•  Previous
  • 14(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next Coach at Pikeville High School?
IRISH4 Wrote:I heard earlier that Pikeville will begin the interviewing process next week.
This is what I have heard as well.
TRAIN85 Wrote:This is what I have heard as well.

Ditto Choo Choo. They will actually have more than one opening after this semester. A couple of existing jobs were temporarily filled until the summer.
hillbilly Wrote:Ditto Choo Choo. They will actually have more than one opening after this semester. A couple of existing jobs were temporarily filled until the summer.

I would like to see Pikeville keep Adam Collins on staff. He is an asset in the classroom and on the baseball field. Hopefully they will see the same thing and keep him around.
stripminer Wrote:Why would they look to bring in a new jr. high coach. The current staff has only lost 3 games in 2 years. IMO this would be a slap in the face to Matt and Paul. Just ask the kids and parents who they want as their jr. high coaches.
Oh please! The two games they lost were the two championship games. They happen to be the two most important games of the year. Maybe those coaches don't have what it takes to win the big game. I heard that Matt missed some of the games due to deer season being in anyway. I am sure that they are good coaches but they need to put in the extra time that it requires to be really successful as a jr high coach or any other coach for that matter.
master the universe Wrote:Oh please! The two games they lost were the two championship games. They happen to be the two most important games of the year. Maybe those coaches don't have what it takes to win the big game. I heard that Matt missed some of the games due to deer season being in anyway. I am sure that they are good coaches but they need to put in the extra time that it requires to be really successful as a jr high coach or any other coach for that matter.
Youre joking right? What was the JR highs record when Matt took over in 2005?They were 2-9 in '04 and started out in 0-5 in 2005. When Matt took over in the middle of the year they went 5-1 from that point on. Yes Matt has lost 2 championship games to Belfry but hes also beat them 3 years in row in the regular season. IMO he will get quite a few county titles before its over. The only time Matt has missed a game was last years loss to Mullins when he and our entire 8th grade class was playing a freshmen game at Belfry. Now any other time when there isnt a game I wouldnt doubt Matt is in a tree stand somewhere. Take my advice next time think and THEN start type instead of the other way around.Wink
master the universe Wrote:Oh please! The two games they lost were the two championship games. They happen to be the two most important games of the year. Maybe those coaches don't have what it takes to win the big game. I heard that Matt missed some of the games due to deer season being in anyway. I am sure that they are good coaches but they need to put in the extra time that it requires to be really successful as a jr high coach or any other coach for that matter.

Matt and Paul are both extremely good coaches and put in plenty of time with those kids to turn them into good ball players. People lose games for whatever reasons but I guarntee that they didn't lose those two championship games because they don't have what it takes. Both have what it takes end of story. I don't want to hear another word about Matt and Paul not being good coaches.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Youre joking right? What was the JR highs record when Matt took over in 2005?They were 2-9 in '04 and started out in 0-5 in 2005. When Matt took over in the middle of the year they went 5-1 from that point on. Yes Matt has lost 2 championship games to Belfry but hes also beat them 3 years in row in the regular season. IMO he will get quite a few county titles before its over. The only time Matt has missed a game was last years loss to Mullins when he and our entire 8th grade class was playing a freshmen game at Belfry. Now any other time when there isnt a game I wouldnt doubt Matt is in a tree stand somewhere. Take my advice next time think and THEN start type instead of the other way around.Wink

Just to add to your post: Matt and I were on the jr high staff the entire year in 2005, he and I didn't just come on half way through like you imply HAIL.
TRAIN85 Wrote:Just to add to your post: Matt and I were on the jr high staff the entire year in 2005, he and I didn't just come on half way through like you imply HAIL.
Yes your right and Im sorry for any confusion I caused. I just meant that Matt took over as HC halfway through the year. You and Matt done a great job with those kids that year.
Let's See if We Can Get This Back on Track....

PLDunbar Coach, Hensley, was seen on PHS Campus today with wife in tow, being shown the building and facilities by Principal Mayo. No Rumor---FACT!
UKRULES Wrote:Let's See if We Can Get This Back on Track....

PLDunbar Coach, Hensley, was seen on PHS Campus today with wife in tow, being shown the building and facilities by Principal Mayo. No Rumor---FACT!

Anyone can visit the campus. Until the committee makes their choice this really doesn't mean anything.
UKRULES Wrote:Let's See if We Can Get This Back on Track....

I would imagine ALL who interview will be shown the campus and facilities...BTW, ALL CAMPUS Visitors must be accompanied by an employee/administrator.
jetpilot Wrote:Anyone can visit the campus. Until the committee makes their choice this really doesn't mean anything.

AGREED! Just wanted to let folks know who the interested parties are as they make themselves known. Wasn't suggesting he had the job or even an advantage--just that he's interested.
If Hensley is their big name coach, then Pikeville will not improve. Nothing personal against David, but if you can't win and be successful at PL Dunbar, then your not going to win at Pikeville. Or at least they way they want you to win there.
fbcoachnoitall Wrote:If Hensley is their big name coach, then Pikeville will not improve. Nothing personal against David, but if you can't win and be successful at PL Dunbar, then your not going to win at Pikeville. Or at least they way they want you to win there.
Hes not our "Big Name" Coach. Hes just an applicant at this point.
UKRULES Wrote:AGREED! Just wanted to let folks know who the interested parties are as they make themselves known. Wasn't suggesting he had the job or even an advantage--just that he's interested.

:thumpsup:
J.B. Donahue's name was mentioned in an earlier post. If he is an applicant, I think he would be a great hire. He understands programs that are Independent schools like Pikeville. He would be a great candidate to look at. But, I do believe that if the young man named Copley has been dedicated to the Pikeville program and community, then he should get his shot.
Why does all these guys, that won 1 or 2 games this past season at the school that now coach think, they will win if they go some place else.
Not that the application deadline is over and the interviewing process begins. I hope the committee takes into account the following considerations (this is not to be a list all points, but are some key ones to consider) and are not in any order of importance:

If Coach is coming from Urban area (Lexington, Louisville, etc), has he and HIS Family lived in a Rural area for more than 5 years.

If Coach is coming from a Larger School, has he coached at a Small School (A or AA in KY, maybe just A in other states)? Limited resources

Has the Coach been successful at a small school, as well as where he is now?

Has the Coach shown that he can develop players? At Pikeville you will have to develop players and this must start in Little League and continue until they graduate. The development of players does not have anything to do with Wins or Losses (with the County Grade School or Jr. High Championship is no indication of future success (only future fans expectation). What it is; is fundamentals, technique, strength, conditioning and self-confidence (believing that you and each of your teammate can compete and beat anyone).

Does the Coach have a connection to Pikeville and/or Pikeville HS?

Is this job a stepping stone or will he be in Pikeville for at least 10 years?
vgaacalj Wrote:Not that the application deadline is over and the interviewing process begins. I hope the committee takes into account the following considerations (this is not to be a list all points, but are some key ones to consider) and are not in any order of importance:

If Coach is coming from Urban area (Lexington, Louisville, etc), has he and HIS Family lived in a Rural area for more than 5 years.

If Coach is coming from a Larger School, has he coached at a Small School (A or AA in KY, maybe just A in other states)? Limited resources

Has the Coach been successful at a small school, as well as where he is now?

Has the Coach shown that he can develop players? At Pikeville you will have to develop players and this must start in Little League and continue until they graduate. The development of players does not have anything to do with Wins or Losses (with the County Grade School or Jr. High Championship is no indication of future success (only future fans expectation). What it is; is fundamentals, technique, strength, conditioning and self-confidence (believing that you and each of your teammate can compete and beat anyone).

Does the Coach have a connection to Pikeville and/or Pikeville HS?

Is this job a stepping stone or will he be in Pikeville for at least 10 years?
All of these are extremely good points. IMO this job isnt for everybody. 1A football is a much different beast than some of the higher classes and a coach who has competed at nothing but 3A or higher levels may not understand how to deal with it. Player development at the LL level is how you get better as a program at any level but its particularly essential at the 1A level. Youll never have the quantity of the bigger schools but you must have quality players to compete at a state championship level year in and year out.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:All of these are extremely good points. IMO this job isnt for everybody. 1A football is a much different beast than some of the higher classes and a coach who has competed at nothing but 3A or higher levels may not understand how to deal with it. Player development at the LL level is how you get better as a program at any level but its particularly essential at the 1A level. Youll never have the quantity of the bigger schools but you must have quality players to compete at a state championship level year in and year out.

Speaking about LL...Does Copley believe in a true LL program or a grade level program (i.e. 4th grade team, fifth grade team, etc.)?
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Speaking about LL...Does Copley believe in a true LL program or a grade level program (i.e. 4th grade team, fifth grade team, etc.)?
To be honest Im not real sure. I know Copely has told me that he is going to be alot more involved with the LL than previous coaches have been but I dont know what his philosophy is. I did like them going out and playing other schools LL teams last year. If nothing else it broke the monotiny of playing the same team every week for the kids. Also this weight limit nonsense where a kid over a certain weight cant run the ball needs changed. If these kids dont learn how to tackle someone bigger than them at the LL level its alot harder to try to teach them how to do it at the Jr High level. IMO this is one of those"Mommy Rules". Rules that were created to succour some of these whining mommies afraid their babies might get a little bruised. Anyway back on topic. I heard the selection commitee was starting the interview process monday. Anyone else hear this?
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:To be honest Im not real sure. I know Copely has told me that he is going to be alot more involved with the LL than previous coaches have been but I dont know what his philosophy is. I did like them going out and playing other schools LL teams last year. If nothing else it broke the monotiny of playing the same team every week for the kids. Also this weight limit nonsense where a kid over a certain weight cant run the ball needs changed. If these kids dont learn how to tackle someone bigger than them at the LL level its alot harder to try to teach them how to do it at the Jr High level. IMO this is one of those"Mommy Rules". Rules that were created to succour some of these whining mommies afraid their babies might get a little bruised. Anyway back on topic. I heard the selection commitee was starting the interview process monday. Anyone else hear this?

You sound like a big lineman that never got to run the ball...lol! That is the way it has been at Pikeville since I can remember. I kind of like it cause it gets the kids ready to play the position that they will likely play when they are older. If you didn't have this rule, you wouldn't have any lineman. They would all try out for RB or QB. It teaches kids at an early age that there is a place on the football field for every type of individual whether they be fat, skinny, short, or tall.

BTW Dunbar just posted an opening for an offensive coordinator. I don't know if that means anything or not.
If you dont understand the weight limit for LL U have no clue about player development or the specific safety issues associated with kids.
Chuck Taylor Wrote:Speaking about LL...Does Copley believe in a true LL program or a grade level program (i.e. 4th grade team, fifth grade team, etc.)?

IMO and conversations with - I think Copley believes in a combination - Grade School - Little League Format. Last year we have about 100 kids out (3rd - 6th), so it is hard have a team for each grade. I think he wants to have two 3rd-4th grade and two 5th-6th grade teams (based on about 100 kids, if the number is up then add another team) and let them play weaker schools (as Grade School league) and each other (Little League) the 1st half of the season (everyone gets to play more and develop faster) and then merge the teams for the second half of the season and play the stronger teams - just like the other Grade Schools in the County.

Copley knows that the future of Pikeville Football starts with the grade school and he is committed to the grade school program and his staff will be committed also.
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:To be honest Im not real sure. I know Copely has told me that he is going to be alot more involved with the LL than previous coaches have been but I dont know what his philosophy is. I did like them going out and playing other schools LL teams last year. If nothing else it broke the monotiny of playing the same team every week for the kids. Also this weight limit nonsense where a kid over a certain weight cant run the ball needs changed. If these kids dont learn how to tackle someone bigger than them at the LL level its alot harder to try to teach them how to do it at the Jr High level. IMO this is one of those"Mommy Rules". Rules that were created to succour some of these whining mommies afraid their babies might get a little bruised. Anyway back on topic. I heard the selection commitee was starting the interview process monday. Anyone else hear this?

The Pike County Grade School League had a starting limit of 125 lbs to carry the ball, this limited was increase as the season went on - I think at the rate of 2 lbs per week.

Pikeville played other schools who were not part of the League, including Belfry (they did not participate because of the weight limit).
Wow, that weight limit thing is crazy, in my opinion. That's the first I have ever heard of that. Many other schools in the area use it? We don't have anything like that down here, just wondering what other systems use it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pop Warner football has an age and weight limit.

http://www.popwarner.com/admin/structure...=structure
HazzBeen Wrote:You sound like a big lineman that never got to run the ball...lol!
You know as well as I do that as big as I was there was no chance I was gonna run the ball with or without a weight limit.LOL!
Not to get off topic, but if you are going to have a weight limit for players carrying the ball, then there should also be a weight limit for linebackers.
What happens when a 100lb. kid carrying the ball gets hit in the hole by a LB that outweighs him by 60 or so pounds. Same concept should apply if the rule is to be followed. At least at LB you can protect yourself. At RB there's not much choice in who you can hit.
I have never liked this rule. There are plenty of kids that were over the weight limit in Little League, therfore had to play line, then at the higher levels played running back or another skill position.
Tackling bigger players is part of football. It teaches kids to play low instead of standing up and hitting high. This is just my opinion. What are the benefits from this rule vs. the setbacks?
Let's try to keep this on topic about the future Pikeville coach guys. Feel free to start another thread about weight limits.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  •  Previous
  • 14(current)
  • Next