the season. Also, I noticed in another thread that Russell is putting up a better passing game this year. That played a key role in their big run last year, and if they keep it up, they could be back to Papa John's once again.
let alone a top rated pass defense this year and 2 big starters are out.... Nick Lewis and Jacob Sizemore.. both are out but may return in the playoffs... what an addition they will add to the defensive back field
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "