Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are your Little League All-stars picked?????
Russell -Flatwoods has coaches vote for 10 and who ever gets the team gets 2 picks. Just wondering how it is out there.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
As far as I know Fleming-Neon also picks in that format.
Not here!! Each coach has a ballot and they vote.. THEN the player agent or president goes thru the ballots and finds the players who received the "most" voted points.. (lowest is highest if ya know what I mean)......Example:

1. Bubba
2. Dude
3. Stifler
4. Happy Gilmore
12. Midee

Do ya see what I mean????
LMAO!!!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
phs1986 Wrote:Not here!! Each coach has a ballot and they vote.. THEN the player agent or president goes thru the ballots and finds the players who received the "most" voted points.. (lowest is highest if ya know what I mean)......Example:

1. Bubba
2. Dude
3. Stifler
4. Happy Gilmore
12. Midee

Do ya see what I mean????
LMAO!!!!

I was always the kid that got picked last.:Sad04:

If I actually had feelings you may have hurt them.
I personally think that all 12 need to be voted on instead of picking 2 if you are the coach. When a coach picks his buddies little boy in stead of a kid who can really play ... it just seems like it hurts the team and the other kids who deserve to be there.
Just my opinion, thats all.
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Here in Johnson Co Cal Ripken/Babe Ruth, each manager in their division has one vote, 4 league directors(vice-pres, player agent, division director, and director of umpires) each have a vote, and then the league president is the tie-breaker vote in any case needed. All divisions have an even number of teams (4 10under softball coach pitch teams, 6 12under softball, 2 16under softball, 10 8under coach pitch baseball, 6 10under baseball, 4 12under baseball, and 2 15under baseball) that play in All-star tourneys, but it is still rare that a tie-breaker is needed.
Each person turns in a ballot with their top 12. Votes are tallied and top 12 vote getters are announced as the All stars, with the next 2 as alternates. The manager of the team winning the regular season title is awarded the All star team, and he makes his picks for 2 coaches from anyone else in that division.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
When I played in Pikeville, the Coaches voted and players voted. The players votes counted for like 10% of the vote, so it wasn't much of a factor. They would have a meeting, and count the votes and make a list to be posted. I still remember going up at about 12:30 at night to see if I made the team one year, when I saw my name it was one of the best feelings ever.
But most of the time at Neon, if you say you want to play all-stars you get to play because only 12, 13,14 kids said they wanna play, I know that most other kids in other leagues have to be voted for to play.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:I personally think that all 12 need to be voted on instead of picking 2 if you are the coach. When a coach picks his buddies little boy in stead of a kid who can really play ... it just seems like it hurts the team and the other kids who deserve to be there.
Just my opinion, thats all.

I agree!!! Each coach (manager) in each division should turn in a ballot and should have voted for the amount of players that the local league decided to take to all-stars. AND...

Midee... You made the team.. and I couldn't pass up on that one!!! LOL.... Smile I just got you back for some of the meaness you give me!!! LMAO....

When I played Little League, all stars were voted on by players and the coaches. Also, we didnt have kids opting not to play like we do nowadays.
By the way little handbook recomends.

coaches
players
umpires
board members
managers

It's not perfect but i think it is the best way to it,and yes there is still a lot of Politics involved.
All Stars should be about the best players, I have heared that certian leagues will pick thier favorite 9 then add 3 players to sit the bench and be 1 at bat and 3 defensive out kids. And leave better players off so they won't compete with the with the original 9.
I know from going to the state tourney last year.. you better bring your best 12 or stay home. Why take a team that doesnt have the best players on it.. some say to have fun and the sport of the game. I am paying around 500-800$ and taking OUR family vacation to do this. I can see why parents get mad when you go and get beat by one run or two and know if you had the 3 players that should have been there, things could have been different. I have heard of taking kids that it is their first year playing but because DADDY has money and can help pay for a trip and kids who made the team last year have to sit!!!!
I understand about playing the sport for sport thats why every kid is mandated to play... ALLSTARS is whole different story.

All I know is that this year we better win state and go undefeated or someone will have the wrath of parents on them forever for not taking the best players to the tourney. From the parents of the kids that deserve to be there and see kids who dont need to make it,,,, and the parents of the kids that stay home because they are not picked and watch kids be picked before them who may have not played baseball until this year. Funny how good a kid gets the more that his parents can do for the team.

I know it may seem like I am whining but I can not figure it out, politics and adults kill the allstars when it comes to who goes.

I say take every board member and coach and go into a room and pick the 12, set that 12 and send them to bring back a state championship.

any thing less is just uncivilized!!!!!
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:I know from going to the state tourney last year.. you better bring your best 12 or stay home. Why take a team that doesnt have the best players on it.. some say to have fun and the sport of the game. I am paying around 500-800$ and taking OUR family vacation to do this. I can see why parents get mad when you go and get beat by one run or two and know if you had the 3 players that should have been there, things could have been different. I have heard of taking kids that it is their first year playing but because DADDY has money and can help pay for a trip and kids who made the team last year have to sit!!!!
I understand about playing the sport for sport thats why every kid is mandated to play... ALLSTARS is whole different story.

All I know is that this year we better win state and go undefeated or someone will have the wrath of parents on them forever for not taking the best players to the tourney. From the parents of the kids that deserve to be there and see kids who dont need to make it,,,, and the parents of the kids that stay home because they are not picked and watch kids be picked before them who may have not played baseball until this year. Funny how good a kid gets the more that his parents can do for the team.

I know it may seem like I am whining but I can not figure it out, politics and adults kill the allstars when it comes to who goes.

I say take every board member and coach and go into a room and pick the 12, set that 12 and send them to bring back a state championship.

i agree with what you are saying.

i have heared of different leauges sitting older better players or make sure they leave them off altogether. so thier sons and buddies sons would make it and get most of the playing time.and they had no shame in doing it either. they would rather lose with their picks rather than win with the no name kids. but i guess it happes a lot of places.
Capt. DH Wrote:When I played Little League, all stars were voted on by players and the coaches. Also, we didnt have kids opting not to play like we do nowadays.

kids are smart they know what's going to happen.if thier not IN with the crowd then they sit all the time. so they say the heck with it.

i have heared of leagues electing certian kids hoping they will quit so they can play who they want and as much as they want.
All-stars can't be announced until June 15th. Have they already announced at some places???

If you are going to play that way... pick 12 parents that can see who can give the most money...
I will take 12 kids that can pl ay the best ball...
Here is another thing:
I coach to make kids better and try to teach them, others coach to make sure that their kid has a spot on the all-stars. For the last 2 years in baseball I have NOT coached for this reason, I dont want parents to say that I do that, my son makes it onhis own in everything he does.... Back to politics, politics.

As a coach you have to deal with- "Play my son at third base, or let my son pitch!"
Now do you put the kid in those positions and have him scared, humiliated becasue he can not play them or know that he just can not play those positions and you follow the parents wishes and then you ruin the child altogether.????

Coaching is hard, and there is alwasy someone that can do it better. Sometimes we should just let that happen.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:If you are going to play that way... pick 12 parents that can see who can give the most money...
I will take 12 kids that can pl ay the best ball...
Here is another thing:
I coach to make kids better and try to teach them, others coach to make sure that their kid has a spot on the all-stars. For the last 2 years in baseball I have NOT coached for this reason, I dont want parents to say that I do that, my son makes it onhis own in everything he does.... Back to politics, politics.

As a coach you have to deal with- "Play my son at third base, or let my son pitch!"
Now do you put the kid in those positions and have him scared, humiliated becasue he can not play them or know that he just can not play those positions and you follow the parents wishes and then you ruin the child altogether.????

Coaching is hard, and there is alwasy someone that can do it better. Sometimes we should just let that happen.

Great Points!!!!!!!!
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:I know from going to the state tourney last year.. you better bring your best 12 or stay home. Why take a team that doesnt have the best players on it.. some say to have fun and the sport of the game. I am paying around 500-800$ and taking OUR family vacation to do this. I can see why parents get mad when you go and get beat by one run or two and know if you had the 3 players that should have been there, things could have been different. I have heard of taking kids that it is their first year playing but because DADDY has money and can help pay for a trip and kids who made the team last year have to sit!!!!

I remember watching a few of your games down there, you looked pretty

good, but I get your point, you would be that much better and those 3 kids

that deserved to be picked would put you over the top. I was down there

because I played for FN 11/12. And before someone asks why I was in Little

League, I got the 5th year because of that rule change LL made.
Jshort5 Wrote:I remember watching a few of your games down there, you looked pretty

good, but I get your point, you would be that much better and those 3 kids

that deserved to be picked would put you over the top. I was down there

because I played for FN 11/12. And before someone asks why I was in Little

League, I got the 5th year because of that rule change LL made.

My son fell into that rule change as well. He JUST turned 14 but is playing Jr. League as a 13 year old this year.

Some thoughts on here are why I am against parents coaching anything above Midget League/Pee Wee/Little League.

When you put parents coaching their kids into situations on picking all-stars etc. you end up having serious problems
phs1986 Wrote:My son fell into that rule change as well. He JUST turned 14 but is playing Jr. League as a 13 year old this year.

That is the exact same situation I'm in.
NEXT Wrote:Some thoughts on here are why I am against parents coaching anything above Midget League/Pee Wee/Little League.

When you put parents coaching their kids into situations on picking all-stars etc. you end up having serious problems

Basically, little league is completely volunteers. When you have 22+ teams in a league its hard to not have a parent involved in the coaching process. I know personally, having my husband as well as other family members coaching my child has been both positive and negative for him. He definatly is worked VERY hard and yet, he gets it at home as well as the ballfield!! LOL.... He feels as though he can't make a mistake. This makes it hard for him as he puts a lot of pressure on himself. I myself have been president of a little league and I didn't let coaches vote for their own teams. Seeing as their child was on their team this took care of some of the "stigmatism" associated with the voting process of little league all-stars. I guess at the next level it depends on the kid, parent, community, and sport!! LOL

I agree PHS1986,, I know that there are parents who can coach and then are parents who can not and their motive is to take care of their child. I see now and and in the past... I think that a coach/manager should not be able to vote for kids on his team. This is a great idea. i would love to see this happen at our place.
Oh and believe me I know about getting at home too. It never stops.
Oh and for the person who called a RFLL baseball boardmember today and told them that I was posting things about him and his son on the internet, please show me where I have said anyones name, NOW if my postings on here have lead you to believe I was pointing out someone individually..... Please have the "B A L L Z" to post your response and since "who ever" knows my personal identification have broken the rules of this list by indentifying members by name and then making it public to others,,,,, well Dont you wish you could have the character to make a difference. If "you" (person in question) are a board member at RFLL or the aquaintence of a board member, please take the opportunity to make a difference and stop making ASSUMPTIONS that lead others to think I am speaking of them.
This person called me today,,,,, we talked and hopefully he knows that this post was not about him. His son is a very good ballplayer and he is a great person.

I have posted a situation that occurs at little leagues across the nation.... NOW that I have your attention.. lets work on a way to fix it so it will not continue.
Now lets see how many board members want to chime in and find a solution to this problem.
OH and feel free to tell others- "person in question" about this post too as it may give some direction since you cant figure it out!!!!
Jshort5 Wrote:But most of the time at Neon, if you say you want to play all-stars you get to play because only 12, 13,14 kids said they wanna play, I know that most other kids in other leagues have to be voted for to play.
Right, and didn't you all win your district last year? I know the past 10 years, the have barely had 12 sign up. Then I was talking to Bob Lions, and he said that they have around 150-200 kids eligible, lol. Maybe it was more, can't remember.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Right, and didn't you all win your district last year? I know the past 10 years, the have barely had 12 sign up. Then I was talking to Bob Lions, and he said that they have around 150-200 kids eligible, lol. Maybe it was more, can't remember.

Yes sir, that gave us the chance to play in Bowling Green! On our way down there some of my teammates said that they weren't even going to try because they knew we were gonna get beat. Well that really ****ed me off so I told them that if they weren't gonna try then I will try my best and it would make them look bad. So I did just that I went 4/5 and had a double. I think we only scored like 3 runs down there, and got mercied all 3 games. But I know I tried my best and thats all I can do.
Jshort-- thats what it takes to be a winner son, It takes a child to play his heart out, to do his best and to continue to play no matter what the cost. I am glad to have you on here so I can be blessed by your posts.
Great job, !!!!!!!!!!
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Jshort-- thats what it takes to be a winner son, It takes a child to play his heart out, to do his best and to continue to play no matter what the cost. I am glad to have you on here so I can be blessed by your posts.
Great job, !!!!!!!!!!

I agree with ya on that one!! JShort... your posts are very sincere and I personally can't wait to try to figure out which one you are this year!!! See ya at the games!!!

Thanks guys I really appreciate your comments! PHS, if Neon Junior League plays you all I am #5, either 2nd base or Shortstop.
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Oh and for the person who called a RFLL baseball boardmember today and told them that I was posting things about him and his son on the internet, please show me where I have said anyones name, NOW if my postings on here have lead you to believe I was pointing out someone individually..... Please have the "B A L L Z" to post your response and since "who ever" knows my personal identification have broken the rules of this list by indentifying members by name and then making it public to others,,,,, well Dont you wish you could have the character to make a difference. If "you" (person in question) are a board member at RFLL or the aquaintence of a board member, please take the opportunity to make a difference and stop making ASSUMPTIONS that lead others to think I am speaking of them.
This person called me today,,,,, we talked and hopefully he knows that this post was not about him. His son is a very good ballplayer and he is a great person.

I have posted a situation that occurs at little leagues across the nation.... NOW that I have your attention.. lets work on a way to fix it so it will not continue.
Now lets see how many board members want to chime in and find a solution to this problem.
OH and feel free to tell others- "person in question" about this post too as it may give some direction since you cant figure it out!!!!

I thought we were discussing what goes on in LL a lot of places and no particular LL. Sounds like somebody has a guilty conscience. Who ever went and told this is nothing more than a troublemaker AND THERES PLENTY OF THEM TO GO AROUND.