Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
North-South 13th regional finals
Thursday at 7 at Corbin. Shapes up as a classic. South 14-1 in their last 15 games, North 13-2. South regional champs in '12 and '14, North in '13. Teams split regular season games, North winning 5-3 at South, South returning the favor 3-2 at North. Both teams pitching aces (Hurley for North, Miller for South) rested and ready to go. South with six senior starters, four of whom have already signed to play college baseball, North with four senior starters, three of whom have already signed. Much genuine respect from both sides, as a ton of these kids have played with and against each other for years, great group on both sides. Either team could make some noise in Lexington next week. Too close to call, hope my side (North) wins, but if not, I couldn't pick a better representative for our region than South. Can't wait for this one.
I will be pulling for north. :Cheerlead still want hurt me if south wins. :Cheerlead
Van Hagar Wrote:Thursday at 7 at Corbin. Shapes up as a classic. South 14-1 in their last 15 games, North 13-2. South regional champs in '12 and '14, North in '13. Teams split regular season games, North winning 5-3 at South, South returning the favor 3-2 at North. Both teams pitching aces (Hurley for North, Miller for South) rested and ready to go. South with six senior starters, four of whom have already signed to play college baseball, North with four senior starters, three of whom have already signed. Much genuine respect from both sides, as a ton of these kids have played with and against each other for years, great group on both sides. Either team could make some noise in Lexington next week. Too close to call, hope my side (North) wins, but if not, I couldn't pick a better representative for our region than South. Can't wait for this one.

Quite a lot to be said for the baseball programs from a town (that has two teams of this caliber) playing in the finals of the region. They are doing something right in London, Kentucky at the ballparks! Should be a great game, I have spoke to fans from both teams and watched a lot of North's games this year & I will say either way it goes tomorrow night, this area is going to be well represented on the State level. Everyone in this area should be proud of these teams, coaches & fans - they have done very well on the baseball field this season! Way to go North & South Laurel!! Good job! :Thumbs:
Tight End Wrote:Quite a lot to be said for the baseball programs from a town (that has two teams of this caliber) playing in the finals of the region. They are doing something right in London, Kentucky at the ballparks! Should be a great game, I have spoke to fans from both teams and watched a lot of North's games this year & I will say either way it goes tomorrow night, this area is going to be well represented on the State level. Everyone in this area should be proud of these teams, coaches & fans - they have done very well on the baseball field this season! Way to go North & South Laurel!! Good job! :Thumbs:

I would hope so. They are by far the biggest two schools in this region.
They should be playing for titles every year.
I just cant take baseball and softball seriously until they class it.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I would hope so. They are by far the biggest two schools in this region.
They should be playing for titles every year.
I just cant take baseball and softball seriously until they class it.

Those two are the biggest but South Laurel's enrollment is much closer to Whitley and Harlan Co's. North is much much larger, getting very close to 6A numbers.

Congrats to both North and South Laurel for reaching the region finals. Should be a heck of a game. Both are very talented teams.
Leonards_loser Wrote:Those two are the biggest but South Laurel's enrollment is much closer to Whitley and Harlan Co's. North is much much larger, getting very close to 6A numbers.

Congrats to both North and South Laurel for reaching the region finals. Should be a heck of a game. Both are very talented teams.

North Laurel actually is 6A but gets to play down due to geography. There are 2 or 3 schools in 6A that are smaller than North. I agree about South. It only has about 200 more kids than Whitley, but still, all three should be heads and shoulders above the rest in all sports that don't class. I don't agree with the Harlan County statement though. I think theyre numbers actually place them in 4A but they play up.

Either way, I just don't understand why we let schools like North Laurel with 6A numbers play in the same district as Wburg with less than 200 kids. It takes away all pride in winning at least from my perspective. Im sure the comment will be made that the kids deserve it and I bet they don't think theyre pride is taking a hit, and its definitely not the kids fault, but the 13th Region is mostly 3A and 4A schools or smaller, with a whole bunch of 1A size schools.
I understand the basketball tradition and lure or the Sweet 16 and the fact that basketball is a whole other world in this state, but the fact that sports like softball, baseball, volleyball, etc isn't classed makes years like this expected.

Im not going to go make a proposal to the KHSAA or anything, but I do not think theyre should be something silly like 6 classes in baseball. All the sports I listed should be something like 3 classes. Large, Middle, and Small schools. It would make for a much better season without being watered down by too many classes.
Great rivalry!!!! Both of these teams are loaded with talent and would represent the region well in state play!!!
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:North Laurel actually is 6A but gets to play down due to geography. There are 2 or 3 schools in 6A that are smaller than North. I agree about South. It only has about 200 more kids than Whitley, but still, all three should be heads and shoulders above the rest in all sports that don't class. I don't agree with the Harlan County statement though. I think theyre numbers actually place them in 4A but they play up.

Either way, I just don't understand why we let schools like North Laurel with 6A numbers play in the same district as Wburg with less than 200 kids. It takes away all pride in winning at least from my perspective. Im sure the comment will be made that the kids deserve it and I bet they don't think theyre pride is taking a hit, and its definitely not the kids fault, but the 13th Region is mostly 3A and 4A schools or smaller, with a whole bunch of 1A size schools.
I understand the basketball tradition and lure or the Sweet 16 and the fact that basketball is a whole other world in this state, but the fact that sports like softball, baseball, volleyball, etc isn't classed makes years like this expected.

Im not going to go make a proposal to the KHSAA or anything, but I do not think theyre should be something silly like 6 classes in baseball. All the sports I listed should be something like 3 classes. Large, Middle, and Small schools. It would make for a much better season without being watered down by too many classes.

IMO you are way off on that view.

Anyone know what radio station this will be on, have to work overtime so might as well listen to it while i work
Haven't heard for sure if it's being broadcast, but there are three possibilities, 96.7, 101.9 or 103.9. The girls softball final between North-South starts at 6:30, so hopefully there will be coverage for both.
96.7 I heard is covering the girls champ game and then switching over to the boys
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:North Laurel actually is 6A but gets to play down due to geography. There are 2 or 3 schools in 6A that are smaller than North. I agree about South. It only has about 200 more kids than Whitley, but still, all three should be heads and shoulders above the rest in all sports that don't class. I don't agree with the Harlan County statement though. I think theyre numbers actually place them in 4A but they play up.

Harlan County isn't 4A yet, but they could be getting close. They didn't get a choice about playing up.
I don't think North is 6A either, at least not yet. I never saw any info from the KHSAA about anyone getting to "play down." I think that's illegal.
Enrollment by Khsaa

North Laurel 1385
South Laurel 1255
Whitley Co 1185
Harlan Co 1158
Leonards_loser Wrote:Enrollment by Khsaa

North Laurel 1385
South Laurel 1255
Whitley Co 1185
Harlan Co 1158

Just 130 kids difference in NL and SL, do they try to make it even at each school, or just follow a boundary line. Not sure exactly how that works in Laurel County?
HCS Wrote:Harlan County isn't 4A yet, but they could be getting close. They didn't get a choice about playing up.
I don't think North is 6A either, at least not yet. I never saw any info from the KHSAA about anyone getting to "play down." I think that's illegal.

Harlan County isnt far from dropping to 4A. For example Perry Central actually could have but requested to play up.
As for North I'm not wrong. There are 6A schools smaller than North. It was in the last realignment. And yes you can play down when a team in a lower class request to play up. It's not that North asked to stay it's that a few smaller 5A schools requested to play up in 6A for closer districts thus knocking North down.
former Wrote:IMO you are way off on that view.

Anyone know what radio station this will be on, have to work overtime so might as well listen to it while i work

How am I off? Everything I said is fact.
Tight End Wrote:Just 130 kids difference in NL and SL, do they try to make it even at each school, or just follow a boundary line. Not sure exactly how that works in Laurel County?

Theres a boundary line but a lot of parents find that magical way around it. Even out of county kids. South Laurel covers part of the city and South 25, 363 and 192. North Laurel has the rest.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:How am I off? Everything I said is fact.

Just because a school has more kids dont mean they are better or should beat anyone. Williamsburg was very small and could beat a lot of larger schools. I have so many friends in london who tell me how lazy kids are there, just because a school has more kids dont mean they all play sports.
More dont mean you should be better
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Harlan County isnt far from dropping to 4A. For example Perry Central actually could have but requested to play up.
As for North I'm not wrong. There are 6A schools smaller than North. It was in the last realignment. And yes you can play down when a team in a lower class request to play up. It's not that North asked to stay it's that a few smaller 5A schools requested to play up in 6A for closer districts thus knocking North down.

It says this is the original list:

http://khsaa.org/football/realignment/20...tclass.pdf