Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breathitt County 49 Prestonsburg 21
Shocker here. P-burg was dominated in every form and fashion.
Looks like a lot of people underestimated Breathitt, including myself, like BrahmaBull said in another thread.

Breathitt manhandled Prestonsburg from start to finish, Pretonsburg had their oppurtunities to come back, but never converted.

This Prestonsburg team has a lot of toughening up to do.

Congrats Bobcats!
Congrats Bobcats and better luck next time pburg.
Mark 11:23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this MOUNTAIN, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says. NKJ
I think this BC team is better than last year. They have a more balanced offense. I was impressed last week by their qb and receiver. Even more impressive is the way they limit mistakes. Seems to be a very well coached team for a young team.
Woah, I was listening to this on the radio just now and I almost shat myself when I heard the score. I need to go and check out some of these other teams..
Matman Wrote:I think this BC team is better than last year. They have a more balanced offense. I was impressed last week by their qb and receiver. Even more impressive is the way they limit mistakes. Seems to be a very well coached team for a young team.
I would have argued that they are not as good as last season before this game because they had not put together 4 quarters. But tonight they showed what they can do and I must say, they are better than last season when they play for 4 quarters.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

Congrats BC. I cant wait untill Former Bobcat Haddix and his Commodores play this BC team next week!
Wow, I had the Bobcats winning. But, not by this much.

Congrats Bobcats!
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Oh my, I did not expect this. Big win by BC. Congrats
The shocker of the week if you ask me.
[COLOR="Blue"]another great win for the cats huh? wow i told you all!
bobcats its time to get ready for the commadors, oh wait ha we are ready Big Grin
great job tonight guys im really proud of you all
they did way better tonight then the past games[/COLOR]
I really don't find the win a shocker but the score I really didn't see that coming. I guess we finaly open some peoples eyes, and guess what their only going to get better because this team is extremly young like 5 or 6 seniors. Way to go Bobcats, just keep it up.
Observations from an ugly night in Jackson...

1) Breathitt is for real. This was the Breathitt of old, a much better team than when they just relied on Fugate and Haddix. Backs ran hard, line controlled the line of scrimmage, and the QB is fantastic. Knew when to run, when to throw, and was hard to bring down.

2) Breathitt came out much more fired up and pumped for this game. Pburg was flat, flat, flat. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, this Blackcat team has a razor thin margin of error. They cannot afford to come out flat against anyone, especially a team the caliber of Breathitt County.

3) For whatever reason, Prestonsburg just cannot tackle Breathitt County ball carriers. The number of missed tackles against BC in the past few years is absolutely staggering. BC's backs run hard and fast, but Prestonsburg seems to struggle tackling them more so than any other team on the schedule.

4) BC's line was dominant. Big, strong, and fast. Played very well, opened holes, and overall very impressive.

5) As a result of the flat opening to the game, it was 20-0 before you could blink an eye. Prestonsburg mounted a comeback, and got to within a TD, but they could never stop BC from scoring to make the game really close. Even with Prestonsburg pulling to within 7, you never really felt they were in the game.

6) Very, very physical game, and lots of extra curricular roughness went on. Officiating was marginal, at best, and several calls were just horrendous. However, the officials seemed to suck both ways, so that was not a factor.

7) What does all this mean? Well, the Bobcats are very, very, very good. I don't see anyone in this region competing with them. I watched the Sheldon Clark-Breathitt film, and Breathitt improved 10 fold over last week's game. They are big, talented, physical, and have loads of skill players. Plus, Holcomb seemed to be back to his old excellent-coaching self tonight. I swore 2 years ago at Pburg that he had a stroke during the game. BC had that game won at Pburg if they just keep handing the ball off to Fugate, who had run for about a gazillion yards and hadn't been stopped all night, but Holcomb kept trying to throw screen passes out into the flats, which stopped the clock, and allowed Pburg to come back for the win. Same deal last year. BC should have beaten Pburg in last year's Honey Bowl, but Pburg came back late for the win. This year's BC team is much more complete, has many more weapons, and if Holcomb keeps coaching like he did tonight, will make it impossible for teams to key in on a single player.

What does this mean for Prestonsburg? Well, that remains to be seen. This was the first time Prestonsburg had gotten smacked in the mouth, and they didn't respond very well. Yes, our line is bigger, stronger, and faster than last year, but we are still very young at the skill positions, and tonight was the first glimpse of how those kids would respond in a tough game. Plus, BC was bigger, faster, and stronger than we were. Needless to say, Pburg needs to get better. The Belfry game may have inflated their egos a little, and Paintsville was what it was. If Prestonsburg's players can learn from this and get past the fact that they gave up 49 points, then this can be a productive thing. If they linger on this, it could become a tougher year than many hoped for. Our young kids will grow better, and if Prestonsburg learns nothing more than to never, ever, come out flat, then the loss is a good thing.

Good luck to Breathitt County the rest of the year. They are a fun team to watch, and I think they are in the hunt for the State Title this year...

Blackcats, use this loss and the sting of it to get better.
Grats Bobcats.
cat86 Wrote:Observations from an ugly night in Jackson...

1) Breathitt is for real. This was the Breathitt of old, a much better team than when they just relied on Fugate and Haddix. Backs ran hard, line controlled the line of scrimmage, and the QB is fantastic. Knew when to run, when to throw, and was hard to bring down.

2) Breathitt came out much more fired up and pumped for this game. Pburg was flat, flat, flat. As I mentioned in an earlier thread, this Blackcat team has a razor thin margin of error. They cannot afford to come out flat against anyone, especially a team the caliber of Breathitt County.

3) For whatever reason, Prestonsburg just cannot tackle Breathitt County ball carriers. The number of missed tackles against BC in the past few years is absolutely staggering. BC's backs run hard and fast, but Prestonsburg seems to struggle tackling them more so than any other team on the schedule.

4) BC's line was dominant. Big, strong, and fast. Played very well, opened holes, and overall very impressive.

5) As a result of the flat opening to the game, it was 20-0 before you could blink an eye. Prestonsburg mounted a comeback, and got to within a TD, but they could never stop BC from scoring to make the game really close. Even with Prestonsburg pulling to within 7, you never really felt they were in the game.

6) Very, very physical game, and lots of extra curricular roughness went on. Officiating was marginal, at best, and several calls were just horrendous. However, the officials seemed to suck both ways, so that was not a factor.

7) What does all this mean? Well, the Bobcats are very, very, very good. I don't see anyone in this region competing with them. I watched the Sheldon Clark-Breathitt film, and Breathitt improved 10 fold over last week's game. They are big, talented, physical, and have loads of skill players. Plus, Holcomb seemed to be back to his old excellent-coaching self tonight. I swore 2 years ago at Pburg that he had a stroke during the game. BC had that game won at Pburg if they just keep handing the ball off to Fugate, who had run for about a gazillion yards and hadn't been stopped all night, but Holcomb kept trying to throw screen passes out into the flats, which stopped the clock, and allowed Pburg to come back for the win. Same deal last year. BC should have beaten Pburg in last year's Honey Bowl, but Pburg came back late for the win. This year's BC team is much more complete, has many more weapons, and if Holcomb keeps coaching like he did tonight, will make it impossible for teams to key in on a single player.

What does this mean for Prestonsburg? Well, that remains to be seen. This was the first time Prestonsburg had gotten smacked in the mouth, and they didn't respond very well. Yes, our line is bigger, stronger, and faster than last year, but we are still very young at the skill positions, and tonight was the first glimpse of how those kids would respond in a tough game. Plus, BC was bigger, faster, and stronger than we were. Needless to say, Pburg needs to get better. The Belfry game may have inflated their egos a little, and Paintsville was what it was. If Prestonsburg's players can learn from this and get past the fact that they gave up 49 points, then this can be a productive thing. If they linger on this, it could become a tougher year than many hoped for. Our young kids will grow better, and if Prestonsburg learns nothing more than to never, ever, come out flat, then the loss is a good thing.

Good luck to Breathitt County the rest of the year. They are a fun team to watch, and I think they are in the hunt for the State Title this year...

Excellent post!

I especially agree with what I have bolded. Some of these kids on the team think they're world beaters, hopefully this game brought them back down to the real world. I listened to as much of the game as I could stand, and it just sounded like Pburg was playing soft. I've been watching P'burg football for over 10 years now and I've never seen us have a soft team.

To be fair to the team though, we have a lot of first year starters on the roster. Only 5 seniors on the team, hopefully these boys learn from this game and take care of business because with the emergence of Middlesboro in the region, things aren't going to be easy early in the playoffs with Corbin or M'boro.
i told u so . look out 3a they are back.GO BOBCATS
congrats to BC

Great post !!!

Grabbing a RB and trying to set you feet does NOT work against good backs. You must drive through a tackle. Also...work needs to be done on shedding blockers. VERY surprised to see bad defensive fundamentals three games into the season. Prestonsburg's defense was disappointing, to say the least.

The offense ? Actually not too bad when one considers it played from behind by 3 scores most of the night. Crisp had the ball sail and rushed a few throws (passes were consistantly high), but was also sharp in spots.

Kudos to Breathitt Co... Very impressive perfomance !!
I suspect alot of defensive fundamentals will be worked on in the very near future... ;-)

Good point about the offense. Having to play catch up meant the running game never really got established. Crisp was shaky early, but found himself as the game went on, and had periods where he looked sharp.

Prestonsburg looked terrible on defense, granted, but I'm reminded of the old coaching cliche of "I suspect the opposing team had alot to do with it...".

Breathitt is that good, folks...
I was not expecting this one at all, I was expecting a close game and was expecting p'burg to pull it out. I think the 2nd half of the Sc game breathitt come alive and Its going to be interesting to see how they do this season already being at 3-0

No one in the region can even compete with them? Breathitt looks to be very good this season but Somerset can play a little bit too. I wouldn't look for Breathitt to blow the Briar Jumpers off the field. Could be a nice matchup if it comes to that.
It'll be a great game, that's for sure.
It's hard to tackle a bulldozer, especially one that can spin like a top.

Prestonsburg is very good and well coached team, with a lot of heart and alot of skill. But the fact is, they are a relatively small. 1 Bobcat could tackle 1 Blackcat everytime. On the other hand, 4 Blackcats could tackle 1 Bobcat, occasionally.

Size and strength are tough to overcome if the one who has it knows how to use it. Tonight Breathitt County used their size and strength to full advantage. They kept it simple and relied on their undeniable physical advantages.

With the exception of the shovel pass burning them a few times, the Pburg defensive scheme was fine. Pburg defenders were right where they needed to be, but couldn't finish with a tackle. They obviously need to fix this problem.

After the 1st quarter, which was an ambush, Pburg managed to move the ball in the open field because of their quickness. But when they got to the goal line, they did not have the space to utilize their speed, and their lack of size and strength was more apparent.

I disagree with others that Breathitt O&D lines dominated the Pburg lines. Breathitt dominated the game, but it was the offensive backs, not the line, that ruled. We were in their face the whole game, we just couldn't tackle them when we got to them.

It would not have changed the outcome, but the officials were terrible. I saw several blatant holding violations by Breathitt RIGHT IN FRONT of the line judge on the Pburg side, and he never through a flag. One was a tackle of the Pburg defender that nearly fell into the official. . . no call. This happened nearly everytime they ran around the end. Pburg defenders stood up many times and had to pull their jerseys back over their pads, and yet the officials never seemed to notice. I'm not knocking Breathitt, they played great, they are a physical team and you would expect a holding violation now and then, but the officials should have done their part.

No question though, as a team Breathitt dominated. Hats off to Slone of Pburg who made a great catch on the fake punt. He looked like he was 4 feet off the ground.

Keep the heads up, learn, get better, and let's start the district with a win next week. Go Blackcats.
Breathitt County has to be the biggest sleeper so far this season, they have come from no where. Congrats to the Bobcats, they look to be real this season after this impressive victory.
Congratulations to the breathitt county bobcats and too a good friend coach mike holcomb! Breathitt couny indeed did look like the breathitt county of "old". But i will have to wait and see what they do to some of there other teams before i jump on that bang wagon but i agree they are really good and look Great tonight!

I was really shocked though that Prestonsburg didn't play that hard tonight. It was like they were exspecting a win and didn't come to play and got hit right in the mouth and never had answer.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:I would have argued that they are not as good as last season before this game because they had not put together 4 quarters. But tonight they showed what they can do and I must say, they are better than last season when they play for 4 quarters.

Compare this season's first three games to last season's first three games. I think they are ahead of the curve.
Congrats B. C.
OH Napier predicted this!!
Whoa is breathitt back or did pburg have early season issues. Big win for the bobcats
I was wrong. Congrats breathitt.