Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Middle School State Tournament
Who will Dorton be playing today??
"The Dork" Wrote:Who will Dorton be playing today??

They player the Anderson County/Caldwell Co. winner in about an hour..Not sure on who won that game..

Virgie tips off against Russell County in a couple hours...

Pikeville lost to Corbin this morning so they're out...Not sure on anything else right now...
Good Luck to the remaining Pike County teams in this tournament...:Cheerlead
Has Betsy Layne Played Today?
Virgie beat Russell County, and Mulhenburg South today, and play Jackson St. tomorrow in the Elite 8...

Sebastian & Corbin play each other in Elite 8 competition tomorrow...

All other East Kentucky teams are out...

Betsy Layne lost to Winburn in the 1st round of bracket play and was eliminated immediatly...

Dorton lost to Anderson County today and was eliminated...

Cody Varney of Dorton scored 35 points in the loss which is a tournament record for points in a game...

Taylor Newsome of Virgie added 23 points to his tournament performance today vs. Mulhenburg South..

The final games are tomorrow..I'll let you know how they go...:thumb:
how is hazard doin????
For information go to: http://www.playkba.com
Click on Middle School State Tourney Info
You will find scores, brackets, scoring leaders etc... for this years tourney.
Sebastian Middle School (Breathitt) is taking on Highlands at 2:30 for the championship. Virgie lost to Highlands in the semi-finals this afternoon. It would have been pretty cool to see 2 mountain teams battle it out for the the championship. 14th region vs. 15th region. Good luck Sebastian.
That sucks about Virgie losing..I'd loved to have seen back to back titles....Going to the final four isnt too shabby though...
does any 1 know who won the finals?????
Highlands beat Sebastian in the finals...
This suprises me. I didn't think Highlands would get by Scott County. Then when they beat Virgie. I didn't think there guard could get it done. He was really small. Congrats to all teams that did good this weekend.
"WOW" Wrote:Sebastian Middle School (Breathitt) is taking on Highlands at 2:30 for the championship. Virgie lost to Highlands in the semi-finals this afternoon. It would have been pretty cool to see 2 mountain teams battle it out for the the championship. 14th region vs. 15th region. Good luck Sebastian.

Looks like they lost a close one to Highlands--who was the eventual tournament champs...still a good showing by Virgie...Congrats to Ashley Hatfield, Taylor Newsome from Virgie and Cody Varney from Dorton for making the All Tournament Team..:Thumbs:
Who drove Virgie's bus back home, Hatfield or Newsome??? Just kidding congrats on a good tourney Virgie!!
Read on KBA's website that Austin Smith of Hindman made the All-Tournament Team. Just wondering if anyone knows the name of his mother? My family knew a woman from that area who had a son named Austin Smith, should be about the right age. If I recall correctly he should have turned 14 in August.
When the 60 team field from all over the state was narrowed down to four teams, two came from Eastern KY (Virgie & Sebastian) and two from Northern KY (Highlands & Ockerman). From these schools, four of the top middle school players from across the state of KY that get mentioned on this website and Bluegrass Preps website a lot made the All Tournament Team....

From Virgie, Ashley Hatfield & Taylor Newsome
From Ockerman, Austin Flannery & Ryan Popp

All four are great young men and very good basketball players! Congratulations!!!:thumb:
"WOW" Wrote:Read on KBA's website that Austin Smith of Hindman made the All-Tournament Team. Just wondering if anyone knows the name of his mother? My family knew a woman from that area who had a son named Austin Smith, should be about the right age. If I recall correctly he should have turned 14 in August.
Her maiden name was Gayheart. I don't know her first name.
"free throw" Wrote:Her maiden name was Gayheart. I don't know her first name.

Thank you!! This ladies name was Lu/Lou. (sp?). I think her husbands name was Tim. I think she had a brother -- James Gayheart. So this may well be the same person. I
"WOW" Wrote:Thank you!! This ladies name was Lu/Lou. (sp?). I think her husbands name was Tim. I think she had a brother -- James Gayheart. So this may well be the same person. I
Yes , she is a sister to James Gayheart and her husbands name is Tim.
"51513" Wrote:This suprises me. I didn't think Highlands would get by Scott County. Then when they beat Virgie. I didn't think there guard could get it done. He was really small. Congrats to all teams that did good this weekend.

I'd say most people who saw him and didn't know him doubted his ability to get it done against elite competition. The kid amazed me in the semis and finals. He played two of the most efficient games I saw in the tournament. Besides the shots he got blocked, he hardly missed a shot. He hit a huge 3 in overtime to beat Virgie and then hit a runner with 7.5 seconds left to beat Sebastian in the finals. He was definitely the MVP in my eyes. Great to see a kid beat the odds and thrive against such bigger and stronger players. Congratulations Highlands.
"Dream_Weaver" Wrote:Looks like they lost a close one to Highlands--who was the eventual tournament champs...still a good showing by Virgie...Congrats to Ashley Hatfield, Taylor Newsome from Virgie and Cody Varney from Dorton for making the All Tournament Team..:Thumbs:

If Virgie had won, Taylor would probably have been MVP. He dominated in this tournament. He would have set the record for points in an entire tournament if he had gotten to play just one more game. I believe he had 96 points and the record was 100. He really stepped up.

Cody Varney had two huge performances. Against Cumberland County, he had 23 points on 5 of 6 from 3 point range, with 21 of those points coming in the first half. In the game against Anderson County, he had 35 points. He really made a name for himself this weekend, averaging 29 points per game.

Elisha Justice also had two great games with 27 against Cumberland County with 22 of those points coming in the 2nd half on 4 of 6 from 3 point range. Against Anderson County he had 17 points and 6 assists. He set Cody up many times.

To me Ashley Hatfield was one of, if not, the most talented players there. He can shoot from deep or midrange, rebound, pass, handle the ball, and dominate in the post.

Great performances from both Dorton and Virgie players in a great tournament.
Good Post Ekbb Looks Like The Bci And Kba Middle School Tourneys Had The Same Top Quality Teams With The Same Top Players That You Mentioned Comming To The Forefront To Lead Their Teams.
"bball fan" Wrote:Who drove Virgie's bus back home, Hatfield or Newsome??? Just kidding congrats on a good tourney Virgie!!

haha- actually no- i think his last name is Wright- and he went to Virgie when it was still a high school- thats cute though- yes. there holdbacks- but how many other schools have holdbacks on their teams. Virgie is the only team that gets this ridicule simply because they were the first to do this- holding back for sports specifically.
"DortonWildcat5" Wrote:If Virgie had won, Taylor would probably have been MVP. He dominated in this tournament. He would have set the record for points in an entire tournament if he had gotten to play just one more game. I believe he had 96 points and the record was 100. He really stepped up.

Cody Varney had two huge performances. Against Cumberland County, he had 23 points on 5 of 6 from 3 point range, with 21 of those points coming in the first half. In the game against Anderson County, he had 35 points. He really made a name for himself this weekend, averaging 29 points per game.

Elisha Justice also had two great games with 27 against Cumberland County with 22 of those points coming in the 2nd half on 4 of 6 from 3 point range. Against Anderson County he had 17 points and 6 assists. He set Cody up many times.

To me Ashley Hatfield was one of, if not, the most talented players there. He can shoot from deep or midrange, rebound, pass, handle the ball, and dominate in the post.

Great performances from both Dorton and Virgie players in a great tournament.

I have enjoyed watching them play several times this season....there is no other way to describe them other than really talented athletes...
What happened to the Knott Co. middle schools? I thought some of them (besides Hindman & June Buchanan) were going to compete in the state tournament.

By the way, Hindman played well after losing their first game to Highlands. Good job!