Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Belfry @ Ashland 11/11
Tongue.   Sick.    Smile

I wonder who Bob Segar will be rooting for in this game.
[-] The following 3 users Like Westside's post:
  • Granny Bear, jetpilot, Patriot1
(11-10-2022, 10:40 PM)Westside Wrote: Tongue.   Sick.    Smile

I wonder who Bob Segar will be rooting for in this game.

Bob was one of the more entertaining posters on the board during the Johnson Central and Ashland "rivalry", if you could even call it that.  I think he took a bad FG call at Putnam Stadium in 2005 to heart as he blasted everything about Ashland on here for many years as the Golden Eagles went on to go 15-2 against the Tomcats since that game.  He was relentless and clever with his jabs, but the series between the 2 schools wasn't competitive overall.  There have been rumblings of Ashland moving back to 4A next season.  Bob would love that as I'm sure Johnson Central is ready to crush some dreams once more as the Tomcats have some of their better teams in a while coming up the next few seasons.

As for this game tonight, though, Putnam Stadium, albeit known as the church for Tomcat fans, isn't known to be particularly well-drained.  Seems like I recall a game being completely cancelled just a few years ago there because the field literally flooded.  The amount of rain that is going to fall all day today should SIGNIFICANTLY change this game.  I don't know which team will benefit, but it will definitely alter the sport being played this evening.
I wouldn't say that the rivalry between Ashland and Johnson Central was not competitive. Johnson Central dominated the series based on wins and district titles, but most of the games were competitive. Thanks to Coach Matney, Johnson Central won nearly every game that was close, including at least a couple in which Johnson Central came from behind to win in the last minute or last seconds of the game. There is nothing more satisfying to beat a rival on the last play of the game and spoil their playoff plans.

I am picking Belfry in a close game. It is hard to believe that Ashland has never lost to Belfry in Putnam Stadium, but I don't think that Belfry's best teams played them at Putnam. Hopefully, the Pirates will break that streak tonight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • jetpilot
(11-11-2022, 09:39 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I wouldn't say that the rivalry between Ashland and Johnson Central was not competitive. Johnson Central dominated the series based on wins and district titles, but most of the games were competitive. Thanks to Coach Matney, Johnson Central won nearly every game that was close, including at least a couple in which Johnson Central came from behind to win in the last minute or last seconds of the game. There is nothing more satisfying to beat a rival on the last play of the game and spoil their playoff plans.

I am picking Belfry in a close game. It is hard to believe that Ashland has never lost to Belfry in Putnam Stadium, but I don't think that Belfry's best teams played them at Putnam. Hopefully, the Pirates will break that streak tonight.

Couple of fun facts for you...

Johnson Central won those 15 games against Ashland by an AVERAGE of 25 points and that's with the 3 1-point wins factored in.  There were those 3 games that were competitive when Ashland had Hunter at QB and Baker at RB, but otherwise the series was a complete domination.

Those who would criticize Ashland's scheduling would be quick to point out that out of all of Ashland's wins over Belfry, NONE have come against any of Belfry's state title squads.  It used to be said that the Tomcats cancelled the series after 2012, right before Belfry won 4 state titles in a row.  Ashland has been very fortunate to get Belfry in their "down" years.
(11-11-2022, 10:00 AM)16thregioner Wrote:
(11-11-2022, 09:39 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I wouldn't say that the rivalry between Ashland and Johnson Central was not competitive. Johnson Central dominated the series based on wins and district titles, but most of the games were competitive. Thanks to Coach Matney, Johnson Central won nearly every game that was close, including at least a couple in which Johnson Central came from behind to win in the last minute or last seconds of the game. There is nothing more satisfying to beat a rival on the last play of the game and spoil their playoff plans.

Couple of fun facts for you...

Johnson Central won those 15 games against Ashland by an AVERAGE of 25 points and that's with the 3 1-point wins factored in.  There were those 3 games that were competitive when Ashland had Hunter at QB and Baker at RB, but otherwise the series was a complete domination.

Those who would criticize Ashland's scheduling would be quick to point out that out of all of Ashland's wins over Belfry, NONE have come against any of Belfry's state title squads.  It used to be said that the Tomcats cancelled the series after 2012, right before Belfry won 4 state titles in a row.  Ashland has been very fortunate to get Belfry in their "down" years.
Average score (1998-2018): Johnson Central 33  Ashland 20 (JC won 17 and lost 7)

Average score (2005-2018 - the Matney era): Johnson Central 37  Ashland 17  (JC won 17 and lost 3)

Johnson Central has dominated the series but not by by such a margin to keep Ashland from being considered a rival. Johnson Central's average margin over all district opponents during the Matney era is probably 36+. I could be mistaken, but I believe that Ashland is the only district opponent to ever defeat Johnson Central since they moved to 4A.
Doesn’t look like it’s going to be ideal field conditions tonight. I predict a low scoring game. Might be a couple plays a player has a chance to break a long play and slips and falls due to muddy conditions.
We are SATURATED in SE Kentucky!!
Belfry won at Ashland in 1989. That is their only road win. Does anyone know if tickets are sold at the gate or are they pre sold electronically?
If only they both could lose...
(11-11-2022, 03:45 PM)bucslover68 Wrote: Belfry won at Ashland in 1989.  That is their only road win.  Does anyone know if tickets are sold at the gate or are they pre sold electronically?
Sold at the gate
Ashland has improved a lot since first of season and has ton speed and weapons on offense but still not enough to pull this game out. Haywood just has secret sauce he gives them boys in playoffs!!!! A lot things change in this world but Belfry is almost main stay in playoffs. They always make it to at least regional or semifinals and this year no different. Look for this be sloppy game with many turnovers. But Pirates pull one out there hat.
Curious to see how field conditions affect gameplay tonight. If it costs Ashland, they may start the turfing of Putnam on Monday  Big Grin
I like Belfry this week. Heck its the playoffs. They always show this time of year. Belfry but its close real close
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Tomcats 7-0. 2 play 72 yard drive.

Belfry 3 and out.

Tomcats playing solid D. Belfry fumbles Ashland Ball at the Belfry 26.
13-0 Ashland :41 1st.
TD Tomcats PAT no good 13-0. Strader to Jennings on a 37 yard TD pass. Belfry is Superman in 3A. Putnam Stadium and the Tomcats maybe their Kryptonite. 13-0 Tomcats end of 1.

Tomcats D at least so far has come to play.
Ashland may be the most improved team from the 1st game to now in 3A. They are playing good football.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • T-CATS
21-0 Ashland 3:05 2nd
TD Tomcats. 40 yard TD pass to #8 Houston. Remember what I said the Tomcats are undefeated when he catches a 40 yarder. Belfry can’t defend the Tomcats pass offense. Ashland with 3 different receivers with 30 plus catches in a season ever. 2 point conversion good 21-0 Tomcats.

Belfry fumbles Ashland scores again 28-0 Tomcats 1:41 till half.
28-0 Ashland 1:41 2nd.
[-] The following 1 user Likes GOREDDEVILS's post:
  • T-CATS
Belfry’s last 6 quarters at Putnam Stadium they have scored 3 points.

Make it 10…. Belfry scores on the last play before half. 28-7 Tomcats. Think the receiver pushed off to score but hey I’ll take it.

Scratch the push off went back and watched the play again was a good play by the WR. Belfry trying to throw it around to get back into the game may be their only chance because Ashland’s D has come to drop the run and have.

Belfry 2 turnovers Ashland 0. Ashland has dominated the first half but Belfry won the toss and gets the 2nd half kickoff.

Belfry was driving but threw a pick.

Ashland throws a pick

35-7 Tomcats late 3rd.. Tomcats are dominating this football game.

PUTNAM STADIUM - ASHLAND TOMCATS

Check and Mate

41-7 Tomcats went for 2 and the running clock
Who will Ashland play next week? Right now they have to be considered a dark horse in 3A.
Belfry has attempted 53 passes this season 18 in this game. Tomcats are legit 3A contenders