Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Season: Fall/Winter 2009/2010
For those of you that seen the Turkey Season thread last spring, this is just like that. Just post on the date you went hunting, what calls/products you used, how you done, weather conditions, etc.

I haven't yet to find time to go out and even scout. This is sad because bow season is already in. My father has already found a place and couple of bucks to hunt. I just need to find a place to hang a stand and see what happens. Acorns are dropping heavier this year than they have in a couple of years, so just find some white oak trees and you should have luck.

I'll post when I get out in the woods (probably this weekend or next).
Should be a fun season.
This is old warrior, already on our land, we have killed one 9pt. buck and seen 9 others, our land borders the Jesse Stuart game reserve in Greenup County. 2 yrs. ago we killed 3 bucks opening day of gun season, went to get something to eat, met 3 guys down here from Harlan County, they looked at our deers, said they had'nt seen any deer for 2 days, took them out on the farm, showed them my stand placements, had 2 gut piles, within 30 yds, of my stand, they were there 45 minutes after I left that evening, they called, and met them at the same store, they killed 2 bucks, and 1 doe that fast, and were very thankful, on there way back to Harlan County, last year had a retired deputy sheriff from Letcher County, put him in a ground blind and before I got home he called and said he killed a doe, and me and my daughter helped him get his deer to his truck. My stand site is awesome, natural crossing, my uncle killed 44 bucks there, I have killed 21, my son has got 2, also several does have been taken there as well. I'm usually on the football web site, but if you like to hunt, pm me its just a 128 acre farm with clean woods, meaning you can see alot thru the woods, a couple good bedding areas, if you are having trouble seeing and deer, and want a new place to hunt I might be able to schedule a time you can come and hunt, the guy from Letcher County is coming down for 2 day muzzleloading season on the 17th and probaly gun season, out of all the bucks killed by me and my deceased uncle and my son, my uncles buck scored 152 BC, my son has a 121 pope and young, but have seen bigger bucks, but never had a chanch to harvest them, good hunting, and good luck.
Hey Oldwarrior, I'm ready for my hunt with you now. :biggrin:
outdoorsman43 Wrote:Hey Oldwarrior, I'm ready for my hunt with you now. :biggrin:
I am taking vacation the first week of the rifle season, the opening weekend is pretty well took up, but I would like to hunt with you, I am crippled up and usually hunt the bottoms, and let the others run them off the hills to me. You can get on google earth and look at the hunting area, look on Rt.1, 2 miles out you will see Crum hollow, where it bends to left is where I have the best stand in Greenup County, at the end of our property, there is a motel 3 miles from our land, you can be hunting in 10 minutes from there, post or pm me, what county do you hunt in? sounds like you are from Belfrey, good luck this hunting season, but be safe, in 1994 I fell from my tree stand, breaking my ankle and herniating a disc in my back, I only hunt from a ladder stand now, if I fall out of it is only 12 ft., not 35 ft. when I got injured. Besides high school football, deer hunting and bass fishing, only god and my wife come, even close.
With all this cold weather to date, will the transitions occur earlier this year compared to last year? The month of October last year saw 80's for highs most of the month with lows in the 50-60's. This year it's been 60/40's for the better part of the month with cold weather projected over the next 10 days. The deer are absolutely hammering my wheat field and I'm feeling the 09' rut will be early this year...
whackem'n'stackem Wrote:With all this cold weather to date, will the transitions occur earlier this year compared to last year? The month of October last year saw 80's for highs most of the month with lows in the 50-60's. This year it's been 60/40's for the better part of the month with cold weather projected over the next 10 days. The deer are absolutely hammering my wheat field and I'm feeling the 09' rut will be early this year...

The rut last season was way late in this part of country. Due to the warm temperatures like you mentioned. All of this cool October weather we have had should have the rut hitting right on time this season. First week of November should be the time to be in the woods my friends. I'll hopefully be out there with my stick and string then.
old warrior Wrote:I am taking vacation the first week of the rifle season, the opening weekend is pretty well took up, but I would like to hunt with you, I am crippled up and usually hunt the bottoms, and let the others run them off the hills to me. You can get on google earth and look at the hunting area, look on Rt.1, 2 miles out you will see Crum hollow, where it bends to left is where I have the best stand in Greenup County, at the end of our property, there is a motel 3 miles from our land, you can be hunting in 10 minutes from there, post or pm me, what county do you hunt in? sounds like you are from Belfrey, good luck this hunting season, but be safe, in 1994 I fell from my tree stand, breaking my ankle and herniating a disc in my back, I only hunt from a ladder stand now, if I fall out of it is only 12 ft., not 35 ft. when I got injured. Besides high school football, deer hunting and bass fishing, only god and my wife come, even close.

I've PM'd you if you check your inbox. My friend, I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I recommend strongly for all treestand hunters to wear a safety harness. They may be inconvenient and uncomfortable sometimes, but they are worth it folks.
You couldn't have said it better ODM43. Safety harnesses are crucial. I wouldn't hunt in a stand without one now. I have 20+ years ago and came close to falling several times. I was scared into buying a safety harness and I definitely don't regret it. They can save your life.

To get the thread back on topic, my sons and I plan on going this coming weekend to our honey hole. It's not as much of a honey hole as it has been in years past, but we are hoping that would can do some good. Conditions are supposed to be good next Saturday with a low temperature in the 30's.
smoke pole season in one week.....woohoo
Instead of sweating like last year, we may be shivvering, I think the cool weather will definitely help the rut and give a good indication when you better be in the woods, have also noticed the mast crop, not as heavy as last year, so check around the fields and cover crops for scrape activity. I look for a better harvest rate this year in our area, also the last 2 seasons, I have met 3 hunters from Harlem County and 1 hunter from Letcher County that have traveled to my county to hunt, because the hunting not as good in their areas. My favorite time to go hunting is when it snows, you can see deer better and can track them, but you also know they are going to have to move sometime in the day to get some food.
Weather is a factor but moon phases decide when the rut will happen.
please explain. this has always baffled me.....
Saturday morning weather conditions, after 3 days of rain, 34 degrees and snow flurries, high of 43 degrees, cloudy, could not ask for better conditions, hope everyone that goes out hunting this weekend, has a safe and enjoyable time, and good luck, just may see that buck of your life time.
I missed a big doe yesterday with my bow from about 50 yds....Ted Nugent would not be proud..
The forecast for tomorrow shows a 30% chance of light rain with temperatures in the mid 30's at daybreak. High temperatures may reach about 48 degrees. Very good conditions for tomorrow. This will be my first hunt of the season. Finally found the time to set out and go with my father and brother. I will be going on little sleep due to Big Blue Madness of course though. :biggrin:

Good luck to all in the woods this weekend.
[quote=outdoorsman43] Just post on the date you went hunting, what calls/products you used, how you done, weather conditions, etc.

QUOTE]

Date went hunting - 5/15/09,
Calls/Products Used - Truck Horn/Toyota Pick-up
Time/Weather Conditions - 6am/Foggy
How did I do - Killed a Buck
Total cost of hunt - $5,300

and so it goes.
4:55 AM and it is time to get the smoke stick season started, good luck to everybody, here in northeastern Ky. Perfect conditions so far, not raining and no wind, hope there are alot of posts of success, when I return today, good luck everyone, hope to hear from Outdoorsman43.
Had a much better day than I thought. Conditions were just perfect and went right according to the forecast I posted yesterday. We seen plenty of deer out in the green fields. We spotted three bucks, no shooters though. We seen plenty of good buck sign; big tracks, droppings, etc. Only bad part of the day was that we didn't return home with any meat. The reason I'm home this early is the action was slowing down to a halt and plus, I have a nice calculus quiz to study for.

Hope everyone that went had some good luck. It should be a good season the rest of the way.
Did anyone get out and go today? My party didn't get to go today. It was a little warmer today than yesterday. Still pretty good conditions though.

My father, brother, and will probably bow hunt quite a bit next weekend. As always, good luck to everyone.
I used to hunt somewhere in rowan and greenup county...good place....i think it was rowan county...it was on my way to ashland....killed 4 bucks there in my lifetime, niggest been a 11 point
Does anyone plan on filling there deer feeders? The next week or so before gun season comes in, in our area we only have, half the white oak acorns, we had last year, and the way the turkey's help themselves, it hurts deer hunting. Give me your thoughts on this subject. :please:
In my area there are plenty of acorns on the ground. There wasn't hardly any last season and we just had to manage. When acorns are scarce in the area, we always stock up on the Wildlife Innovations Deer Corn and scatter that out in our area. They eat that stuff up. I also recommend products such as Acorn Rage, small mineral licks (apple, persimmon, etc.), those gel attractants, C'mere Deer and other supplements.

During the spring months, we always dig out a hole, place a 50-pound mineral salt lick in that hole and wait for the results. These mineral licks keep the deer in the area during the summer months, throughout the fall and the rest of the deer season. This also helps in the long haul too. What happens is young fawns learn to go to that mineral lick throughout their youth and will continue to come back to that same lick when they are released from their mother's care.

We have around four or five of those in our hunting area. You will see tracks galore in and around your hole that you've dug. The deer dig the salt out of the soil after the salt settles into the soil after a few good rains. Try doing this in the spring (which is usually the best time to do this) and leave it alone until the late summer before bow season. You will be amazed at how much deeper the hole is from the deer digging it up. We fill our licks up once a year during the spring.

It's too late for that now though if you're talking about this season obviously, so try the products I listed above if you have a shortage of acorns in your area. You will be surprised at the sign you will find (tracks, droppings, etc.) in a couple of weeks.
How do u keep elk away from your area....I see 10-15 deer and 60-70 elk...any info to help me with that is greatly appreciated
Anyone going bow hunting before gun season comes in?

My crew will be going this weekend. Good luck to all that go.
plan on saturday morning
Here in Northeastern Ky. after 2 frosts this week, finally with this rain expected today and tomorrow, the leaves are starting to fall, my son plans on going this weekend, hopefully the deer movement has started to pick up, see alot of deer at night and along roadways, but not much movement during hunting hours, but I know it has to pick up sooner or in November during the rut, does anyone have that lunar calender, on the moon phase for November?
Only seen a couple of does today. The bucks still aren't moving during hunting hours. That should all change any time. I talked to some other hunters this afternoon that said the bucks are already starting to make scrapes.

Action should pick up soon.
I think alot of activity is occuring at night and bucks necks are starting to swell up, just hope we can hit the rut right.
I'm on the hunt for a nice 10 point I caught on camara that is lurking on my property. I'll either get him or spend my life in woods hopeing to see him. :lmao: