Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rowan County 49 Ashland 47
Final from Morehead.
Nice win for Rowan Co.
Round one to Rowan. Rowan beats Ashland. Ashland beats East. East beats Rowan.
Regional Tourn. should be great.
we get Rowan down here on Wednesday night... should be a good game.
Tough loss for the Lady Cats (Kittens). Is this considered an upset
No upset in this game. The best team won last night. It looks like Rowan will be going to Bowling Green for the 3rd year in a row.
American Dream Wrote:No upset in this game. The best team won last night. It looks like Rowan will be going to Bowling Green for the 3rd year in a row.

Was this the regional final? Boy, that was a fast season.
Rowan is just a better team. Every player on that TEAM plays for the team . Coach Tacket might be one of the best coaches ever in the 16th region!!
American Dream Wrote:No upset in this game. The best team won last night. It looks like Rowan will be going to Bowling Green for the 3rd year in a row.

I believe any of the three teams have a chance and if you have seen all three play you would have to agree. I dont believe I would be reserving rooms early if i was a parent on any of these teams. They are all three very good teams and are exciting to watch. Good luck to all the girls.
American Dream Wrote:Rowan is just a better team. Every player on that TEAM plays for the team . Coach Tacket might be one of the best coaches ever in the 16th region!!

I like to see a devoted and passionate fan --- Good for you :Cheerlead!!!! As for Rowan being the hands-down favorite of the region I must disagree. Rowan beats Ashland by 2 at Morehead, East beats Rowan, and Ashland beats East at East. Looks like even odds to me. I do agree that after these 3 teams there is a big drop-off with the rest of the region. Looks like the regional tourney might be pretty exciting (contrary to what some posters wearing green may believe :biggrinSmile
Great win for Rowan.
One question for you who is the defending champ. I'll answer its Rowan Co its also the team that will be playing in Bowling Green in March.
Score surprises me a little, however nice win for RC
Congrats Rowan County
I don't have any ties to any of theses teams but I do keep up with basketball all across the state and from what I've seen so far I would give the nod to Ashland right now as the team to beat in this region.They beat East on the road by double digits and lost by 2 at Rowan and while it counts for a loss to a coach or player it would fell like a 6-8 point win. Because every one knows it is hard to go in to Morhead and get a win.
American Dream Wrote:One question for you who is the defending champ. I'll answer its Rowan Co its also the team that will be playing in Bowling Green in March.

Why wait until March? Lets go ahead and cancel the rest of the season right now....:thatsfunn
why me Wrote:I don't have any ties to any of theses teams but I do keep up with basketball all across the state and from what I've seen so far I would give the nod to Ashland right now as the team to beat in this region.They beat East on the road by double digits and lost by 2 at Rowan and while it counts for a loss to a coach or player it would fell like a 6-8 point win. Because every one knows it is hard to go in to Morhead and get a win.

Since you are so "in the know" did you know Rowan was without 2 starters when they lost by 3 at East in early December? Did you know they were still without 1 last Friday night? And if RC hits FT's down the stretch its 10-12 point win. And, you need to re-check your facts...it was 53-47, and by my count its a 6 point win after leading by 18. And anybody who looks at a loss as a moral victory is grasping at straws. They could just as easily been blown out of the building, down 14 in the 4th. I don't care who wins what, but give credit where credit is due. East is probably the toughest matchup in the region for any of those teams, and deserves to be #1 right now.
I wasn't trying to get a rise out of anyone I was just saying if you lose by 2 to a very good Rowan team at thier house you have to feel good about your chances on a nuetral court as far as knowing how many starters played or didn't play doesn't really matter I based my opion on what has happened on the court so far and if you look you can see I stated RIGHT NOW I would give the nod to Ashland. I actually believe Rowan co schedule is going to have them better prepared to make a run in the region.
HD28 Wrote:Since you are so "in the know" did you know Rowan was without 2 starters when they lost by 3 at East in early December? Did you know they were still without 1 last Friday night? And if RC hits FT's down the stretch its 10-12 point win. And, you need to re-check your facts...it was 53-47, and by my count its a 6 point win after leading by 18. And anybody who looks at a loss as a moral victory is grasping at straws. They could just as easily been blown out of the building, down 14 in the 4th. I don't care who wins what, but give credit where credit is due. East is probably the toughest matchup in the region for any of those teams, and deserves to be #1 right now.

And as they say ..if "'ifs " and "buts" were candy and nuts we'd all have a wonderful Christmas. The bottom line is that all teams deal with players out for injury, poor officiating, missing foul shots, key players fouling out, players letting up after gaining a big led thus letting the opposing team back into the game....and it goes on and on. In my experiences most of this all evens itself out in the long run and these reasons are really just excuses. I really don't understand how anyone can debate the fact that at this time in the season Rowan, East, or Ashland could beat (or lose) to either of the other 2 on any given night. Its a virtual 3-way tie for number 1 in the 16th and all that means is some interesting and exciting match-ups in the near future. Good luck to all 3 of these teams the rest of the season!!!!
West Carter will have a say in who goes to Bowling Green before it's all said and done, IMO.
Not this year, maybe next.
HD28 Wrote:Since you are so "in the know" did you know Rowan was without 2 starters when they lost by 3 at East in early December? Did you know they were still without 1 last Friday night? And if RC hits FT's down the stretch its 10-12 point win. And, you need to re-check your facts...it was 53-47, and by my count its a 6 point win after leading by 18. And anybody who looks at a loss as a moral victory is grasping at straws. They could just as easily been blown out of the building, down 14 in the 4th. I don't care who wins what, but give credit where credit is due. East is probably the toughest matchup in the region for any of those teams, and deserves to be #1 right now.

i am a little confused by the excuses every one makes for a loss. The best point in the region was at no where near 100 percent against rowan. Ashland had east down 18 at one point AT East. Rowan played a great game against Ashland, and deserved the win. Ashland could have been blown out you are correct but in the same breathe if ashland goes a lil better than 2 of 7 from the line in the second half they win(rowan went to the line nearly 30 times ahland 7) to me excuses are like but holes,every one has one! Rowan has to be the favorite till some one beats them in the regionals. To have east ahead of ashland to me is a stretch due to the head to head, but east has beaten to teams that ashland has lost to. so to be unbiased,any of these teams have a shot.
Maroon Truth Wrote:i am a little confused by the excuses every one makes for a loss. The best point in the region was at no where near 100 percent against rowan. Ashland had east down 18 at one point AT East. Rowan played a great game against Ashland, and deserved the win. Ashland could have been blown out you are correct but in the same breathe if ashland goes a lil better than 2 of 7 from the line in the second half they win(rowan went to the line nearly 30 times ahland 7) to me excuses are like but holes,every one has one! Rowan has to be the favorite till some one beats them in the regionals. To have east ahead of ashland to me is a stretch due to the head to head, but east has beaten to teams that ashland has lost to. so to be unbiased,any of these teams have a shot.

two and butt holes. i cant spell
No matter what ...it is still a toss up between the top three teams.
West can, and most likely will, knock one of the 3 off in March...just a hunch. They're too talented. Dietrich is a fantastic PG, but to put her ahead of Kelsey Ferguson is a bit of a stretch. Ashland's lack of athleticism got exposed and thats why I say East is the toughest matchup for anybody in the region, especially the way they throw up the 3's.
Didn't know that Ferguson played for West?
HD28 Wrote:West can, and most likely will, knock one of the 3 off in March...just a hunch. They're too talented. Dietrich is a fantastic PG, but to put her ahead of Kelsey Ferguson is a bit of a stretch. Ashland's lack of athleticism got exposed and thats why I say East is the toughest matchup for anybody in the region, especially the way they throw up the 3's.

I beg to differ, Ferguson is a very good scoring guard, but if you are talking about the point guard position Dietrich fits the role better that Ferguson. Also Ferguson has to score for Elliott to stay competitive, Dietrich can score but looks to distribute the ball more because Ashland has more offensive weapons. To me, comparing these 2 players is almost like comparing players at 2 totally different postions - they both do what their coaches need from them - one to score, one to distribute.

At the risk of sounding like an Ashland homer, I also don't agree with East being super athletic. East has some very, very good and court-smart ball players but, other than Marshall, I don't consider East to be overly athletic. I don't want to compare Ashland's and East's players per position on an open forum (just not appropriate), but I think head to head Ashland is at least as, if not more, athletic than East. Regarding pure athleticism, Rowan probably has both East and Ashland beat.
Skip Pass Wrote:I beg to differ, Ferguson is a very good scoring guard, but if you are talking about the point guard position Dietrich fits the role better that Ferguson. Also Ferguson has to score for Elliott to stay competitive, Dietrich can score but looks to distribute the ball more because Ashland has more offensive weapons. To me, comparing these 2 players is almost like comparing players at 2 totally different postions - they both do what their coaches need from them - one to score, one to distribute.

At the risk of sounding like an Ashland homer, I also don't agree with East being super athletic. East has some very, very good and court-smart ball players but, other than Marshall, I don't consider East to be overly athletic. I don't want to compare Ashland's and East's players per position on an open forum (just not appropriate), but I think head to head Ashland is at least as, if not more, athletic than East. Regarding pure athleticism, Rowan probably has both East and Ashland beat.

Ferguson distributed the ball quite nicely the last 3 years to Griffith and S. Ferguson, I would say. Take a look at their career totals in scoring, and somebody was getting them the ball and I believe Kelsey was the point guard. Just because her role has been modified to include scoring does not diminish what she has done in the past, and still tries to do on a nightly basis, which is include her teammates. I'm not knocking any PG, especially not Dietrich, because she is a super player. But if I'm starting a team in the 16th and go looking for PG's, I start with Kelsey. Couldn't go wrong with either though.
HD28 Wrote:Ferguson distributed the ball quite nicely the last 3 years to Griffith and S. Ferguson, I would say. Take a look at their career totals in scoring, and somebody was getting them the ball and I believe Kelsey was the point guard. Just because her role has been modified to include scoring does not diminish what she has done in the past, and still tries to do on a nightly basis, which is include her teammates. I'm not knocking any PG, especially not Dietrich, because she is a super player. But if I'm starting a team in the 16th and go looking for PG's, I start with Kelsey. Couldn't go wrong with either though.

You make some good arguments for Ferguson, but I still don't know if I would take her over Dietrich at the PG position (but its pretty darn close). I think we agree more than disagree, however, in that both are super players regardless of their roles for their teams. Any team would be lucky to have the leadership and athleticism of a Dietrich or a Ferguson. Good luck to Ferguson and Elliott the rest of the season.
Skip Pass Wrote:You make some good arguments for Ferguson, but I still don't know if I would take her over Dietrich at the PG position (but its pretty darn close). I think we agree more than disagree, however, in that both are super players regardless of their roles for their teams. Any team would be lucky to have the leadership and athleticism of a Dietrich or a Ferguson. Good luck to Ferguson and Elliott the rest of the season.

Very well said! Anybody would be lucky to have either of these outstanding young ladies and competitors on their team.

Also, I think I may have missed on my West Carter comment, at least for now!