Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 53 Betsy Layne 52 (15th Region Tourn.)
Final.

Brittany Swindall hits a basket and then free throw to win the game with no time left on the clock. SV led by 17 early and Betsy Layne came back to take a 3 point lead late.

Scoring:

For SV:

Swindall 17 points
M. Tackett 9 points
Sawyers 8 points
L. Tackett 8 points
Coleman 7 points
Mullins 4 points

For Betsy Layne:

Hott 23 points
Hamilton 18 points
Martin 5 points
Watkins 3 points
Wagner 2 points
Reynolds 1 point
you HAVE to love March!
LCDAWGS19 Wrote:you HAVE to love March!

:Thumbs:

Sounds like a great game!
Heard there was a controversial call at the end of this game, anyone know about it?

Congrats SV!
BlackcatAlum Wrote:Heard there was a controversial call at the end of this game, anyone know about it?

Congrats SV!

Hate to see a call determine some girls future.
I will just say, they shouldnt let a free throw determine a game. It could of been called over the back or shot and foul. I think the game should have been decided in ot. Nonetheless, megan hamilton, its been great watching you play for the past four years, you will be missed.
Great game Sv big girls really came up big. Swindell play great and M. Tackett help out off the bench . overall great team effort
Congratulations to Coach Rowe and the Ladycats on a huge win.
nice win SV
There was no controversial call. Shelby Valley had 16 seconds to get the ball up the floor trailing 52-50. They had a little trouble getting it into frontcourt then it went into the hands of Brooke Coleman. She drove for a contested layup/runner on the left side and missed and Swindall picked off the rebound and layed it back it at the buzzer and was fouled. No players were on the court except Swindall and she hit the free throw for the victory and craziness broke out. Game over. Great comeback by BL and one of the most exciting finishes I have seen in a while. Congrats to Rodney and his staff for a nice gameplan and to Coach Akers and her team for rallying from a big deficit.
Great Win by the ladycats!
Swindell defiantly was fouled at the end, and she stepped up to the freethrow line and won the game!
The old saying goes as, the game should be called the last 10 seconds as the first 10. Could it be that Betsy Layne got caught looking ahead after seeing the SC outcome?
Wow! Great finish to a game that was a battle in every quarter except the 1st. I knew when Swindall got the hoop and the harm that Valley had won the game. No question she would make the final free throw since she has always been so steady - like a rock - she coolly and calmly hit that free throw and the season continues for Coach Rowe and the Ladycats! Congrats! You have made us all proud. Best girls game I have ever seen at the Expo...
Congrats Valley
I knew this was going to be a good touney! Congrats Lady Cats!
I thought the Bobcats would win the region.
Congrats Lady Wildcats
Swinndell played great but Hamilton did not foul and Martin Hamilton and Reynolds end to great carears for the BLHS Ladycats
BB25 Wrote:Swinndell played great but Hamilton did not foul and Martin Hamilton and Reynolds end to great carears for the BLHS Ladycats

please don't do that -- it does not look good for your team -- BL was on the free throw line at the end of the first half with no time left as well...what's good for the goose...:eyeroll:
Congrats Valley
that was a horrible call! the official that was responsible for watching the clock waved the shot off!! the ball wasn't off in time and there was no way that was a foul!! horrible call that costed Betsy Layne their season and 3 seniors their senior year. i don't like to complain about refs, but that guy from the 13th region costed Betsy Layne their season.
congrats valley.

This has to be considered a major upset. Most papers had Betsy Layne as the top rated girls team in the 15th
and how many bad call where made against sv during the game that costs points or calls that wasn't made same go for BL its not all perfect what if the shoes was on the other foot we would be saying the same thing good call bad call both teams have to live with what the ref says
I was not there, so i have no idea if it was a foul or not. But from calling basketball if the girl was fouled BEFORE the horn sounds, then the shot would count even if the shot left her hands after the time ran out. When the foul occured is where the clock stops. Since it take a human a little time to react the clock would not stop at the tenth of the second the foul was called. The shot would count since she is an airbourne shooter. It makes no difference if the ref waves the shot off, if she is fouled before the buzzer, and the foul calling official determined the foul was before the horn, the shot counts and she gets one shot. The player is considered an airborn shooter untill she hits the floor. Also a foul can occur after the horn if the shooter is still in the air if she released the ball before the buzzer.

That is a rule that is not known by many, and you rarely see. Seems this is the one time that it happens in a game of this magnitude.
Here's a pic of the foul. :Shaking:

http://highenergyphotos.ihigh.com/galler...?photo=456
Speedshot Wrote:Here's a pic of the foul. :Shaking:

http://highenergyphotos.ihigh.com/galler...?photo=456

actually thats right AFTER the foul:dontthink
please show some sportsmanship - and to the poster who said the clock had run out ----> you need to watch it again on intermountain cable...the shot and the foul were both before the buzzer
Congrats SV
The best Girls game I've ever seen.
Congrats to Coach Rowe!!
WHOOOOO!!!!! WAY TO GO VALLEY!!
:Clap: :Cheerlead :Clap: