Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Counting Down 2010's Top 10 Teams
Another site is counting down the top 10 teams for next year, so thought I'd start a thread to get some input on what they have so far. We start with the 10 spot:

10. Lexington Catholic

Lexington Catholic surprised everyone when they knocked off Scott County, the favorite to win the state championship, 68-67 in the championship game of the Region 11 tournament. The Knights lose one of the states best players in Vee Sanford but coach Brandon Salsman returns a good group of players.

Replacing Sanford's 22.3 points per game won't be easy. The top candidate to replace him is sophomore-to-be Jaylen Beckham. Beckham averaged 11.1 points per game as a freshman. Many consider him the top prospect in the class of 2012. The 6-foot-0 guard is already hearing from several colleges, including Florida, Kentucky and Tennessee.

Joining him in the back court will be junior-to-be Scott Schuette. The 6-foot-3 Scuette averaged 7.4 points per game last season. He shot 38.1 percent fom three point range.

Expect 5-foot-10, William Talbott to get minuets as well.

Taylor Martin, a 6-foot-4 small forward/shooting guard, averaged 10.4 points and five rebounds during his sophomore season. The junior-to-be should have another solid season.

He will be joined in the front court with 6-foot-7, 190 pound forward/center Tanner Peurach. Peurach, who will be a senior next season, averaged 7.1 points and 3.4 rebounds per game last season. He must improve his rebounding average but he should get better over the summer.

Expect 6-foot-7, senior-to-be Hall Conrad to get more minutes next season as well.

The development of Beckham will be key to Lexington Catholic's success. If he continues to improve, the Knights will be tough to beat.

Scott County will be the favorite to win the Region 11 championship but don't count the Knights out. They will be very good also and if they can beat them in 2009, who knows what can happen in 2010,
9. Male

Before the 2008-2009 season started, Male was considered one of the favorites to win the Region 7 championship. However, they struggled and finished the season 16-12. But with guards Kevin Glenn and D'Carlo Hayes returning, the future looks bright for the Bulldogs.

Hayes will be back at point guard. The 5-foot-11 senior-to-be has shown a lot of promise. Last summer led Male to the championship of the Derek Smith shootout and took home MVP honors.

Back in December he was named to the Canfield Development King of the Bluegrass All-Tournament Team. He averaged 18.3 points per game in the King of the Bluegrass.

Glenn has a lot of potential as well. The 6-foot-1 senior-to-be is very athletic and has a nice outside shot. He plays out of control at times but if he can learn to let the game come to him he will be one of the top players in Region 7 next season.

Kevin Pillischafske was out until January with a foot injury and losing him for a good portion of the season really hurt. The 6-foot-2 senior-to-be is one of the best shooters in the state. He will 100 percent next season, so look for him to have a big year.

Also returning is forward Tony Horne. The 6-foot-3 senior-to-be is very athletic and he is a very good at crashing the glass and getting rebounds.

There is no question Male was a better team than their 16-12 record indicated. They had one of the toughest schedules in the state. Male played Franklin (WA) in the King of the Bluegrass, Byran Station, Tates Creek and Madisonville twice and they beat Region 5 champion Adair County. They also had to play Eastern and Jeffersontown twice in the region.

Male has a lot of talent and they should be a much better team next season. Pillischafske's return will be big because it will take some of the pressure off Glenn and Hayes to score. Also, playing that tough schedule can only make a team better. Look for Male to make a run at the Region 7 championship in 2010.
8. Christian County

Led by senior Corey Wilford, Christian County won the Region 2 championship in 2009. Wilford and his 17.6 points per game are gone but the Colonels return several key players from last seasons team. Christian County checks in at No. 8 on KentuckyPreps.com's countdown.

Wilford will be missed but the cupboard is far from bare. Senior-to-be Shaquille Wilson returns and he will play shooting guard. The 6-foot-4, 170 pound Wilson is very athletic and very versatile. He can score in a verity of ways. Wilson can hit the outside jumper but he's a this best when he drives to the basket.

Wilson averaged 11.3 points per game as a junior. Expect that average to go up, as he becomes the go-to guy on offense.

Joining Wilson in the back court will be Veontae Lewis. The 5-foot-11, 180 pound junior-to-be, averaged 9.6 points per game last season.

Also returning is Anthony Hickey. The 5-foot-11, 150 pound junior-to-be, averaged 7.8 points per game last season, coming off the bench.

The front court will be solid as well, led by one of the team's most versatile players Donovan Kates. The 6-foot-5, 190 junior-to-be averaged 11.4 points per game last season. Kates could have a break out season.

Joining Kates in the front court will be 6-foot-4, 205 pound senior-to-be Malcolm McDuffen and 6-foot-0, 190 pound junior-to-be Marcoreyon Tandy. McDuffen averaged 3.5 points per games last season, while Tandy averaged 5.7 points per game.

Christian County should be the consensus favorite to repeat as Region 2 champions in 2009-2010. They lost to Holmes in the first round of the KHSAA Sweet 16 this season but they could make some noise in Rupp Arena in 2010.
7. Warren Central

We head out to Region 4 were we find the Dragons of Warren Central. Warren Central entered last season as the favorite to the Region 4 championship and make it to Rupp Arena but those dreams were crushed when they lost to Russell County. Despite the lose, Warren Central still appears to be the favorite once again.

The bad news for Warren Central is they lose two of their best players, Pete Winn and Scooter Lightfoot, to graduation. The good news is they return two of the best players in the state.

Jordan Shanklin is an explosive point guard. The 5-foot-11, 160 pound junior-to-be has a great mid-range jumper. He's getting letters from several colleges, including Kentucky, South Carolina, Baylor and Purdue. Western Kentucky has already offered.

The other standout that is sure to give opposing coaches trouble is forward George Fant. The 6-foot-6 junior-to-be, is long and very athletic, with a seven foot wingspan. Like his teammate, Fant is getting his fair share of looks from colleges as well. Cincinnati, Kentucky, Louisville, Purdue, Tennessee, Xavier and Western Kentucky have all sent letters.

Several other key contributors are also returning. Center Brent Jackson, forward Shamarcus Wells and guard Troy Halcomb are all back for their senior seasons.

Shanklin and Fant are the two best players in Region 4. Both will play Division I college basketball someday. With another year of experience under their belt and a good supporting cast,coach Tim Riley and his Warren Central Dragons could be playing deep into March in 2010.
6. George Rogers Clark

Clark County's hopes of making to the 2009 KHSAA Sweet 16 came to an end, when they lost to Mason County 43-51 in the Region 10 championship game. Now they must look to the future and the future looks bright for the Cardinals. They return a lot of talent, including big man Vinny Zollo.

Point guard Robbie Stenzel returns to anchor the back court. The 6-foot-3, junior-to-be averaged 16 points and five assists per game last season. Stenzel is a great offensive player. He shoots the three extremely well and he can finish around the rim.

Stenzel is also a great ball handler. He ranked seventh on his team in turnovers, which isn't bad considering he has the ball in his hands most of the time. Colleges from all across the country are showing interest in Stenzel, including Oklahoma State, Mississippi State, Mississippi and Virginia Commonwealth.

Clark County coach Scott Humphrey got a early Christmas present last summer when Zollo decided to transfer to Clark County from Greenfield (OH). Zollo decided to make the move after giving a verbal commitment to the University of Kentucky. He is the only underclassman still committed to UK, after Billy Gillispie was let go and John Calipari was hired.

Clark County might have one of the states best front courts next season, led by Zollo. The 6-foot-8, 215 pound forward junior-to-be averaged 14 points per game last season. Zollo has improved tremendously since last summer and should continue to improve.

Joining Zollo in the front court will be Cory Rogers and Travis Purvis. Both players stand 6-foot-4 and both will be juniors next season.

Clark County loses two seniors, Robert Hatton and Ryan Williams, to graduation but with Stenzel and Zollo returning, and a good supporting case around them, Clark County will enter the 2009-2010 season as the favorite to win the Region 10 championship.
5. Shelby Valley

Shelby Valley ran through Region 15 last season and all the way to Rupp Arena for the KHSAA Sweet 16. With several key players returning, including leading scorer Elisha Justice, the Wildcats look poised to win Region 15 again. They check in at No. 5 on the countdown.

Justice will anchor the back court and play point guard. The 5-foot-11, 167 pound senior-to-be averaged 17.1 points last season. He is a great shooter, good ball handler and he's pretty athletic.

He's also a great defender. Justice is on pace to break the state record for steals. The record is 499 and Justice will enter the season with 413.

Justice has Division I potential. He's hearing from several schools, including Arkansas, Marshall, Liberty, Eastern Kentucky and Morehead State.

Joining Justice in the back court will be Tyler Newsome. The 6-foot-5, 190 pound senior-to-be averaged 7.7 points per game coming off the bench last season. Cody Varney will get minuets at the guard position as well.

The front court will take a hit, after 6-foot-10 Devin Adams graduates. Adams averaged 10 points and 5.7 rebounds per game last season. His size will be missed.

The best front court player returns. Ashley Hatfield averaged 12.9 points per game last season. The 6-foot-6, 185 pound senior-to-be has the potential to play college basketball. He is a good shooter, who can go inside or outside and be productive.

Also returning to the front court is Taylor Newsome. The 6-foot-3, 203 pound forward averaged 8.6 points per game last season and a team high 8.5 rebounds per game.

Justice and Hatfield are the two best players in Region 15. They should have no trouble winning another Region 15 championship in 2010. This team, however, has bigger goals than just winning another regional championship. Their goal is to make a deep run in the KHSAA Sweet 16 and there's no question they have the talent to play on Saturday night.
4-3-2-1 to come at a later date...stay tuned.

Thoughts so far?
Looks good so far!
4. Jeffersontown

Jeffersontown had defeated Eastern two times last season, when the two met in Region 7 championship game. The third time was a charm for Eastern, as they defeated the Chargers 54-66 and went on to the KHSAA Sweet 16 in Rupp Arena. Despite the loss, Jeffersontown coach Jeff Morrow has the talent to make another run, including one of the states top prospects Aaron Cosby.

The Chargers have one of the best back courts in the state. They return five quality guards, including Thomas Jackson, who will run the point. The 5-foot-9 senior-to-be averaged over 14 points per game as a junior. He is one of the top point guard prospects in the state. Jackson has scholarships offers from Georgia State, Wright State and North Carolina A&T.

The lefty is very quick and athletic. He can hit the mid range jumper and he is great at getting to the basket and scoring or getting fouled. He also has experience on his side. He helped lead the Chargers to the state tournament in 2008 as a sophomore.

Joining him in the back court will be Cosby. Cosby averaged also averaged over 14 points per game as a junior. Cosby is one of the top candidates to win the 2010 Mr. Basketball award. He currently holds 10 scholarship offers.

Cosby is a great shooter. He can hit the three or drive to the basket and use his athletic ability to score.

The other three back court player are 5-foot-11 Russell Dillard, 5-foot-11 Sam Tolliver and 6-foot-0 Desmond Dorsey. Dillard and Tolliver will be seniors next season, while Dorsey will just be a sophomore.

Dorsey is the one to watch. He started several games this season and he's one of the top players in the class of 2012.

The only question mark is the front court. Jeffersontown losses one of the states top centers in 6-foot-10 Jordan Reeves. Reeves, who will college ball at the University of Texas at Arlington, provided an inside presence that no one else in Region 7 had. He could score down low and he was a great defender.

Replacing him won't be easy but the top candidates to do so are 6-foot-3 Trey Porter and 6-foot-3 Daniel Ross. Porter will be a senior next season, while Ross while be a sophomore.

There's no question, Jeffersontown has the talent to win the Region 7 championship and maybe even the state championship.
Valley is getting a new guard to play along side Justice. Zach Ramey, came from Pikeville. He can replace Logan Bryant easily. So id say they'll be right back at Rupp again, but with Newsome as Center. We'll have to see if he can produce down low
If...Then Wrote:Valley is getting a new guard to play along side Justice. Zach Ramey, came from Pikeville. He can replace Logan Bryant easily. So id say they'll be right back at Rupp again, but with Newsome as Center. We'll have to see if he can produce down low

Zach is good, but he cannot EASILY replace Logan's defensive intensity.

Newsome is why Valley beat Male at the Expo two years ago, he has all the capabilities, also was Valley's leading rebounder this past season with guys like Tackett and Adams on the floor.
Looking forward to next season already!!
Valley is not a top 10 team in the state.

Yes, they return Justice, Hatfield and Newsome. But, let's not get carried away with Tyler Newsome and Cody Varney, just yet. Next season, Varney will be dared to shoot, as he was in the regional tournament against Lawrence Co. Also, next season their will be some added pressure to Tyler Newsome as he steps into the starting role for an entire year, for the first time in his career. Some players just play better off the bench, due to the lack of pressure IMO.

Don't know who the Ramey kid is, but Valley's bench will determine what they do next season. And due to lack of Varsity experience and lack of depth, winning the region and having another 25+ win season will be hard to come by. Not saying they can't win 25+ games, just saying they wont be as easy as last season.

Valley's defense this past season was intense. They lose alot more than they think. Logan Bryant(great great defender, yes i said great twice), Devan Adams(6'10 center, that anchored the middle of that defense and the 2-2-1 press), and Curby Tackett(6'7 center, who backed up Adams, and also helped anchor the back end of that defense. The point I'm trying to make is, Varney has a chance to do what Bryant did, Varney plays good defense, He's taller than Bryant, but I think Bryant was the better shooter out of the two. Losing Adams and Tackett, will force Valley to not be as aggressive up front, due to goal protection or will force them to add more pressure, which will hurt them IMO, once again due to the lack of depth and experience.

I do realize though, they have a possible Mr. Basketball candidate in Justice.

Good Luck Valley on the upcoming season and also Good Luck Justice on bringing Mr. Basketball back to the 15th.
If...Then Wrote:Valley is getting a new guard to play along side Justice. Zach Ramey, came from Pikeville. He can replace Logan Bryant easily. So id say they'll be right back at Rupp again, but with Newsome as Center. We'll have to see if he can produce down low

What grade is Zach in?
MisterPerfect Wrote:What grade is Zach in?

I think he will be a Junior this coming season. Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks
He will be a senior.
play_maker Wrote:He will be a senior.

Thank You.
Who will be #3?????
Because everyone here knows Holmes and Scott Co are #1 and #2
Holmes/UKfan Wrote:Who will be #3?????
Because everyone here knows Holmes and Scott Co are #1 and #2

I was wondering the same thing.

I was actually somewhat surprised to see GRC at #6. I thought for sure they'd be pre season #3 with what they return.

My only logical guess is it will be Eastern...defending 7th region champs and they return 3 starters from that team...6'2 Remy Abell, 6'4 Lyonell (sp?) Gaines, and 6'1 Delquan Thomas.

Those three alone are enough to lead Eastern back to Rupp.
kywldcat01 Wrote:I was wondering the same thing.

I was actually somewhat surprised to see GRC at #6. I thought for sure they'd be pre season #3 with what they return.

My only logical guess is it will be Eastern...defending 7th region champs and they return 3 starters from that team...6'2 Remy Abell, 6'4 Lyonell (sp?) Gaines, and 6'1 Delquan Thomas.

Those three alone are enough to lead Eastern back to Rupp.

I thought GRC would be too. Maybe it will be Central l:lmao:
Holmes/UKfan Wrote:I thought GRC would be too. Maybe it will be Central l:lmao:

Highly unlikely. Central loses three senior starters in Wilson, Morrison, and Robinson.

I'd say it's gonna be Eastern.
kywldcat01 Wrote:Highly unlikely. Central loses three senior starters in Wilson, Morrison, and Robinson.

I'd say it's gonna be Eastern.

I believe it will be Eastern as well.
uhavenoidea Wrote:Valley is not a top 10 team in the state.

Yes, they return Justice, Hatfield and Newsome. But, let's not get carried away with Tyler Newsome and Cody Varney, just yet. Next season, Varney will be dared to shoot, as he was in the regional tournament against Lawrence Co. Also, next season their will be some added pressure to Tyler Newsome as he steps into the starting role for an entire year, for the first time in his career. Some players just play better off the bench, due to the lack of pressure IMO.

Don't know who the Ramey kid is, but Valley's bench will determine what they do next season. And due to lack of Varsity experience and lack of depth, winning the region and having another 25+ win season will be hard to come by. Not saying they can't win 25+ games, just saying they wont be as easy as last season.

Valley's defense this past season was intense. They lose alot more than they think. Logan Bryant(great great defender, yes i said great twice), Devan Adams(6'10 center, that anchored the middle of that defense and the 2-2-1 press), and Curby Tackett(6'7 center, who backed up Adams, and also helped anchor the back end of that defense. The point I'm trying to make is, Varney has a chance to do what Bryant did, Varney plays good defense, He's taller than Bryant, but I think Bryant was the better shooter out of the two. Losing Adams and Tackett, will force Valley to not be as aggressive up front, due to goal protection or will force them to add more pressure, which will hurt them IMO, once again due to the lack of depth and experience.

I do realize though, they have a possible Mr. Basketball candidate in Justice.

Good Luck Valley on the upcoming season and also Good Luck Justice on bringing Mr. Basketball back to the 15th.

Wow. They are easily top 10 man. Virgie and Dorton both made it to the state finals when these boys were in middle school. I say it will be another old Virgie-Dorton combination. They are top 10 and should make it to state. If you make it to state your in the top 10 man.
Mr.Rainman Wrote:Wow. They are easily top 10 man. Virgie and Dorton both made it to the state finals when these boys were in middle school. I say it will be another old Virgie-Dorton combination. They are top 10 and should make it to state. If you make it to state your in the top 10 man.

Not necessarily.

Of the final top 10 teams this past year, only 3 were from a region other than the 7th, 9th, or 11th. (Elliott Co, Shelby Valley, Corbin)

11th region had 3 teams in the top 10. (Scott Co, Lexcath, Franklin Co)
7th region had 3 teams in the top 10. (Ballard, J'town, Eastern)

Of the teams who made it to the sweet 16 this past year, only 6 were ranked in the top 10. (Holmes, Eastern, Elliott Co, Corbin, Shelby Valley, Lexcath)

And out of those top 10 teams, only Holmes and Elliott Co made it to the semi's.

Just because you make it to the sweet 16 doesn't guarantee that you're a top 10 team...see Eastern's Elite 8 loss to Central.

Historically, regions 12-16 are VERY WEAK regions and regions such as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 8 are average regions. None of those compare to the 7th, 9th, 10th, or 11th. All 4 of those regions have atleast 2 or 3 teams every year that would win any other region.
I do think that Shelby Valley is a top 10 team, but I do not think that they can compete with teams such as Holmes, Scott County, Eastern, Jeffersontown, etc.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I do think that Shelby Valley is a top 10 team, but I do not think that they can compete with teams such as Holmes, Scott County, Eastern, Jeffersontown, etc.

I agree
Mr.Rainman Wrote:Wow. They are easily top 10 man. Virgie and Dorton both made it to the state finals when these boys were in middle school. I say it will be another old Virgie-Dorton combination. They are top 10 and should make it to state. If you make it to state your in the top 10 man.

WOW! Easily Top 10? That's a bold statement. Should make it to state? Is that a doubt, if their easily top 10, they should have no problems at all right? If you make it to state your Top 10? I thought it was called the Sweet 16. Just because you make it from the 15th, dont mean you should be ranked that high man. You go down to Lexington and Louisville and win those regions or be in the title game or something of that nature and then your easily top 10.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:I do think that Shelby Valley is a top 10 team, but I do not think that they can compete with teams such as Holmes, Scott County, Eastern, Jeffersontown, etc.

Im sorry, but this really doesnt make sense to me. Their top 10, BUT they cant compete with those 4 and a few others, i presume since you added the etc.

So your saying a Top 10 team cant compete with the first 5 or so teams?:please:
uhavenoidea Wrote:Im sorry, but this really doesnt make sense to me. Their top 10, BUT they cant compete with those 4 and a few others, i presume since you added the etc.

So your saying a Top 10 team cant compete with the first 5 or so teams?:please:

Shelby Valley just doesn't have the talent to compete with those teams because they are loaded with college players. That doesn't mean that they still cannot be top 10 team, beacuse they are. Elisha makes that team, that good! No one in the state can defend him.
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Shelby Valley just doesn't have the talent to compete with those teams because they are loaded with college players. That doesn't mean that they still cannot be top 10 team, beacuse they are. Elisha makes that team, that good! No one in the state can defend him.

I'll echo you on that one, BCA.

If anyone says otherwise, then obviously haven't seen this kid play.