Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Williamsburg VS Campbellsville 10/5
BDC Wrote:I do not believe their is 4 senior starters on defense, but I could be wrong. I know of Purdie, Loy, and Logan. Who else?

Sawyers
BDC Wrote:They have to play theior district which is all single A schools like them. They also play Pineville which maybe the longest running rivalry game in the mountains. I believe they both started playing in 1927. They played Leslie County and Harlan who most people would not call weak teams. They also played Oneida who they will get no credit for, but is better than most of the teams in our area (BIG, STRONG, and FAST). They returned all of the starters from a region final team. I will give you that Allen Central and Jellico are weak, but it is hard to say we should not play Jellico when they are the closest school to us (even though we are not playing next year). The good thing is the playoffs solve everything, and you will see just how good Williamsburg truley is.

Harlan and Pineville are in their 93rd year. Started in 1920 I believe. The Harlan Daily Enterprise had the article year before last. Although I'm sure they haven't played every single year but almost all of 'em. If I can find it I will post the article.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Harlan, Oneida and Oliver springs beat Williamsburg last year. Pineville beat Williamsburg two years ago. Allen Central and Leslie county played them into the last minute of the game last year which were both decided by less than a touchdown. Within their district Berea and Campbellsville both played them tough last year. Berea was a one score game. Coach Cobb when interviewed when he resigned stated that they should have won the game last year. Lynn Camp was a blow out but that is a district game. Jellico was a blow out each of the last two years. But they are a traditional foe who Williamsburg has played the majority of the last 50 years. This schedule was made when Coach Herron knew he would be relying on freshmen and sophomores for two years. The Sizemore family was also still living in Letcher County and Coach Herron had know idea he would be there until august of last year. These games were scheduled on a two year contract. I would expect their schedule to be much tougher next year when he knows he will have a junior lead team with Sizemore at the helm. Williamsburg's senior class is small in number but very productive. Jeffers and Loy are huge and along with Helton anchor a very good line for Williamsburg. Hamblin is a jack of all trades. He is a starting receiver who has caught and run the ball effectively. He has been a force at linebacker this year but has played the end in the past. He is also the backup quarterback. Don't forget he started at Qback early last year. He punts and has kicked off. Sawyers and Purdie are the heart and soul of the team. They both play both ways and get after it. Sawyers is fullback this year but was a guard last year. When injuries depleted the Jackets up front against Oneida he put the 69 jersey on and returned to the trenches. He plays nose and linebacker on D. Purdie has taken Andrews place since he was injured at receiver and did a good job. He plays a good cover corner and is not afraid to make an open field tackle. He also always seems to be around the ball on kick coverage. Though not a large class they will be sorely missed next year.
I wasn't saying they won't be good next year. Except for Logan, all the skill position players will be back, but the line will be smaller and younger so I worry if they will be able to protect those skill players as well. I hope I'm wrong.
I hope C-Ville wins, but think that Williamsburg is a better team. Williamsburg by 30+
Twitter: @tc_analytics