Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell County 57 Corbin 45 (13th Region QF)
Final from the Arena.  Bad end to the season for the Hounds, who finish at 22-9 .  Three seniors quit the team and one big junior was MIA all season.  That's the difference between a 22-win season and a 28-win campaign.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • 606CATS
Hard fought game. Shooters got chased for both teams. Bell had some kids step up and make some big 3’s in the 1st half. Go Cats!
Congrats to Bell County. I wouldn’t want to play this team right.
The big question is why those kids left the team and if this is a trend that will continue into the future. Like the writer Mark White asked where are the Corbin fans? Bell had a HUGE crowd, Corbin not so much or if they were there they were not into the game. At times it looked like the Hounds were ready for it to be over and had gone to the individual game. Tony P might be sliding farther down the list of coaches, even as far down as four or five. The is a true tipping point for Corbin.
(03-03-2022, 11:36 PM)LogCabinAbe Wrote: The big question is why those kids left the team and if this is a trend that will continue into the future.  Like the writer Mark White asked where are the Corbin fans?  Bell had a HUGE crowd, Corbin not so much or if they were there they were not into the game.  At times it looked like the Hounds were ready for it to be over and had gone to the individual game.  Tony P might be sliding farther down the list of coaches, even as far down as four or five.  The is a true tipping point for Corbin.
Outsider looking in here, but Pietrowski starting his son as an 8th grader had to play into some of it. Not knocking his son at all and don’t know anything about him, but I think it caused some problems.
(03-03-2022, 11:43 PM)Franchise Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 11:36 PM)LogCabinAbe Wrote: The big question is why those kids left the team and if this is a trend that will continue into the future.  Like the writer Mark White asked where are the Corbin fans?  Bell had a HUGE crowd, Corbin not so much or if they were there they were not into the game.  At times it looked like the Hounds were ready for it to be over and had gone to the individual game.  Tony P might be sliding farther down the list of coaches, even as far down as four or five.  The is a true tipping point for Corbin.
Outsider looking in here, but Pietrowski starting his son as an 8th grader had to play into some of it. Not knocking his son at all and don’t know anything about him, but I think it caused some problems.

I agree, nothing against the kid, but more than likely someone took a back seat because of the situation. In general, parents and fans hate to see this type of thing play out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheProfessor33's post:
  • Franchise
Congrats to Bell Co., they are just better than the Hounds. Corbin returns everyone who played quality minutes, so maybe next year they will have a legit shot.
Congrats to the Cats!! Killer game and didn’t even hold the ball that long! Ran through true offensive sets and only held the ball to end the half. Proved they can run away from a team if need be! Great game from Cole Hoskins off the bench and started the run.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gridiron_Raid's post:
  • Franchise
Maybe it’s just me but it just drives me insane how Sizemore holds the ball every single game. Don’t get me wrong it works and results in winning so I understand, and it’s also on the defense for not pressuring up. But I mean dear lord it’s worse than watching paint dry, people pay money to watch the kids play ball, not just sit there for 5 minutes at a time. The best thing for the game of basketball in kentucky would be to add a shot clock. No reason every level of basketball should have it and not high school. High school kids say all the time one of the hardest things in the transition to college ball is the shot clock. Having one in high school would also help better prepare players for the next level.
(03-04-2022, 12:45 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: Congrats to the Cats!! Killer game and didn’t even hold the ball that long! Ran through true offensive sets and only held the ball to end the half. Proved they can run away from a team if need be! Great game from Cole Hoskins off the bench and started the run.
The fact that you have to say “didn’t even hold the hall that long” lol. Holding the rock ruins the game.
(03-04-2022, 04:17 AM)basketballbilly17 Wrote: Maybe it’s just me but it just drives me insane how Sizemore holds the ball every single game. Don’t get me wrong it works and results in winning so I understand, and it’s also on the defense for not pressuring up. But I mean dear lord it’s worse than watching paint dry, people pay money to watch the kids play ball, not just sit there for 5 minutes at a time. The best thing for the game of basketball in kentucky would be to add a shot clock. No reason every level of basketball should have it and not high school. High school kids say all the time one of the hardest things in the transition to college ball is the shot clock. Having one in high school would also help better prepare players for the next level.

Did you go to the game? Because holding the ball had absolutely nothing to do with why Bell won this game. It game down to Bell shooting the ball way better.  Corbin shot just 36% overall, only 60% at the free throw line and a mind blowing 7.7% from 3pt (1/13). Bell was 49%overall, 74% free throws and 50% on three pointers (7/15).

The “holding the ball” is why they won argument does not really apply to this game, Corbin just flat out got beat by a better shooting, better defensive team, end of story. Corbin struggled to score against teams with tough defenses the last to games of the season, nothing more, nothing less in my opinion.
(03-04-2022, 12:13 AM)The Outsider Wrote: Congrats to Bell Co., they are just better than the Hounds.  Corbin returns everyone who played quality minutes, so maybe next year they will have a legit shot.
North returns everyone too so I don’t quite think next year will matter.
(03-04-2022, 04:17 AM)basketballbilly17 Wrote: Maybe it’s just me but it just drives me insane how Sizemore holds the ball every single game. Don’t get me wrong it works and results in winning so I understand, and it’s also on the defense for not pressuring up. But I mean dear lord it’s worse than watching paint dry, people pay money to watch the kids play ball, not just sit there for 5 minutes at a time. The best thing for the game of basketball in kentucky would be to add a shot clock. No reason every level of basketball should have it and not high school. High school kids say all the time one of the hardest things in the transition to college ball is the shot clock. Having one in high school would also help better prepare players for the next level.
Coaches get paid to win, not to entertain. Bell scores 90 and loses, what does that do? Make you feel better about the $10 you spent? Same can be said about a running team in football. Boring to watch, but it works. By the way, how many of those kids are going to play at the next level. They are playing for the name written across their chest. I’ve got a feeling that you shouldn’t even bother to watch the North/Bell game.lol. Bell can’t win an up & down the floor type of game. Being methodical gives them the best chance to win, so why not?
(03-03-2022, 11:00 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Final from the Arena.  Bad end to the season for the Hounds, who finish at 22-9 .  Three seniors quit the team and one big junior was MIA all season.  That's the difference between a 22-win season and a 28-win campaign.
IMO, Karma has visited Coach P for playing 8th grader and freshmen over those Seniors. Those three Seniors and big Junior could start and play anywhere else in 13th Region. Corbin won’t be winning District or Region anytime soon IMO..seen one of those Seniors sitting in Bell County Student Section and man he was cheering on Bell County hard. Gotta love how stuff plays out in the end.

Yes this trend continues and more players quit and transfer. Might be sliding? Done slid IMO..
[-] The following 1 user Likes Playcaller66's post:
  • Bull got out!
Congratulations Coach Sizemore and Coach Maxey!!
Coach P is a great coach. It would be hard to coach your own kid regardless if they can play or not. His son can play though. It was probably a blessing when a few of his players quit. They wasn’t basketball players and had horrible attitudes. Corbin’s overall talent was down this yr but they will be back. It’s Corbin. Congrats to Bell.
(03-04-2022, 09:10 AM)Franchise Wrote:
Coaches get paid to win, not to entertain. Bell scores 90 and loses, what does that do? Make you feel better about the $10 you spent? Same can be said about a running team in football. Boring to watch, but it works. By the way, how many of those kids are going to play at the next level. They are playing for the name written across their chest. I’ve got a feeling that you shouldn’t even bother to watch the North/Bell game.lol. Bell can’t win an up & down the floor type of game. Being methodical gives them the best chance to win, so why not?
Pretty sure when basketball was invented it wasn’t made with the mindset of holding the ball half the game. To me it’s just playing scared. It’s admitting you’re not good enough to win playing the right way and we’re scared you’re gonna beat us so let’s hold the ball so you can’t. But it don’t matter because north won’t let them do that. When they finally play a team that wants to play real ball and not slow mountain ball their run will be over. Not to mention you’re comparing getting your hands in the dirt and running the ball down someone’s throat, to standing at half court holding the ball because you’re scared of the other team. Those two are not even remotely close to the same thing. I would even be willing to say they are complete and total opposites.

Just as an aside, MARK WHITE  is a dufus a$$ .

(03-04-2022, 02:03 PM)momentoftruth Wrote: Coach P is a great coach. It would be hard to coach your own  kid regardless if they can play or not. His son can play though. It was probably a blessing when a few of his players quit. They wasn’t basketball players and had horrible attitudes. Corbin’s overall talent was down this yr but they will be back. It’s Corbin. Congrats to Bell.

Yeah, I think Eli will be a really nice player eventually. I tend to agree that, most likely, the players who quit had bad attitudes. They are very athletic youngsters and could have played contributing roles had they bought in to the "team first" concept. Seems like they might have been pretty selfish kids.  The big junior had his own problems on the gridiron this past season. It may be an attitude problem with him as well. I would say Tony doesn't tolerate kids with bad attitudes.
(03-04-2022, 09:01 AM)Fan of many Wrote:
(03-04-2022, 12:13 AM)The Outsider Wrote: Congrats to Bell Co., they are just better than the Hounds.  Corbin returns everyone who played quality minutes, so maybe next year they will have a legit shot.
North returns everyone too so I don’t quite think next year will matter.

South loses 1 starter and returns 7 of their 9 man rotation (6 of which will be Seniors). Its not going to get any easier for Corbin next year.

Did you go to the game? Because holding the ball had absolutely nothing to do with why Bell won this game. It game down to Bell shooting the ball way better.  Corbin shot just 36% overall, only 60% at the free throw line and a mind blowing 7.7% from 3pt (1/13). Bell was 49%overall, 74% free throws and 50% on three pointers (7/15).

The “holding the ball” is why they won argument does not really apply to this game, Corbin just flat out got beat by a better shooting, better defensive team, end of story. Corbin struggled to score against teams with tough defenses the last to games of the season, nothing more, nothing less in my opinion.

I’m not sure how or why that comment showed up again but it wasn’t on purpose.

It looks like the 13th region should be strong again next season with multiple top quality teams competing for the championship. I would be very surprised if North Laurel isn’t at the top from start to finish.
(03-04-2022, 02:41 PM)basketballbilly17 Wrote:
(03-04-2022, 09:10 AM)Franchise Wrote:
Pretty sure when basketball was invented it wasn’t made with the mindset of holding the ball half the game. To me it’s just playing scared. It’s admitting you’re not good enough to win playing the right way and we’re scared you’re gonna beat us so let’s hold the ball so you can’t. But it don’t matter because north won’t let them do that. When they finally play a team that wants to play real ball and not slow mountain ball their run will be over. Not to mention you’re comparing getting your hands in the dirt and running the ball down someone’s throat, to standing at half court holding the ball because you’re scared of the other team. Those two are not even remotely close to the same thing. I would even be willing to say they are complete and total opposites.
Whoa Billy Boy! The error in your thinking starts with playing basketball the right way is your way. lol. Scared and strategy are two totally opposite things. If your strength is driving the ball and a team plugs up the lane, why not make them come out. I guess in the pre shot clock college basketball era, legendary Dean Smith was scared too. lol. Just because you don’t like it, it doesn’t make it wrong. I can imagine Billy coaching against North Laurel, “by golly we may get beat by 50, but we’re running with them”. North will have to come out and defend or you’ll see more of the same. I think Bell is disciplined enough not to get into a running game with them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Franchise's post:
  • fansville
Some of you all are talking out of the wrong end of your body to say these kids that quit can’t play and have bad attitude’s some didn’t get the chance to show if they could play or not by setting on the bench getting to play 30 second’s you can’t hardly get to breathe but 3 or 4 times you are back on the bench I know for sure two of the four have more defensive skills that most coaches dream of lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes 606CATS's post:
  • Playcaller66
Ok basketball billy, which is obviously what you are, you must have missed the game with exception of 1 min and 12 seconds. I watched the game and personally expected brad to hold the ball the whole game. He didn’t other than those 72 seconds before the end of the first half, which he should have. Woolum, Burnett, and callebs had 2 fouls and they didn’t need to get another one. They also didn’t need corbin to have another offensive possession. The second half bell had possession much longer but ran through offensive sets and attacked the basket. Corbin could have run up and guarded burnett at the top of the key for the 72 seconds but didn’t. Then in the second half they tried to guard the ball but couldn’t force any turnovers. I hate it for you that you had to make a new account to get your point across. Maybe… just maybe… Bell county won because they beat corbin in every single statistical category. Just a thought partner  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gridiron_Raid's post:
  • Franchise
(03-04-2022, 07:28 PM)606CATS Wrote: Some of you all are talking out of the wrong end of your body to say these kids that quit can’t play and have bad attitude’s some didn’t get the chance to show if they could play or not by setting on the bench getting to play 30 second’s you can’t hardly get to breathe but 3 or 4  times you are back on the bench I know for sure two of the four have more defensive skills that most coaches dream of lol

Tony P's gonna be a HOF coach when all is said and done. So you think you know better than the future HOF'er as to how to use his personnel?  I'll defer to Pietrowski's knowledge of his team. The only thing that can sometimes cloud otherwise good judgement are when players are also family. It can leave you open to criticism, especially from parents of upperclassmen who lose playing time to coaches' sons.  I don't think Tony would play his son to the detriment of his team if he thought other players offered the team a better chance to win.

(03-04-2022, 09:42 AM)Playcaller66 Wrote:
(03-03-2022, 11:00 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Final from the Arena.  Bad end to the season for the Hounds, who finish at 22-9 .  Three seniors quit the team and one big junior was MIA all season.  That's the difference between a 22-win season and a 28-win campaign.
IMO, Karma has visited Coach P for playing 8th grader and freshmen over those Seniors. Those three Seniors and big Junior could start and play anywhere else in 13th Region. Corbin won’t be winning District or Region anytime soon IMO..seen one of those Seniors sitting in Bell County Student Section and man he was cheering on Bell County hard. Gotta love how stuff plays out in the end.

Yes this trend continues and more players quit and transfer. Might be sliding? Done slid IMO..

First off Playcaller, I don't believe you about the former Corbin player cheering on Bell Co. Having said that, if you are telling the truth, shame on that kid. Says a lot about the kid's character and that Tony was right in keeping him on the bench.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • 606CATS
(03-04-2022, 10:22 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-04-2022, 07:28 PM)606CATS Wrote: Some of you all are talking out of the wrong end of your body to say these kids that quit can’t play and have bad attitude’s some didn’t get the chance to show if they could play or not by setting on the bench getting to play 30 second’s you can’t hardly get to breathe but 3 or 4  times you are back on the bench I know for sure two of the four have more defensive skills that most coaches dream of lol

Tony P's gonna be a HOF coach when all is said and done. So you think you know better than the future HOF'er as to how to use his personnel?  I'll defer to Pietrowski's knowledge of his team. The only thing that can sometimes cloud otherwise good judgement are when players are also family. It can leave you open to criticism, especially from parents of upperclassmen who lose playing time to coaches' sons.  I don't think Tony would play his son to the detriment of his team if he thought other players offered the team a better chance to win.

First off Playcaller, I don't believe you about the former Corbin player cheering on Bell Co. Having said that, if you are telling the truth, shame on that kid. Says a lot about the kid's character and that Tony was right in keeping him on the bench.
He was in the Bell student section, but he has been for weeks. He’s always been a Bell kid. He just went to Corbin to play football.
(03-04-2022, 11:44 PM)Franchise Wrote:

He was in the Bell student section, but he has been for weeks. He’s always been a Bell kid. He just went to Corbin to play football.

Still not a classy thing to do. Just recently left the team and now cheering against them. Very disrespectful to his teammates that he quit on. Good riddance, young man!!! Sound like he has a lot of maturing to do.

I don’t care if you believe me or not. The kid is allowed to sit and cheer for whomever he wants. My daughter pointed him out to me in Bell Student section and I thought it was great team spirit. I don’t know the kid but am told he is a great young man.
(03-05-2022, 09:20 AM)Playcaller66 Wrote:

I don’t care if you believe me or not. The kid is allowed to sit and cheer for whomever he wants. My daughter pointed him out to me in Bell Student section and I thought it was great team spirit. I don’t know the kid but am told he is a great young man.
If it is who I think it is, you won’t find a better young man. I know the family and they are top notch.
It’s hilarious how a thread about a high school basketball game has turned into the shame of a high school kid cheering on his LIFELONG friends he grew up with! People can talk all they want about coaches or administrators or refs whatnot, but to talk bad about a kid? Better yet, a kid not even on the floor! Take a look in the mirror guys geez.

Anyways he was cheering for the winning team so maybe he got his priorities straight  ;)
[-] The following 2 users Like Gridiron_Raid's post:
  • Franchise, Playcaller66
(03-05-2022, 11:52 AM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: It’s hilarious how a thread about a high school basketball game has turned into the shame of a high school kid cheering on his LIFELONG friends he grew up with! People can talk all they want about coaches or administrators or refs whatnot, but to talk bad about a kid? Better yet, a kid not even on the floor! Take a look in the mirror guys geez.

Anyways he was cheering for the winning team so maybe he got his priorities straight  Wink
I wonder if Coach P and his recent Corbin teammates think he has his priorities straight.  Whether he's a good kid, bad kid, or just immature, it's a very bad look to quit on your team and then just a few weeks later heartily cheer against them from the opponents' section.  Tells me he had no real loyalty to his team when he was on the team and riding the pine. I'd say coach P wasn't terribly disappointed when the kid ghosted.  Tony loves his squads and he couldn't have been too happy with the trio who wouldn't buy in to his "team first" philosophy.  Coach would concur--- good riddance!

I don't think any of his Corbin teammates will be treating him to a footlong and root beer at the Root Beer Stand anytime soon.