Poll: Was Pike Central's run a Cinderella Story?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
52.00%
No
48.00%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pike Central a Cinderella Story?
The Pike Central Lady Hawks made a run that no one expected besides themsevles. So I was wondering was the Lady Hawks run to the final four a Cinderella Story what is your view?
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:The Pike Central Lady Hawks made a run that no one expected besides themsevles. So I was wondering was the Lady Hawks run to the final four a Cinderella Story what is your view?
I wouldn't exactly call it that. I think most thought any one of the top 3-4 teams could make a run to the final four. I don't think anyone discounted any team.
no.I really dont think it was.
StillAnMCfan Wrote:I wouldn't exactly call it that. I think most thought any one of the top 3-4 teams could make a run to the final four. I don't think anyone discounted any team.

I agree. I think Magoffin County or maybe even Belfry & Paintsville could've made similar moves in the Sweet 16. Girls Basketball in the 15th Region was much stronger than the Boys side in my opinion this season and has been for the past couple of seasons.

Pike Central was expected to make an impact and at least make it past the 1st round. Very talented team led by a special player in H. Ratliff. One thing that always impressed me most about HR was that she was able to get everyone involved on the court offensively and still average 14 or more a game.
Yes, I for one think that it was a cinderella story especially since I was one of about 3 people on this site that even thought that PC was the best team in the region and would make it to the state, let alone win 2 games against 2 very good teams in the state tourney and make it to the final four. I just went back and read some posts on "how are the lady hawks going to do in the state tourney?" and "PC vs. Notre Dame" and "PC vs. Rose Hill". Not a whole lot of people thought that PC would win, they did "hope". I don't think that anyone outside of the family of PC thought that they were capable of such a fantastic feat. Great job girls and no I don't think that any of 4 teams could have done this. PC DID IT and they are the only team to do anything like this since 1990 so no, I don't think anyone could or they would have. Great job girls you are AWESOME!!! No one can ever take that away from you. You set a goal, a very lofty goal and you accomplished that goal and you played on SATURDAY.
pike central had a awesome yr. and yes it was a fairytale come true
good luck next yr. hawks.
whos your momma Wrote:Yes, I for one think that it was a cinderella story especially since I was one of about 3 people on this site that even thought that PC was the best team in the region and would make it to the state, let alone win 2 games against 2 very good teams in the state tourney and make it to the final four. I just went back and read some posts on "how are the lady hawks going to do in the state tourney?" and "PC vs. Notre Dame" and "PC vs. Rose Hill". Not a whole lot of people thought that PC would win, they did "hope". I don't think that anyone outside of the family of PC thought that they were capable of such a fantastic feat. Great job girls and no I don't think that any of 4 teams could have done this. PC DID IT and they are the only team to do anything like this since 1990 so no, I don't think anyone could or they would have. Great job girls you are AWESOME!!! No one can ever take that away from you. You set a goal, a very lofty goal and you accomplished that goal and you played on SATURDAY.

I for one thought that they could win region and against RH, but I didn't know enough about Notre Dame to comment on that game. Great season Lady Hawks!!! I just regret not going to the state tourney, I attended 17 of their games this season and I have got to admit there was never a dull moment, this year's team was special and I know for a fact it just won't be the same next year without Haley Ratliff taking the court with the Lady Hawks! However, good luck in your future endeavors Haley, it was truly a blessing to watch you grow up on the court!
I agree that any of the other top teams could have made the same run that PC did, Shelby Valley, for one beat Rose Hill quite easily and they we're top 4-5 in the 15th. I also believe that Magoffin, when healthy, could do the same. Alot of the 15th's teams, come tournament time, are extremely competitive and are around the same level. And with the draw, and how the sweet 16 played out any of the top 4 in our region could've easily made that run.
Could be.
Saleen_Insanity Wrote:I agree that any of the other top teams could have made the same run that PC did, Shelby Valley, for one beat Rose Hill quite easily and they we're top 4-5 in the 15th. I also believe that Magoffin, when healthy, could do the same. Alot of the 15th's teams, come tournament time, are extremely competitive and are around the same level. And with the draw, and how the sweet 16 played out any of the top 4 in our region could've easily made that run.

i think Magoffin could have done it but i think Valley would have struggled with the inside game of Notre Dame...
Could have, would have, should have. Fact is only one team has done it in the last 17 years and that would be the PC lady hawks. Great season. I have said that when healthy you were the best and several people disagreed (strongly) but I had faith!!! BTW, Rose Hill was just missing one of their D-1 signees when they played SV earlier in the year. PC was the best team and they went all the way to the FINAL FOUR. Sad that you try to belittle the Hawks accomplishment by saying that any of four teams could have done it. Wow, PC has a 3rd place trophy in their case. That means they finished the year out of 240 teams in the state of Kentucky as 3rd. There is a ranking for you and they have the trophy to prove it.
Saleen_Insanity Wrote:I agree that any of the other top teams could have made the same run that PC did, Shelby Valley, for one beat Rose Hill quite easily and they we're top 4-5 in the 15th. I also believe that Magoffin, when healthy, could do the same. Alot of the 15th's teams, come tournament time, are extremely competitive and are around the same level. And with the draw, and how the sweet 16 played out any of the top 4 in our region could've easily made that run.

If the 15th teams are so competetive then why did it take them nearly 20 years to win ONE game? Easily 4 do the same thing? Have you watched any games? There was one team close to PC and that was MC. Don't talk about the draw either. So in 20 years the 15th has drawn the number one team in the state every year. This is an accomplishment and the girls did it when no one else could for 17 years.
How can you all say that anyother team could have done what Pc has done?
15regiongurlsbball Wrote:How can you all say that anyother team could have done what Pc has done?

They have to SAY it cause they couldn't do it!! No one could for nearly 20 years.
Agreed, theres always some one out there who will say they COULD HAVE, BUT they DIDN'T pike central did! so until another team in the 15th goes to the final four, you shouldnt say they can do what the hawks did
15regiongurlsbball Wrote:Agreed, theres always some one out there who will say they COULD HAVE, BUT they DIDN'T pike central did! so until another team in the 15th goes to the final four, you shouldnt say they can do what the hawks did

The hawks are the only ones with the 3rd place trophy!!!!!
EXACTLY and its HUGE!!
Not meaning any disrespect towards any other team in the 15th, but it was obvious that PC was clearly the best team in the region with their full roster. Once AD Slone was allowed to join the team and Haley got healthy they were winning by double digits against the teams in the 15th region. But to the other teams in the 15th, thanks for the great season in the 15th, you made it a memorable one!
Evil Twin Wrote:If the 15th teams are so competetive then why did it take them nearly 20 years to win ONE game?

I can't help but think that many of y'all are forgetting that the 2002-03 Betsy Layne girls won their state opener as well. Admittedly, they got their clocks cleaned by Clinton County in the quarterfinals, but they did beat 10th Region champ Campbell County 56-47 in the first round at Diddle.
yes, no one is forgetting that, they done very well. but we are talking about the teams from the 15th that has made it to the final 4.
Hawksfan Wrote:Not meaning any disrespect towards any other team in the 15th, but it was obvious that PC was clearly the best team in the region with their full roster. Once AD Slone was allowed to join the team and Haley got healthy they were winning by double digits against the teams in the 15th region. But to the other teams in the 15th, thanks for the great season in the 15th, you made it a memorable one!
I can't see why, after everyone on this board has said that we are pround of PC, the Pc people keep coming on here with post after post of claiming to be the best team in the region. As Joey would say, "It's a moo point" They won the regions, got 3rd in the state. Is it really all that necessary to keep announcing it? Did WE forget to congratulate you? Sorry, Good going, way to make the 15th proud. Did I leave anything out? Oh yea, Haley is the real deal. I think I covered it all. Again, Congrats. (Even though I have said this no less than 5-6 times since Saturday.)
15th Teams to Go to Final Four that I know of..

2007 Pike Central

1990 Elkhorn City

1984 Belfry: advanced to final two..lost championship by two points to Marshall County.
StillAnMCfan Wrote:I can't see why, after everyone on this board has said that we are pround of PC, the Pc people keep coming on here with post after post of claiming to be the best team in the region. As Joey would say, "It's a moo point" They won the regions, got 3rd in the state. Is it really all that necessary to keep announcing it? Did WE forget to congratulate you? Sorry, Good going, way to make the 15th proud. Did I leave anything out? Oh yea, Haley is the real deal. I think I covered it all. Again, Congrats. (Even though I have said this no less than 5-6 times since Saturday.)

O.k I think that we are just pointing out that some people are saying MC, SV could have done the same. Well, They DIDN'T they didnt make it out of regionals. I dont mean to sound mean im just pointing this out to you all. Even after PC goes to the FINAL FOUR people are saying there team COULD HAVE done the same...........BUT they didnt the PC LADY HAWKS DID! So when your team does it then you can say you CAN DO IT! This post was suppose to be about PC cinderella story not who could have done what PC DID! BUT THANKS FOR CONGRATULATING US 6 TIMESSmile
jammin' jamey Wrote:I agree. I think Magoffin County or maybe even Belfry & Paintsville could've made similar moves in the Sweet 16. Girls Basketball in the 15th Region was much stronger than the Boys side in my opinion this season and has been for the past couple of seasons.

Pike Central was expected to make an impact and at least make it past the 1st round. Very talented team led by a special player in H. Ratliff. One thing that always impressed me most about HR was that she was able to get everyone involved on the court offensively and still average 14 or more a game.

yea i agree that MC or Belfry could've but not paintsville
15regiongurlsbball Wrote:O.k I think that we are just pointing out that some people are saying MC, SV could have done the same. Well, They DIDN'T they didnt make it out of regionals. I dont mean to sound mean im just pointing this out to you all. Even after PC goes to the FINAL FOUR people are saying there team COULD HAVE done the same...........BUT they didnt the PC LADY HAWKS DID! So when your team does it then you can say you CAN DO IT! This post was suppose to be about PC cinderella story not who could have done what PC DID! BUT THANKS FOR CONGRATULATING US 6 TIMESSmile

What a lot of people are saying is NO, PC isn't a Cinderella Story. They were that good. People are just mentioning the other teams and saying how strong the 15th really was. I haven't seen one post one here that has tried in any way to put PC down or say that their team should have been there instead. Good job Lady Hawks.
i posted on another thread that PC had a chance to win state no glass slipper here they are for real.
I have a question, a little off topic, but how is 3rd place decided? If #3 and #4 both get beat in the semis in their respective brackets, how is 3rd decided?
StillAnMCfan Wrote:I have a question, a little off topic, but how is 3rd place decided? If #3 and #4 both get beat in the semis in their respective brackets, how is 3rd decided?

both teams get a 3rd place trophy
15thRegionSlamaBamma Wrote:both teams get a 3rd place trophy
Oh ok, nice.
StillAnMCfan Wrote:Oh ok, nice.

yeah i think they should have a third place game.