Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best coach in the 15th region
Who is the top in the region, all around coach. This is what im going by
Skill development
Preparing for a game
In game adjustments
Working to get you to the next level(calling college recruiters and coaches to try and get you out there)
Off season work
Team scouting
Tommy McKenzie-Johnson Central.
clipperw Wrote:Tommy McKenzie-Johnson Central.

No doubt he has an amazing on court resume not familiar with getting his players to next level. How many d1 or d2 players has he had..im not being disrespectful just idk I kno hes had several play college but idk what levels.
I'm not extremely familiar with the Johnson Central players as far as the next level goes. The ones I can name are:
Kyle Gullett-Walked on at Southeast Missouri State for one season. I believe he had committed to Transylvania before deciding to walk on at SEMO.
Shane Hall-signed with Marshall though left before the season started. Transferred to NAIA D2 Alice Lloyd where he played one season.
Braxton Blair-Played one season at Alice Lloyd with Shane.
Mason Blair-Going into sophomore season at NAIA D1 UPike.
McKenzie (Johnson Central)
McCoy (East Ridge)
Thompson (Belfry)
Spurlock (Floyd Central)
Slone (Paintsville)
CA3 Wrote:McKenzie (Johnson Central)
McCoy (East Ridge)
Thompson (Belfry)
Spurlock (Floyd Central)
Slone (Paintsville)

Idk much on McCoy and Thompson but this is too soon to say slone as best coach in region just 2nd year in. Spurlock had high expectations this year and didn't live up 2 them but of the following coaches he has gotten more players to the d1 level... how about justice from PIKEVILLE 2 regional titles and 1 player who is going d1
Elisha Justice has to be in that discussion, I mean the guy has won back2back regional titles in his first 2 years...
Mamba Wrote:Idk much on McCoy and Thompson but this is too soon to say slone as best coach in region just 2nd year in. Spurlock had high expectations this year and didn't live up 2 them but of the following coaches he has gotten more players to the d1 level... how about justice from PIKEVILLE 2 regional titles and 1 player who is going d1

FrozenColonel Wrote:Elisha Justice has to be in that discussion, I mean the guy has won back2back regional titles in his first 2 years...

I would say Pikeville has the best overall “staff”. People that have watched a Pikeville game in the last two seasons will know what I mean
CA3 Wrote:I would say Pikeville has the best overall “staff”. People that have watched a Pikeville game in the last two seasons will know what I mean

I’m from Pikeville.. I don’t.
Justice - Pikeville
Newsome - asst at Pikeville
McCoy - East Ridge
Slone - Paintsville
McKenzie - Johnson Central
After that it’s a toss up pick who you want
jmhsrv1970 Wrote:I’m from Pikeville.. I don’t.

99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Justice - Pikeville
Newsome - asst at Pikeville
McCoy - East Ridge
Slone - Paintsville
McKenzie - Johnson Central
After that it’s a toss up pick who you want

Come on people, I know you see what goes on on the Pikeville sideline. Even random people at the sweet 16 talked about it. Listen, I like Justice as a person just as much as the next person but you can’t be blind.
CA3 Wrote:Come on people, I know you see what goes on on the Pikeville sideline. Even random people at the sweet 16 talked about it. Listen, I like Justice as a person just as much as the next person but you can’t be blind.

What do you mean goes on?
Mamba Wrote:What do you mean goes on?
CA3 is one of those deluded people who seem to have a fascination with Newsome on the sideline. Apparently can’t take their eyes off ofbhim doing his job (helping coach players up), to notice Justice also coaching, diagramming plays, etc. Apparently, there is something wrong with a young head coach turning to trusted mentors for help and learning how to coach. Heaven forbid they actually take their eyes off Coach Cal, or they would notice *gasp*! Robic Et al ALSO coaching! I know, it’s a shocking concept not seen often in the annals of American high school coaching, but bear with us, CA3, I think we may be into something here.

People need to get over it. Has Justice done it all by himself? NO. Did McKenzie do it all by himself? Slone? Etc? No. Like it or not, he’s the head coach and we support him. He’s done a wonderful job, won two regional titles here in his first two years. Yes he’s had Bataille. Bart had Kasongo, and so on. Having a star player doesn’t always make a coach look like a genius, it’s the supporting ensemble. Look at Roberts, Rhodes, Byers, Watkins and so on. They were INTEGRAL to the success of the team. CA3 sounds like someone who is a disgruntled harpy.
In the last 21 years I have covered 4 different regions in basketball and worked the last 16 boys sweet 16 tournaments and in all that time I have never seen a head coach do less on the sideline. Nor have I ever seen assistant coaches control timeouts and play calling like I have seen with Pikeville the last two seasons.
CA3 Wrote:In the last 21 years I have covered 4 different regions in basketball and worked the last 16 boys sweet 16 tournaments and in all that time I have never seen a head coach do less on the sideline. Nor have I ever seen assistant coaches control timeouts and play calling like I have seen with Pikeville the last two seasons.

Listen man I am a parent of a kid that plays at Pikeville.. I have been to a HUGE number of the practices since Elisha has been hired. Every morning at 6 a.m. be it summer or regular season he is in their with his players getting better not Newsome not Booher. The players respect him and play hard for him. As an outsider looking in ( which you are) you might want to cover this, because those sweet 16s you’ve covered have not given you any insight as to what really goes on in Pikeville basketball.. additionally these other coaches might want to look at this young coach, because he seems to know the road to Rupp.
CA3 Wrote:In the last 21 years I have covered 4 different regions in basketball and worked the last 16 boys sweet 16 tournaments and in all that time I have never seen a head coach do less on the sideline. Nor have I ever seen assistant coaches control timeouts and play calling like I have seen with Pikeville the last two seasons.
Basically you want to see him be animated, yell, stomp the floor like Ricky P, be heard in the rafters “giving instruction”. Gotcha. Be like everyone else, not who HE is. All that basketball you’ve covered hasn’t seemed to have enlightened you very much.
I've only watched 2 pikeville games since hes been the head coach 1 being the john Hardin game... but it seems to me hes not the yell and scream and embarrass your kid kinda coach it seems he tries to teach the game...after every timeout he called when they were on offense 95% of the time they scored coming out of it..and he was very much involved on the sidelines when I watched...and yes hes had battile but I know several coaches who had tremendous players not be able to get the job done...just in the 15th region. Dalton boys fron lawrence county were as good as they come but couldn'tmake it to Rupp whats that say about lawrence. Kevin spurlock had the best PG and possibly the best big guy in the region this year no Rupp hell he also had Braxton Beverly and Justin Johnson no Rupp..johnny Martin had shawn newsome that didn't see Rupp. Bill mike had chaz Harmon and Shane Simmons that didn't go to Rupp. Just bc you got a great player or 2 don't guarantee you success you still have to coach...but back to my guidelines of all those coaches mentioned spurlock is the only one thats put a player into D1 and soon justice will join after battile signs. Are those the only 2 to get a player to that level after high school or am I missing someone
Mamba Wrote:Dalton boys fron lawrence county were as good as they come but couldn'tmake it to Rupp whats that say about lawrence.

They did make it to Rupp when Lawrence County won the 15th Region in 2016.
clipperw Wrote:They did make it to Rupp when Lawrence County won the 15th Region in 2016.

I forgot about that I was thinking jc won that year also but the others in my comment price that just bc you have great players doesn't mean you will be a great coach
All I see is some people that is jealous of a tremendously talented young Coach get over it he’s the real deal and on top of being a great Coach I can guarantee he’s also a better person than you because he would never bash another person so hush he’s done more than anybody else in two seasons in this region
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:All I see is some people that is jealous of a tremendously talented young Coach get over it he’s the real deal and on top of being a great Coach I can guarantee he’s also a better person than you because he would never bash another person so hush he’s done more than anybody else in two seasons in this region

So I post 5 coaches whom I think are better coaches and I’m not a “good” person. That’s funny. I never said Coach Justice was a bad person, which all know he’s a great person because I like 5 other coaches, I’m not. That’s ok.
Also don’t forget I get paid to cover sports and write my opinion.
Pikeville has found a way to win the last 2 seasons, I just believe it has moee to do with the whole staff than Coach Justice. There’s no doubt that Justice can show and teach his players a lot about individual play and how to be great. May I add that I wish more coaches would handle themselves like Justice on the sideline, when it comes to emotions.
CA3 Wrote:So I post 5 coaches whom I think are better coaches and I’m not a “good” person. That’s funny. I never said Coach Justice was a bad person, which all know he’s a great person because I like 5 other coaches, I’m not. That’s ok.
Pikeville has found a way to win the last 2 seasons, I just believe it has moee to do with the whole staff than Coach Justice. There’s no doubt that Justice can show and teach his players a lot about individual play and how to be great. May I add that I wish more coaches would handle themselves like Justice on the sideline, when it comes to emotions.
Ok. So, fair question for you then. What exactly has Slone (as an example only) done to earn a ranking over Justice in your top 5? Are you telling me Paintsville development over the course of the season was solely due to him and nothing to do with the entire staff? Because I’m trying to fathom how you rank Slone higher with nothing to show for it? Keep in mind, I’m not the one saying you’re a “bad” person or anything, it’s a genuine question based on what you have answered so far.

While you get paid to cover games and write opinions, it doesn’t necessarily mean you’re more informed than others, it just means you get into more games free and are employed as a writer. Even writers can have a bias or be homers. For that matter, I’m really not sure how you ranked Thompson higher either, because I don’t see a single criteria in which he has done better, unless you’re giving him overly heavy weight for winning the 60th district for the first time in quite some time.
CA3 Wrote:So I post 5 coaches whom I think are better coaches and I’m not a “good” person. That’s funny. I never said Coach Justice was a bad person, which all know he’s a great person because I like 5 other coaches, I’m not. That’s ok.

LOL so? I'm sure someone will pay me $100 to call you a dumba$$. Does that make it a fact?Confusednicker: Lots of idiots in this world get paid. Not saying anything at all about you but opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one. Justice has won 2 in a row. The End.
One of the very first things a good coach does is choose people he can trust to be on his/her staff. Someone who is competent and loyal. I think Justice has done just that; to condemn him over it is just not smart. However, he is young and that may weigh in on some people’s decisions...and rightfully so. In my opinion, Justice would have to be considered in the discussion as one of top coaches, along with McKenzie and McCoy!
4everUK Wrote:One of the very first things a good coach does is choose people he can trust to be on his/her staff. Someone who is competent and loyal. I think Justice has done just that; to condemn him over it is just not smart. However, he is young and that may weigh in on some people’s decisions...and rightfully so. In my opinion, Justice would have to be considered in the discussion as one of top coaches, along with McKenzie and McCoy!

I never said it was a bad move on his part. Just stating I think there are several better head coaches in the region. I do think that Pikeville has had the best STAFF for the last two seasons.

One thing everyone needs to learn is about 95% of the time a coach wins because they have good players. That is why I don’t just say well because Justice won the Region he’s the best. I think Coach Thompson is an outstanding coach for what he has to work with.
So if we’re going to just rank these coaches from region titles, how can anyone put Justice over McCoy and McKenzie?
CA3 Wrote:So if we’re going to just rank these coaches from region titles, how can anyone put Justice over McCoy and McKenzie?
Still haven’t answered my questions above. And I’m not ranking Justice at the top, I AM ranking him in the top 5 (for now), definitely over Slone and Thompson. And like it or not, coaches are ultimately judged on 1) do they win, 2) do they turn out quality people from their programs. While you may be a writer, you conveniently pick and choose which questions to answer on this thread. You’re entitled to your opinion on the rankings, but you keep throwing outbyoure a writer who is paid to produce written opinions and yet won’t justify your opinions. Simple question; what criterion do you use to justify ranking Slone and Thompson ahead of Justice?
PHSForever Wrote:Still haven’t answered my questions above. And I’m not ranking Justice at the top, I AM ranking him in the top 5 (for now), definitely over Slone and Thompson. And like it or not, coaches are ultimately judged on 1) do they win, 2) do they turn out quality people from their programs. While you may be a writer, you conveniently pick and choose which questions to answer on this thread. You’re entitled to your opinion on the rankings, but you keep throwing outbyoure a writer who is paid to produce written opinions and yet won’t justify your opinions. Simple question; what criterion do you use to justify ranking Slone and Thompson ahead of Justice?

Sorry missed your question the first time.

It’s easy. I think they’re better coaches.
I have watched all three. Justice is a great motivator but I have seen up close what happens during their games. I have sat behind their bench six times in two seasons. I have seen who draws the plays and who’s in charge in the huddles. I really don’t mean to sound rude but sometimes Justice looks lost. I was behind the bench for John Hardin, that last second play, all Newsome. It untelling how many times I have seen an assistant coach look at him and say call timeout.

I’m sorry people I just see it different than you
Randy McCoy

Hall of Fame resume.
Real Badman Wrote:Randy McCoy

Hall of Fame resume.

Agreed