Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Future of Eastern KY needs your support
judgementday Wrote:All you can do is laugh about it. The middle class is what drives the nation but yet we are the ones to bear the burden of it.

I will have to agree with what was posted earlier in that Eastern KY communities are to blame. I live in East. KY and a third business located in town is closing its doors. The mayor and urban city council does nothing to bring in businesses. All they have done is raise local taxes and allow housing on Main St. to become eyesores because the current group doesn't want to "tell people how to live". Finally our city voted to go wet a couple weeks ago but the mayor and council members have already said they are going to delay the process as long as possible because they do not support it.

I just don't understand why small towns are so scared of change.

I live in Corbin. Were taking a big hit from the coal turn down.
I agree with everything your saying though.

Corbin voted to go wet last year, and its already brought in close to a million in taxes. With London, Barbourville, and Wburg dry, as well as there counties, Corbin gets huge profits from alcohol. I personally dont drink, but i see nothing wrong with it. Weve already repaved all the roads and side walks in town. It truly is benefiting the community.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I live in Corbin. Were taking a big hit from the coal turn down.
I agree with everything your saying though.

Corbin voted to go wet last year, and its already brought in close to a million in taxes. With London, Barbourville, and Wburg dry, as well as there counties, Corbin gets huge profits from alcohol. I personally dont drink, but i see nothing wrong with it. Weve already repaved all the roads and side walks in town. It truly is benefiting the community.

I drink occasionally and having a liquor store in my town will not change that but something needed to change. I have friends in the neighboring county that is dry and they are chomping at the bit for us to have a liquor store. They normally have to drive 45 minutes for beer compared to 15-20 minutes when the first store opens.