Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rodney Rowe named 15th region coach of the year
Congrats to Rodney Rowe. I will say this! No one pays more attention to details than him. His hard work and dedication to SV program will continue to show.
good job coach rowe
Thats #2 for him. He also won it in 2001 with the SV boys team. Concrats to Coach Rowe.
Congrats to coach Rowe
was that named by the 15th region coaches association, the news express, the khsaa, or what organization?
Congrats Coach Rowe,job well done!
maybe i am not your typical sv fan who goes around with a mist of blue fog in my eyes, but i think of the coach of the year as a person who won all games they should have and stole a few they shouldn't. i can't honestly look back and think of one game we won this year that we shouldn't have won and i can think of several games i felt we would win that we didn't. hootie says, the girls just didn't come to play. when you are as talented as we were the last two years, the girls should come to play most always. i look at a coach who takes a young team like betsy layne and takes them into the semi-finals of the region as an overachiever as a first year coach. i look at sheldon clark who have several 8th graders, freshmen, and sophomores and beat magoffin co., paintsville, johnson central, sv, and several teams they should not have beaten, and i see a coach of the year. we did not win the district, although myself and everyone except phelps felt we should. we did not win our first round game over paintsville in the region although they lost their 10 point home court advantage by having to play on a neutral court. again, name me one game we won that we should not have. then tell me how many you felt we should have. we lost the district to pikeville last year which we had rapped up all year. we lost embarrassingly on our own floor, then went on to the expo center to find ourselves down to johnson central 54-17 in the third quarter when they took pity sake on us. we have not had two banner years. lets take j r vanhoose for instance, j r took a team of scattered players who apparently could not play for other coaches and put a team together this year who won this district, that is another coach of the year candidate. rodney is a great guy who i know and like, but coach of the year, i think someone needs to rethink that one. i know that katsfan says my name should be noLuv4SV but at least i can think for myself. i am not too in love with sv to see what is in front of me. i am in no way putting rr down, he works as hard or harder than any coach in this region, but show me the results. 19 wins is a good acomplishment that many coaches in this region would love to boast about, but he did have most of his team back and had a transfer of probably the best big girl in the 15th. again, all due respect for rodney, but why has he never won the big game as a girls coach. he did as boys coach, i think he is more suited for boys although katsfan and all the girls seem to be very fond of him. he is a very likeable person and a GOOD coach. you separate yourself from others when you do the seeminly impossible not the obvious. this is my opinion and that is what this forum is about. thanks for reading this and i am open for response. just remember, we all have an opinion. in the mean time, i am watching for something seeminly impossible to separate him from others.
Wow! What a comment by you.I have kept track with the Rowe boys and all they they have done is win.I think it was the KABS AWARD.I think coach Adams won it with LCC.iF THE COACHES VOTE ON IT THEY HAVE A BETTER IDEA THAN WE DO ON WHO SHOULD WIN IT.G ood job Coach Rowe and good luck with your team next year.People like LU SV IS WAY I hate reading this. Say something good or say nothing!
I too am a SV fan, and I think Rodney Rowe is a good coach, but to say Coach of the Year (this year) might be a stretch. I have to agree with LuvSV on this one. I see a coah of the year in Darren Rice from Sheldon Clark...taking a program that hasn't really been all that great in the past little while and turning it around with sophomores, freshman and eigth graders. I see a coach of the year in J.R. Vanhoose...I don't know if Phelps has ever been this good. And I see a coach of the year in someone like Betsy Lane first year coach (an underdog, now in the semi's) and lastly Big Phil from Johnson Central, he might have the talent he needs, but there is no denying he is one heck of a coach. So congrats Rodney, but I don't think it was your year.
LuvSV Wrote:maybe i am not your typical sv fan who goes around with a mist of blue fog in my eyes, but i think of the coach of the year as a person who won all games they should have and stole a few they shouldn't. i can't honestly look back and think of one game we won this year that we shouldn't have won and i can think of several games i felt we would win that we didn't. hootie says, the girls just didn't come to play. when you are as talented as we were the last two years, the girls should come to play most always. i look at a coach who takes a young team like betsy layne and takes them into the semi-finals of the region as an overachiever as a first year coach. i look at sheldon clark who have several 8th graders, freshmen, and sophomores and beat magoffin co., paintsville, johnson central, sv, and several teams they should not have beaten, and i see a coach of the year. we did not win the district, although myself and everyone except phelps felt we should. we did not win our first round game over paintsville in the region although they lost their 10 point home court advantage by having to play on a neutral court. again, name me one game we won that we should not have. then tell me how many you felt we should have. we lost the district to pikeville last year which we had rapped up all year. we lost embarrassingly on our own floor, then went on to the expo center to find ourselves down to johnson central 54-17 in the third quarter when they took pity sake on us. we have not had two banner years. lets take j r vanhoose for instance, j r took a team of scattered players who apparently could not play for other coaches and put a team together this year who won this district, that is another coach of the year candidate. rodney is a great guy who i know and like, but coach of the year, i think someone needs to rethink that one. i know that katsfan says my name should be noLuv4SV but at least i can think for myself. i am not too in love with sv to see what is in front of me. i am in no way putting rr down, he works as hard or harder than any coach in this region, but show me the results. 19 wins is a good acomplishment that many coaches in this region would love to boast about, but he did have most of his team back and had a transfer of probably the best big girl in the 15th. again, all due respect for rodney, but why has he never won the big game as a girls coach. he did as boys coach, i think he is more suited for boys although katsfan and all the girls seem to be very fond of him. he is a very likeable person and a GOOD coach. you separate yourself from others when you do the seeminly impossible not the obvious. this is my opinion and that is what this forum is about. thanks for reading this and i am open for response. just remember, we all have an opinion. in the mean time, i am watching for something seeminly impossible to separate him from others.

Your right you are not your typical SV fan. I would go to say that you are not a fan at all. That was a very negative post and now I regret posting this thread. I want you to know that when a coach gets the award it is not just for him but the program that includes two assistants, and thirty young ladies that worked very hard this year.

I think you may need to apply for the job next year. I am ashamed to think that you are apart of our community, but there is always someone that thinks they know a lot about basketball that gets on here and hides behind a nickname.

By the way last year we did beat Pikeville but that was with the best defender this side of the Mississippi, Sally Roberts. I would go to say that we over acheived last year. You take Carroll from Paintsville, Booth from Sheldon Clark, AD Slone from PCC, and see how well those teams finish out the year.Confusedhh:
To be selected COY by the KABC you have to be a member of the KABC. Sometimes deserving coaches don't get selected due to the fact that they are not members of this coaching organization.
Two 15 regional titles
One WYMT title(1st Pike County team to win it)
Two All "A" regional titles(one boys,one girls)
Statewide coach of the year in 2001
Two time 15 th region coach of the year/KABC(one boys/one girls)
3 time 15th region coach of the year/media voted
3 time coach of the year in Pike County
Coached 3 all star games
Coach Rowe has accomplished more in his career than most dream of.

Nuff said!
Congratulations Coach Rowe. Keep up the good work. 99% of the Valley community loves you and the job you do coaching these girls in basketball as well as life. Again, congrats on the award. Enjoy.
hootie Wrote:Your right you are not your typical SV fan. I would go to say that you are not a fan at all. That was a very negative post and now I regret posting this thread. I want you to know that when a coach gets the award it is not just for him but the program that includes two assistants, and thirty young ladies that worked very hard this year.

I think you may need to apply for the job next year. I am ashamed to think that you are apart of our community, but there is always someone that thinks they know a lot about basketball that gets on here and hides behind a nickname.

By the way last year we did beat Pikeville but that was with the best defender this side of the Mississippi, Sally Roberts. I would go to say that we over acheived last year. You take Carroll from Paintsville, Booth from Sheldon Clark, AD Slone from PCC, and see how well those teams finish out the year.Confusedhh:
Hootie i will agree with you above statement and it's a shame that some can coach so well from the computer,Rodney has done a great job with the girls and if voted in by others coaches someone must have appreciated something he done,as a fan i do.

I hate to say this but you are wrong about beating pikeville last year, they beat Valley 3 times,all after Sally got hurt.

Sally got hurt in the phelps game Jan 7 2008
PHS-61 SVHS-54 in overtime Feb 2 2008
PHS-52 SVHS 45 Feb 12 2008
PHS-54 SVHS 48 district Champ Feb 28 2008
Congrats Coach Rowe
Coach Rowe is an excellent coach but as far being Coach of the Year, don't think so. Mt vote would have to go to Rice at Sheldon Clark. No team faced the adveristy his team did this season as he one starter quit the team after the All A state tournament and then had two starters from the previous year that did not even play this year, one which averaged a double double for the season. He started two eighth graders and he sused at least more eighth graders off te bench. His team won 20 games, won the All A regional, defeated Phelps twice as well as Shelby Valley and made it to the All A state semifinals and became the first team in region history to have to play four games to get into the regional tournament. If that is not worthy offff coach of the yar honors I don't know what is:1:
Down and Out Wrote:Coach Rowe is an excellent coach but as far being Coach of the Year, don't think so. Mt vote would have to go to Rice at Sheldon Clark. No team faced the adveristy his team did this season as he one starter quit the team after the All A state tournament and then had two starters from the previous year that did not even play this year, one which averaged a double double for the season. He started two eighth graders and he sused at least more eighth graders off te bench. His team won 20 games, won the All A regional, defeated Phelps twice as well as Shelby Valley and made it to the All A state semifinals and became the first team in region history to have to play four games to get into the regional tournament. If that is not worthy offff coach of the yar honors I don't know what is:1:

COACH DARRIN RICE SHOULD OF BEEN COACH OF THE YEAR AFTER DOING SUCH A GREAT JOB THIS YEAR WITH WHAT OBSTACLES HE HAD TO OVERCOME.. GREAT JOB BY THE GIRLS ( YOUNG ONES AT THAT).. WHOEVER VOTED FOR COACH OF YEAR DOESN;T KNOW THEIR BASKETBA:Thumbs:
Congrats Coach Rowe!! You deserve it!
"Two 15 regional titles
One WYMT title(1st Pike County team to win it)
Two All "A" regional titles(one boys,one girls)
Statewide coach of the year in 2001
Two time 15 th region coach of the year/KABC(one boys/one girls)
3 time 15th region coach of the year/media voted
3 time coach of the year in Pike County
Coached 3 all star games
Coach Rowe has accomplished more in his career than most dream of.

Nuff said!"

I agree...great coach. One of the best the region has ever seen...I supported him under the boys thread about best coach in the region history....however, I felt this year was not his year. Coach Rowe is awesome, but this year there were people who battled throught a lot more and I think they deserved the spotlight.
Congrats Coach Rowe! I think you do an outstanding job!! :Cheerlead
oldfoggie13 Wrote:COACH DARRIN RICE SHOULD OF BEEN COACH OF THE YEAR AFTER DOING SUCH A GREAT JOB THIS YEAR WITH WHAT OBSTACLES HE HAD TO OVERCOME.. GREAT JOB BY THE GIRLS ( YOUNG ONES AT THAT).. WHOEVER VOTED FOR COACH OF YEAR DOESN;T KNOW THEIR BASKETBA:Thumbs:

They may not know their basketball, but Coach Rowe definitely does.
BASICBALL Wrote:Hootie i will agree with you above statement and it's a shame that some can coach so well from the computer,Rodney has done a great job with the girls and if voted in by others coaches someone must have appreciated something he done,as a fan i do.

I hate to say this but you are wrong about beating pikeville last year, they beat Valley 3 times,all after Sally got hurt.

Sally got hurt in the phelps game Jan 7 2008
PHS-61 SVHS-54 in overtime Feb 2 2008
PHS-52 SVHS 45 Feb 12 2008
PHS-54 SVHS 48 district Champ Feb 28 2008

I stand corrected! I was thinking that of the year before that.
DortonWildcat5 Wrote:They may not know their basketball, but Coach Rowe definitely does.

COACH RICE DEFINITELY KNOWS HIS BASKETBALL ALSO BECAUSE THE STATS PROVED IT FROM THIS YEAR..

YOUNG TEAM.... 20 GAMES WIN.. ALL A REGIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP.
FINAL 4 ALL A TOURNAMENT.. ONLY TEAM TO HAVE TO PLAY 4 GAMES TO MAKE IT TO REGIONAL TOURNAMENT.. AND THATS SAYS IT ALL...

5 8TH GRADERS ON TEAM IN WHICH 2 STARTS... OFF BENCH WITH 2 EIGHT GRADERS... BEST GUARD IN 15 REGIONAL... BOOTH... 2 MORE GREAT YEARS WITH THE LADY CARDS.....

THEY ARE BACKKKKKKKKKKKKK

:flame:
I find it so sad,NO i find it so sick that a simple congrats can't be said and leave it at that.
Congrats, Coach Rowe-----good Job!!!
LadyKatFan Wrote:I too am a SV fan, and I think Rodney Rowe is a good coach, but to say Coach of the Year (this year) might be a stretch. I have to agree with LuvSV on this one. I see a coah of the year in Darren Rice from Sheldon Clark...taking a program that hasn't really been all that great in the past little while and turning it around with sophomores, freshman and eigth graders. I see a coach of the year in J.R. Vanhoose...I don't know if Phelps has ever been this good. And I see a coach of the year in someone like Betsy Lane first year coach (an underdog, now in the semi's) and lastly Big Phil from Johnson Central, he might have the talent he needs, but there is no denying he is one heck of a coach. So congrats Rodney, but I don't think it was your year.

There is no doubt that Rodney is a good coach. Many people are going to have different opinions is they think he is COY. You mention Darren Rice? I'm inclined to think Robin Harmon has more to do with their success than Darren. J.R.? Anyone should be able to coach an all-star team. I just wish there were more girls from Phelps to root for. And by the way, Phelps had a couple of teams in the late 80's that won the region that these girls couldn't touch, and they were all home-grown girls. I don't know if Coach Wireman still does this, but he used to coach the middle school team as well. He made sure the girls had a good foundation and was ready for his high school program. In my opinion, he's COY every year.
Congrats Coach Rowe!
Coach Rowe is a good coach, but JR should have been coach of the year in my opinion.......maybe he just is a member of the basketball coaches group that votes. Call it an All-Star team, call it whatever you want.............I call it a 20 win season and still playing. I just don't understand why some people have to try and drag down success others have..........

Coach Rowe is a heck of a man, but I'm not sure this season was deserving of COY award.........Wireman, yes, Rice, maybe, VanHoose, Yes.......The coach at PCC, didn't do a bad job.............Coach Baldwin at Paintsville also had a nice season. Lots of GOOD Coaches had a lot of good seasons........
AV22 Wrote:Coach Rowe is a good coach, but JR should have been coach of the year in my opinion.......maybe he just is a member of the basketball coaches group that votes. Call it an All-Star team, call it whatever you want.............I call it a 20 win season and still playing. I just don't understand why some people have to try and drag down success others have..........

Coach Rowe is a heck of a man, but I'm not sure this season was deserving of COY award.........Wireman, yes, Rice, maybe, VanHoose, Yes.......The coach at PCC, didn't do a bad job.............Coach Baldwin at Paintsville also had a nice season. Lots of GOOD Coaches had a lot of good seasons........

I'm not trying to drag anyone down. Anyone could have won twenty games with that team. I know this is a COY award but the true test of a coach is how well he builds programs. That is why Coach Rowe is deserving, Coach Wireman, and others...not JR. After this year it will be a very, very long time before Phelps has another winning season. We will see next year how well he does with the girls he has had three years to work with.
He must have blocked your shot into the 7th row..........You have to understand ..........the sun doesn't set on SV your butt. If he was your coach you would have him in the SV hall of fame....there's nothing wrong will being loyal, just be real. Would Coach Rowe have turned the girls down if they had came to SV?

Like I said Coach Rowe is a good man and a good coach, I really like the guy