•  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Pikeville High School?
Dazed&Confused Wrote:I have just been skimming through this thread and it's definitely filled with some interesting posts...everyone is entitled to their opinions and I love all of the suggestions that have been made...but...honestly...none of us have any say as to who will get the next head coaching position at Pikeville High School.

As a former player, I loved the Coaching Staff that Pikeville had in place...and it really was devastating for me to hear that Coach J was leaving, but he obviously had some issues that he had to deal with and I respect that. With that said, I believe Coach Copley would be a great person for the Head Coaching Position at Pikeville. He puts so much hard work and dedication into everything he does and that was as an asst. coach...i can only imagine how much harder he would work as a head coach (if thats even possible!) The reaming coach's on Pikeville staff is great and i wouldn't replace any of them! I have nothing but great respect for all of them and i would go to battle with everyone one of them. I have honestly never heard of a coach and his staff being so close to their players and always being there for them...no matter what. Coach J had everything headed in the right direction for the Pikeville Program whether you all believe me or not...And now that he is gone, I couldn't think of anyone better to take over than Coach Copley. I still hang around the weight room and Copley has some new faces in there already...not to mention they are all working their butts off for him! I know that the players there right now would love nothing more than to have Coach Copley as their Head Coach...and I am with them 100%

I don't have the slightest clue as to who will be the head coach will be, or much less who all is applying. But what i do know is that Coach Copley will apply...and he is very deserving of the position. He gets the most out of his players and he is great at having his team prepared. If you don't believe me just look at what he has done with Pikeville's D...they have been very highly ranked in the state ever since he has been there. IMO I don't know if anyone is more deserving of this head coach job at Pikeville. I don't mean to put down anyone else's suggestions as to who they think should get the job, but i am a strong believer in Copley and the rest of the staff that is in place. With a few additions of former players as coaches ( ex. Chase Gibson) I really believe that Pikeville will be headed in the right direction...and with Copley's leadership i think he can take Pikeville back to the top...despite what many others think. If former players had any say as to who the new head coach was...you would see me out there campaigning for Copley!

I hope all goes well and the best candidate gets the job...It's time for Pikeville Football to get back to the TOP!
:Thumbs: :Thumbs: :Thumbs:
State Champs Wrote:What is Pikeville's schedule for next season? Any new teams on the schedule.
The only difference is weve got Corbin in the PCB. We play at Ashland, at LexCath, At P-burg. Weve got Belfry at home this year as well.
hootie Wrote:Pikeville football is done. They will finish at the top of their district every year due to a weak district, but they are not going to compete for a state championship anymore. I wish they could but I don't see it happening. I can see a shift in sports there. They are now turning into a basketball school!

It has more to do with the talent then the coaches. No good coach is going to come into a program that is going to loose as much as they have this graduation. Take away Daniel Harmon and they might not get a first down.

I continue to here this talk about PHS football, but it will never be back to where it was. They have to pull in some recruits like they use to and it is not happened for some time. Just think if they didn't have their local recruits. They would have really struggles this year.

When Daniel Harmon leaves, Pikeville football is certainly not over, Its basically just beginning. When you look at the backs in Sophomore, JR Robinson, Houston MacAnallen, but we all know how that is, Freshman theres Ross McCoy and Taylor Ratliff, 8th Grade even has talented back, Gavin Miller.

As far as coaching goes, Coach Copley can handle it 100% guaranteed, 110% with an excellent staff which stand behind him. I've talked to some coaches recently and they predict that the Panthers will be even better. And they will but with just a tougher schedule than normal. Notice that all schools who crush them in season are 4A, 3A and 2A. Because they dont get any better just returning kickoffs over and over each game in the 1A divison. And i dont really get what you mean about recruiting? Cause if you mean asking players to play in the school, every school does that.
Why would the Pikeville administration post the Head Coaching position if Coach Copley was the person in line for the job people.
State Champs Wrote:Why would the Pikeville administration post the Head Coaching position if Coach Copley was the person in line for the job people.

Coach Copley is basically a Temporary Coach.

Don't get me wrong, I like Copley, I'd love for him to be the head coach

Where did Jackson go??
What is everyones thoughts and predictions.
Let's try to keep this one civil so it doesn't get closed like the other one.
Yeah, I agree...... a nice discussion would be like a breath of fresh air....

If you need assistance feel free to e-mail me at:
[email=phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com]phs1986@bluegrassrivals.com[/email]
Post your opinions, ask your questions, make your statements...just be respectful of ALL members and staff and follow the rules...This thread will be watched closely.
I would like to see Coach Copley take over as Head Coach and add another good assistant to the program.
If...Then Wrote:When Daniel Harmon leaves, Pikeville football is certainly not over, Its basically just beginning. When you look at the backs in Sophomore, JR Robinson, Houston MacAnallen, but we all know how that is, Freshman theres Ross McCoy and Taylor Ratliff, 8th Grade even has talented back, Gavin Miller.

As far as coaching goes, Coach Copley can handle it 100% guaranteed, 110% with an excellent staff which stand behind him. I've talked to some coaches recently and they predict that the Panthers will be even better. And they will but with just a tougher schedule than normal. Notice that all schools who crush them in season are 4A, 3A and 2A. Because they dont get any better just returning kickoffs over and over each game in the 1A divison. And i dont really get what you mean about recruiting? Cause if you mean asking players to play in the school, every school does that.
He's in NC and he can't be mentioned unless he returns. Right now he is at another high school, and we must treat it as if he was at a local high school and not start to hint at a return unless there is solid proof.
State Champs Wrote:Why would the Pikeville administration post the Head Coaching position if Coach Copley was the person in line for the job people.

It's a simple thing called "The Law". Any job vacancy is required by law to be posted for 30 days. Then SBDM rules kick in. At Pikeville, I believe the rules say a committee will be brought together at the request of the principal and review applications. They will then decide how many to interview. After interviews, they will make a recommendation to the principal. The principal can accept the recommendation and offer the job or reject it an offer to someone else. He must "consult" with the SBDM council prior to making the decision known to the superintendent who will offer the contract.

There are always issues-if time is of the essence, the 30 days can be waived upon request by KDE. The job can be opened to "in-house" candidates only since a job in the system is essential. The principal can name a 1 year interim. Lots of options, but you can bet the law and policy will be followed.
TRAIN85 Wrote:What is everyones thoughts and predictions.

Prediction: Don't have one

Thought: I think it was evident who i wanted to get the job in my last post lol
Dazed&Confused Wrote:Prediction: Don't have one

Thought: I think it was evident who i wanted to get the job in my last post lol

Is this supposed to be funny?
TRAIN85 Wrote:Is this supposed to be funny?
Boy are we cranky in the mornings LOL!!!
Are you sure about that? I might be wrong but I think if Mr. Copley is all ready employed by the board and he could have been assigned by them to be the coach with out posting the position.
You can bet the law and policy will be followed.

I agree the law and policy needs to be followed.
State Champs Wrote:Are you sure about that? I might be wrong but I think if Mr. Copley is all ready employed by the board and he could have been assigned by them to be the coach with out posting the position.
I agree, state champs.
I believe if the hire is made "in house" no posting is required except internally.
That is true, Fox, but the past several coaching positions have been opened up.... especially if they know that they will have a teaching position to fill!

Last time around, they had several applicants in the building and still posted the job and went outside.... As far as I know, this is usually the way it goes!
PHS95 Wrote:That is true, Fox, but the past several coaching positions have been opened up.... especially if they know that they will have a teaching position to fill!

Last time around, they had several applicants in the building and still posted the job and went outside.... As far as I know, this is usually the way it goes!
You are correct...I think they(the administration) wants to see what kind of response they get statewide.

Rumor: There have already been approximately 15 potential candidates.
I think the Pikeville administration has to be very careful with this next hire. While I do believe a statewide search should definitely be done....I also think that ultimately the decision will have some type of local flavor.

Programs such as Pikeville and Belfry....essentially the two biggest football programs east of Bell Co...have to be careful to find coaches who are not only capable of leading the program...but have a finite understanding of the importance and tradition the programs have in their respective communities and the surrounding areas. In many ways, Football is a way of life for kids in Pikeville and Belfry. Whoever you introduce as the new coach.....they MUST UNDERSTAND AND EMBRACE THAT TRADITION.

I still say Shawn Hager would be a fabulous choice for Pikeville. Jim Matney would be another great hire. Not sure he would leave Johnson Central....but he would certainly energize the fan base in Pikeville.
What about Tony Sergent formerly from Whitesburg? He isn't coaching at Letcher County and did an outstanding job while he was head coach at Whitesburg when the program was dwindling. He was a great player at Whitesburg and went on to play for Morehead when they were playing in the OVC.
fbcoachnoitall Wrote:What about Tony Sergent formerly from Whitesburg? He isn't coaching at Letcher County and did an outstanding job while he was head coach at Whitesburg when the program was dwindling. He was a great player at Whitesburg and went on to play for Morehead when they were playing in the OVC.

I don't believe he is high profile enough or in tune with Pikeville enough to be considered.
If...Then Wrote:When Daniel Harmon leaves, Pikeville football is certainly not over, Its basically just beginning. When you look at the backs in Sophomore, JR Robinson, Houston MacAnallen, but we all know how that is, Freshman theres Ross McCoy and Taylor Ratliff, 8th Grade even has talented back, Gavin Miller.

I guess you wasn't around when Howard was there when he was competing for state year in and year out.
Faith Wrote:I guess you wasn't around when Howard was there when he was competing for state year in and year out.

I hope you aren't making insinuations that cannot be conclusively backed up!
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:In many ways, Football is a way of life for kids in Pikeville and Belfry. Whoever you introduce as the new coach.....they MUST UNDERSTAND AND EMBRACE THAT TRADITION.
I would go one step further and say whomever the new coach is should one that WANTS to be there...not just add to a resume.
I hope Coach Hager stays right were he is at. We are doing fine at SC with him and I don't want to loose him. I don't think he would leave us for the Pikeville job. The middle schools programs here are good and the future looks bright so why would he leave?
TRAIN85 Wrote:Is this supposed to be funny?

No, not at all...I was just saying that in my previous post i made it clear who i felt deserved the head coach job at Pikeville...Coach Copley!
Insight Wrote:I hope Coach Hager stays right were he is at.

You mean to tell me that Coach Hager is in front of the preposition! That is a crazy place for him to be. LOL
Was Howard still trying to come back?

IMO He's got a great program right where he is.
  •  Previous
  • 8(current)
  • Next