Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2019 Preseason 2A Rankings
Who do you think will be in the top 10 this year?
1. Mayfield
2. Beechwood
3-10. We'll see.
2A loses a lot of powerful teams in DeSales, CAL, and NCC. Adding Beechwood mitigates that somewhat, but overall I still feel that the class is weaker this year than previously. Even so, I'll take a stab at the top ten.

1. Mayfield
2. Beechwood
3. Somerset
4. Owensboro Catholic
5. Danville
6. Murray
7. Walton-Verona
8. LCA
9. Glasgow
10. Prestonburg
I think Mayfield is #1 and it is likely not even close. They return a ton from a pretty darn good team. I'm not sold on Beechwood at #2, at least not early, they lost a ton from last year. I started a thread on 2A a couple months ago to learn who had what back. I think LCA can make some noise, they were young but good last year and will still be young. They will have a new coach so we will have to see if my prediction holds true. Danville like BW, lost a lot so how they do should be interesting. Caldwell Co moved down to 2A but I think they also lost a lot. Somerset will be interesting to watch, not sure what to expect from the Bunnies. I think Murray will be pretty good, Not sure about O Cath. Walton V lost a lot but they have been moving in the right direction I'm not sure what to expect from them. I think Glasgow moved up
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:I think Mayfield is #1 and it is likely not even close. They return a ton from a pretty darn good team. I'm not sold on Beechwood at #2, at least not early, they lost a ton from last year. I started a thread on 2A a couple months ago to learn who had what back. I think LCA can make some noise, they were young but good last year and will still be young. They will have a new coach so we will have to see if my prediction holds true. Danville like BW, lost a lot so how they do should be interesting. Caldwell Co moved down to 2A but I think they also lost a lot. Somerset will be interesting to watch, not sure what to expect from the Bunnies. I think Murray will be pretty good, Not sure about O Cath. Walton V lost a lot but they have been moving in the right direction I'm not sure what to expect from them. I think Glasgow moved up

Somerset lost a little, returns a lot. All of the playmakers on offense will be back. Defense may have some holes to fill. I would expect them to win this district again.

If the rumors are true, LCA has lost a couple kids to Douglass.

Danville graduated a lot but not sure what they return.
CarzyRock Wrote:2A loses a lot of powerful teams in DeSales, CAL, and NCC. Adding Beechwood mitigates that somewhat, but overall I still feel that the class is weaker this year than previously. Even so, I'll take a stab at the top ten.

1. Mayfield
2. Beechwood
3. Somerset
4. Owensboro Catholic
5. Danville
6. Murray
7. Walton-Verona
8. LCA
9. Glasgow
10. Prestonburg

Prestonsburg isn’t even the 2nd best team in their district.
I do believe that overall 2A is a lot weaker than before the redistrict. CAL if still in 2A would be really strong and DeSales always is
[quote=RoShamBo]

I’m curious about this rumor. LCA had 3 players transfer to Douglas last year. Happened to be three of Douglas’ starting OL. Also heard a player that left LCA last year and went to Prestonsburg is now back at Douglas this year. These were all players that left before last season. What have you heard?
Cobraxx Wrote:[quote=RoShamBo]

I’m curious about this rumor. LCA had 3 players transfer to Douglas last year. Happened to be three of Douglas’ starting OL. Also heard a player that left LCA last year and went to Prestonsburg is now back at Douglas this year. These were all players that left before last season. What have you heard?

Not much just heard a couple of their freshman playmakers last year were transferring to Douglass.
KYHSFB Wrote:Prestonsburg isn’t even the 2nd best team in their district.

I'll admit, I was shooting in the dark when it came to deciding 10th place.
RoShamBo Wrote:[quote=Cobraxx]

Not much just heard a couple of their freshman playmakers last year were transferring to Douglass.

Not what I’m hearing. I’ve heard the Douglas thing has ran its course after the other players left, to build a super team to win state, last year and it failed. According to folks I’ve talked to the appeal of the new school has run its course. Plus all these freshman played for the new Head Coach and he has a great bond with them.

Not what I’m hearing. I’ve heard the Douglas thing has ran its course after the other players left, to build a super team to win state, last year and it failed. According to folks I’ve talked to the appeal of the new school has run its course. Plus all these freshman played for the new Head Coach and he has a great bond with them.

I'll take your word for it. Like I said, it was just a rumor that I had heard or read somewhere.

Actually the player transferred to Paintsville and I also heard transferred back to Douglas
RoShamBo Wrote:[quote=Cobraxx]

I'll take your word for it. Like I said, it was just a rumor that I had heard or read somewhere.

Thanks for posting. Always curious about rumors so I checked with some very good sources. Always appreciated!
Patriot1 Wrote:[quote=Cobraxx]

Actually the player transferred to Paintsville and I also heard transferred back to Douglas

LCA to Paintsville to Frederick Douglas. Sounds legit to me.
Frank Martin Wrote:[quote=Patriot1]

LCA to Paintsville to Frederick Douglas. Sounds legit to me.

The KHSAA is a joke as far as transfers are concerned.
So are you guys saying transfers have hurt or is it the same young group that made a strong showing all back?
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:So are you guys saying transfers have hurt or is it the same young group that made a strong showing all back?

The young group from last year is all back.
Cobraxx Wrote:The young group from last year is all back.

Not sure they are title ready but they should be one of the better teams in 2A with those guys back
1) Mayfield
2) Somerset
3) Beechwood
4) LCA
5) Danville
6) Ob Catholic
7) Caldwell co
8) W.Verona
9) Murray
10) Shelby Valley
If Shelby Valley is in the top 10 2a must be way down. With their weak schedule it will finally hurt them in the playoffs with the seeding this year. Early out in the playoffs every year when meeting a decent team after playing a bunch of 2-3 win teams in regular season. Record looks good on paper though!!!
Whoever this is that had prestonsburg at #10 must be a homer or smoking crack. They didntveven win their district last year and won't win it this year.
Warriorhawk17 Wrote:Whoever this is that had prestonsburg at #10 must be a homer or smoking crack. They didntveven win their district last year and won't win it this year.

Lol, no to both. I just don't follow 2A very closely, and mistakenly remembered Prestonburg as being good.
Mayfield is gonna be a tough beat for Beechwood, it was WAY past time for the Tigers to go 2A
Im not buying into the Mayfield is the top in 2A this year. However, they very well may be getting a few transfers from Graves Co soon so that might change a few things.
plantmanky Wrote:Im not buying into the Mayfield is the top in 2A this year. However, they very well may be getting a few transfers from Graves Co soon so that might change a few things.

The Mayfield offense should be special, I think they question mark is how good they will be on defense but they should be very solid on defense. I would think they are the likely #1 but I'm sure they are in the conversation
MayfieldCardinal Wrote:The Mayfield offense should be special, I think they question mark is how good they will be on defense but they should be very solid on defense. I would think they are the likely #1 but I'm sure they are in the conversation

Come on MayfieldCardinal, they definitely are the cream of the crop this year. Mayfield is a top notch program every year and like I seen on some other threads would be in the top 5 in some of the other classes as well. Don’t know what they eat down there but keep it up it sure is working.
Danville will be a year away. I think they take some beatings with their schedule. They will be playing a lot of of sophomores and juniors. I wouldn't put them top 5 in class 2A.
plantmanky Wrote:Im not buying into the Mayfield is the top in 2A this year. However, they very well may be getting a few transfers from Graves Co soon so that might change a few things.

I'll be surprised if Mayfield doesn't win 2A this year.

As for transfers from Graves High....nope

You could see some county kids come in to the middle and elementary schools.
Now that DeSaled and CAL are gone you can start with Mayfield in the top 2 every year.