•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Pikeville High School?
God of Thunder Wrote:Where are all of the Copley fans hiding? We haven't heard from them in a while?
Were still here!!! I for one just see no need to get on here and try to "sell" the guy to the ones on here who dont like him just because they didnt like Jackson. Their minds are made up already. Others on here IMO have their own agenda as to why they dont want him in there. All you have to do is look at our games over the past three years and everyone would agree that Defense hasnt been the weak spot during that time. Copely had the #1 defense in all classes in 2006. This guy has got back nearly all the kids that weve lost for whatever reason in the past 2 years. And hes recieved numerous job offers since hes been here Id be willing to guess that one of those offers was his Alma Mater and he still chose to stay here. So heres a guy who has proven he can put a good product on the field (the part HE could control anyway), he can get kids out to play while still working them hard, and proven that hes not gonna bolt outta here whenever something "better" comes along. If anyone on here doesnt like him for whatever reason I respect theyre opinion but Im just saying dont think for 1 second that Copely will run his program just like Jackson did cause that WILL NOT be the case and Id say even Jackson himself would back that statement up. Ive said it before and Ill say it again. I think copely is the best guy for the job and given the chance I know he will prove me right. But, whoever we get as coach Ill still support this program 100%
Elwayfan Wrote:That's a rediculous statement. How do you you know how the whole community feels?
Pikeville needs someone that knows the kids and that the kids love playing for.
Pikeville needs Copley more than Copley needs Pikeville. If you look at what Copley has done with these kids since he's been there, then there's no way he shouldn't get the shot at head coach. The kids love him and will do anything for him. Look at the athletes he's made since taking over the weight training program. Heck, most of the coaches in the other sports are jealous of him because of how the kids respond to him. Coach Williams publicly acknowledged him and gave him due credit for making the players stronger and quicker during last season. Coach Preode also intrust Copley with his baseball players for their weight training. I would say that some key players on Pikeville's team will have alot to say before it's all finished. Pikeville's belly offense was put in place this past season by Copley, but he was'nt allowed to run it completely. Jackson wanted him concentrating more on the defense. Howard and some of these other coaches being mentioned on here run spread offenses, so why would a 2100 yard rusher want to come into his senior year on a team that likes to chuck it through the air 75% of the time. Remember that Ben Howard is not Hillard Howard( who was a wishbone belly coach). These are just some facts that I think are important to talk about.

First of all the spread offense is one of the best offenses to run out of (ex. West Virginia) because there is less people in the box to defend the run. Ask Barret Rogers who played with me at Pikeville. My offense at LCC ran the ball 458 times for 3,431 yards which is an average of about 7.5 yards every time we ran the ball. We threw the ball only 261 times for 2067 yards. So if that is "chuckin it" up 75% of the time, you need to work on your math. Don't get on here and talk about stuff you don't know about. Obviously you don't know much about football or you would know the spread offense is a great offense to highlight one particular running back. The wishbone is based on having 3 great backs.

I have not been contacted about the Pikeville job and I don't plan on getting contacted. I am perfectly happy here at LCC and I feel we have the chance to do something really special here. While I still love Pikeville football, I don't think it is meant for me to be there at this point in my career. Now that I have spoken to you all concerning this issue, I wish you would leave my name out of this thread. If you want to say stuff about my past experiences, please don't post them on the Internet. I messed up and that is all I can say. I learned from it and I have moved on. Thanks!
HazzBeen Wrote:[/b]

First of all the spread offense is one of the best offenses to run out of (ex. West Virginia) because there is less people in the box to defend the run. Ask Barret Rogers who played with me at Pikeville. My offense at LCC ran the ball 458 times for 3,431 yards which is an average of about 7.5 yards every time we ran the ball. We threw the ball only 261 times for 2067 yards. So if that is "chuckin it" up 75% of the time, you need to work on your math. Don't get on here and talk about stuff you don't know about. Obviously you don't know much about football or you would know the spread offense is a great offense to highlight one particular running back. The wishbone is based on having 3 great backs.

I have not been contacted about the Pikeville job and I don't plan on getting contacted. I am perfectly happy here at LCC and I feel we have the chance to do something really special here. While I still love Pikeville football, I don't think it is meant for me to be there at this point in my career. Now that I have spoken to you all concerning this issue, I wish you would leave my name out of this thread. If you want to say stuff about my past experiences, please don't post them on the Internet. I messed up and that is all I can say. I learned from it and I have moved on. Thanks!

Great post. A great majority of the people in Pikeville would love to have you. Hopefully it will happen. Best of luck to you. It's amazing what you guys have accomplished at LCC!
Maybe we should leave this thread alone until we see who the board decides to interview. I have a feeling that two of the names you have talked about (Howell and Howard) have better things to do than worry about Pikeville at this point! Sounds like Ben is very happy at LCC and I know that Howell is doing great at Tates Creek.... and I, for one, couldn't be happier for both of them!

This Pikeville job is not the wonderful thing that most make it out to be.... there used to be tradition and pride in that school.... now it seems to be a bunch of people who think that the world owes them something and believes that they will always be entitled to be one of the best programs in Class A.... those days are long gone and I, for one, don't see them coming back any time soon!

Everyone keeps saying Hillard Howard is gone, quit talking about him.... then quit living your lives and making comments about this program like it is still the 80's!
Great post PHS95! I agree!
PHS95 Wrote:Maybe we should leave this thread alone until we see who the board decides to interview. I have a feeling that two of the names you have talked about (Howell and Howard) have better things to do than worry about Pikeville at this point! Sounds like Ben is very happy at LCC and I know that Howell is doing great at Tates Creek.... and I, for one, couldn't be happier for both of them!

This Pikeville job is not the wonderful thing that most make it out to be.... there used to be tradition and pride in that school.... now it seems to be a bunch of people who think that the world owes them something and believes that they will always be entitled to be one of the best programs in Class A.... those days are long gone and I, for one, don't see them coming back any time soon!

Everyone keeps saying Hillard Howard is gone, quit talking about him.... then quit living your lives and making comments about this program like it is still the 80's!

I agree! Good post.
Everybody agrees that the days of being one of the top Class A programs are long gone? No way.
No, I think, if you read what was said, you will see that it is more the idea that Pikeville is entitled to anything! And, if you haven't noticed, the last time we were at the tip top of class A was the 80's.

Additionally, I think the other gentlemen were agreeing with me that this is not a dream job by any stretch of the imagination.... too much pressure and too much community interference. That is typically why good coaches don't seem to last here (Except for Hillard who is the exception to EVERY rule)! There seems to be no appreciation for the people that worked hard all their lives as players, non-paid assistants, teachers, and assistants... instead, most of the community wants to look down their nose at those people and spread rumors and lies. It is time for all alumni and currently interested parties to face facts-- these are not the glory days of PHS athletics, not by a long shot.... Good luck to whomever the board hires.... with all of these assistants out there who know more than you do, you're gonna need it!

Of course, feel free to disagree, but this is just my opinion!
Smile
PHS95 Wrote:Maybe we should leave this thread alone until we see who the board decides to interview. I have a feeling that two of the names you have talked about (Howell and Howard) have better things to do than worry about Pikeville at this point! Sounds like Ben is very happy at LCC and I know that Howell is doing great at Tates Creek.... and I, for one, couldn't be happier for both of them!

So I guess what your saying is that Ben and Jason are the only ones who could win at this school and since they dont want it now we should just suspend the program??? Gimmie a break.
That is not at all what I said.... There are many people who would do a good job, as there were three years ago when many quality candidates were overlooked. I am merely pointing out that there are many who would not consider this to be the huge opportunity that most are making it out to be!
PHS95 Wrote:That is not at all what I said.... There are many people who would do a good job, as there were three years ago when many quality candidates were overlooked. I am merely pointing out that there are many who would not consider this to be the huge opportunity that most are making it out to be!

Agreed!
FOX SPORTS Wrote:I played for Coach Howard also.
While he may not have run the belly exclusively, he most certainly did run the belly occasionally during his time at Pikeville.

But wasn't that back in the dark ages, FOX? Smile

Great post, BTW!

I agree that the spread offense is a great offense at the college level or high school level where you can get enough kids out to choose from. I love WVU's offense, but they have Pat White at QB. Steve Slaton is their highlight RB and he rushed for 1051 yards this season on 211 carries. Their QB rushed for 1335 yds on 197 carries.
Your QB also led your team in rushing with 827 Yds. While your highlight RB only had 811yds. My point is that the spread is geared more toward having a QB that can throw and run. I agree that it does highlight one particular back, but it is usually the Quarterback. Now you can throw the short passes to the RB, it's just another way of running the f-ball. I don't see Harmon or any other RB rushing for over 2000 yds. with a spread oriented offense. Because if your QB can't throw it all over the field, then you can't losen up the defense to keep 9 out of the box. My point was not to judge you in anyway, and by the way I've never posted anything about your past on this forum, it's none of my business. I think you have done a fine job at LCC and I wish you nothing but the best.
PHS95 Wrote:No, I think, if you read what was said, you will see that it is more the idea that Pikeville is entitled to anything! And, if you haven't noticed, the last time we were at the tip top of class A was the 80's.

Additionally, I think the other gentlemen were agreeing with me that this is not a dream job by any stretch of the imagination.... too much pressure and too much community interference. That is typically why good coaches don't seem to last here (Except for Hillard who is the exception to EVERY rule)! There seems to be no appreciation for the people that worked hard all their lives as players, non-paid assistants, teachers, and assistants... instead, most of the community wants to look down their nose at those people and spread rumors and lies. It is time for all alumni and currently interested parties to face facts-- these are not the glory days of PHS athletics, not by a long shot.... Good luck to whomever the board hires.... with all of these assistants out there who know more than you do, you're gonna need it!

Of course, feel free to disagree, but this is just my opinion!

I do disagree. Pikeville was a top notch class A power in the 90's and even in the year 2000. They were almost always ranked in the top three at least and made deep runs into the playoffs. They were in the state semi finals darn near every year. I also did not think that the board was doing the hiring. I thought that they formed a commitee to go through the applications and then do the interviews. What assistants no more than who?
This makes it sound like you already know who the hire is. I would say that whomever applies and is considered for the job will know his fair share of football whether he be an assistant or a former head coach.
Point taken, If you will notice, I have not bashed anyone's opinion or made it seem as though I know everything.... I expressed an opinion.....
This is Jason Howell. I would like to thank all of you who have mentioned my name in a positive manner in regards to the PHS Head Coaching Position.

I regret to say that I enjoy it here at Tates Creek High School, and I have no aspirations of becoming the Head Football Coach at Pikeville High School.

I do love my alma mater, and I wish them the best of luck in their coaching search and in their future endeavors.

As for my detractors..... I will not stoop to your level and make personal attacks in a public forum. BUT, you are more than free to contact me privately via PM. If you really want to know something about me, then ask! Otherwise...don't mention my name.

I used to enjoy reading the forums in an effort to keep up with Eastern Kentucky Football. I was highly disappointed when I saw my name being mentioned in a negative fashion.
^^^Another great post!
Jason Howell Wrote:This is Jason Howell. I would like to thank all of you who have mentioned my name in a positive manner in regards to the PHS Head Coaching Position.

I regret to say that I enjoy it here at Tates Creek High School, and I have no aspirations of becoming the Head Football Coach at Pikeville High School.

I do love my alma mater, and I wish them the best of luck in their coaching search and in their future endeavors.

As for my detractors..... I will not stoop to your level and make personal attacks in a public forum. BUT, you are more than free to contact me privately via PM. If you really want to know something about me, then ask! Otherwise...don't mention my name.

I used to enjoy reading the forums in an effort to keep up with Eastern Kentucky Football. I was highly disappointed when I saw my name being mentioned in a negative fashion.

Great post, Coach!
Elwayfan Wrote:I agree that the spread offense is a great offense at the college level or high school level where you can get enough kids out to choose from. I love WVU's offense, but they have Pat White at QB. Steve Slaton is their highlight RB and he rushed for 1051 yards this season on 211 carries. Their QB rushed for 1335 yds on 197 carries.
Your QB also led your team in rushing with 827 Yds. While your highlight RB only had 811yds. My point is that the spread is geared more toward having a QB that can throw and run. I agree that it does highlight one particular back, but it is usually the Quarterback. Now you can throw the short passes to the RB, it's just another way of running the f-ball. I don't see Harmon or any other RB rushing for over 2000 yds. with a spread oriented offense. Because if your QB can't throw it all over the field, then you can't losen up the defense to keep 9 out of the box. My point was not to judge you in anyway, and by the way I've never posted anything about your past on this forum, it's none of my business. I think you have done a fine job at LCC and I wish you nothing but the best.

The only reason our highlight back had only 811 yards is because I had 2 other backs that rushed for almost 800 yards along with my QB. Harmon is a great back and would succeed in any offense. Barrett Rogers is one of the all-time leading rushers at Pikeville and he played in the spread most of his career.
Jason Howell Wrote:This is Jason Howell. I would like to thank all of you who have mentioned my name in a positive manner in regards to the PHS Head Coaching Position.

ADMIN NOTE:
Welcome to the site Coach!!!
Sorry, you had to encounter negativity in this thread.
Just please remember, most of our members are very respectful when posting their opinions but there are a very small few that don't have the maturity to state an opinion without tearing down someone else.

Apologies from the staff.
Thank you Fox Sports, PHS95, and jetpilot !!

I appreciate the welcome and appreciate you guys!! It is guys like you that make Eastern Kentucky Sports fun to talk about! That is one of the things I personally miss about the mountains.... guys like you who truly support ALL mountain teams, athletes, and coaches!!
FOX SPORTS Wrote:ADMIN NOTE:
Welcome to the site Coach!!!
Sorry, you had to encounter negativity in this thread.
Just please remember, most of our members are very respectful when posting their opinions but there are a very small few that don't have the maturity to state an opinion without tearing down someone else.

Apologies from the staff.

I will second this!!

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
I appreciate the welcome and the support! I admire everything you guys do to try and promote the programs, athletes, and coaches there in the mountains!

KEEP UP THE POSITIVE WORK THAT SO MANY OF YOU DO!!
HazzBeen Wrote:The only reason our highlight back had only 811 yards is because I had 2 other backs that rushed for almost 800 yards along with my QB. Harmon is a great back and would succeed in any offense. Barrett Rogers is one of the all-time leading rushers at Pikeville and he played in the spread most of his career.
I agree, you guys had a great offense in the late 90's and in 2000. Barrett was as good of a RB as you'll find at the high school level. That was a special group of players that come along once every 10-15 years. You guys had the schools all-time leading receiver, all-time leading passer, and a great line in front of you.

I was wondering if you think the spread would be a good fit at Pikeville, with the current players they have.(I assume you've seen them play several times).
What do you think the key components are to have a successful spread offense?
I don't want you to feel like your being put on the spot and I will respect your decision if you don't want to answer.
Elwayfan Wrote:I agree, you guys had a great offense in the late 90's and in 2000. Barrett was as good of a RB as you'll find at the high school level. That was a special group of players that come along once every 10-15 years. You guys had the schools all-time leading receiver, all-time leading passer, and a great line in front of you.

I was wondering if you think the spread would be a good fit at Pikeville, with the current players they have.(I assume you've seen them play several times).
What do you think the key components are to have a successful spread offense?
I don't want you to feel like your being put on the spot and I will respect your decision if you don't want to answer.

Also, what do you guys think about Harmon at QB if Pikeville runs the spread? Very smart player, everyone knows how he can run, but he can also really throw the ball.
jetpilot Wrote:Also, what do you guys think about Harmon at QB if Pikeville runs the spread? Very smart player, everyone knows how he can run, but he can also really throw the ball.

Harmon could probably do whatever was asked of him on the football field. I know that passing the ball is probably the one thing that doesn't fit with him. He could do it, but passing is something he's never done. I don't think he would be an effective enough passer to losen up a defense.
Stay on topic please.

This thread is " Next Coach at Pikeville High School?"
I think with what Copely has done since he's been there, he should be the front runner for the head coach. He at least deserves the chance. He puts in the time and effort and should be rewarded for his dedication. He is not Coach Jackson, and for those that have a problem with Coach Jackson, you shouldn't hold this over Copely's head. I know he wants the job because he loves the kids at Pikeville and they love him to. He is running the program right now as business as usual in the weight room and from what I hear, it's standing room only with all the new kids that want to join the program.
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next