Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Do You Think About 6 -8th Graders Playing High School Basketball
I Think If They Can Handle It Then Play Them.
Agree
I feel that if the child is advanced in their skill level they should not be held back due to their age or grade level. I know in my personal experience it helped me to build on my skills. Playing against older players with more experience only helps you identify your own strengths and weaknesses and makes you step it up a notch if you are a really serious player.

Another facter that you have to take into consideration is the size of the school. If you are a smaller school it is more likely that you will play/dress younger players on your JV and Varsity.
I would have to agree if they can handle it let them play
I have even seen 7th graders play high school ball.
i see no problem with it..it will give them expierence for when they are in high school
I've watched basketball games all over the state of Ky, but in Eastern Ky it 's like some of the better young players really dont get the chance to show what they can do. When you keep those kids on the bench and play kids with less talent, the confidence level of that kid will be at almost nothing. You should play those young kids now or risk them not playing later. And lately, I see that happening quite a bit as it is.
ballcrazy Wrote:I've Watched Basketball Games All Over The State Of Ky, But In Eastern Ky It 's Like Some Of The Better Young Players Are Really Dont Get The Chance To Show What They Can Do. When You Keep Those Kids On The Bench And Play Kids With Less Talent, The Confidents Level Of That Kid Will Be At Almost Nothing. You Should Play Those Young Kids Now Or Risk Them Not Playing Later , And Lately I See That Happing Quite A Bit Now As It Is.

I could not agree with you more! :Thumbs:
I think it is ok to pull up an exceptional 8th grader, but I don't think I would go any lower that that for varsity play
ballcrazy Wrote:I've Watched Basketball Games All Over The State Of Ky, But In Eastern Ky It 's Like Some Of The Better Young Players Are Really Dont Get The Chance To Show What They Can Do. When You Keep Those Kids On The Bench And Play Kids With Less Talent, The Confidents Level Of That Kid Will Be At Almost Nothing. You Should Play Those Young Kids Now Or Risk Them Not Playing Later , And Lately I See That Happing Quite A Bit Now As It Is.

dude, that hurts my eyes.. quit with the caps, its hard for ppl to read
mrfootball03 Wrote:dude, that hurts my eyes.. quit with the caps, its hard for ppl to read

Dude.... I fixed it! Wink
I've seen a lot of 7th and 8th grade boys play varsity basketball and baseball. I don't think it hurt them one bit. The only side effect I've seen is a slightly swollen head.Big Grin
ballcrazy Wrote:I've watched basketball games all over the state of Ky, but in Eastern Ky it 's like some of the better young players really dont get the chance to show what they can do. When you keep those kids on the bench and play kids with less talent, the confidence level of that kid will be at almost nothing. You should play those young kids now or risk them not playing later. And lately, I see that happening quite a bit as it is.

I agree that it is a shame that some younger players with more talent have to sit on the bench while other players with less talent are on the floor. But, one has to determine if talent will win out or experience. Those other players have paid their due riding the pine pony and they feel that it is their turn. How can a coach justify putting a 7th grader in a game over a Senior that has been on the team since 7th grade. Furthermore, most of this comes from parents not being able to see the ability of their child. They only see their child and not the team concept. After all, I have heard the saying "Everyone thinks their crow is the blackest," all my life. Well, until people see what goes on in practice day in and day out and open their eyes to the fact that their children aren't as good or even as strong as some of the other older players, let's just leave the playing time decision up to the coaches that spend more time with these atheletes than most of their parents do. [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/ima.../icon7.gif]
I think a coach should put the best players on the floor. It doesn't matter what grade they are in. If a 5th grader is the best player then she should get to play! Just My Opinion.
I would have to agree with you , junk yard dog.
Their is a lot of talanted 6,7, and 8th grader playing high school ball, if they have the talent ...... MORE POWER TO THEM and we can watch them blossom in real ball players
I dont thank there is a problem with it Mosley from kcc sturdivant from pcc both played as 6th 7th and 8th graders they were ready. The girl from breathit last year should how she could take over a game she was ready Colet Cole play as a 7th grader she was ready. I agree if they are ready let them play i thank they should still play jv and maybe freshman ball to get more experience. I however do not agree with the way the boys and girls grade school season are set up and i know that its so girl players can cheer lead to but it keeps grade school boys who are able to play at the high school level it cheats them out of the grade school carrier the seasons use to be at the same time why not now.
Junk Yard Dog Wrote:I think a coach should put the best players on the floor. It doesn't matter what grade they are in. If a 5th grader is the best player then she should get to play! Just My Opinion.

Ditto
If they can play like the big dogs and play with the big dogs, let them play with the big dogs.
yea, let them play if they can handle it.
It doesnt matter what grade their in.

Coaches should play the best players no matter what.
ballcrazy Wrote:I Think If They Can Handle It Then Play Them.

I totally agree.
Hoopla Wrote:I agree that it is a shame that some younger players with more talent have to sit on the bench while other players with less talent are on the floor. But, one has to determine if talent will win out or experience. Those other players have paid their due riding the pine pony and they feel that it is their turn. How can a coach justify putting a 7th grader in a game over a Senior that has been on the team since 7th grade. Furthermore, most of this comes from parents not being able to see the ability of their child. They only see their child and not the team concept. After all, I have heard the saying "Everyone thinks their crow is the blackest," all my life. Well, until people see what goes on in practice day in and day out and open their eyes to the fact that their children aren't as good or even as strong as some of the other older players, let's just leave the playing time decision up to the coaches that spend more time with these atheletes than most of their parents do. [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/forum/ima.../icon7.gif]
I agree!

What is this year's seventh grader going to think when they are a senior and that year's "more talented" seventh grader gets more playing time.

Let the kids play in their age appropriate group - everyone will reap the benefits.
IF that seventh grader is better ,he/she should play . AS a coach should'nt you still play the best player.
I totally agree! And there are plenty out there who should be playing over juniors/seniors! Parents are just going to have to get over it!
Breathitt County had a 7th grade girl who was MVP of the 14th region tournament last year.

Laurel County started an 8th grade girl at guard when they won one of their state tournaments.
I think it is okay to bring up a "exceptional" 8th grader if they are out there, but no younger than that. I have seen first hand the negative effects of bringing up the younger ones (6th-7th). Go up to high school level play in a game here and there and get the ball taken away, throw the ball away, etc... etc... Then come back down and play in a Middle School game and they have lost all confidence. Sad
I think it should be okay to do, if they can handle it.
THATS funny you would say that , because i've seen 9-12th graders do the same thing so whats your point .
MY last post is for you CREEKER . THEIR are plenny of older kid that play worst than some 6-8th graders, so bring the younger kids up and give them a shot.
My point is Ballcrazy, when they come back down and play with the kids they used to stand out against they look like just another 6-7th grader because there confidence has been shattered by playing high school ball at such a young age. Not to mention that many of them get burnt out on the game completely by the time they actually reach their high school years. That's just my 2 cents...