Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should The "ALL A" Classic Be Discontinued?
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:I see where everyone is coming from. I still can't get past the point where there is the Sweet 16 for a reason--to crown one champion. When you throw things in like the All A--then you get away from that.

When you compare football to basketball, the talent curve is still there (from small schools to big schools) but it isn't anywhere near as drastic. That speaks to the fact that the Sweet 16 should stay--and all other should go. I can also see the argument for the small schools. It would also be easier to have a "grand champion" in basketball (1A vs 3A, 2A vs 4A = winners to play in championship). This would never work in football because AAAA would most likely win every year. Again--the talent curve isn't as big with basketball (5 players vs 11 players). It would still be hard--but a small school could win.

To sum it up--I am all or nothing. If we are going to keep the Sweet 16--then get rid of the All A. If we are going to keep the All A, then add a class tournament.

The All A is a invitational tournament with reps from 16 different regions open only to the A schools according to their bylaws. The KHSAA sweet 16 is open to All teams, no restrictions.
The All A is a great event it allows smaller schools an opportunity to win a"state" championship. The sweet 16 has not seen a class team win it since paintsville.

the All A does not take away from the sweet 16, it never has. and to be honest if the KHSAA could shut it down, it would because they hate it.
I crack up when I see quotes about how pure our state is becasue of one champion, that Bravo Sierria at best. We have 4 class's in football. Why? Are we saying that small schools cant compete on the same level as big schools.
So what is the difference, as far as I know a football field is 100 yards long with 2 in zones goal post etc. A baskettball court has 2 goal 3 sec lanes backboards etc
I think the rules for both sports are the name no matter what the class.
1A and 4A teams put 5 people on the floor
1A and 4A teams put 11 people on the field.
So if you get down to it then break it up, or tear it down.
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:Therefore, I have to ask--what, again, is the point of having it in the first place?

The sole purpose of the All 'A' tournament was established for small school teams that never get invited to tourneys like the LIT, AIT, or any of the bigger tournaments. It began as an invitational tournament and then was expanded statewide. The tournament exposes some of the smaller schools and it allows the schools to compete with each other as opposed to competing to larger schools with a larger enrollment.

The main argument behind it all is teams that aren't dropping to Class A in football should not be dropping into the All "A" Classic. It's an argument that could carry on and on...The only problem I see with the All 'A' is that I think the tournament should make some adjustments in numbers to maintain its original purpose, which is allowing true Class A schools to compete for a state title. I think the All 'A' tournament is great for class A schools and no, it should not be discontinued....

On the otherhand, it isn't often that you see the same team win both the All 'A' State tournament and a Sweet 16 State Tournament....

In the end, it's the bigger schools that draw in the $$$. Without the bigger schools involved, like it or not, the All 'A' tournament would be no more because they couldn't continue to keep it going financially.....
Not to drag this out--but I have to point out/ask . . .

(Keep in mind--I like the All A--but I like it better as a "true" state championship--which is different than where I started).

There is a difference between the All A and "school-sponsored" tournaments. I know that there are a few other Invitationals that are not "school-sponsored". I wonder what the affect would be if the LIT suddently became the "LIT AAA Classic". Would it water down the Sweet 16 and possibily even the All A?

The other thing I wonder about--do the schools that win the All A Classic consider it to be a "small school STATE CHAMPIONSHIP"? Do they get rings? Do they call their selves "state champions"?

By the way--there are some great viewpoints in regard to this topic--without it getting out of control. That speaks for the quality of "us".
I know in a earlier post I said Jefferson Pilot sponsered the All A. I was wrong, it is Touchstone Energy. It is just a statewide tourney that has nothing to do with the KHSAA. If they want to have a 2-A, 3-A, and a 4-A tourney like the All A is, then they need to get some corperate sponsorship and go ahead and do them. Touchstone started the All A. They sponser it, they make the rules as to who can get in it and who cant just the same as Ashland determines who gets in the AIT. The only difference in the AIT and the All A is that there are many more schools in the All A classic. If the people at Ashland want to invite as many teams to there tourney as Touchstone Energy does for there tourney, then they have that option.

As far as what the winning team calls themselfs, well, I dont know any player on any team that has won the All A so I dont know what they call it. I am sure they are not considered state champions. I would assume they say they won the All A like everyone else calls it. And for the sake of arguement, if a team wins the All A, then cant they say they are the best team in Ky as far as small schools goes? If not, why can the winner of the sweet 16 say they are the best team in the state for any size school?
I know that hazard wears State championship rings from the all a.
As far as the lit and corp sponsorship i suggest that you look at the dist trophies from last year they for the first time have a bank which is above all else on the trophies
the balls ar KHSAA rawlings nice kickback to the khsaa for that as well.
I think if you ask Im sure belfry has state championship rings form winning AA
The thought that one hurts the other is for lack of a better tem silly.

The All A was the brain child of Cox and Combs they took it befor the KHSAA 3 times befor it was approved.
And let me tell I know for a fact the khsaa hates it with a passion I was at the Hyatt the day that a former KHSAA leader said that it was a ****ant of a tourney and that we were lucky to have it.

What if I got corporate sponsorship and said I am going to invite all the real single county schools, that would mean no city, no private and no double A schools who wouldn't love it.

The argument that it hurts the sweet 16 doesnt hold water IMO.

I tell you one better than that what if ESPN said they wanted to sponsor a national championship in basketball and football, and the games conflicted with our state championships. Gues what Im sure trinity and ST X would love to play for a national title as opposed to the state title.
Or lex cath and Scott co and south Laural all with at large bids playing in the 64 team national high school championship.
Keep in mind that anyone can host their own tournament and can set their own standards when they organize it....

With that, what are we actually complaining about? It's all about the kids getting exposure anyways and them having fun during the process. The All 'A' does more than exceed these two things and that's why it is a great part of KY basketball. I think it's an honor to have a tournament like the All 'A' to fulfill many players' dreams of getting to play in a smaller state tournament.....
To put it nicely--(I hate to sound arrogant here--but it needs to be said) I almost have enough "true" state championship rings to fill 2 hands--and it is an insult to think that the All A Classic = State Championship to some. 7 out of the 8 are from a Class A school. No offense to Hazard, but is it really worth a ring? Doubt it.

Again, the All A should stay, but it should take its proper place. It is a tournament, not THE Tournament. It can/should be marketed anyway--with the exception of it being the "small school state championship".

It is also interesting that the KHSAA doesn't care for the All A Classic. In track/cross country, the KTCCCA (Kentucky Track Cross Country Coaches Association) puts on numerous non sanctioned "state championships" (indoor track, middle school/elementary state championships) with the BLESSING of the KHSAA. (Which is funny--because the KTCCCA is the most corrupt coaches association in the state). I can't begin to fathom why one is okay and the other is looked down on.
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:To put it nicely--(I hate to sound arrogant here--but it needs to be said) I almost have enough "true" state championship rings to fill 2 hands--and it is an insult to think that the All A Classic = State Championship to some. 7 out of the 8 are from a Class A school. No offense to Hazard, but is it really worth a ring? Doubt it.

Enough rings to fill 2 hands... either you won state championship rings in multi-sport years, or as a coach you won state championships like crazy if your age in your profile is correct. Either that or you bought them at the flea market...
Quote:Again, the All A should stay, but it should take its proper place. It is a tournament, not THE Tournament. It can/should be marketed anyway--with the exception of it being the "small school state championship".
I dont think anyone ever refered to the All A classic as "The State Tournament". I would think that most people who follow high school sports would know that single A schools are different than 4-A schools just because the size factor. So I dont see it being a problem being confussed with the Sweet 16.

Quote:It is also interesting that the KHSAA doesn't care for the All A Classic. In track/cross country, the KTCCCA (Kentucky Track Cross Country Coaches Association) puts on numerous non sanctioned "state championships" (indoor track, middle school/elementary state championships) with the BLESSING of the KHSAA. (Which is funny--because the KTCCCA is the most corrupt coaches association in the state). I can't begin to fathom why one is okay and the other is looked down on.
Maybe because the KHSAA doesnt have any control over the All A, where they may in the cross country like you are talking about. Who knows, maybe people on the board of directors are coaches or favor bigger schools who actually have more ticket sales. There are many reasons that it can be, but no one will know for sure.
How long before most of the schools figure out how to become eligible to play in it. I feel it all comes down to money and how can the company make more. Kinda like the college bowl games. If your University has a 60 40 season but brings huge crowds, they'll get a bid to a bowl game. Like UK football in some cases.
Yes! If you are goin to have this you should have the "All AA," "All AAA," and "All AAAA." This isn't fair to mid to large schools.
"BasketBallonlyfan" Wrote:Enough rings to fill 2 hands... either you won state championship rings in multi-sport years, or as a coach you won state championships like crazy if your age in your profile is correct. Either that or you bought them at the flea market...

I dont think anyone ever refered to the All A classic as "The State Tournament". I would think that most people who follow high school sports would know that single A schools are different than 4-A schools just because the size factor. So I dont see it being a problem being confussed with the Sweet 16.

Maybe because the KHSAA doesnt have any control over the All A, where they may in the cross country like you are talking about. Who knows, maybe people on the board of directors are coaches or favor bigger schools who actually have more ticket sales. There are many reasons that it can be, but no one will know for sure.

By far--one of the most insulting posts that I have ever read.

I didn't "buy" anything at a flea market. Get a life buddy--I earned every single one that I have. Maybe you should do a little more investigation before you make silly comments like that.

And for your information--I have them from multiple sports (football, track).

The point of the matter is--there are a lot of people who consider the All A to be the "small school state championship" for basketball. That is the truth whether you will admit it or not. It isn't--point blank. And I know enough to understand what is going on with the situation.
"KentuckyHillBilly5321" Wrote:By far--one of the most insulting posts that I have ever read.

I didn't "buy" anything at a flea market. Get a life buddy--I earned every single one that I have. Maybe you should do a little more investigation before you make silly comments like that.

And for your information--I have them from multiple sports (football, track).

The point of the matter is--there are a lot of people who consider the All A to be the "small school state championship" for basketball. That is the truth whether you will admit it or not. It isn't--point blank. And I know enough to understand what is going on with the situation.

And just to clear things up--I won them as a coach--not a player.
No i think it is a good thing, it gives the smaller schools a chance to play aginst "teams their own size" nothing against the smaller schools though (im from one) but i think it is a good thing.
Let it be!
Ithink the all a is great and gives schools a chance to compete on a state level.