Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lawrence County 2017
What will our team look like next season?
Is West going to stay?

I have been hearing a handful of our boys are working out everyday trying to get better.
West will stay his Mom and Dad are both teachers at the high school I would like to see the schedule for next year if anyone has it I think they are making a couple of schedule changes not sure though
Expectations are up this year with almost the entire team back and more experienced. Roberts at middle linebacker was a tackling machine and a real leader for this team and will be the hardest to replace. Tailbacks will be our biggest need but I think the Young kid at fullback looked great as a freshman last year and will be a beast this year with us returning all of the o-line. We had a ton of 1st time starters last year and with the amount of injuries we had I know a lot of kids got to see playing time that should pay off this year. So many close games last year that I feel should turn into wins this year with a year under their belts. Schedule wise I know we have Belfry,Pike Central,Floyd Central ,Raceland and I'm pretty sure we dropped Boyd County and some other team and picked up Paintsville and Magoffin County.
I knew the west kid's mom taught at the school, I did not know his dad did. That's good to know he is a good athlete.
Interested in seeing This team next fall! Really expect them to give some teams fits! Some solid young athletes that will be a little stronger and faster! Was happy to see a few of them in our stand in playoffs!
Defense needs to be shaken up a little this year. Just from a fan perspective I think we need to use bigger players on the defensive line even if it means some have to play both ways. Past few years the defense seemed to be geared more toward being a small,fast defense to pressure quarterbacks but rarely do we play teams that rely heavily on the pass, especially teams like Belfry that have a huge o-line. Not knocking any players but over the length of a game we just couldn't hold up against the run using the smaller bodies. I think if the defense comes around and improves and with the offense we have, LC will have a pretty good year. Really liked the offensive sets we ran last year and the job West done at qb. Could really see the progress the team was making from game to game.
I think the way this team finished the last couple of games in the regular season and even in the loss at Fleming County in the playoffs showed a lot of promise. Now, is that good enough? Absolutely not, and the coaches and players will tell you that. Noah West had a huge year under center for the Bulldogs, and you have to keep in mind, this was his first time ever playing the quarterback position. That's a drastic change from a defensive position that he was used to. However, in the area including from Paintsville to Raceland there were several defensive players switch to the quarterback position so it seems to be a trend. Trevor Young was a pleasant surprise at fullback after the injury to Dylan Sizemore, who should be back next season stronger and quicker. I just hope he can stay healthy. As you have mentioned the running back position will be the question mark following the graduation of Jake Wellman. Does Ferguson step up and start or will it be someone like Trey Doston, or maybe even a new freshman? On defense I thought the Bulldogs, fundamentally wise, got better last year. What I mean is they tackled better, got off blocks better, flew to the football better, and made better and more tackles in the open field. The loss of Roberts at linebacker and Jordan Johnson will hurt because they both are incredible athletes and proven leaders but it gives more underclassmen an opportunity to step up. I think we will see a big year from guys like Ashton Blankenship, Tanner Rasnake, Robert Stone, Dakota Shortridge, to name a few. I think the key for this team is to keep improving and they are. Next season begins now in the weight room and the coaches know that. I think both the Fairchild boys back will help them, both are really athletic and can do anything on the field.
Short needs to get rid of Cecil if he what's to grow as a coach. If he doesn't he be running down the same mediocre road Cecil has had them on.
I respect your opinion but two things I have noticed in your comment, the first is that you need to learn proper grammar and typing, secondly, you need to learn football. Coach Cecil is a great guy, a close friend and someone that has sacrificed a lot of time for this Bulldog football program. What have you done? Coach Short did a great job I thought in his first year, especially with all of the circumstances he had. This team will be fine and will get better. We need more positive minded fans and fans that are loyal to the program. We all want to win, every team outside of Belfry and Johnson Central has downs years haha. Lawrence is rebuilding and I love what Coach Short and his staff are doing. Go Bulldogs!!
Nygfan106wins Wrote:Short needs to get rid of Cecil if he what's to grow as a coach. If he doesn't he be running down the same mediocre road Cecil has had them on.

I to respect what you are saying Nygfan, however Coach Cecil has poured his heart and soul out for this LC team and community. I truly think he is a great leader and coach. "On the other side of the cue ball", I do agree with what you stated, it needs to be all or nothing. If Coach Cecil is going to coach he needs to be the head coach. If not he needs to let Coach Short do his thing.
lcgrad2002 Wrote:I respect your opinion but two things I have noticed in your comment, the first is that you need to learn proper grammar and typing, secondly, you need to learn football. Coach Cecil is a great guy, a close friend and someone that has sacrificed a lot of time for this Bulldog football program. What have you done? Coach Short did a great job I thought in his first year, especially with all of the circumstances he had. This team will be fine and will get better. We need more positive minded fans and fans that are loyal to the program. We all want to win, every team outside of Belfry and Johnson Central has downs years haha. Lawrence is rebuilding and I love what Coach Short and his staff are doing. Go Bulldogs!!

Can you tell how him being a good person ,makes him a good coach? Second can you teach me football ?
Should be a good year, they learned how to compete. Now gotta finish games off. Still think we're two years away from being a contender. Time will tell, we got good kids that play every snap. I will say this in regards to Cecil, good man, good role model. Coach short got every thing he could outta last years team. You cannot honestly say that with Cecil at the helm. Cecil is a coach but not a head coach.
Nygfan106wins Wrote:Can you tell how him being a good person ,makes him a good coach? Second can you teach me football ?

I was going to stay out of this one, but I just can't help it lol. I would love to hear the answer to this one also. No one is questioning if he is a good man or if he cares about this program and team. I also care about this program and team and want to see it succeed but that alone will not translate into wins on the field if I were coaching. There are literally thousands of teams across this country and hundreds just in this state alone who are either mediocre or just plain bad who have coaches who love the job, the kids and the school and community yet their team does nothing year after year so why is that? Are we expected to believe that if they love the kids and the job then that alone qualifies them as the best man for the job. I think it boils down to two choices. Do you want your coach to be a good man and father figure who has an outstanding reputation on and off the field or do you want on the field results or can you get lucky to find someone who can do both. Do you want wins and success on the field and trophies in the case or are you ok with mediocre results as long as the coach is a good man and is somehow showing a good example to the kids and teaching them life lasting lessons and giving them someone to look up to or a hero even if they are only involved with the kid a few hours a day for a few years of their life. Personally I have all girls and are all into girl stuff so I will never have a kid who will play football. If I had a kid playing football I would expect the coach to be respectful firm and fair with my kid along with all the other kids. I would also expect my kid to be taught this game correctly and given the best chance he can to succeed at the game. I don't live in lala land and don't expect the coach to be a saint because I'm no saint either. Personally I would rather my kid learn their life long lessons at home by their parents thank you very much and if my kid is looking for someone to look up to then I would much rather it be a teacher in the classroom because I consider my kids education more important then their short 4 year athletic career unless they are good enough to take it to the next level. If I had a kid who decided to play and are willing to put in the time and go through the blood, sweat and tears then I want them to be put In the best possible position to succeed and win something. I guess If I had a kid playing I would do what all the other parents the last several years have done who have a kid playing and they want their kid to win something and get the best training possible and to not settle for mediocre...............I guess I would just transfer my kid to Johnson Central or Belfry or somewhere else where they care about winning equally as they do shaping fine young men.
Do-double-gg Wrote:I was going to stay out of this one..............I guess I would just transfer my kid to Johnson Central or Belfry or somewhere else where they care about winning equally as they do shaping fine young men.

First off, you should have stayed out of it.

Secondly, please go ahead and transfer yourself OUT of the LC sporting atmosphere. Fans like you, and I should not use the word "fan", are what's the problem around here. You all have this attitude that if we get rid of Coach X and replace him with Coach Y we will suddenly beat Belfry. How many regional title games have we played in overall? What about other coaches at LC prior to Cecil?

When I hear people who supposedly are "fans" of LC say they would just "transfer their kids" that disgusts me to the core! Get the **** OUT! Now....where's the tylenol! Confusednicker:
The way I see it. This is Coach Shorts team. He's surrounded himself with fine men who have good football minds. Most of them know what it takes to win because they did it. Right now coaching isn't the problem. It takes time for talent to develop. I hear parents out there complaining of coaches decisions, play calling, etc that have no clue what it takes to win. The Bulldogs will be put in a position to succeed with this coaching staff. If they put in the work they will win. In the words of Trump, they'll win so much they'll get tired of winning. 😁
As far as I'm concerned this is a thread about the Bulldogs upcoming 2017 season. I get that some people didn't like/agree with coach Cecil when he was head coach and that is fine but that was in the past and we need to focus on now. The man done the best he could with what he had to work with as did the other coaches and I thank them for their hard work. This community needs to support the staff and these kids and not dwell in what happened or didn't happen in previous years. Expectations are always high at Lawrence County and I am just as guilty as anyone for having high ,even unreal expectations at times but the community support matters a ton in trying to build up a program. A few games into the season last year I noticed a big decline in fan support at the home games or people leaving the game when they think it is out of reach. The kids see this and it does weigh on them.It sucks having down year but it happens and the only way we get this program built back is by a total effort from coaches,players and fans. I don't agree with everything all the time but at the end of the day I know we all want the same thing and that is a state championship for these kids. Go Dawgs!!
What your thoughts on a coach letting 5 or 6 starters go to soccer game why the rest of the team is practicing getting ready for the next game? An in turn they don't get in trouble or lose any playing time
LC will be better but stuck with Belfry in their district.
Nygfan106wins Wrote:What your thoughts on a coach letting 5 or 6 starters go to soccer game why the rest of the team is practicing getting ready for the next game? An in turn they don't get in trouble or lose any playing time

I would say that they have came to some sort of agreement between the players and the football and soccer coaches. They are not the only school that shares athletes amongst sports. Some do it like you say and some only have the soccer players kick.
thecoacher Wrote:I would say that they have came to some sort of agreement between the players and the football and soccer coaches. They are not the only school that shares athletes amongst sports. Some do it like you say and some only have the soccer players kick.
it was a girls soccer game they went to . They wasn't playing
Nygfan106wins Wrote:it was a girls soccer game they went to . They wasn't playing

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood. That is a totally different situation.
Nygfan106wins Wrote:it was a girls soccer game they went to . They wasn't playing
Did anyone ask to attend the soccer game that wasn't allowed?
0ff The Chain Wrote:Defense needs to be shaken up a little this year. Just from a fan perspective I think we need to use bigger players on the defensive line even if it means some have to play both ways. Past few years the defense seemed to be geared more toward being a small,fast defense to pressure quarterbacks but rarely do we play teams that rely heavily on the pass, especially teams like Belfry that have a huge o-line. Not knocking any players but over the length of a game we just couldn't hold up against the run using the smaller bodies. I think if the defense comes around and improves and with the offense we have, LC will have a pretty good year. Really liked the offensive sets we ran last year and the job West done at qb. Could really see the progress the team was making from game to game.
Hope to see improvements on the defensive side of the ball from the dawgs this year. Less tempers would be a plus.
Ah, I dunno...I have always liked to have a lil bit of bad attitude on defense as long as it's between the whistles. We really didn't have much issues with fighting and such last year that I can recall. Getting Bobby Cox and Jimmy Marcum healthy and back in the d-line rotation will certainly help. We had quite a bit of injuries on defense last year.
I can not comment on Coach Cecil's ability as a man or as a coach. However, what I can tell you is that if the new coach wants to truly do things his way, then he should find somebody to fill Cecil's shoes. It may have been a good thing last season for Cvil to stay around and help with the transition, but he has to understand the message it is sending to those players if he stays on. Even if it means Coach Short takes over both offense and defense. The wins and losses now fall with him, and he needs to realize how big of a distraction it will be to have Cecil on the sidelines. That is exactly why everytime a new coach is hired he usually has his own staff. High school is a little different and you may not always have that luxury, but in no way is it smart to have the former head coach still around.
Let's just support LC Football and whoever the coach is. The boys seems to be working hard in the off season already. Bring on 2017 !!!!
Iron Horse Wrote:Let's just support LC Football and whoever the coach is. The boys seems to be working hard in the off season already. Bring on 2017 !!!!

Alan has the knowledge as does his staff. LC is gonna be tough, mark it down. I'm looking forward to seeing LC get back to the winning tradition they once had and I believe they hired the right guy to get them there.
Who will be the surprise young players for the Bulldogs this season? I know they were young last year; who will stand out this season and make a name.
I am going to try and change my football schedule around to try and catch L.C. this season.

Anyone have the schedule?
Also its time for a new L.C. shirt.
LCHSbulldogsalum Wrote:First off, you should have stayed out of it.

Secondly, please go ahead and transfer yourself OUT of the LC sporting atmosphere. Fans like you, and I should not use the word "fan", are what's the problem around here. You all have this attitude that if we get rid of Coach X and replace him with Coach Y we will suddenly beat Belfry. How many regional title games have we played in overall? What about other coaches at LC prior to Cecil?

When I hear people who supposedly are "fans" of LC say they would just "transfer their kids" that disgusts me to the core! Get the **** OUT! Now....where's the tylenol! Confusednicker:

1st I don't give two shits what you think or say about me. 2nd If anything I said offended you then my work here is done. 3rd I never said I would transfer my kid under the current coach you dummy. I am quite happy with coach Short. A lot of good athletes have transferred out of this county the last 5 years and that is a fact and you know it.