Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GOP blocks School Nutrition Bill.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101201/ap_o..._nutrition
This is one area where I agree with an Obama on. The GOP says its too expensive. However no one seems to want to admit that the obesity rate in our country is costing us billions.
The federal government should not be involved at all in the management of local school systems. That is not a job that the US Constitution gave to Congress. Parents should demand that schools serve nutritious food in their children's cafeteria but they always have the option of packing a healthy lunch for them.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The federal government should not be involved at all in the management of local school systems. That is not a job that the US Constitution gave to Congress. Parents should demand that schools serve nutritious food in their children's cafeteria but they always have the option of packing a healthy lunch for them.

They do not always have the option. We forget that there are families out there that are poor. There are kids out there who only eat at school. Its hard to imagine but its the truth. There are also parents who don't care or do not know enough to care. I see people feeding kids burgers, fries and a coke every day. Then they complain because they pay to much for health care while smoking their cigerettes in the same car with their kids. I believe in this case the federal government is needed. I do not like them being in our school systems however on the issue of obesity they have to do something. Obesity goes beyond state borders and effects everyone across the nation.
Matman Wrote:They do not always have the option. We forget that there are families out there that are poor. There are kids out there who only eat at school. Its hard to imagine but its the truth. There are also parents who don't care or do not know enough to care. I see people feeding kids burgers, fries and a coke every day. Then they complain because they pay to much for health care while smoking their cigerettes in the same car with their kids. I believe in this case the federal government is needed. I do not like them being in our school systems however on the issue of obesity they have to do something. Obesity goes beyond state borders and effects everyone across the nation.
The fact that every state in the US has obese children living within their borders does not make childhood obesity a federal issue. People in every state have headaches too, but should the federal government be handing out free aspirins?

People who believe that the federal government should get involved in local issues like what school cafeterias put on their menus and what local schools can put in vending machines apparently think that people here in the DC area are smarter, more competent, and more trustworthy than people in their own communities. Otherwise, why would they argue that people working hundreds of miles away from their school are more capable of deciding what their children should be eating than they are?

If the federal government would remove its clutches from states and local governments, there would be more money to spend in public schools and people in my neighborhood might be feeling the recession a little bit more. Every piece of legislation like this one creates more good paying jobs in and around the nation's capital. Come to the Washington suburbs and see for yourself what a recession looks like here (or should I say, a jobless recovery?).
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The fact that every state in the US has obese children living within their borders does not make childhood obesity a federal issue. People in every state have headaches too, but should the federal government be handing out free aspirins?

People who believe that the federal government should get involved in local issues like what school cafeterias put on their menus and what local schools can put in vending machines apparently think that people here in the DC area are smarter, more competent, and more trustworthy than people in their own communities. Otherwise, why would they argue that people working hundreds of miles away from their school are more capable of deciding what their children should be eating than they are?

If the federal government would remove its clutches from states and local governments, there would be more money to spend in public schools and people in my neighborhood might be feeling the recession a little bit more. Every piece of legislation like this one creates more good paying jobs in and around the nation's capital. Come to the Washington suburbs and see for yourself what a recession looks like here (or should I say, a jobless recovery?).
:Thumbs:
Personal responsibility just doesn't register with some people Hoot.
I'm actually for taxing the crap out of sugary drinks. Obviously there is a lack of personal responsibility and/or common sense when 2/3 of Americans are fat. Tax the sugary drinks as long as the money is spent only on obesity treatment/programs/education.

It should also be against the law to have pop and candy machines in schools.

And yes I am a conservative Republican.
SKINNYPIG Wrote::Thumbs:
Personal responsibility just doesn't register with some people Hoot.
I agree SP, but Matman is always willing to engage in a reasonable debate, although we do not often disagree. I think that many people just do not stop to think that every federal dollar that goes to the federal government that is not borrowed originates at the local level. By the time Washington takes a cut and Frankfort takes a cut, what gets returned to the local level is far less than the taxes that were paid. That is why most of the wealthiest suburban counties in the country are locate here around DC. This is where most of the federal loot gets spent.

Even worse than the cost of allowing the feds to micromanage our local public schools is the freedom that we lose. If you don't like the way that Washington is managing your school system, then good luck getting anything changed. Running for the House, Senate, or President is not a viable option for most people.

If you don't like something that your local school is doing that is within its power to change, then you have a shot at making a difference if you are willing to work for the change. You can even run for a school board seat without spending a fortune.

The federal government is much better at pointing out problems than it is at fixing them. The next logical step by the federal government would be to ban parents from sending lunches to school with their kids. Who knows what the federal penalty will be for trading two Twinkies for a handful of Oreos on school premises might be.
jetpilot Wrote:I'm actually for taxing the crap out of sugary drinks. Obviously there is a lack of personal responsibility and/or common sense when 2/3 of Americans are fat. Tax the sugary drinks as long as the money is spent only on obesity treatment/programs/education.

It should also be against the law to have pop and candy machines in schools.

And yes I am a conservative Republican.
You may be a conservative Republican on other issues but this is not a conservative position. I would not oppose a local law against having pop and candy machines in schools but I think any conservative should oppose any state or federal law that would do so.

Local communities should make local decisions. When you voluntarily cede that authority to somebody or group of people who are located in a state capital or in Washington, the message that you send is that my neighbors and I are not smart, responsible, or trustworthy enough to make our own decisions on such matters so you, my state and federal governments must make them for us.

If you are willing to let the federal government dictate what kind of vending machines your local schools can install and what the school cooks must put on your child's tray, what power are you unwilling to give up to a big, centralized federal government?
I am with Hoot on this one. Can you run for President?
Lake Trash Wrote:I am with Hoot on this one. Can you run for President?
I am eligible to run but totally unelectable but I appreciate your support. :biggrin:
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I am eligible to run but totally unelectable but I appreciate your support. :biggrin:

I beg to differ, Obama proved that no one is unelectable. I'll back you too Hoot, and not to brag but I control up to 3 more votes as well.
I ussually agree that the Federal Government should stay out of local communities this is one issue I think we have to have them step in. 10-15 years ago if you would have asked me the same question I would have said keep it local. However we have failed locally on this issue. We have been given the chance and the oppertunity and failed. Because of this failure and they rising obesity rate (especially with children) and rising health care cost I believe this is where government can help. I work with a guy who is 140lbs over weight. He is borderline diabetic and has high blood pressure. If you were to watch him eat you would know why. However he has no clue. The school system failed him growing up and now he has no idea where to start. At this point it is his responsibility. However if we can educate and teach our children now maybe we can prevent this type of ignorance. I would be all for state or school initiated plans. However they are not doing it. As for money. I believe it would be a great investment. By the way. My coworker and myself pay the same for health care. He uses sick days and goes to the doctor at least 2 times a month for somthing related to obesity. I go for my annual check ups and haven't used a sick day in 2 years.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:The fact that every state in the US has obese children living within their borders does not make childhood obesity a federal issue. People in every state have headaches too, but should the federal government be handing out free aspirins?

I do not think the people in DC are any smarter. However we do not have nutritionist of dieticians at the local schools. Lunch ladies, principals and teachers are not nutritionist. But I am all for somthing local if they would do it. I do not believe you can compare obesity to headaches. I do think it is close to cigerettes and cancer though. We could take a look at that route.
This is definitely not a federal issue.
I'm actually surprised they didn't let this one go through.
zaga_fan Wrote:This is definitely not a federal issue.
I'm actually surprised they didn't let this one go through.

It definately is when we have socialized health care.
Here is a couple good articles related to obesity and how it effects more than just the obese individual. Obesity effects more than just the individual and because of that it is more than just a personal choice.
http://www.cdc.gov/obesity/causes/economics.html
http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/efa...04004g.pdf
Hoot Gibson Wrote:You may be a conservative Republican on other issues but this is not a conservative position. I would not oppose a local law against having pop and candy machines in schools but I think any conservative should oppose any state or federal law that would do so.

Local communities should make local decisions. When you voluntarily cede that authority to somebody or group of people who are located in a state capital or in Washington, the message that you send is that my neighbors and I are not smart, responsible, or trustworthy enough to make our own decisions on such matters so you, my state and federal governments must make them for us.

If you are willing to let the federal government dictate what kind of vending machines your local schools can install and what the school cooks must put on your child's tray, what power are you unwilling to give up to a big, centralized federal government?
Most local communities don't make healthy decisions when it comes to this though. Most EK communities must not be very smart then, because most have just the things you say they are smart enough to regulate. It looks like they need the state and federal help, by that analysis. Most have soda machines and junk candy machines, and junk food.
jetpilot Wrote:I beg to differ, Obama proved that no one is unelectable. I'll back you too Hoot, and not to brag but I control up to 3 more votes as well.

Be careful what you say JP, Obama's has the internet police out in full force, they may charge you with voter fraud. :biggrin:
jetpilot Wrote:I beg to differ, Obama proved that no one is unelectable. I'll back you too Hoot, and not to brag but I control up to 3 more votes as well.
Controlling just 3 votes in a EK family isn't really anything to brag about. Come to Johnson, Magoffin, and Floyd and take lessons. I can swing 10-12 votes at any given time(local, state, or federal), maybe a few more. If I still lived in my home county, I could swing much more in local elections.
High obesity rates are cause by not only eating unhealthy foods but also the lack or exercise. Adults and children are spending too much time inside watching TV, playing video games or on the internet.
Old School Wrote:High obesity rates are cause by not only eating unhealthy foods but also the lack or exercise. Adults and children are spending too much time inside watching TV, playing video games or on the internet.

I agree 100%. However healthy lifesyle is just that a lifestyle. I choose to pack my childs lunch. However when I walk into his class there are students who don't have that luxury. They do not have the support at home or the resources. I think they should have the ability to live a healthy lifestyle. The least we can do is provide them the education to live a healthy life once they do have the option. They should also promote a healthy lifestyle at schools. This starts with healthier foods.
TheRealVille Wrote:Controlling just 3 votes in a EK family isn't really anything to brag about. Come to Johnson, Magoffin, and Floyd and take lessons. I can swing 10-12 votes at any given time(local, state, or federal), maybe a few more. If I still lived in my home county, I could swing much more in local elections.

Do you mean to tell me that there are actually up to 10-12 more whackos that exist like you out there in this world? :yikes: :yikes:

Aint no way!!!!:biggrin:
Matman Wrote:They do not always have the option. We forget that there are families out there that are poor. There are kids out there who only eat at school. Its hard to imagine but its the truth. There are also parents who don't care or do not know enough to care. I see people feeding kids burgers, fries and a coke every day. Then they complain because they pay to much for health care while smoking their cigerettes in the same car with their kids. I believe in this case the federal government is needed. I do not like them being in our school systems however on the issue of obesity they have to do something. Obesity goes beyond state borders and effects everyone across the nation.

I agree.
Bob Seger Wrote:Do you mean to tell me that there are actually up to 10-12 more whackos that exist like you out there in this world? :yikes: :yikes:

Aint no way!!!!:biggrin:
Whacko because I don't kneel to the conservative crowd? Sure, there are many of us out there. That's how democrats get elected about every other Presidency. If we let the Republicans have the office too much, there won't be a middle class for very long. You'd be surprised how many "middle left" people there are out there once you get away from Kentucky.
Old School Wrote:High obesity rates are cause by not only eating unhealthy foods but also the lack or exercise. Adults and children are spending too much time inside watching TV, playing video games or on the internet.
Wow, :yikes: , could this be a trend starting. I agree 110%. If we hit once every few years, I'll take it.
Matman Wrote:It definately is when we have socialized health care.
Matman, make a list of the things that the federal government does very well and then make a list of things that the federal government does extremely poorly. Then, compare the two lists and ask yourself if you really want to turn the keys to your local school over to them.

This is the same federal government whose nutritionists urged people to consume a very unhealthy diet heavily loaded with carbohydrates and fats contained in products produced by American farmers and agribusinesses whose votes and campaign donations are so coveted by politicians. Thanks to multiple independent studies, the old food pyramid was finally scrapped. It turned out that there are many cultures around the world that consume large quantities of saturated fats and few grain products that also have relatively low instances of heart disease and/or diabetes. Furthermore, trans-fats in our diet (produced by our own agribusiness giants) now appear to be much worse for our health than many foods high in naturally occurring saturated fats.

The federal government's "approved food list" has been influenced by political considerations in the past and the same will be true in the future. Choosing our own food and providing food for our children is one of our most basic natural rights. Don't support attempts to restrict that right.
TheRealVille Wrote:Controlling just 3 votes in a EK family isn't really anything to brag about. Come to Johnson, Magoffin, and Floyd and take lessons. I can swing 10-12 votes at any given time(local, state, or federal), maybe a few more. If I still lived in my home county, I could swing much more in local elections.

WOW...I thought everyone would get it that I was making a joke.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Matman, make a list of the things that the federal government does very well and then make a list of things that the federal government does extremely poorly. Then, compare the two lists and ask yourself if you really want to turn the keys to your local school over to them.

This is the same federal government whose nutritionists urged people to consume a very unhealthy diet heavily loaded with carbohydrates and fats contained in products produced by American farmers and agribusinesses whose votes and campaign donations are so coveted by politicians. Thanks to multiple independent studies, the old food pyramid was finally scrapped. It turned out that there are many cultures around the world that consume large quantities of saturated fats and few grain products that also have relatively low instances of heart disease and/or diabetes. Furthermore, trans-fats in our diet (produced by our own agribusiness giants) now appear to be much worse for our health than many foods high in naturally occurring saturated fats.

The federal government's "approved food list" has been influenced by political considerations in the past and the same will be true in the future. Choosing our own food and providing food for our children is one of our most basic natural rights. Don't support attempts to restrict that right.

You have the right to feed your children at home. That is a part of the problem. Parents are not educated to know how to feed their children. They are also too lazy to prepare healthy choices and go the easy route of fast food. How is a school supposed to promote health and proper eating habbits while serving garbage? The proposed nutrition programs makes subtle changes. It keeps pizza and cheeseburgers. However it requires them to be made with whole grains and leaner higher quality meats. How is that bad. I know about the problems with the food guide pyramid and the problem with RDA. However if people would have simply followed the food guide pyramid they wouldn't be obese. However people see 6-12 whole grains and thought hey I can eat 12 whole grains. They didn't realize they were at the lower end of every level. The problem is what they accept at schools as grains and meats. They take the most refinded prducts out there and fatty breaded meat by products. Yes our federal government can really mess things up. However we have all ready let the local government try and fail to tackle obesity. Now its someone elses turn.
I will admit I am uncomfortable with letting federal government into our schools. I do not want them touching our academics. They have all ready messed up no child left behind. Obama also wants to increase our school year because SOME of the schools ahead of us spend more time in class. Not all but some. However he has not given any ideas of how to pay for it. So if anyone has another idea how to combat the problem then I am open to hear it. Leaving it up to parents is not an option. All parents are not equal. It also has to be a part of our school system. Children spend a large part of their life there and this is where they develop alot of their habbts. It is a problem that is shared by all of us across the country even if we are healthy.
TheRealVille Wrote:Whacko because I don't kneel to the conservative crowd? Sure, there are many of us out there. That's how democrats get elected about every other Presidency. If we let the Republicans have the office too much, there won't be a middle class for very long. You'd be surprised how many "middle left" people there are out there once you get away from Kentucky.

Noooooooooooo, that's not even close to what I was meaning. lol

I thought you had vowed to stay (for about 10 times now) off the political threads?:biggrin: