Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mountain Top Ten predictions
What do you folks think?
If it were me:
1. Johnson Central- Not sure how it can be anyone else.
2. Corbin- Think they earned this distinction with their 2nd straight Finals push.
3. Belfry- Not dominant as they used to be, but a very good team.
4. Pikeville- Loaded for a 1A school.
5. Pulaski County- Rebound year and reached Semi's, nice core back.
6. Bell County- Going to win a lot of game with their schedule.
7. Somerset- Should be as good as they have been in quite some time.
8. Southwestern- Went toe to toe with Pulaski but lost twice, also lost more production but still should be solid.
9. Knox Central- Reached Semi's in 4A in a weak region, should be a solid team all year.
10. Williamsburg- Dalton Ponder and two of his top receivers back.

Breathitt County and Paintsville lurking.
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If it were me:
2. Corbin- Think they earned this distinction with their 2nd straight Finals push.
8. Southwestern- Went toe to toe with Pulaski but lost twice, also lost more production but still should be solid.
9. Knox Central- Reached Semi's in 4A in a weak region, should be a solid team all year.

Good list

A couple of those need replaced with mountain schools Smile

TongueirateSho You nailed it EKUAlum05 for now . TongueirateSho
pjdoug Wrote:A couple of those need replaced with mountain schools Smile

Good lord pjdoug :Sad04: I want to see your top 10 :please:
Good list overall, but I'll be very surprised if Harlan County isn't there pretty early in the season. This year's team should be better than the regional champions two years ago.
I would say this years Harlan county team has a bigger and better o-line than the regional championship team the skill players might be a push. The oline has some big boys center 245, guards 260 and 270, tackles 280 and 295, ends 230 and 265 they should be able to block a little this year.
1. Johnson Central
2. Belfry
3. Pikeville
4. Pulaski Co
5. Corbin
6. Bell Co.
7. Somerset
8. Knox Central
9. Southwestern
10. Harlan Co.
1 Johnson Central
2 Belfry
3 Corbin
4 Pikeville
5 Pulaski Co
6 Knox Central
7 Bell County
8 Somerset
9 Southwestern
10 Breathitt Co

Paintsville, Williamsburg, Hazard, Harlan County, North Laurel all have shots. I just believe Breathitt is going to get a nod this year.
Knox Central won’t be there, they are way down heard they only have 32 kids out.
Who has Breathitt beat to put them in that category? Perry beat them pretty bad last year.
Love that JC respect.
I think we’re better than JC this year
Footballcrazyman Wrote:I would say this years Harlan county team has a bigger and better o-line than the regional championship team the skill players might be a push. The oline has some big boys center 245, guards 260 and 270, tackles 280 and 295, ends 230 and 265 they should be able to block a little this year.
Not saying that’s a small line buts Paintsville’s tackles are 340 and 300 their guards are 220 and 250 not to mention their 400 pound NG and 310 pound DE

Just because we (bell county) are going to win a lot of games does not make us deserve to be in the mountain top ten. You either think we deserve to be ranked 6th because we are the 6th best team in the mountains, or you don't. Schedule has nothing to do with it. I'm sick of hearing that getting hung over our kids heads.
bobcatpride1 Wrote:Just because we (bell county) are going to win a lot of games does not make us deserve to be in the mountain top ten. You either think we deserve to be ranked 6th because we are the 6th best team in the mountains, or you don't. Schedule has nothing to do with it. I'm sick of hearing that getting hung over our kids heads.

I would not have put Bell at #6 ahead of two teams who went to the Semi-Finals if they were some paper tiger.

Bell will have a very solid team period with the skill and experience they return, but to not acknowledge there are questions would be short sighted (especially with Frazier leaving).

The reason people keep bringing up schedule is because Bell County only played two games against a team who was even among the Top 15 teams in their respective class last year, those were both against Corbin and Bell lost by a combined score of 75-30. Using the Calpreps rating the only other team who was even ranked in the Top 100 in Kentucky was Casey County. Calpreps had Bell with only the 25th toughest Strength of Schedule in Class 3A last year.

I personally think Bell's schedule is considerably improved this year in their Defense. Though they lose Corbin: Knox Central will be solid, Harlan County should be improved, and South Laurel is an upgrade over their non-District foes from last year.
1. Johnson Central
2. Corbin
3. Belfry
4. Pikeville
5. Pulaski County
6. Bell County
7. Southwestern
8. Knox Central
9. Hazard
10. Harlan County
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:I think we’re better than JC this year

You think Belfry is better than anybody though. Come on son, put the red kool aid down every now and then.
BasketballFan23 Wrote:Not saying that’s a small line buts Paintsville’s tackles are 340 and 300 their guards are 220 and 250 not to mention their 400 pound NG and 310 pound DE
Geez has Paintsville been recruiting from the surrounding counties weight watcher meetings?
Tomcat Pride Wrote:Geez has Paintsville been recruiting from the surrounding counties weight watcher meetings?

Lol now that is funny!!!:biglmao:
HCS Wrote:Who has Breathitt beat to put them in that category? Perry beat them pretty bad last year.

Collins kid is back from Anderson. O'Hara along with a VERY good QB back. Watch out for the Bobcats this season.
Those people placing Bell Co. 6th & 7th on the list must be caught up in wishful thinking. I saw them play last year and thought they were a year away from being a contender. Whether you like Dudley or not will not matter. He will not be down long and those of you that will play them this year shouldn't be surprised if you come away with a loss. He didn't get to be the number one coach in wins in Ky by accident. I bet none of your head coaches have penciled in a win for that game.
backcountry Wrote:Those people placing Bell Co. 6th & 7th on the list must be caught up in wishful thinking. I saw them play last year and thought they were a year away from being a contender. Whether you like Dudley or not will not matter. He will not be down long and those of you that will play them this year shouldn't be surprised if you come away with a loss. He didn't get to be the number one coach in wins in Ky by accident. I bet none of your head coaches have penciled in a win for that game.

Pretty sure you are way off on number one coach in wins in Kentucky :okay:
64SUR Wrote:Pretty sure you are way off on number one coach in wins in Kentucky :okay:

Dudley was once tied for the all-time wins in Ky.
1. Belfry
2. Johnson central
3. Corbin
4. Ashland
5. Pikeville
6.raceland
7.paintsville
8. Shelby Valley
9.hazard
10. Russell
EKUAlum05 Wrote:I would not have put Bell at #6 ahead of two teams who went to the Semi-Finals if they were some paper tiger.

Bell will have a very solid team period with the skill and experience they return, but to not acknowledge there are questions would be short sighted (especially with Frazier leaving).

The reason people keep bringing up schedule is because Bell County only played two games against a team who was even among the Top 15 teams in their respective class last year, those were both against Corbin and Bell lost by a combined score of 75-30. Using the Calpreps rating the only other team who was even ranked in the Top 100 in Kentucky was Casey County. Calpreps had Bell with only the 25th toughest Strength of Schedule in Class 3A last year.

I personally think Bell's schedule is considerably improved this year in their Defense. Though they lose Corbin: Knox Central will be solid, Harlan County should be improved, and South Laurel is an upgrade over their non-District foes from last year.

Losing Frazier is NOT going to be a big loss. Guarantee you this.
Frazier is a definitely a loss that will be missed. That being said he only played on offense. We have a couple really good backs ready to pick up the slack.
1 Belfry
2 Johnson Central
3 Corbin
4 Pikeville
5 Somerset
6 Pulaski Co.
7 Bell Co.
8 Southwestern
9 Harlan Co.
10 Breathitt Co.
backcountry Wrote:Those people placing Bell Co. 6th & 7th on the list must be caught up in wishful thinking. I saw them play last year and thought they were a year away from being a contender. Whether you like Dudley or not will not matter. He will not be down long and those of you that will play them this year shouldn't be surprised if you come away with a loss. He didn't get to be the number one coach in wins in Ky by accident. I bet none of your head coaches have penciled in a win for that game.
I agree.